SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Question about the attack....

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
FireWyrm
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

swordfish wrote:
Steve Gibson has written some good stuff:

Any relation to William Gibson..?.

"SCHOOLS FOR THE DEAF/DUMPS" - Frank
"I will not live long since my ailment has defiled all forms of medical treatment" - Victoria
PLEASE IGNORE ANY FURTHER MESSAGE FROM CHARLES OR WHATEVER FOR GOODNESS SAKE.!!! - FRANK AGAIN
so how do you want me to beat trust in you now??? (I think I've annoyed him - Frank again)

Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone
harrya
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
The next question, how can I tell I'm clean

Apart from the mentioned anti virus tests have a look at network monitor in task manager if you have windows.

If it's shows constant activity when you aren't doing anything then further investigation will be required. Shut down everything that uses the network.
browsers, mail clients etc.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

***Copied from a previous post I made in another thread.

Since we are all taking a crash course on Computer Security 101 I thought I would share this.

It is a slick (Windows) application that will tell you what open connections you have to the internet and who your computer is talking to. Nice for sniffing out nasties on your computer that scans may miss. (Good for spyware/adware/trojans) It doesn't actually "fix" anything, but should alert you to any problems, like a persistent open TCP connection to a server that is unfamiliar to you.

Edit: (It is just a nice GUI for netstat, for those that are familiar with that command)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Networking/TcpView.mspx

Unzip it and run Tcpview.

Here is another good resource...

http://www.processlibrary.com/

Do a Ctl+Alt+Del and click on the "Processes" tab

Now enter some of those processes by name (in the left hand column) into the data base to find out what that particular process is doing on your computer. It will alert you to any processes that are dangerous.

Beware when disabling processes, if you nix the wrong one... well, lets just say, its not a good thing if you don't know what you are doing.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will help the best I can.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

To answer a question way back in the thread. The bot owners operate under capitalism. The cost is not what you get. The cost is what the customer is willing to pay. Just because it takes no real work to operate the bot network or much work to distribute it, doesn't mean it isn't worth a great deal of money for criminals to employ it.

But, my theory is that this attack is not a paid-for bot attack. We are being attack by a group that owns their own botnet. And is in the scam/spam/criminal element. It essentially costs them nothing to run their own bots. This only my opinion.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
mike hunter
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

well even then, if it is owned by them they are losing income not being able to rent it out while attacking... so they are losing money either way I guess.

Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Depends on the size of the botnet. Some run into millions of computers and they never use the full power of them. If DrWho is right then chances are it's a group using a small part of the net and renting the other machines out as per usual.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
harrya
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OK the worst situation is where :

10 start virus
20 don't care
30 start virus just in case
40 check if boss hog has called.
50 create new me somewhere
60 who cares if boss called
70 asshole never called
80 goto 10

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wish I had a copy of this bot code... would be interesting to pick apart...

DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Get yourself a cheap computer, install win xp, do not update it, turn off all scanners and protection, connect it directly to the internet, click on every link you find and install every helpful link sent to you. In a few days you will have all the virus and bots you could want. How to get this specific one, I don't know.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic