SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

need help identifying this scam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
bighouse
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good afternoon, I work for an email provider and we recently have a "free customer" sign up for several different accounts with similar names and send out something like the following, caught in our outbound filtering mechanisms.

Unfortunately, it was such a low volume, and targeted very specifically to their destinations so the filters released the held mail after just a short quaranteen period. I know it's fraud, but I can't pinpoint the specifics. Do they just expect people to ship the products, have the credit card bounce after shipping, and all the fraudster gets is the free products?

What do I do with them? Shut off their accounts or contact the FBI or what?

Dear sir/madam,

I come from Indonesia and i'm looking for any products such as <insert one of several different products here>, if you have them available instock or have information about these products please dont hesitate to contact us immediately.

I hope you could inform me about the pricelist, delivery time via EMS/US Parcel Post (4-10 days delivery) also term of payment (Master Card/Visa etc) for this order.

I look forward to having your reply by return.

generic signature goes here

Are they just plain old credit card frausters? They actually send out there credit card information over the email when someone replies, name, number and what not. I believe the names are all the same, and this last round they used 33 unique card numbers, a different card for each order!

http://www.cartserver.com/americart/faq-fr.html

makes it even more clear, they keep the orders relatively small, but the email above fits the MO perfectly.
bighouse
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've identified it...

It is indeed just a straight forward credit card scam where they are basically stealing the products they order via email. The scammer opens a bunch of CC accounts, orders a bunch of stuff they can sell in Indonesia on the streets, opens a temporary shop, sells the stuff, and of course never pays off the credit cards or worse, uses stolen numbers.

Ah well, the filters are worth something afterall.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic