SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

UPS just bit the dust.

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
JoeTam
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It's dead. Had to plug directly into the wall. Dang! At least i'm still up and running. It's been quite a week.

I went to bank. they call police, why you do this to me? I canntsend you anything now.
Goat dog
harrya
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Is it a budget home UPS?
is the PC shut down at night?
How old is it

Alot of the smaller UPS's are only good if they are good if the the load is taken off to allow recharging the batteries. If left loaded 24/7 the batteries will slowly discharge and eventually the UPS will shut down.

Depending on you symptom of "DEAD"
If all the smoke came out - then it may well be dead.
If it just shut down - it could be the batteries are low or they may be dead.
they are easily replaced normally.
Or it could be just plain ol dead.

It's like every thing in this world there are UPS's and there are UPS's.

*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@JoeTam

Thank you for starting a thread to inform us.

Btw, I checked the tire pressure on my car today. It was a little low, so I put some air in.
Orbter
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've seen a couple of small APC units that have failed, and they just beeped and flashed a red light, and obviously had no output. What actually happened with yours JoeTam?

harrya wrote:

Alot of the smaller UPS's are only good if they are good if the the load is taken off to allow recharging the batteries. If left loaded 24/7 the batteries will slowly discharge and eventually the UPS will shut down.

Really? That sounds like poor (or cheap) design to me. At home I've got a 700VA offline UPS and a 1.5kVA double conversion UPS, and I've never had any trouble like that. Do you know of any particular brands/models that have that problem?

I work for a company that manufactures industrial UPSs (30kVA - 1200kVA) and that type of 'performance' would be totally unacceptable for us!

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, mine runs of of slightly less than 1kw of photovoltaic panels, with a micro wind turbine, going to an 800 amp hour battery (@12vdc). My computer is hooked through a hardwired car adapter, so its all DC (no conversion inefficiencies), though my satellite internet, Hughes, is run off of an inverter.

Um, my point was that my laptop (g4, 17 inch, brushed aluminum, about 5 years old, purchased refurbished) has an internal battery, so in the unlikely event of a power failure, the computer has about 4-5 hours of run time (a lot less with a movie in the DVD slot).

A laptop with a good surge suppressor would give you many of the same things you are looking for in terms of protection and back up power.

Golden Pith x2 Safari x7 Tattoo x7 Closed lad accounts Mortar Vcamera Sand Timer x6 Team Turd Lgs-Dla Bnn-Lbra Acra-Dkar Dkr-Bnjul- Dkr-Tmbktu-Abche-Adre-N'djmna Lgos-Cairo-Aswn-Jail Ctnu-Lgos Ctnu-acra Lgos-Jbrg-Drbn-Prt-Elzbth-CT-Sprngbk-CT-Drbn-CT-Hrre-Lska-DsSlm-Mmbsa-Nirbi-Kmpla 28,510 Miles
Golden Pith Safari x2 Tattoo x6 Vcamera Sand Timer x4 Team Woody Acra-Sngpre Acra-Dkr-Rsso-Bmko Acra-Ctnu
Safari Lgos-Dkr-Rsso Sand Timer Vcamera (wKLG)
Safari x22 SS Sand Timer x3 United Kingdom United States Nigeria x303 : Closed lad accounts pyramid Mortar
Nurse Nastys Audi TTpony Whip Mc Fry Jack Boot
Shiver Metimbers
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Damn! Here's me hoping you were talking about the courier company. Ah well, I can dream I suppose. Those b**t*rds!

----------------------------------
Shiver's scammer trophies.
bombardier
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Funny you should mention those twats Shiv,s...... Only this week they left my Ebay stuff in the corridor of the block i live in, the parcel lasted about 5 minutes before it got lifted by some sticky fingered low life Evil or Very Mad

pony pony Mortar x18
Shiver Metimbers
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Did you get my PM btw Bombardier?

UPS cost me about �1,800 a couple of years ago because of their fairytale insurance system. Too long to go into here, but basically UPS (Manchester Piccadilly) are a bunch of lying, sneaky, swindlers. There, I said it!

Shiver's scammer trophies.

Last edited by Shiver Metimbers on Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
bombardier
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Never got the PM mate, my box was at 106% full but its got a bit of space in now.

When i phoned their hotline to kick off they told me i had to sort it out with the sender, as it happens the guy i bought the stuff off has replaced the nicked stuff and has gone after UPS....top bloke Thumbs up

pony pony Mortar x18
JoeTam
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It just quit working. Maybe it was all the sarcasm that killed it. I'll try putting some air in it, might be low.

I went to bank. they call police, why you do this to me? I canntsend you anything now.
Goat dog
harrya
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Really? That sounds like poor (or cheap) design to me. At home I've got a 700VA offline UPS and a 1.5kVA double conversion UPS, and I've never had any trouble like that. Do you know of any particular brands/models that have that problem?

Yup cheap design. The cheap ones made for the domestic market where the ones that did it. At home you generally don't leave your PC running 24/7 so it shouldn't be an issue. I've worked with larger units as well. I've the smoke come out of them too Smile

** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Joe T,

If adding air doesn't help, a good dunk in a bucket of water always works for me. Shocked

Then I know the item is down for the count! Laughing J/K 'lectricity and tap, salt, anything short of Pure, water don't mix well.

@ Shiver, "See what Brown can do for you." Their slogan in the Colonys.
Never mark a box shipped through them "Fragile". I used to work in a lighting store and several drivers told me that.

EDIT To correct scientific accuracy and linky \/ \/ \/ Wink

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com

Last edited by ParaNoid on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^actually water is a non conductor so doesn't really care about electricity. Salt water is a different story, and since skin has salt on it....

So salt water and electricity don't mix.

"I knew rigth from the first time you sent email to me that,you are a bloody *DELETED*" - Sgt Daniel Vess
"I NO BLAME U NA DI DIRTY TOTO WEN BORN U NA IM I BLAME. CATBINGO" - Lee Wong
"I AM EQUAL TO A MENTAL RETARDED PERSON" - Alvan Ben
"You have pushed me to the wall and i will make you smell yourself i bet." - George Martins
"THE FOOL STOLE YOUR US$755, HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO LEAVE ON THE PLANET" - Jim Ovia

pony pony - for a perfect brown nosing job. Wink

pony Mortar x4
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteSkype Name
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic