SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

New Variation on Cheque Mule?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Logar
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My wife received a letter in the mail from a "secret shopper" company in Canada. They even sent a cheque for $2800. At first glance, the cheque looked good, but, upon close examination, it had the earmarks of a fake.
I looked at the documents included with it. The alarm bell went off when I saw the Money Gram task. Not to mention that the company's phone is a mobile in Ontario. I have seen other fake cheques (art companies, textiles, etc), but not one for this modality. Second opinions are always welcome. I wonder if dealing with scams has jaded me. I still think it is a fake. Anyway, here is the letter:

Kills: United States x2 United Kingdom x2 Netherlands x3 Spain
Click here to support 419Eater.com
Closed lad accounts x142
Red
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Mate... that's a cunning scam. Return of the snail mail scam assault. I can imagine that a lot of people out there would be fooled by that, especially since they're receiving a cheque in the mail. Thanks for posting it! It's a shame there's no email address attached... I wonder how many of these were sent out Confused

United Kingdom x36 Malaysia x6 European Union x2 United States x10 Italy x5 x4 Benin x6 Netherlands x8 Russia x2 Indonesia x2 Nigeria x11 x3 Gambia Canada x3 Spain x13 Hong Kong Gibraltar Germany x3 Cayman Islands Japan x2 Belgium x3 United Nations x3 Flag Monaco x2 Austria Ivory Coast x4 x2 Ireland Bahamas, The x2 Portugal x2 Switzerland x4 x3 Ghana x3 Sweden France x2 Serbia and Montenegro x2 China x2 Togo x2 Ukraine x2 South Africa Somolia
Golden Pith 1k3: West African Tour
Safari Ben: Lagos (Nigeria) - Accra (Ghana)
Mortar x10
TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Scam scam scam. Companies don't just hire someone out of the blue without an interview or resume or the person contacting them. Your gut feeling was good and right. Smile

"I knew rigth from the first time you sent email to me that,you are a bloody *DELETED*" - Sgt Daniel Vess
"I NO BLAME U NA DI DIRTY TOTO WEN BORN U NA IM I BLAME. CATBINGO" - Lee Wong
"I AM EQUAL TO A MENTAL RETARDED PERSON" - Alvan Ben
"You have pushed me to the wall and i will make you smell yourself i bet." - George Martins
"THE FOOL STOLE YOUR US$755, HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO LEAVE ON THE PLANET" - Jim Ovia

pony pony - for a perfect brown nosing job. Wink

pony Mortar x4
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteSkype Name
LaBrea
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

These guys are slick, no doubt.
A bona fide 'mystery shopper' program usually involves a phone interview, then a personal interview, and payment to the store is usually on your credit card or check and you get reimbursed.
No reputable firm sends you an expense check out of the blue- let alone publicize the names of the stores that will be evaluated - you were on the money, Logar, it's a check mule scam with a twist - includes a toll number for the phone interview- they get you coming and going.......

"Sir I sworn an oath as a legal luminary to defend your cause in all ramification from the armpit of the law" - Barr. W4k4r4 Iss4c
pony pony pony Mortar x6 Closed lad accounts x25
Click here to help your lad miss his scam quota
TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Good catch on the number. It is a Canadian number. They are claiming to be from Canada too. I am contemplating skyping it to see if I can get an email from them. This is a really slick set-up.

"I knew rigth from the first time you sent email to me that,you are a bloody *DELETED*" - Sgt Daniel Vess
"You have pushed me to the wall and i will make you smell yourself i bet." - George Martins
"THE FOOL STOLE YOUR US$755, HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO LEAVE ON THE PLANET" - Jim Ovia

pony Mortar x4
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteSkype Name
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice variation on the Canadian snail mail lotto scam that was going around a few months ago (I'm betting this is the same bunch of scumbags, actually). In that one, potential victims received a "winning lotto" notification via snail mail, complete with bogus cheque for (you guessed it) $2800-$2900 US. The letter informed them that the cheque was to cover the "fees" for the lotto, so that they would have no out-of-pocket expenses for their "win". Victims were to cash the cheque and send the money off (WU or MG) in order to collect their $50,000- $100,000 "winnings". The phone numbers given for "claims agents" were always answered by people who would happily direct the vics in exactly how to send the "fees".

This one is, of course, much more sophisticated, and many people will probably fall for it. Evil or Very Mad

[Edit]- Dollars to donuts they are in Canada, Ook. A ton of fake cheque scams are run from certain areas of Canada.

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Yeah was thinking that Faith about Canada. I am still thinking of calling them to see if I can get some information to bait. Maybe convince them to switch to email, or just harass them a bit. Will wait until this weekend though so I can call at 3am or so. Smile

pony Mortar x4
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^
Go for it, Ook. If this is as widespread as the lotto one was, they have sent out thousands upon thousands of these fake cheques. Evil or Very Mad

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka

Naked Mod pics!
star
Red
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Ook - sounds like a great plan. If you do secure an email make sure you ask if some of your "friends" can also apply, via email Wink

United Kingdom x36 Malaysia x6 European Union x2 United States x10 Italy x5 x4 Benin x6 Netherlands x8 Russia x2 Indonesia x2 Nigeria x11 x3 Gambia Canada x3 Spain x13 Hong Kong Gibraltar Germany x3 Cayman Islands Japan x2 Belgium x3 United Nations x3 Flag Monaco x2 Austria Ivory Coast x4 x2 Ireland Bahamas, The x2 Portugal x2 Switzerland x4 x3 Ghana x3 Sweden France x2 Serbia and Montenegro x2 China x2 Togo x2 Ukraine x2 South Africa Somolia
Mortar x10
TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^Of course but we will have to see what happens first.

pony Mortar x4
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Forgot to say:
Well done for spotting this, Logar! Your scamdar is operating at 110% Wink

Naked Mod pics!
star
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Postal Service might be interested in the details.

Of course that might mess up a bait...

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
OldBaglady
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Mess up a bait?? OMG, this isn't internet fraud with illusive international criminals. This is a local fraud within boundaries that authorities have jurisdiction over. Why has no one suggested alerting police and media? There are clueless victims right now who are in possession of the same letter and fraudulent check that will be running to the bank first thing. Please, notify your police and postal authorities. This one has a paper trail to investigate and hopefully stop before someone innocent is financially ruined.
Frederick Fokker
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

slick... problem being that all tho the mobile is canadian, it can be on roaming and also a clone. so they could be on the US or somewhere else.

where is the Moneygram going? that is the question. And yes i think it should be reported to the postal service and authorities.
Red
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ While certainly possible, I'd say that is unlikely. Canada, particularly Toronto, is a well known hive for scammers. I am sure many on this board are familiar with the gangs themselves. I'd say run it past the postal authority, see if you can get them interested, and then hope for the best.

Mortar x10
bearkat419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Make a copy of it, in case you decide to find a way to safely play with them later.

Then... TAKE THE ORIGINAL TO THE POSTAL POLICE.

True, they might not do anything... But postal mail, unlike email, is far more traceable. Your letter might be the piece of evidence that is used to break the ring just in time to save a victim who actually fell for it.

Remember. Everyone out there isn't as alert to this as we are...

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Red pretty much nailed it. Reporting the scam to the authorities is, of course, a good idea; but Canadian cheque scammers cover themselves just like any other lads/vlads do: mobile phone numbers, free email accounts, mules to send the snail mails, etc. They are certainly not going to send anything traceable out to thousands of unscreened potential vics (some of whom might just be LEO).

Logar: take it to the postal inspectors; if they are interested, great! They might be able to spot and confiscate some of this crap before it's delivered. Other than that, the best way to warn potential victims is to either blog the entire letter, or post it on a scam victims' site that has escaped our Russian friends' attention.

Naked Mod pics!
star
SumYunGai
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A woman in Dallas was taken for a ride on a very similar scam. The company simply wanted her to assess the quality of service at the MoneyGram office of a local Wal-Mart. She lost thousands on this scam. To find the news story, go to www.nbc5i.com click on News, County News, then look under Denton County.

[mod edit to fix the broken link - Zen]

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic