SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

SF earthquake

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for well over 30 years and have been through a lot of earthquakes, notably the devastating 1989 Loma Preita quake. But the one that hit us tonight was one of the scariest, and definitely the worst since 1989......

It started as a fairly sharp jolt, lasting a few seconds. For some reason I thought that might just be a pre-shock, and I turned out to be right. A few seconds later the real one hit and it lasted a long time, about 20 seconds. That's not as long as the 1989 quake, but trust me, 20 seconds of heavy rolling and lots of noise feels like the house is about to fall on your head.... It's only 'moderate' by official standards (5.6 on the Richter, way less than the 1989 quake) but it was very intense living through it. Then again, nothing fell off the shelves and there was no lasting damage, not even loss of electricity. But the venetian blinds and hanging chandeliers swung and clacked for well over a minute after it ended. It felt like being on a boat, but that's perhaps to be expected since we're on landfill and it's prone to liquifaction. Had it hit closer, and harder, the house could have collapsed. I'm thinking about retiring and moving to higher and more solid ground...........

Then again, this is the price we pay for living in such beauty. Every place has its dangers, whether it's blizzards, hurricanes, tornados, floods, fires or earthquakes. Mother nature has her way of reminding us of our insignificance.

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

I apologize again that I will lick the dust from your sandals - Shorty

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree ....it was the scariest since 1989 Sad

I almost shit myself...my legs turned to jelly and my heart started pounding. The 20 seconds felt like 5 minutes!

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey
JohnnyBravo
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I assume there was a ....get ready......are you ready??

"a whole lotta shakin' going on"? Laughing Laughing

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

"I know how to call internationally. Please stop being saucy." Chuck S.

"If that is what you call a passport, then you must come from a country where everybody is blind, I am not a dumb ass who does not know what a passport is." Steven Grant, the Unicef scammer

"As it now you have me on my balls, you are being unnecessarily difficult, ." Steven Grant, the Unicef scammer

"This institution is more observant and as soon as we confirm that you are giving us wrong information we will get you arrested by U.S Authority and we shall close your payment file and let you spend the rest of your life in jail." Dr. Goodluck Johnson
breadcrumb
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^ Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

on a serious note: glad, nobody got hurt Smile

"your papa, i do you ok, you do fuck your self off goodday" Hitman lad to Usm4an B3ll0
"fuck you and your mumu family for ever andv ever, you go die for bicycle accident this year" Hitman to Usm4n B3ll0
"once again thank you for the disappointment and arranged confussion." Barrister Ise
"Do you said am stupid" lad posing as Mike Pence
Click here to support 419Eater.com
Postcount doesn´t matter.
pony Rolling Eyes (Admin Certified)
9x United Kingdom 2x Spain Benin Netherlands Nigeria Switzerland
Mortar x12
Lady Wolf
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We felt the minor tremors of it all the way on the east coast, (enough to barely shake the couch and make minor waves in the coffee)

Glad you're okay.

"If you take [a copy of] the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain, soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone. Our bible IS the wind and the rain." -Native American medicine man speaking on religion.
Frederick Fokker
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

glad you guys OK, thats some scary shit.

I know!!! and would NEVER be able to live in a place prone to earthquakes, the "thing" it self does not scare me, but the Before almost kills me Confused
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Earthquakes are very much like making love to a beautiful woman...sometimes the earth moves and if it is particularly violent you have a few tremours and fall out of bed and then laugh about it afterwards.

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad to hear you guys are ok. I've never been through one here in the north east. While 20 seconds doesn't sound too long, I'm sure that when you in one, it must feel like it will never end.

Lady Wolf wrote:
We felt the minor tremors of it all the way on the east coast, (enough to barely shake the couch and make minor waves in the coffee)

What part of the east are you to feel that?

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
thomas-the-tank
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad to know you're OK. We have earthquakes here far too often (ones you can feel about 1/month), and I hate them, even though I've never been in a really bad one.

"I have come to learn the world is pregnant."
"Besides i am on a GLOBAL ASSIGNMENT WITH THE UN, so be reasonable and leave insults"
"suck your blood untill you resemble stockfish"

United Kingdom x 3 x 2 Ivory Coast Australia x 2 Benin
Safari Wole A x 4!! :
pony pony pony pony Goat <= don't ask about the goat! Inventor
419weasel
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Shocked What time did this happen.. Since I don't watch TV, too often, I hadn't heard about it yet.

Click for lad pain. - New to the forum? Introduce yourself HERE!
Easter Egg 2012 pony Turns that frown upside down- TS
Mc Fry
<-- Official 419Eater buns awarded by Luther Blissett, bun-enabler extraordinaire.
Pith Helmet Remy D1ckson - 1,000 miles from Abidjan, Cote D'Ivoire to Lagos, Nigeria and back!

Lad Quotes
http://members.419eater.com/~419weasel/ladquotes.html
Lady Wolf
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

OxygenDeprived wrote:
What part of the east are you to feel that?

New England.

It was so minor, at first I thought someone was jumping around to shake the house enough to jar the couch, but then when I noticed it was dead quiet I realized it couldn't be.

Then a short while later while reading yahoo news I noticed mention of the earth quake and put two and two togther.

"If you take [a copy of] the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain, soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone. Our bible IS the wind and the rain." -Native American medicine man speaking on religion.
lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

8:04pm West Coast time. Sad

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey
Doctor X
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Did not notice it.

Seriously. However, my friend on the second floor felt it.

--J.D.

kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Juan Freizwidatt wrote:
... I'm thinking about retiring and moving to higher... ground ...

I understand real estate in southern Washington State is a real bargain these days.

Isn't the area around Mount St. Helen's lovely? Laughing
JoeTam
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As a former BA kid, glad you are all OK. Last quake I went through, was the Double Spring Flat epicenter, south of Tahoe. It was a 45 second jackhammer ride @ 6.1. I was holding the kitchen cabinets closed in the middle of the night.
I had moved away well before Loma Prieata. I had a good friend that commuted the Cypress, ( a long bridge span that pancaked) and even though he would have been top deck, he called in sick that day. Dodge that bullet!
I remember coming home to watch the baseball game that October day, and the first pic on the TV was the Bay Bridge slab that fell. I fell onto the couch in disbelief! Then, it got worse when the Marina District went up in flames.

I went to bank. they call police, why you do this to me? I canntsend you anything now.
Goat dog
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic