SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

I need speed or something!

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Goldry Bluszco
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can anyone give me a bit of help with this one? I have moved to a new office with my company, and we are accessing our CRM software/database/mail via a VPN. We are using a Thin Client so the machines here are just, well, nothing but boxes� I cannot go outside of the Thin Client.

Anyway, it is sooooooooooo slow; I can�t look at any moving images whether they are movies or Flash thingy�s. My techie guys say it is the DSL capacity, currently 8 Meg. But on our router there is a spare port and if I plug my laptop in and go online it is quite normal, no issues at all. Plus me using up the DSL line on my laptop doesn�t affect the Thin Client machines in terms of speed at all.

Any tips? Help!

pony
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Typical techie lol, have you tried turning it off?

The technical answer would be how the computers are connected and the protocol bandwidth assigned etc, the quick answer its dsl which to a degree is correct. I dont know how your system works but a rough guess would be:
A simple network would have a server, [ network in your case dsl ] and terminals.

Now if your "terminals" boot by themselves you would probably need the permission to mess with the protocols etc.

However if your "terminals" are booting from the server then really the server is calling the pages, grabbing the information and the speed is only about 512kb/s max or in real terms more likely a little faster than dial up for more than one machine, thus it really is the dsl but not as expected.
this is due to LCD *lowest common denominator, in dsl its the uplink speed, your machine can call at upto max 512, in practice it would be somewhat less, but it can grab at upto 8mb/s then you have to consider the server itself, it wont just be serving your 1 terminal so it has a message queue.

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
Goldry Bluszco
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the response, although I didn't quite understand all of it. Basically, in the current configuration, I can't do anything about it? Our machines do indeed boot from the server...

pony
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As digital-one says, it sounds as if it is the DSL upstream speed (512kbps) that is affecting you. Another possibility is that the Internet link out of your server's site is a bottle-neck. Do you know what technology that is? If that is also a DSL link, then I would expect it to be dog slow, but a company that deploys thin clients is probably big enough to get a large leased line for it's main server site.

We have a similar set-up here, except not thin clients. Accessing (Microsoft) file shares across the VPN is really slow, so replacing the thin clients with full PCs (or having a local server) probably wont fix it for your day-to-day work.

The best solution may be to have a few standard PCs for web-browsing that do not go through the VPN. Don't just bring in your laptop though. It will need to be done by your IT department, or they will be justly angry with you. - The security and licensing issues are totally different.

It is possible that upgrading to SDSL (Symetrical DSL, so you get the same speed in both directions,) or a leased line, might help. But I would want to see traffic analysis for your site and the server's site before going down that road, since it would be expensive and may not help at all.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
it wasn't me
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My Dad always says if it doesn't work, blow on it.

I have yet to see this form of technical genius work, but if it does, please let me know...

Pretty Rose

pony
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ I actually did have that happen to me. I used to repair electronice moachines, and there was an open to the air copper limit switch on this machine. It was like a typewriter, and when it hit the switch to the left, it was supposed to stop. There was a thin peice of dust? metal shaving touching the side. I blew on it, and it was fixed!! No shi*! hehehe Smile

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
Goldry Bluszco
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Thud419 - cheers for that, sorry it has been so long in responding, but I lost the linky to the "old" forum and couldn't get back on without bothering Shiver... Anyway, back now.

I don't really understand why I can't use my laptop though, our techie guys are not helpful at all really, and seeing as I run this office, they will never find out!

And it's my eaterversary soon!

P.S. We aren't a very big company and have a SHARED DSL at our main office!! No leased lines in sight. Crying or Very sad

pony
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My Toe Hurts wrote:
I don't really understand why I can't use my laptop
Two problems. Firstly you have bypassed the company firewall, and may therefore be a route for malware to enter the company network. Secondly any software you run on that laptop will not have a license.

Run some good firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware on the laptop, and don't install anything you don't have a personal license for. IT will still kick your ass if they find out, but you're minimizing the effective danger.

Quote:
P.S. We aren't a very big company and have a SHARED DSL at our main office!!
That's your bottle-neck.

I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14

Goldry Bluszco
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Sorry to be pedantic, but my laoptop is plugged directly into the router here. Our company network is all done by Thin Client, I can't see anything of it via my laptop, no drives or printers... How could this then act as a gateway for any unpleasant stuff? I have a software firewall McAfee installed, and the laptop is kosher and I have paid for all the software I have on it...

Again, thanks for the info on the bottleneck, at least now I know it can't be cured easily. My techie guys couldn't explain it properly (or wouldn't!).

pony
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It could vary from no danger at all, to as dangerous as it gets, depending on exactly how the equipment is organised at your office and at head office and how it's configured.

Cellphone x14

Stoker Thompson
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've had trouble with older thin clients & VPN work.

If the TC is running an encrypted VPN it might not leave enough processor power to do the work fast. Check the specs on the TC. I'd recommend maxing out the RAM on it regardless of what you are running.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic