SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

what a drag...

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
bh sterling
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi...

I checked my RL email and saw--sender: lanka@ learnlink.emory.edu subject there is an ecard waiting for you. I didn't open it because there's no pending occasion at my place so I can't think why I would be receiving a card of any sort. Altho, a thinking about You card from someone special would be a real nice treat in my otherwise ordinary day, I'm now so paranoid from all the stuff I've read about what's been going on that I don't dare open it. What a shame, eh. Sad
persephone
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you do not know the sender, don't open it. Good call ! Very Happy

Closed lad accounts loads
pony pony Mortar x46 United States 3x Canada Malaysia 2x Netherlands 2x Nigeria 2x Ghana 3x Ivory Coast 9x United Kingdom 3x Spain Bahamas, The Germany Australia Algerian Flag Togo 2x Cellphone Pretty Rose Safari 4 days of travel - 7 days stuck in airport
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Even if you DO know it is from I wouldn't open the attachment.

Quote:
An executable type attachment should not be opened unless it was specifically requested or expected. Since email worms are sent to addresses found on infected users' machines, just knowing the sender is no proof of intent - they may well be infected. In fact, odds are an email worm will arrive from someone you know and the sender is oblivious to the viral email being sent from their machine. Worse, today's worms spoof the From address, so it may well be that it's not even from the person you think it is. If there's any question as to the intent

Snipped from http://antivirus.about.com/od/securitytips/a/emailsafety.htm

Edit: This is the key phrase... "An executable type attachment should not be opened unless it was specifically requested or expected." E-Cards should be never be opened. Tell grandma to buy a stamp. Wink

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^Wow. What do you mean by 'spoof'?

edit: LOL--i just now saw your stamp remark

edit to question--not 'what' but how can they spoof?

Last edited by bh sterling on Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Spoofing is the ability to make an email look like it came from a different source. Using a legit looking source increases the odds that a victim will open any attachment inside w/o paying attention.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
spoof the From address

The emails claim to be from somebody you normally correspond with. I get emails from "my corporate office" with "That invoice you requested" files attached all of the time.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
bh sterling
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

how do they do that, do you know? it kinda sounds like they would have to have access to your computer. i know Dell can do that dell.connect thing, which is quite futuristically weird...
luckey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

One method that does not involve spoofing is: some viruses can infiltrate your contact list in your email client (such as Outlook) and send a payload to everyone in there. So your Uncle or friend has a virus that emails itself to you, and it not only looks like it's from them, it is.

Isn't that clever?Evil or Very Mad

bh sterling
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My email is Yahoo and, since meeting the Eater crowd, gmail. Does that mean that I'm relatively safer than if I were using Outlook?
persephone
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think it depends more on the firewall and how up to date your Anti virus is, than your email client.

Closed lad accounts loads
pony pony Mortar x46 United States 3x Canada Malaysia 2x Netherlands 2x Nigeria 2x Ghana 3x Ivory Coast 9x United Kingdom 3x Spain Bahamas, The Germany Australia Algerian Flag Togo 2x Cellphone Pretty Rose Safari 4 days of travel - 7 days stuck in airport
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

sybille wrote:
how do they do that, do you know? it kinda sounds like they would have to have access to your computer. i know Dell can do that dell.connect thing, which is quite futuristically weird...

There are programs out there you can buy to do it. <i>If </i> I remember correctly, spoofing is illegal, for the obvious reasons. Dell can have many email addresses for different departments. The "." period in the name means nothing; as my work email address has it to separate my first and last name in the address.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

sybille wrote:
My email is Yahoo and, since meeting the Eater crowd, gmail. Does that mean that I'm relatively safer than if I were using Outlook?

The infection mostly depends on yourself manually clicking on the .exe file in the email to start the process. Nothing is 100% safe, although most online email services scan incoming mail for suspicious email attachments (.zip or .exe for example) where as Outlook I don't think does it unless you turn the setting on.

Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
bh sterling
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the info, ...OxygenD, i just finished reading about your Parc3l D1r3ct -- human cargo, too, eh! Very Happy
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

sybille wrote:
... there is an ecard waiting for you. ...

Is that really the first one you've ever received?

That spam has been going on for years. I wouldn't open an ecard even if my mother sent me one on my birthday and told me the exact hour it would arrive.

Tr�s dangerous.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic