SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Arcade machine pics

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Shiver Metimbers
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Before our first major forum outage just over a month ago, I was asking for info to help with an arcade game I'm renovating. Forum linky (please do not necro!): http://bravodelta.servemp3.com/viewtopic.php?t=120934

This is a converted Jamma machine that has a 48-in-one game board. It's not MAME based; the games are all arcade originals on ROMs. More info on this board can be found here.

I said I would post up some pictures, but because the forums went AWOL shortly after, I never got around to posting them. Now I've had a little spare time, here they are. These are the "before" pictures. As you can see, the machine wasn't in such great condition when I bought it, but since these photos were taken I've been tinkering. I hope to have the entire renovation project completed in the next few weeks. This will include:

New marquee.
New control panel overlay graphics.
New joysticks, new buttons.
New coin-op mechanism.

I'm also considering changing the 20" CRT for a modern LCD of equivalent size (to cut down the weight and power consumption) but I'm not sure I want to do that as it will mean losing some of the look and feel of the arcade original.

Also, I will be completely changing the look of the cabinet. As you can see, it's a pretty crappy looking faux-wood look, which, frankly is damn ugly. Taking into consideration the room I am going to put the finished article into, I am thinking of a leather look finish (no, really. Stay with me here, it WILL look good!).

As you can see by the pics below, it's looking a little battered in places, but once I've finished, it'll look so good, even my wife will stop calling it a useless piece of crap Smile

I'll post pictures of the machine once the surgery is complete.

----------------------------------
Shiver's scammer trophies.

Last edited by Shiver Metimbers on Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow, Donkey Kong! I dropped many quarters into one of those machines in the early 80's. I still remember how to do the "backward jump" trick.

Ye Olde Privy Smythe

Location: Pushing truck selling Obama shirts on Ring Road Lagos

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That game is so old school. I remember when 1980s mullet rockers thought that Donkey Kong was the bomb. Are proceeds from the coin op device going to 419 eater? Just curious. Good luck with the project, I know it'll be pretty cool when your done. Probably easier than swtiching a server I hope.

"Your information is safe with me and will not be used anonymously"-- Dal Cal� Maccio
"you are as useless as your e-mail sound. bingo like." ---Zinriszal Bin Selamat
pony pony pony
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Used to play Space Invaders and Pac Man on one of the table top machines in the pub way back in the late 70s. Flicking the underneath on/off switch in a certain way used to get us loads of free games! Happy days.

Good luck with the resto.

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
Frederick Fokker
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ewww the leather look thing DOES not do it for that machine Confused they were really cool when they came out.

The LCD panel will sort of make it loose part of its appeal, and after all how long are you gonna have in ON, so power comsumption should not be much of an issue.

I got an Asteroids one, that i bought in 92, side panels were as good as gone, so i just replaced them with new ones with a black coating. kept the original screen too. I did later redo the original side paintings on it but took me quite a lot of time to find good pics of an existing machine with the paintings still intact.

Have fun with it, im sure your wife loves it as much as mine did Very Happy
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've owned a few of those in my time.
Like FF said, don't get rid of the CRT monitor. LCD just doesn't look the same and it will drastically reduce the price of the machine if you ever come to sell it. These arcade machines are going to be like antiques in a few years' time and you wouldn't buy a grandfather clock and rip out the mechanism to replace it with a digital display, would you?
Personally, I would make as few major changes as possible. Just clean up what you've got. The appeal of these machines is that they are a throwback to the late 70s, early 80s. Start changing things arounds and you may as well go get a PC emulator.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
Frederick Fokker
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Slightlyoutofit just made a very good and important point there.

When i bought mine i bought 3 old machines, one was gone too damaged to be repaired but i used some of the parts to fix a second machine, Space Invaders which i restored to original condition and wanted to keep, but while looking for components someone made me an offer that i did NOT refuse Laughing and nowadays they are worth quiet a lot of dosh, especially if they are in original state, a real colecters item worth quiet a lot.

I tought that the one you have was supposed to have a little metal ashtray on the right hand side of the control panel, but got to admit that i don't know if the multy game ones were like the original ones that first came out with only one game.

what year was that one made? was there any paintings on the side panels? or stickers?
Shiver Metimbers
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This Jamma machine doesn't qualify as a original type arcade machine, such as a Pacman, Space, Invaders, Defender etc. so keeping it close to the original state isn't really a concern. Although the actual games are the real McCoy, the cabinet itself is just a generic piece of fairly worthless kit. Pimping up this particular machine won't effect the value one way of the other.

Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm gonna be a philistine and say put in a decent quality LCD, not only will it save on power, you'll also get rid of those curved edges on the CRT, a pet hate of mine.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
wokabo
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tommo Shanter wrote:
Used to play Space Invaders and Pac Man on one of the table top machines in the pub way back in the late 70s. Flicking the underneath on/off switch in a certain way used to get us loads of free games! Happy days.

Good luck with the resto.

Playing Space Invaders and Pac Man was very much like making love to a beautiful woman. Flicking the underneath on/off switch in a certain way used to get loads of free games!

Fight My Brute
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This ones for sale at �4457.

But your one will look ok in leather, new trim can be got from B&Q to replace the tatty one. The aluminium kitchen trim should be fine (bit tricky to bend but once done its good for a long time.) I wouldnt change the screen, I know your good with electronics and computers but putting an lcd in with an inverter is a pain in the ass and the power you save is only around �60 per annum, Plus you must realise it would need to be a really bright lcd to reflect off the unit to display correctly?

I know where theres an afterburner for sale too for �8000 needs refurbishment. (Play to win leicster square) Someone smashed the glass, and the pay box. They sell for �20,000 fully working to collectors and stores.

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
Frederick Fokker
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hmmm got to read things with more care next time, so the machine you got is one of "those" generic machines from the midlle of the 80's.

Still pretty cool i would not change the the screen tho.
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy Just had a thought - you could make a fairly decent business out of refurbing those machines.

Especially a full size one made of wood...

I might steal the idea lol, and rent em out to pubs Razz
But i think ill use fruit machines lol.

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Anybody remember the tonsil tennis game? And that other one where once you got behind the wall there was no stopping you? Laughing

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Gee, I don't know Shiver. There are some unsightly scratches and dents on the front corners.

I'd give it back. Laughing Laughing
dr stephen williams
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mr Metibers,

Nice! I like the multiple games in one console. Also, since it is not an original game, remodeling it won't hurt its value, and will enhance your enjoyment of it.

I wish it had "Defender"..... anyone remember "Qix"?

Doc

Golden Pith x2 Safari x7 Tattoo x7 Closed lad accounts Mortar Vcamera Sand Timer x6 Team Turd Lgs-Dla Bnn-Lbra Acra-Dkar Dkr-Bnjul- Dkr-Tmbktu-Abche-Adre-N'djmna Lgos-Cairo-Aswn-Jail Ctnu-Lgos Ctnu-acra Lgos-Jbrg-Drbn-Prt-Elzbth-CT-Sprngbk-CT-Drbn-CT-Hrre-Lska-DsSlm-Mmbsa-Nirbi-Kmpla 28,510 Miles
Golden Pith Safari x2 Tattoo x6 Vcamera Sand Timer x4 Team Woody Acra-Sngpre Acra-Dkr-Rsso-Bmko Acra-Ctnu
Safari Lgos-Dkr-Rsso Sand Timer Vcamera (wKLG)
Safari x22 SS Sand Timer x3 United Kingdom United States Nigeria x303 : Closed lad accounts pyramid Mortar
Nurse Nastys Audi TTpony Whip Mc Fry Jack Boot
Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

To do this right. forget about leather and faux wood. You simply need to have an eager lad construct a proper new cabinet out of fine solid mahogany -- no veneers -- with a 25-coat hand-rubbed lacquer finish. Just give him the dimensions and have him ship it Fedex. THAT would be a proper machine for the Metimbers family room!

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

I apologize again that I will lick the dust from your sandals - Shorty

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
Shiver Metimbers
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't think I didn't consider something similar Juan Smile

Radden
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

veneer + a good clear coat would make it really stand out, the problem with this though is that if you get a crap piece of veneer, you'll notice the lines stand out and look like crap.

I see things like that all the time at work Laughing

Last edited by Radden on Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
FrumpyBB
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm, maybe your current lad has to prove that he is able to make the whole Donkey Kong run without losing a single Mario! (and have some other lad film it) This is important to show perseverance and willingness to work in the Arcade Game Industry.
Hmm...or a very strong lad throws barrels down a hill and other lads, preferably hitmen, must jump over each single one of them or attack them with a hammer - the oga giving a whistle blow for the start of this bonus round.
Maybe even a Pacman modality is possible...
sweet night thoughts of mine... Embarassed

Safari Dan the lotto man, ARK mugu wedding
Safari Dennis the hitman, co-bait w/ Murry Guru
Safari Zake (w/ SH, SL & Craig)
Safari x 5 Modeling Mugu Meeting, w/ mewing_ghecko & Otterfan & SSC
Safari x 2 another MMM w/ SH
Safari x 13 Later shows and trips for the benefit of M00seknuckle, incl. the 0budu Fact Finding Mission

Come to our Eater University Baiting Tutorials Hello Kitty! pony Cos you deserve it. Smile Mortar x5 Closed lad accounts x50+ Sand Timer x 4 -- T.W.A.T Goat Easter Egg 2013
Radden
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

By the way Shiver.. You're cheating when you have the keys to open the money door! Give the keys to your wife and let her decide where the money goes!

Viva Las Vegas!

ps: Don't trust women with keys and money

Last edited by Radden on Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Radden wrote:
... Viva Los Vegas! ...

Both of them? Laughing
Radden
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Revenge will come soon, KD Wink
Mr Creosote
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I made a 4 player mame machine in a cabinet with proper joysticks and buttons. Styled it on a Jamma cabinet, if it would be useful I might be able to hook out the links for the buttons and joysticks. They were decent microswitch ones.
harrya
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Crying or Very sad This is a bad bad thread.
I ordered one of those boards today. I've been running an internet booth built into an old upright came carcass. Now it's going to get put back to is original use. I will have a switch to swap between internet and game
machine.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic