SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Nigeria goes for Windows over Linux

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Looks like Nigerians will continue to face the same blue screens of death for years to come after reading this on MaximumPC here:

Quote:
Mandriva Linux Gets an Education in Windows Hardball in Nigeria

Right now, the folks at Mandriva must be wondering what happened to a "deal is a deal." Last week, Mandriva announced a deal with the Nigerian government for 17,000 Intel Classmate PCs running Mandriva Linux. The PCs are for a national educational pilot program. However, by week's end, Mandriva's hopes for market penetration into the emerging Nigerian educational market had been dashed, as the Mandriva installations are being replaced with Windows XP Professional, which is also an approved operating system for the Classmate PC.

Given the modest specifications of the Classmate PC (Intel 900MHz ULV processor with 400MHz FSB and no L2 cache, 915GMS/ICH6 chipset, 256MB RAM, 1GB flash memory for Linux or 2GB flash memory for Windows), one has to wonder whether students are also going to get an education in waiting on the PC after the operating system swap.

So it looks like we can continue to use the Vista error method and now add that we use Linux for why they can't open our .dll files. Very Happy

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Microsoft will like that. (if they ever get paid, that is.)

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How the hell did Micro$oft wangle that one, especially considering Linux is free. And XP pro with 256 MB? Well at least it'll slow the lads down a bit.
As for payment...

Cavalry greetings Mr Gates
It is with heavy heart that I write to you following my accountants ghastly accident on.......

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Yeah, they will probably put Microsoft's money in a trunkbox... Smile

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is a real slap in the face for all the charitable organisations that are working on this project.

One of the main ideas was that that schoolrooms could have *one* good central computer running as a Linux server and lots of really old, cheap, simple PCs running as simple Linux workstations.

That will go out the window (no pun intended) now. Every single computer will have to be brand new with all the relatively expensive bells and whistles - just to be able to run the OS, i.e. large harddisks, USB, CD/DVD drives, etc., etc.

So, the next person who says that Bill Gates is a really great guy who gives soooo much to charities can go shove it. Evil or Very Mad This is pure capitalism looking out for the market at all costs. This is like having the restaurant at the Waldorf Astoria close down a local poor people's soup kitchen, just to protect its market percentage.
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It would of been a massive benefit to the schools if they'd gone with Linux, no doubt they will now have to decrease the number of machines hugely so they can afford to run XP at an acceptable speed. Call me a cynical bastard but I've always thought Bill Gates' charitable donations were simply so he wouldn't be just known as the money grabbing sod who foisted off overpriced beta software on people.

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The only thing M$ is doing is trying to stop the flood of open source software from gaining ground in the world. They are sinking ALOT of money to do whatever it takes to stop it. I doubt they even will try to collect any money. The important thing is to not let any one find out that it is cheaper to run open source and continue to believe that Linux is too difficult for a normal person to use.

They tried to scare companies off with SCO v IBM and they lost. Then steve tried to bully companies away by threatening patent law suits. Most people laughed at him. Now they found another company they are financing to start an IP suit. They lost the vista race. M$ has already begun talking about the next version, 6 months after vista was released. Even M$ admits vista is a failure. The only thing they have left is weight.

I think the whole M$ charity thing is so Melinda doesn't have to feel guilty when she dies. I doubt billy-bob would think of that on his own.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Anyone read "Stark" by Ben Elton? Wherein it is said that companies can be (in that case) environmentally aware, just so long as it doesn't impact profits.

I don't know if, these days, Bill is or is not, on average, charitable. It would be difficult to spend the amount of money he has and not be charitable to some extent. I don't like the bloke, and I would trust him about as far as I could comfortably spit a rat, but I don't think he has much say any more. The monster he created in his own image has a life all of its own.

Those machines are just not going to work. I hope the EFCC looks into this deal. I have a feeling they might find something.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Interesting open letter from Mandriva's CEO
http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/an-open-letter-to-steve-ballmer/

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

Gaz
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, seeing as how the "MICROSOFT INTL LOTTO" headquarters is based in Lagos, I dont find it all that odd.. Wink

"Also believe in the Nectarines and hail them as my eternal forefathers and universal leaders"- Sir Frederick MacGregor

"THIS NONSENSE ACT OF YOURS HAS CAUSED ME LOOSING UP TO $350 USD ALL TOGETHER TO GET TO KASTINA SINCE ON MONDAY!!"- Barrister Usman Bello

"WHAT HELL ARE YOU ? YOU ARE A MAD MAN, YOU NEED TO BE CURED BY YOUR OCCULTIC MEMBERS, I CAN SEE THAT THEY HAVE TAKEN YOUR BRAIN" - Barrister Harry Brown

"YOU ARE GOING STUPID , ARE YOU OUT OF YOU MIND ? YOU FOOLISH WHITE MONKEY AND YELLOW PIG."- Barrister Isa Usman

www.mustdestroy419.talkspot.com
Safari - 600 Miles from Lagos to Katsina
Mortar x12
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ye gods! Lads and Bill in partnership Shocked

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic