SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

German Conversation - Linguistic Challenge.

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Peanut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So I've taken a few years of German through high-school and again in college.

One of my jobs is working phones here at work, and we occasionaly get some calls from our office based in Germany. I'd like to slip in a nice "goodbye" in German, but since I'm not fluent I always feel kind of dumb using German words - worried that I'm using them awkwardly and whatnot.

At the end of a quick, fairly causal conversation. "Looks like he's not in, he'll give you a call. Great, talk to you later..." Can I say "Tschus"?

I keep thinking of the many ESL individuals I know who speak remarkable English but still say things like, "OK, it was excellent to discuss with you. I will to you talk tomorrow. Goodbye for now." ...doesn't flow quite right.

Sand TimerSafariSafari(Lagos-Benin City-Lagos-Kano-Maiduguri-Lagos-Calabar): ~2,696 miles,stranded for 11 days: "I am very grateful that you have turned me into a tourist,international espionage and adventurer." ~Desmond and Churchill

Please i am advicing you to comply with the bank so that they will tranfered this fun into your account. ~Rosemary

U.S. Passport Application - 50 Pages of Fun

The Peanut Gallery - Artwork Baits "DO YOU KNOW THAT SECURITY PHOTOS IS AGAINST HUMANITY , CAN YOU TELL A RESPONSIBLE MAN TO BE CARRYING IN FISH ON THE HEAD TO TAKE A PHOTO. CAN YOU DO THAT?" - Mr. Ferguson
Don
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In business conversation you'd exclusively say "Auf Wiederhören!", "Tschüs" (a distinctively northern German term) was reserved for more intimate conversations with friends or business partners you have a closer contact to. Nowadays "Tschüs" has become more acceptable and might be used at the end of a friendly, somewhat informal conversation with people your age or younger but not everyone will appreciate it the same way so with "Auf Wiederhören!" you'll be on the safe side.

**"Freedom? There ain't no fuckin' Freedom!"**
mathias
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

'bye bye' is also understood and often used Wink

Safari Safari Safari Goat Mortar x4 (2 MIA) Closed lad accounts x lots

Jolly Roger

BASTARD !!! U JUST DEY MAKE ME SPEND MONEY SEND CHECKS TO NON EXISTING PLACES OL BOY NO TRY ME AGAIN OH ABEG JUST FUCK OFF MAKE I WORK COLLECT MONEY..

go screw your mother fucking uncircumcised rotten dick on your bedroom wall and die slow *DELETED* because you don't even worth a second out of my time

now you have taken me to a far area from my place ... I have to sleep under the bridge today ...

Vcamera
Peanut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Don! It is business conversation...but the whole company is remarkably informal. Our CFO is named Bob, but we all just call him by his nickname - even when I just joined. (his nickname is "Ster", which I don't get...but there you go).

What's the difference between "Auf Weidersehn" and "Auf Wiederhören"?

Sand TimerSafariSafari(Lagos-Benin City-Lagos-Kano-Maiduguri-Lagos-Calabar): ~2,696 miles,stranded for 11 days: "I am very grateful that you have turned me into a tourist,international espionage and adventurer." ~Desmond and Churchill

Please i am advicing you to comply with the bank so that they will tranfered this fun into your account. ~Rosemary

The Peanut Gallery - Artwork Baits "DO YOU KNOW THAT SECURITY PHOTOS IS AGAINST HUMANITY , CAN YOU TELL A RESPONSIBLE MAN TO BE CARRYING IN FISH ON THE HEAD TO TAKE A PHOTO. CAN YOU DO THAT?" - Mr. Ferguson
Volfan
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

"Auf Wiedersehen" is roughly "Until I see you again" while "Auf Widerhören" is "Until I speak with you again".

Also, while "Tschüss" is generally used among friends, I've also heard it used in business situations, particularly in retail situations.

My German is pretty decent (I lived there for three years), so let me know if I can help. Smile
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I often say "fick Dich ins Knie," but I wouldn't recommend it if you can't get the pronunciation right, some people could get upset. Wink
Don
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^ Laughing

Why not stick to the classic "leck mich am Arsch"?

mathias wrote:
'bye bye' is also understood and often used Wink

Yes, sure, if by business we mean selling Starbucks coffee-substitute to misguided twentysomethings who wrap jumpers around their waists. Wink

**"Freedom? There ain't no fuckin' Freedom!"**
breadcrumb
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well you know, if anything else fails, just end the conversation with "Saupreuss" or "Scheiss Piefke".... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Seriously: I found out that in the Cologne area "Tschö" is also very often used. Very Happy

"your papa, i do you ok, you do fuck your self off goodday" Hitman lad to Usm4an B3ll0
"fuck you and your mumu family for ever andv ever, you go die for bicycle accident this year" Hitman to Usm4n B3ll0
"once again thank you for the disappointment and arranged confussion." Barrister Ise
"Do you said am stupid" lad posing as Mike Pence
Click here to support 419Eater.com
Postcount doesn´t matter.
pony Rolling Eyes (Admin Certified)
9x United Kingdom 2x Spain Benin Netherlands Nigeria Switzerland
Mortar x12
mathias
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

why not use a more decent 'mach dich vom Acker Arschloch!' like i have often heard in pubs Laughing (but i would not recommend to talk like that to a ViP customer) Wink

Jolly Roger

BASTARD !!! U JUST DEY MAKE ME SPEND MONEY SEND CHECKS TO NON EXISTING PLACES OL BOY NO TRY ME AGAIN OH ABEG JUST FUCK OFF MAKE I WORK COLLECT MONEY..

go screw your mother fucking uncircumcised rotten dick on your bedroom wall and die slow *DELETED* because you don't even worth a second out of my time

now you have taken me to a far area from my place ... I have to sleep under the bridge today ...

Vcamera

Last edited by mathias on Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Although probably nobody really cares, "tschüß"/"tschö" originated in the Cologne area and are a local adoption (= Verballhornung) of the French "adieu." It's origins go back to the period when Cologne became a French protectorate after being occupied by Napoleon.
Peanut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Vielen dank zu alles!

...that's me not looking anything up and trying to remember how to speak the lovely Deutsch. Meine grammatisch ist gewöhnliche schlect!

mathias
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Peanut wrote:
Vielen dank zu alles!

]

Vielen Dank FÜR alles to be exact. - Bitte sehr. Guten Abend und auf Wiedersehen. Wink

Jolly Roger

Vcamera
Hekate
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

kleindoofy wrote:
I often say "fick Dich ins Knie," but I wouldn't recommend it if you can't get the pronunciation right, some people could get upset. Wink

Wash your mouth out with soap! (And not the nice perfume4d stuff either!)
Wink

What you were saying about "tschüß" reminds me of the time I told my sister-in-law's mother that "Portemonnaie", which is the word she uses for "purse" (in the UK sense of the word) is an adopted French word. She didn't speak to me for a few days once I'd proved it. Which was nice, as she never shuts up. Twisted Evil

We have on our programms according to the lay down rules to pay the Asians mostly the indians and malasians now and after that it may change. Rev. James Ucheomma

do you really think that i am just a stupid man like you,listen for the veru last time if i did'nt see XXXX after 24 hours you will heat your self.. [love scammer Chucks]

IT'S NOT I LOOKING FOR WORK.GOD FORBID.I CAN BE IN AN OCEAN AND WASH MY HEAD WITH MY SPIT. THANKS AND GOD BLESS.
MARK DOUGLAS.

United Kingdom France 2 x Netherlands
Cellphone
Safari See SP's Irish Safari!
Mortar x14
Golden Pith

Click here to support 419Eater.com
Volfan
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

mathias wrote:
Peanut wrote:
Vielen dank zu alles!

]

Vielen Dank FÜR alles to be exact. - Bitte sehr. Guten Abend und auf Wiedersehen. Wink

Soll "Vielen Dank an Alle" sein, oder?
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^ Nein. Er meint "vielen Dank für alle Antworten (ausgenommen den Blödsinn von Kleindoofy)".

Also 'für'.

Ansonsten hieße es "vielen Dank an alle (ausgenommen Kleindoofy, der mich soeben mein Job gekostet hat)".

Wink
Volfan
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Achso, klar. Hab' ich vorher offensichtlich falsch verstanden. Manchmal bin ich bestimmt auch Bloed!

Razz
Frederick Fokker
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@volfan nein, nein, fuer jemanden, der nur kurze Zeit in Deutschland gelebt hat und das vor laengerer Zeit, ist das wirklich gut... Very Happy
FrumpyBB
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Das erinnert mich hier ein bisschen an die Jugendschwänke von und auf dem anderen Forum LOL
Sort of old comrades meeting again when they are fat and rich by now, laughing about the days of old and the Blödsinn they have said. Tschüss!

Safari Dan the lotto man, ARK mugu wedding
Safari Dennis the hitman, co-bait w/ Murry Guru
Safari Zake (w/ SH, SL & Craig)
Safari x 5 Modeling Mugu Meeting, w/ mewing_ghecko & Otterfan & SSC
Safari x 2 another MMM w/ SH
Safari x 13 Later shows and trips for the benefit of M00seknuckle, incl. the 0budu Fact Finding Mission

Come to our Eater University Baiting Tutorials Hello Kitty! pony Cos you deserve it. Smile Mortar x5 Closed lad accounts x50+ Sand Timer x 4 -- T.W.A.T Goat Easter Egg 2013
mathias
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Volfan wrote:
.... Manchmal bin ich bestimmt auch Bloed!

Razz

das macht doch nichts. Laughing

Jolly Roger

Vcamera
FrumpyBB
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Alles gar nicht wahr... denn dumm ist der, der Dummes tut Smile - By Forrest G....would be an interesting baiting character Idea

Safari Dan the lotto man, ARK mugu wedding
Safari Dennis the hitman, co-bait w/ Murry Guru
Safari Zake (w/ SH, SL & Craig)
Safari x 5 Modeling Mugu Meeting, w/ mewing_ghecko & Otterfan & SSC
Safari x 2 another MMM w/ SH
Safari x 13 Later shows and trips for the benefit of M00seknuckle, incl. the 0budu Fact Finding Mission

Come to our Eater University Baiting Tutorials Hello Kitty! pony Cos you deserve it. Smile Mortar x5 Closed lad accounts x50+ Sand Timer x 4 -- T.W.A.T Goat Easter Egg 2013
Volfan
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Naja, Ich war drei Jahre in Berlin...von '88 bis '91. Letztes Jahr bin ich auch zurueckgegangen...eine Woche nochmal in Berlin. Die Stadt war bestimmt ganz anders als ich mich an sie erinnern. Alexanderplatz....die ganze ehemaligen Ost Berlin ist heutzutage 'was anders!

Mindestens kann man immernoch Currywurst oder Doener kaufen! Razz

"Icke bin Berliner, wat ick kann kann keener!"

Wink
Frederick Fokker
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

haaaa Alexanderplatz...86...."the Rocky Horror Picture Show"....Currywurst, Kudorf... Very Happy

Sadly, i also remember an American friend of mine who died in the "La Belle" bombing...the only sad memory i have of My student year in Berlin...
mape01
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
What's the difference between "Auf Weidersehn" and "Auf Wiederhören"?

Easy:
"Auf Wiederhören" is used at the end of telephone conversations without exeption.
You can start looking very appalled when using it inadvertently at the end of a face to face meeting.

"Auf Wiedersehen" (= hope to see you again) is the usual greeting at the end of a face to face meeting but can be used on the phone without major embarrassment.

But "Tschüs" is, as mentioned above a purely (northern) german, very informal term, NEVER to be used in Austria.

419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

kleindoofy wrote:
Ansonsten hieße es "vielen Dank an alle (ausgenommen Kleindoofy, der mich soeben mein Job gekostet hat)".Wink

Und ich dachte immer, Kleindoofy wäre eine SIE... Embarassed

Bist das etwa gar nicht DU in Deinem Userpic? Shocked Very Happy

English: KD just outed itself by admitting to be MALE in the above quote. That sort of blows my illusions! Very Happy

On topic: you might as well try "Hau die Hühner" for "goodbye", as the Northern Germans like to say.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic