SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

How does this system work?

View next topic
View previous topic

Templeton Peck
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Mornin all

I was thinking....how does this system work? are all of the scammers sat in there bedrooms mass mailing people or they organised groups, ie: document makers, email writers, telephone people etc? i did a lot of reading last night about how dangerous these people are.

Surely one guy on his own could not keep up many different pretense's all the time if he had, say, ten people that he was trying to scam at the same time?

To be honest, its not the baiting that really interests me, its the way that the emails are exchanged - would i be right in saying that these people are extremely organised groups with some top quaulity kit?

How do they go about making up the stories and charcaters? i get the imperssion that there are many weird and vivid immaginations out there!!

Cheers all
Hoyt
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

From what I've gathered, it's usually a group of people that sit around internet cafes all day sending out scripted emails... There's usually a boss or some sort of chain of command so that if you start acting erratic they can send you higher up to someone who's more experienced.

I could be wrong, and I'm sure there's an infinite number of other types of setups or approaches these guys use, but that's what I've seen so far.
HyperBanana
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think one of Shiver's posts/ writings mentioned that some of the African scammers have gang ties and work for them, and that these are the ones that get victims to travel to Africa and kidnap them. Scary stuff Sad

Many scammers would be able to keep up multiple aliases, its probably all they do all day and something as simple as a note book would make it even easier for them.
mrsbean
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There's everything from the dopey freelance kid with a poor excuse for a scam script that he cobbled together from overheard conversations in the local lad cafe and no mobile to the well organized gang with resources and people for everything from "catching" to forging checks to contacts in other countries, maybe even inside banks. In other words, just like drug dealers, for example, it varies. You could be describing anything from a kid growing three pot plants to the Colombian drug cartel, and still refer to them as a "drug dealer". Scammers come in all flavors, too.

Straightbait

Nifty anti-scam sites of interest
Artists Against 419 | Fraudwatchers |Scamomatic | Scampatroll Scam Victims United | Fake Checks Dot Org
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I haven't really seen a 'chain of command'. If it is a 'gang' (and not in the usual sense of the term) there is one oga. And the scammers who work with him. I think of them more as groups rather than gangs. If someone can get others to work for him, he becomes an oga. The other higher ups are associates but there is no military chain of command. What some people see as a chain of command (like the phrase "you get passed up the chain") really is that certain scammers specialize and can work different phases of a scam better than others. Obviously friends get better treatment. There are a few more traditional 'gang' types but I think this is exception not the norm. The scammers who work together do not chop each others dollas and work close together, but they will tend to chop other groups.

As per mrsbean, you can't generalize.

Quote:
Surely one guy on his own could not keep up many different pretense's
You'd be surprised.
Quote:
would i be right in saying that these people are extremely organised groups with some top quality kit?
No. We have seen what I guess would pass for 'kits' but most just inherit different stories or pass them around.
Quote:
How do they go about making up the stories and charcaters? i get the imperssion that there are many weird and vivid immaginations out there!!
No. They recycle the same stories over and over. They mix and match different stories so some don't make much sense. They do pick names they think are common Western names or pick names out of the news to use.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
Jervis Tetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Templeton--

You can always tell if more than one mugu is at work on you if the fonts change, as well as general spelling and grammatical usage. There are some lone-wolf mugus who play several roles but it's easy enough to figure out. ALL CAPS with the same errata is usually a dead giveaway. And a letter minutes later from the 'son, doctor, lawyer' of Lad #1 from the same computer cinches it.

As the infra-structure in Western Africa is poor--along with the people-- on the best of days, I have yet to hear of a Lad who actually has a home computer of their own. In fact they are generally not shy about telling you that they are 'running out of money for the net-cafe, so please help!'
..As a rule they generally are silent on Sundays when most of the cafes seem to be closed.

As for the ability of a Lad to keep track of 10 or more potential victims at one time--if we can do it, no reason why they can't do the same, whether from one alias or several. In fact I often bait the same mugu with different names/locales/genders simultaneously just to get them to promise me that nobody else is in on their fabulous offer. It's great ammo later on if/when I nuke them.

Just always send a blind-copy reply back to yourself at your alias so that you can keep track. I have found that sometimes weeks/months later they will refer to something I figured they had forgotten. To counter-act this, start up a new fresh reply with nothing for them to refer back to, if you get what I mean.

cheerz---jervis tetch---mad hatter

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic