SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

MS Vista

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am looking for comments from anyone who has made the leap to the MS Vista OS. (Good, bad or ugly) I know there are plenty of reviews by "computer experts" to be found on the interweb, but I am looking for comments from real people. (You are all real people aren't you?) Wink

And for the sake of all humankind I do not want to make this into a PC/Mac/Linux debate. I have been in those debates before and would rather stick a fork into my eye before getting into another one!

419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm SERIOUSLY pissed with Windows and PCs for a variety of reasons, especially over the last month or so (nothing to do with Vista though). After 20+ years of PC use I am switching over to the Apple Mac in a couple of weeks.

Vista looks great (that's it) but I won't be using it Smile

----------------------------------
Shiver's scammer trophies.
----------------------------------
benjaminbunny
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to the Mac club Shiver Very Happy You won't regret it Wink

Oops, sorry Pastor, I missed the Mac/PC debate bit.
Heres a link that may help you make up your mind though:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6407419.stm

Scamwarners.com Advice and info about scams
Jolly Roger pony

Last edited by benjaminbunny on Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
dangermouse
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Some people seem to think that the main reason for upgrading to vista is the new GUI - this, apparently, gives you the new GUI look on XP. Haven't tried it so can't recommend!

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Vista-Transformation-Pack.shtml

I agree about PCs, Shiver - nothing but pain. I need to take the leap, but I always get suckered at the last moment by "the bottom line", which is not so "bottom" with Macs...
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thats why I am shopping around for advise. I figure that if I am going to make a clean break from MS this would be the time to do it. (Between XP and Vista) I don't want to go through the XP security and patch nightmare again with Vista. And from what I have been reading it seems like thats where it is headed.

Like you I have been on a PC for many years and if I make the change it will be painful to say the least.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^ edited my post with a useful link in case you missed it

Scamwarners.com Advice and info about scams
Jolly Roger pony
meyer
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Stay away from Vista at all costs.

No kidding. This is something you really, really do not want to have on your PC.

Here's why.

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/175801

Quote:

(...)
While those reviews have focused chiefly on Vista's new functionality, for the past few months the legal and technical communities have dug into Vista's "fine print." Those communities have raised red flags about Vista's legal terms and conditions as well as the technical limitations that have been incorporated into the software at the insistence of the motion picture industry.

The net effect of these concerns may constitute the real Vista revolution as they point to an unprecedented loss of consumer control over their own personal computers. In the name of shielding consumers from computer viruses and protecting copyright owners from potential infringement, Vista seemingly wrestles control of the "user experience" from the user.

Vista's legal fine print includes extensive provisions granting Microsoft the right to regularly check the legitimacy of the software and holds the prospect of deleting certain programs without the user's knowledge. During the installation process, users "activate" Vista by associating it with a particular computer or device and transmitting certain hardware information directly to Microsoft.

Even after installation, the legal agreement grants Microsoft the right to revalidate the software or to require users to reactivate it should they make changes to their computer components. In addition, it sets significant limits on the ability to copy or transfer the software, prohibiting anything more than a single backup copy and setting strict limits on transferring the software to different devices or users.

Vista also incorporates Windows Defender, an anti-virus program that actively scans computers for "spyware, adware, and other potentially unwanted software." The agreement does not define any of these terms, leaving it to Microsoft to determine what constitutes unwanted software.

Once operational, the agreement warns that Windows Defender will, by default, automatically remove software rated "high" or "severe," even though that may result in other software ceasing to work or mistakenly result in the removal of software that is not unwanted.
(...)

This is insane. Shocked Shocked

"I AM VERY MUCH AWARE OF YOUR CONCERNS BUT I HAVE TO LET YOU KNOW THAT IO MA NOT A CRIMINAL AND WONT ACCEPT TO BE TREARTED AS ONE SINCE JUST BECAUSE I HAVE ASKED FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE." " Mrs. Kokou Williams.

"Thanks but no thanks as your days are numbered." Paul George

Fake banks killed: 334

Last edited by meyer on Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
wayne
Account closed at users request

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I use XP (and Mandriva, but this thread isn't about that) and applied some patches to make it look like Vista. No need to fork out on it IMO.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I made the PC/Mac/Linux comment with a bit of tongue planted in my cheek.
Wink There is really no way to talk about OS's without that debate starting. Laughing

edit: spelling error

*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^^

Ok, now it's your turn:

Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

*sticks kleindooties fork in his eye and gives his best Sam Kinison scream*

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Having used it it does look kinda slick. However:

You can't get drivers for a lot of devices/cards/etc yet. Oh, and every time you open a new app or change system settings, it pops up 'Are you sure?' This gets annoying very fast.

Quite a lot of old software won't survive the leap to Vista; some of my favourite programmes wouldn't install. Its user interface with big bold pictures and layout reminds me of children's programmes and books and strikes me as quite patronising.

You need a pretty high spec machine to run it, and it won't be happy if you've only got the minimum specs.

Check out this article on the BBC website Falling into the Vista trap.

I run a Mac most of the time, so I might be biased. But I would wait about six months until MS release the 1st service pack and hardware/software people embrace Vista a bit more.

ol-fishinbait
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Are you familiar with the word "bollocks"? it very accurately describes Vista.

Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Miss. Good info and good link. That confirms my gut instinct. Looks like more eye candy than anything else. And the title of the article "Falling into the Vista trap" sums up the feeling I have had with MS for years. Its a never ending cycle of glitches and upgrades.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Shiver. Good choice mate, Mac is the way to go every time. No viruses, no spyware and an OS that is light years ahead of windows and actually does what it says on the tin. Add to that the fact that you are no longer funding, spit, Microsoft Evil or Very Mad and you can't go wrong. Also you won't need Bill Gates' permission every time you want to install something and have him scanning your hard drive every 5 mins.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

meyer wrote:
Stay away from Vista at all costs

I'm with Meyer, that thing won't be getting anywhere near my PC.

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
mark2
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm going to avoid Vista, defo heading to linux, until I can finally settle on a distro I'm using puppy linux, even my wireless card works

http://www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

meyer said it all really. The very few times it's still necessary for me to boot into Windows, I'll use XP. I hope that'll be the last Microsoft EULA I ever agree to.

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Micro$oft would have done well making XP work properly, before they brought out a new OS.

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
halloween
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Honestly i think, MS Vista now wasn't really good to use it now.. for me, i'm waiting for their SP2 to come out..

Cheers,
halloween

Nigeria
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

On top of the reasons shown by Meyer, I understand that M$ crippled the HD player capabilities and all the other IP media so you can't use them in the condition you paid to use it in.

Everything that vista claims as an improvement, has been in Linux for at least 3 years.

And I just read a story about a tech writer who install a game which windoz decided was not approve so it immediately locked the OS down and gave him 7 days to re-register or be locked out of *his* computer and *his* OS for which he paid $300. This could be an example of things to come.

Defiantly wait for the SP2 version, it should have a lot more "safety features" by then.

I too, would really like to hear from someone who is running vista now.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
remu
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

shiver metimbers wrote:
After 20+ years of PC use I am switching over to the Apple Mac in a couple of weeks.

Might I suggest instead installing some flavor of Linux? All of the it's-not-windows, none of the buying-new-hardware Very Happy

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It took me till late last year to upgrade from win2k to xp. At this rate and especially since reading some of the above comments, I might install vista in about 6 years.
John Drake
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Pastor Frank, in our school district, we use both platforms--Macs primarily, but also PC's in the front offices, to run certain applications that were never made multi-platform.

Recently, as resident techie, they've had me testing Parallels software on our newer Intel Macs (This permits the user to run XP or Vista on a Mac simultaneously and seamlessly) You hit a keyboard combo, and screens switch instantly.

I can report to you all--as I have to my boss--that it runs XP perfectly, and at full speed...ie as fast as a PC box. So far, it has run EVERY PC application--old or new--that I've installed, including those applications that were never made multi-platform.

I also tested Vista--and while it DOES run just fine, we ended those tests faily quickly--the ENTIRE PC arm of our department (four guys, two women) unanimously hated Vista, and recommended that the district stay with XP. They cited multiple causes--the general feeling is that it's a prettier version of XP, with more FX, but that's been fundamentally botched from the word go.

So if you need to continue running--or get--a PC, definitely make sure you stay with XP--and faaaaaarrrrrr away from Vista!

Hope this helps!

"YOU GO TO HELL YOU DA FREAK GOD STRIKE YOU DEED RIT NOW HOW DARE YOU SAYE THOS THINS TO ME I AM CHRSTIAN AND DO NOT DO DOSE THINGS YOU ARE SIK SIK MAN!!!!
YOU NEVER NEVER RITE TO ME AGAN--EVAR EVAR!!! I WIL ASS GOD TO PUNISH YOU AND SEHND YOU TO HELL! YOU AR SO SIK IT MAKE ME ILL JUS THINKIN ABUT YOU SO CRAZY." -Dr Wily

Without this certificate, we are still where we are.
I can never trust you again. It will be hard for us to work together.
I have learnt so much from the disappointments i experienced from you. I can only thank you for wasting my precious time.
thanks for wasting my time all thes while. You have been a great friend, i can not deny that.
Thanks for not being there for me when it matters most. -Xu Chaofan
Dart
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I love Mac users.

The can take the screenshots and live captures of the games I play on my PC and make them very sexy.

They can't actually play any of the games, but that somehow makes them superior.

Wink

I'm not so much a vampire as a mosquito.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic