SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Wireless router noob

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I put a post up recently asking about a PSU for my ageing router, now I'm thinking of getting a wireless one to replace it, there seem lots of cheap ones on eBay.

My question is, if I buy one, do I need to replace the Ethernet card on my PC with a card that will communicate with the router? What about my laptop? Can I get a plug on card for that?

Obvious to anyone whos got one I suppose, but there's always help on Eater before I go and buy the wrong thing.

PS I know others can use your link, I've seen it done in an office block with horrifying ease. How do I keep them out? Will my neighbours, wife downstairs on the laptop (and iMike) be able to monitor my internet , er, 'research'?

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a DG834GT, which is the one that my ISP tech support said they have the most knowledge of. Wireless routers come with wired ports too. My main PC is wired and the various laptops that float in and out of the house go through wireless connections.

With ADSL rates increasing all the time, they are getting close to the speed of a wireless connection, so you may find a wired connection is a little faster. Nothing to get worried about though.

If you get a wireless router you do need to spend a little time setting up encryption, otherwise anyone parked outside can access your network.

If radio is your thing, then the accepted wisdom is that wireless connections cause less interference than wired connections, but you'd only care about that if you are into ham radio or shortwave listening.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Wireless routers come with wired ports too. My main PC is wired

So, I'd be able to use my ethernet card to talk to the router from the PC, and need a wireless add on card for my laptop.

The encryption will be ok if there's decent instructions.

Funnily enough I am a lapsed radio ham, but my Hf set is up in the attic somewhere. Sad One day I'll make time for it.

You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Seven of Nine
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

thud419 wrote:
...<snip>...If radio is your thing, then the accepted wisdom is that wireless connections cause less interference than wired connections, but you'd only care about that if you are into ham radio or shortwave listening....

Which is probably the reason for odd noises I hear on some HF that I really did not notice before.

@RC, my HF gear is neatly plonked on my dining room table atm. Just don't really have the time and inclination to CQ atm Embarassed

iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bought one of these last weekend. Existing machines just plugged straight in at the back (4 x ethernet connectors) & the laptop & pda operate wirelessly. Bottom of the range model, but it works fine.

Closed lad accounts x2

"you have luke worm in your brain" - Ekaetta Bello
"invite me to your country and let me clearify your legitimacy asshole" - Mose5 Uzem3
"the transfer was not authorized due to my persistent double mind" - Clement Wank
"this is not the time to play planks" - Mack Anthony

WIFI PDA - post while you dump
SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[FREE LAPHROAIG]</a>
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've got a Linksys (forgot the model #), but it has 4 hard ports and wireless 'G' and it works great. I have it set up in the basement and can get a good wireless connection on my 2nd floor.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So how do I stop bandwidth thieves (and iMike as he sits on the loo with his laptop) from logging into my network?

You go die like bird
Pith Helmet 10
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If your laptop doesn't come with a built-in wifi card you need a PCMCIA card. There are also plug in PCI boards for desktops that accept a PCMCIA card also if you don't want to hardwire it. Otherwise you don't need to change anything you already have if you get a wireless router with LAN connections. You can get a wireless access point that adds on to an existing regular router.

Microwave ovens can interfere with the wifi frequencies. Not stop access but slow it down. They just add some extra noise to the band. If so try a different channel.

Besides encryption you can limit the MAC addresses you allow access to the router as well as the IP address you allow in if you set up the router to run static IPs only. Much safer and you have control over just allowing the router to assign an IP to any computer that asks.

I would recommend Linksys also. Their interface/control panel is very easy to use, you have a lot of control in setting up the router and they are open source so 3rd party developers write add-ons for extra functions.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Roy, no,no,no - I use the pda on the bog - the laptop slides off my knees. Very Happy

Closed lad accounts x2

"you have luke worm in your brain" - Ekaetta Bello
"invite me to your country and let me clearify your legitimacy asshole" - Mose5 Uzem3
"the transfer was not authorized due to my persistent double mind" - Clement Wank
"this is not the time to play planks" - Mack Anthony

WIFI PDA - post while you dump
SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[FREE LAPHROAIG]</a>
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My router came with a free USB WiFi stick. Probably not the best solution, but good enough for the amount I use it - only for my work laptop on the odd occasion.

Setting up WEP encryption is pretty easy. You just need to invent a pass-phrase and share it with anyone you want to give access to. DrWho's suggestion about using static IPs is also a good one, so long as your set-up is fairly unchanging.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
Stoker Thompson
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In addition to running static IP's you could also disable SSID broadcast. That will make it harder for eavesdroppers to log into your network.

Unless you do a lot of downloading I'd just get the cheapest one you can.

Of the four or so Linksys WRT54GX4 routers that I put in this year two have burned out. I'd stay away from that model for now.
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Roy

All the advice so far is spot on. I am running an ebuyer "special" which i bought as the cheapest thing available at the time. Its a Safecom SWAMRU ****- two years old and its been rebooted once in that time. Have a look at http://www.ebuyer.com/product/90975/show_product_reviews for a good modem/router.

Do not be tempted by the D-link G604T-POS with crap support (no matter how cheap it is)

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I use WPA2, no SSID broadcast and unless I am using the Wii, I generally turn off the radio completely. A few years back I had WEP and found my bandwidth leached by some guy waiting for his soccer kid.

My luggable and tablet computers have wireless built in but I get better performance with USB receivers. One has a USB to USB adapter that allows it to stand up in the air. The other looks like a steroid infused memory stick with an LCD screen that allows me to scan for hotspots in cafes without having to launch the computer. It shows the name and signal strength of the connection.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Also make sure to change the password for the router. Sounds obvious, but reading articles, they say it doesn't happen the majority of the time. As others have said, use WPA2 (but make sure the router AND the wireless card both support it), don't broadcast your SSID (network name).

@iMike, hope you got hockey goalie reflexes to make sure you don't let it slip through the 5-hole Very Happy

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
troglodite
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have used Netgear, Dlink, and Linksys.

My current setup is a router with a seperate WAP (wireless access point). I am running WPA-PSK encryption, and I have had no problems with leaching. You can use either a USB or PCMCIA card interface, whichever suits you. The USB devices typically don't allow as much range.

The reason that I use a seperate WAP device is that most wireless routers divide the wired from the wireless sides, and won't let them talk to each other.

My DLink is one of their business-grade VPN routers, so its interface may be quite different from the consumer-grade models. I like its capabilities and web UI far better than the Linksys model.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Roycropper wrote:
So how do I stop bandwidth thieves (and iMike as he sits on the loo with his laptop) from logging into my network?

You should only need to enter your ISP details (just as you would for any router) as your main gateway when setting it up.

The wireless stuff more or less takes care of itself since the main connection is done. You will have a couple of options in the routers wireless section, just select one of the secure methods.

Your hardly going to have the router sitting on top of your tv so you can have next to your system and use a cable connection and thats one system taken care of without any expense.

If you have any other systems and are wireless enabled then the software /drivers will find all wireless networks in range and you can view/select them. You will then be able to see if your network is secure as it show as secured and be prompted for a password which you set on the router

Once that is done then your laptop/whatever will likely attempt to find a wireless network and connect to the router automatically. Quite often I find unsecured ones but signal is crap.

If you want to go further with security then you can set options on the router to restrict as much as you think is necessary, just as you would with a firewall.

Linksys are known to be shit.. I have seen a number of these in the bin and I also have one myself which I have a couple of issues with.

The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We have a lynksys at work and it is crap. The signal is weak.

I have a 2WIRE at home that I love. It does not have a lot of security features though. It has WEP and that is about it. Also I can stop it from broadcasting the SSID. It only has one port for a hard wire connection, but if I really needed more I could buy a cheap hub and plug in to that.

Most wireless routers have all security features DISABLED as a default so make sure to log into the router and enable SOMETHING by the way of security. You would be surprised at the number of unsecured home networks out there.

YOU ARE A CHILD OF SATAN WITH YOUR HUNGRY DIRTY BODY ,TUNDER FIRE YOU BIG HEAD IDIOT !!! HA HA HA HA HA

IS THIS HOW YOU DECIDED TO TREAT US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUGH?YOU MADE US TRAVELLED TO ABUJA AND INDEBTED US.

"Cursed is your mother that gave birth to a family-disgrace like you. Cursed is your father he could not control his lust for anything under skate"

"hey u crakhead motherf*cking nitwit, from the way u express the cockamamy sh*t that ur dumb brain is made up of it's so obvious that u never really made it past elementary school but anywayz dogs don't have to go to school afterall."

Pith Helmet (Lagos to Abuja)
Netherlands China Canada x2 United Kingdom Spain Ivory Coast Germany

Hello Kitty! <---in lieu of a brownie. TS
Mortar x8
John Drake
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've used Airport and Linksys--both work fine....Linksys is probably more versatile for open source add-ons.

"YOU GO TO HELL YOU DA FREAK GOD STRIKE YOU DEED RIT NOW HOW DARE YOU SAYE THOS THINS TO ME I AM CHRSTIAN AND DO NOT DO DOSE THINGS YOU ARE SIK SIK MAN!!!!
YOU NEVER NEVER RITE TO ME AGAN--EVAR EVAR!!! I WIL ASS GOD TO PUNISH YOU AND SEHND YOU TO HELL! YOU AR SO SIK IT MAKE ME ILL JUS THINKIN ABUT YOU SO CRAZY." -Dr Wily

Without this certificate, we are still where we are.
I can never trust you again. It will be hard for us to work together.
I have learnt so much from the disappointments i experienced from you. I can only thank you for wasting my precious time.
thanks for wasting my time all thes while. You have been a great friend, i can not deny that.
Thanks for not being there for me when it matters most. -Xu Chaofan
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic