SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Necroing, when is it time to let it go?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Favre4ever
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

When I first got here, I was new to the whole message board thing. I didn't like any board I had seen (mostly because of the flame wars and idiotic topics people seemed to want to discuss). Now that I have found a place where I feel welcome, I find myself looking through the forum and wanting to add my 2 cents worth. The problem is that I was unfamiliar with the ethics of proper posting, and was informed by a moderator not to necro old posts. Long story short, how long is too long? I know content is a major factor, but can everyone give me a ballpark figure? I don't want to piss anyone off for speaking my mind.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There isn't a hard-and-fast rule, as the thread content counts for a lot. If the thread was started by someone asking a question about what to do next with their bait, popping in with an answer 3 weeks later is pretty necroish any way you look at it. If the OP was posting general info, "anyone baiting", or something similar; then 3 weeks might be just fine.

If in doubt, simply start a new thread with a link to the old one. Wink

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

In addition to SF's reply, I think the main reason the admin and mods are against it, is because it slows down the server response when a request is sent for a particular thread that goes way back when. It's similar to having stuff on your hard drive if you think about it. The whole disc has to be scanned to look for the file or folder which slows down operating time every time a view request is sent. If there are too many old threads being viewed at the same time as newer ones, the reading head is having to thrash around all over place. No doubt admin will put me right though. Wink

There is no reason why you shouldn't discuss an old topic if you think it's relevant though. We never get tired of discussing ehhics for instance, or cheese, a firm fav. Don't even get me started on cats ! Rolling Eyes

If you want to disscus an old topic, do as I did here, just put a link so we can go back and look for ourselves. Doesn't clutter up the site, helps in the smooth running and keeps the dreaded mods off your case. Winners all round! Wink

PS. You nerco ^ you DIE!!! Twisted Evil

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman

Last edited by windypops on Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Favre4ever
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I just realized that I should have posted this in the general discussion forum Embarassed . I hereby bow down for an official moderator slap Sad .

Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You're new, don't beat yourself up, really. Everyone learns. Very Happy

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg
Eliza_Doolittle
"Warned for lad hugging"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The other thing is to do a search to see if there's currently a topic about what you want to post about, and guess what - - someone has asked a very similar question within the past week here:

http://ninjaforce.redirectme.net/viewtopic.php?t=121949

So, you can find out what others have had to say about this topic there, too.

Now I know - you sit there and think - Oh shit - i'm a n00b - - I'm trying hard to learn what not to do - and now by posting this - - I've violated another one of those message board rules - - but don't worry - we all live and learn - NONE of us is perfect.....well ....maybe Don, Nurse Nasty, and KD - - but everyone else usually has to learn from their mistakes.

vLad's ebay auction states "Wonderful seller! Thinks "out of the box" to get item to you."
<br>
starstar Ghana Easter Egg 2013

Vcamera <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrsRobinson419"> Click to see the videos Ed sent me.</a><br>
<A href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/index.html"> Eliza's lad quotes, photos, and audio files</a>
Mortar x12
*this sig icon has been censored* <br><a href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/809104_ML.pdf" > click here</a> for a Bank Account Transfer Form.
Golden Pith
e6ffdyr0
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Favre4ever

mods are very fast and slappy here, seems they are used to slap from their lads. Dont let it bring your spirit down. The upside of this mods activity is, that no endless flamewars occur.

Worst necroing is to post to an old thread of yours to keep it alive and visible to most. So I guess your intentions matters as well.

i DEY SHIT ON UR PAPA AND UR MAMA HEAD. iNSHORT I GO ASK RAT TO SHIT INSIDE THERE MOUTHS IF U KNOW DEY CAREFUL. AND U GO ROAT IN HELL FIRE YOU AND ALL YOUR FAMI;LY. (tunde aramide)

11x Cellphone
Pith Helmet Tamale -> Accra (4hm3d R4y4n K4d1r1)
Pith Helmet Hamburg -> Hannover (B4rry M3ns4)
J0shua Al4mu Th0mas & K3lvin Oz1ri (both courtesy of Prudential Ltd.)
Exclamation For reasons only known to myself, I have discontinued all my funbaiting efforts. Exclamation
Harry Bawls
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just do what I do. Make up your own rules. The "rules" around here are merely "guidelines" Twisted Evil

***waiting for the expected slap***
lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Necroing a thread, happens to so many people and is really not the end of the world. Wink
Someone will be happy to report it, a mod will come along and lock it.

As SF mentioned, if you find a topic that you'd really like to rehash and discuss, go ahead and start a new topic with a link to the older one.

On the other hand, starting a topic that is already being discussed, will certainly have SP or Tsnerd slapping you around Laughing

http://ninjaforce.redirectme.net/viewtopic.php?t=121949

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here is my best necro, 3 years!

http://ninjaforce.redirectme.net/viewtopic.php?p=982843&highlight=#982843

*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SlayerFaith wrote:
... then 3 weeks might be just fine. ...

Four, actually.

The mods generally won't do anything unless a thread is about a month or so old. Even then, if the new post is sensible, a valuable addition, and the thread isn't ancient (>two months), it will probably ride.

However, if it's just a "yeah Dude, that rocks," it will probably go down very quickly. You'de be surprised how often that happens.
e6ffdyr0
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

yeah Dude, that rocks

Question Wink

i DEY SHIT ON UR PAPA AND UR MAMA HEAD. iNSHORT I GO ASK RAT TO SHIT INSIDE THERE MOUTHS IF U KNOW DEY CAREFUL. AND U GO ROAT IN HELL FIRE YOU AND ALL YOUR FAMI;LY. (tunde aramide)

11x Cellphone
Pith Helmet Tamale -> Accra (4hm3d R4y4n K4d1r1)
Pith Helmet Hamburg -> Hannover (B4rry M3ns4)
J0shua Al4mu Th0mas & K3lvin Oz1ri (both courtesy of Prudential Ltd.)
Exclamation For reasons only known to myself, I have discontinued all my funbaiting efforts. Exclamation
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I sometimes lock a necro thread, but would much rather just delete the offending post.

Many necros are made by driveby trolling nitwits who never notice that the post is gone.

If the necro was an honest mistake and the poster had something worthwhile to add to an old thread this will usually become apparent and one of us slap happy but ever helpful Mods will steer that user along the path to enlightenment.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Mundy
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Favre4ever wrote:
I just realized that I should have posted this in the general discussion forum Embarassed . I hereby bow down for an official moderator slap Sad .

If you'd like to read an example of a slightly bigger forum error and the 350 posts worth of ritual humiliation that followed try clicking on the link in my sig.

You'll have to donate to eater to see it though but you'll come over all warm and fuzzy so everyone wins. Wink

I got on the wrong bus one day and ended up here
Why not support eater by donating then you get to see it.
callum
Director of Press Relations

Location: On the run from the asylum and this seems like a good place to hide. Blend right in...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tsnerd wrote:
driveby trolling nitwits
Didn't think trolling nitwits had the IQ to drive.

Oh, you mean this... Image

x 2 teeny part of a large effort Mortar x29 Nurse Nastys Audi TT x5
Trolling is usually symptomatic of bad character, mental problems or ugliness - RIP Jock_2009
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tsnerd wrote:
... ever helpful Mods will steer that user along the path to enlightenment.

Yez, vee have our vays.

remmy223
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ mundy
Quote:
If you'd like to read an example of a slightly bigger forum error and the 350 posts worth of ritual humiliation that followed try clicking on the link in my sig.

Laughing Laughing

you are bauitfull i will show the picture to my kid

Death man walking.
Click here to support 419Eater.com
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

KD, I thought that we were only to use that tool for those that abused the quote function?

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Please check the mod manual, n00b! Wink
Zorro
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Favre4ever <---

Don't listen to them F4E. Don't listen to them. Do the necro and then do it again. The fun's in breaking the rules, no?

There is one way to find out if a man is honest; ask him! If he says yes, you know he's crooked.

The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

And we haven't suspended anyone for a long time.

I like suspensions. Especially the begging to get back in.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
FireWyrm
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Favre4ever wrote:

Mod slapping seems to be an occupational hazard for me...You get used to it. Just use your common sense when posting and dont let the odd bad apple frighten you off. On the whole, this board is more civilised than most. We all seem to respect each other. Take the slappings in the spirit they are intended...to teach.

"SCHOOLS FOR THE DEAF/DUMPS" - Frank
"I will not live long since my ailment has defiled all forms of medical treatment" - Victoria
PLEASE IGNORE ANY FURTHER MESSAGE FROM CHARLES OR WHATEVER FOR GOODNESS SAKE.!!! - FRANK AGAIN
so how do you want me to beat trust in you now??? (I think I've annoyed him - Frank again)

Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

FireWyrm wrote:
... Mod slapping seems to be an occupational hazard for me...You get used to it. ...

Hello. My name is Kleindoofy. I don't believe we've met. Cool
FireWyrm
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Really, I thought you chewed me out a month or two ago...or was that someone else? There are so many... Confused

"SCHOOLS FOR THE DEAF/DUMPS" - Frank
"I will not live long since my ailment has defiled all forms of medical treatment" - Victoria
PLEASE IGNORE ANY FURTHER MESSAGE FROM CHARLES OR WHATEVER FOR GOODNESS SAKE.!!! - FRANK AGAIN
so how do you want me to beat trust in you now??? (I think I've annoyed him - Frank again)

Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone
BlueTiger
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd try to be funny and ask what necroing is, but since I know, and those who I know know that I know, I think I'd end up getting slapped.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic