SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

I need help w/ some British terminology circa 1930

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Old Master
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Someone from the UK can help me here. I need to know the British terms for these common Yank words:

And BTW...these would be terms used by what we would describe as "middle class" people such as store clerks, lorry drivers, police officers, etc. (You know...the real backbone of the nation!)

1. What would a "grandmother-type" lady have called her "purse," or "handbag" back about 1930?

2. In USA we have a "Certified Public Accountant" or just an "accountant." What's the Brit term?

3. What would the "assistant manager" of an "accounting firm" be called?

4. What do you call a "bus?" You know, the big motor coaches that take British tourists to see the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, etc. NOTE: I do NOT want the name of the big London double-deckers. NOTE #2: What would a smaller, maybe thirty-passenger bus have been called back about 1930...this is actually the term I need!

5. A small town located about 15 miles from London, in 1930...what would a local, uniformed, police constable be called? I need the formal name, and then their nickname, please.

6. I assume there were "ice men" in the UK back before refrigerators; they came around in horse-drawn wagons, and would chip you off five or ten pounds of ice. What would they have called the instrument they used? (We called it an "ice pick.")

7. A London "accountant" living in a suburb of London; he's standing in the queue waiting for his "bus." It is cold and damp, and he is wearing his "overcoat" over top his office coat and tie. What would that "overcoat" have been called in 1930?

8. The accountant is carrying his "briefcase"...you know, the leather or vinyl bag an office worker might carry to look important but it really contains his lunch and a girlie magazine. What do you call a "briefcase?"

Okay, I feel that I'm pushing my luck here so I'll stop. I may have need for more but if so perhaps I'll do it by PM. THANKS SO MUCH!!!

"You'd have to be an idiot to fall off, wouldn't you, Mister President." The British idiot, Piers Morgan, commenting on Prez Bush's spill, but who recently suffered broken ribs and other injuries after falling off his Segway scooter. I love it...
Bigglesworth
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'll try for you Old Master. Bear in kind that I was not born until 1938. But many of the expressions would be the same and will not have changed a great deal even since then.
1.Purses have traditionally been called "handbags" in the U.K. (since the time of coracles).
2. A Chartered Accountant
3. I think he would have been simply called the "Assistant Manager". Or MR.****** with much emphasis on the MISTER. Brits are very rank conscious.
4. What North Americans call a coach would (or would have been, as many American expressions have crept into U.K. English), been called a "charabanc". (Don't ask me why, probably because it was a bank of chairs on an original chassis Smile
5. He would have been called a "Constable" or more familiarly a "Bobbie". He could also have been called a "Peeler". Both of these latter names were slang taken from the founder of the original London Metropolitan Police Force, Sir Robert (Bobbie) Peel (Peeler). i.e. Sir Robert Peel. This would be a very good item to use in your bait as it would lend great credibility to your character.
6. I'm not suer that Brits used ice boxes. We never had one anyway. Britain does not suffer truly cold winters so there would be no natural source of ice, and refrigeration was not invented at that time I would think. If ice were brought from abroad it would have been horrendously expensive and way out of reach for the Brit you describe.
7. It would have been called an "overcoat" or possibly a "greatcoat". As kids we talked of our overcoats (which we often put on our beds to add warmth on the cold damp nights). Another coat used greatly by the Brits you describe would be the "Mackintosh" or "Mac". This would be equivalent to the American raincoat. A well-known manufacturer of "Macs" was the Burberry Company and this name (i,e, Burberry), became synonymous with "Macs" also.
8. The case would most likely have been called a "Briefcase" because originally they epitomised lawyers ("Solicitors" in Britain), and were used to carry legal "Briefs" into court. (As well as the girlie magazine). They would ALL have been leather as 'vinyl' had not been invented at that time.

Hope this helps. If you need more contact me via private message box.
Fo'andles
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The word you are looking for under 6 is pantry or larder
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's my answers...

1. Grandmas keep their money in purses which then went in their hand bags, which usually had handles on them.

2. Chartered Accountant

3. Nowadays most Brit accountancy firms are limited partnerships. The partners share the profits in agreed percentages or fixed share for junior partners. Not sure that there would be 'Assistant Managers' then, but there would be 'Managers' reporting directly to the partners, who they would address as 'Mr XXX'

4. Coaches

5. Nickname ' a bobby'. I suppose it depended on who was addressing them or talking about them. I don't think the crims were particularly polite in their terms of endearment. 'Rossers' or 'the filth' were two of the more polite terms.

6. Don't know.

7. Long waterproof overcoat would by called a 'mac' short for' Macintosh'. A non-waterproof coat would be called his 'overcoat'.

8. 'A briefcase'. I never had any girlie mags in mine and the handle dropped off on the way to see an elderly client at home. Very embarrassing!

Do I get my prize now? Laughing

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
Hekate
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Store clerks, lorry drivers, police officers etc weren't middle-class. That would have been civil servants, people working in offices etc. Shop workers (clerks) etc would have been regarded as working class.

Plus, icehouses have been quite common among the well-off since the 1700s or earlier, who would have had the ice delivered (usually wrapped in straw, for insulation).

We have on our programms according to the lay down rules to pay the Asians mostly the indians and malasians now and after that it may change. Rev. James Ucheomma

do you really think that i am just a stupid man like you,listen for the veru last time if i did'nt see XXXX after 24 hours you will heat your self.. [love scammer Chucks]

IT'S NOT I LOOKING FOR WORK.GOD FORBID.I CAN BE IN AN OCEAN AND WASH MY HEAD WITH MY SPIT. THANKS AND GOD BLESS.
MARK DOUGLAS.

United Kingdom France 2 x Netherlands
Cellphone
Safari See SP's Irish Safari!
Mortar x14
Golden Pith

Click here to support 419Eater.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic