SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Mike Milliard: Clueless hack?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Obi-Wan Knievel
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It wasn't easy to do, but with much swearing I finished that idiot's article. Typical sensationalist opinionism (is that a word?). I trust journalists less than I trust politicians, and I've seen way too much "that's the way we saw it" reporting.

Basically this guy needed to write something, and followed the standard rule of journalism: Gather one or two facts to fall back on, then say whatever the hell you want and claim freedom of press if you're ever called out on it.

I do, however, like the "swashbuckling vigilante" reference! But most of the article proves one of Eater's points: An idiot is an idiot, regardless of their skin colour.
B. A. Ware
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

illinformed semi-ladhugging democrat wrote:
Is it too much to compare the debasement of scammers to the photographed degradation at Abu Ghraib? Probably.

Old salesmans trick to bring up something that isn't really relevant but gets the uninformed to create a mental image. Once the "mark" has this image the "salesman" says, "Oh that's not fair to compare" so he can justify himself.

Once it's been said, it's been said.
Red
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

While the guy is entitled to an opinion he should do his research first.

He should actually take on a bait and see what a scammer is like.

He says "it�s also disturbing to see poor, uneducated people from such a profoundly damaged place posing for obscene and/or absurd photographs in the hopes of getting some money."

However, I would argue that most of the scammers I have conversed with are just as educated if not more educated than the average citizen in the street here, there or anywhere. They speak more than one language (more than I can do) and they are often university educated (as photographic and testimonial evidence has shown).

And comparing baiting to slavery is an absolute joke in itself. If anything the scammers enslave their victims. The lads want money and they're happy to steal it.

I'd like to see this bloke write an article saying that we shouldn't put thieves in jail because it tarnishes their reputation and demeans them all because they were simply stealing "in the hopes of getting some money".

Jail or tattoo? Prison or photo?

Which do you think the mugu would rather choose?

Clearly he has missed the point.

United Kingdom x36 Malaysia x6 European Union x2 United States x10 Italy x5 x4 Benin x6 Netherlands x8 Russia x2 Indonesia x2 Nigeria x11 x3 Gambia Canada x3 Spain x13 Hong Kong Gibraltar Germany x3 Cayman Islands Japan x2 Belgium x3 United Nations x3 Flag Monaco x2 Austria Ivory Coast x4 x2 Ireland Bahamas, The x2 Portugal x2 Switzerland x4 x3 Ghana x3 Sweden France x2 Serbia and Montenegro x2 China x2 Togo x2 Ukraine x2 South Africa Somolia
Golden Pith 1k3: West African Tour
Safari Ben: Lagos (Nigeria) - Accra (Ghana)
Mortar x10
Philo Kvetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not surprized at all - considering the source. The Phoenix is known as an "alternative" type *news* source. They shouldn't be characterised as democrat.......... A proper characterisation would get me banned.

Click here to support 419Eater.com
guineagirl
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Another baiter writes: �I have lived in West Africa for 4 years and I am married to a West African. I have seen first hand that . . . the most screwed up countries are not necessarily those who were the most colonized or those most exploited for the slave trade, but those who suffer most from corruption.� Thanks to 419 scammers, she writes, every bank transfer made there is held up by red flags because the area is associated with fraud.

That line in red is NOT what I said. I said I always WONDER if it will be held up.

Quote:
The persons depicted in the photos are e-mail scammers, those Nigerian hucksters whose broken-English entreaties � promising millions in riches if only some dim dupe across the Atlantic will wire a few thousand in processing fees up front � flood your inbox each morning.

My, how dare he say that all scammer = Nigerian.

Ok, now I can't find it, and I'm tired of scanning the article looking for it, but when he talks about the majority of people in trophy photos not smiling, he is displaying his cultural bias. In many countries, smiling is not considered appropriate in official photos, and not everyone feels compelled to flash their pearly whites (or dingy browns) as much as American photo subjects do.
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Blegh. Another half-baked article on scambaiting that tries to use colonial imperialism as a retort to what we do. Nothing new -- it's a shame but when the reporter quotes tF as his main source, well, that tells you all you need to know. Confused

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
bombardier
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What a prick......he didn,t even put my Youtube link up Evil or Very Mad

pony pony Mortar x18
lokie
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

For the author of that article.

When I reply to a scammers offers of millions, I do so on the basis that I intend to waste his/her time. I don't care what nationality/colour/creed/sex/size/age/whatever the scammer is. All I care about is can I make this person believe that spending a few hours in an airport arrivals lounge is a good use of their time. Can I get this person to waste time waiting by their annonymous drop box to sign for a package that won't turn up. Can I get this person to risk being arrested by trying to claim money that doesn't exist.

I just deleted 7 paragraphs pulling your article apart. I covered how you could have educated your readers but doing so didn't fit with the viewpoint you used for the article. I covered how some of the scambaits you listed were covered by other outlets and helped to spread some education about scams which your article fails to do.

But after writing all of that I didn't feel better about the situation. And thats the point you should realise, the 2 pages and growing of outrage at your article has not made any of us feel better. We woke up before your article was published doing what we do in good faith, we will continue to do what we do in good faith. Your closet accusations regarding our motives may taint our reputation in some quarters, but ultimately it changes nothing.

Tommorow I shall wake up and continue hurting scammers in my own fashion. Tommorow I hope you wake up and rue your missed oppertunity to do likewise.

Shiver Metimbers
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

JMRazor wrote:
quotes tF as his main source

Hey! Be more respectful when you talk about the 'Babe Ruth of scambaiting' in future why don't ya Laughing

Shiver - AKA The Milli Vanilli of scambaiting (c) Rover 2005

----------------------------------
Shiver's scammer trophies.
----------------------------------
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I can't really be arsed to do so, but it might be interesting to compare that article with past 'ethics threads' for parallels in style and/or content.

Something tells me he's a now dormant member here who got browbeaten in a n00b style 'ethics thread.'

So? What do we learn out of that for the future?

Nothing. Who cares? Back to business as usual, thank you.
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
As proof, a site moderator � presumably founder Michael *****, whose screen name is �Shiver Metimbers� (and who did not respond to a request for comment) � lays out the facts

Can anyone else smell the sarcasm? The author seems a tad more personally involved rather than being objective.

Edit to add:
Quote:
Says Thurston: �Maybe I�ll start my own vigilante scambaiter-baiter service. Get scambaiters to hold up signs saying: �Neo-colonial online activist.� �

"Neo-colonial online activist" doesn't have the same ring as "swashbuckling vigilante"

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just read this and I agree that he has a problem with eater.Rolling Eyes

As KD said, "Who cares? Back to business as usual." Wink

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
dr stephen williams
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, he has lots of good point... I think we are all mean spirited people who pick on people who have no way to support themselves but deceiving their way into taking little old ladies retirement funds...

After reading this article, I feel cheap......

HEY, I'm sending someone on a very expensice safari! and, ya know what? I feel good about feeling good!

So kick the lads in the teeth, and let's all come in close for a big group hug...

BTW, does this guy have an email adress? I want to write him as a reformed scarmer.... Twisted Evil

Golden Pith x2 Safari x7 Tattoo x7 Closed lad accounts Mortar Vcamera Sand Timer x6 Team Turd Lgs-Dla Bnn-Lbra Acra-Dkar Dkr-Bnjul- Dkr-Tmbktu-Abche-Adre-N'djmna Lgos-Cairo-Aswn-Jail Ctnu-Lgos Ctnu-acra Lgos-Jbrg-Drbn-Prt-Elzbth-CT-Sprngbk-CT-Drbn-CT-Hrre-Lska-DsSlm-Mmbsa-Nirbi-Kmpla 28,510 Miles
Golden Pith Safari x2 Tattoo x6 Vcamera Sand Timer x4 Team Woody Acra-Sngpre Acra-Dkr-Rsso-Bmko Acra-Ctnu
Safari Lgos-Dkr-Rsso Sand Timer Vcamera (wKLG)
Safari x22 SS Sand Timer x3 United Kingdom United States Nigeria x303 : Closed lad accounts pyramid Mortar
Nurse Nastys Audi TTpony Whip Mc Fry Jack Boot
wayne
Account closed at users request

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I guess he ignored the romance section, where we bait scammers from all across the globe. I'd say 2/3 of the scammers I bait have nothing at all to do with the areas the "journo" was talking about.

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

He is repeating the same arguments that appeared in the Atlantic article, but of course doesn't mention that article. Notice that many of the quotes came from the discussion of the Atlantic article. Well at least we know he knows how to cut and paste.

It's easy to call other people racist/neocolonist, not so easy to come up with solutions to underlying problems (for example a 50% unemployment rate in Nigeria - please note that I am only naming that country as an example)

On the other hand, it is good to keep in mind how posts on this site could be interpreted (or misinterpreted) by outsiders.

Last edited by guineagirl on Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

He forgot a few things, as shiver pointed out.

1. We never know who the person the other end of the email is UNTIL they send a picture - even then we have NO PROOF the person in the picture is the scammer. ( we tackle scams around the globe, we couldnt target one specific place even if we wanted to )

2. I have been here over 18 months - not a single member ever posted something DEROGATORY, it has always been reported on the ACTION of others never EVER does anyone post derogatory stuff and im sure if they did they would get stomped on and banned for life.

People join eater for a myriad of reasons, either they have been scammed, they know someone who has been scammed or they just want to participate.

Other than that the article is heavily suggestive and deflamatory to us.
MIKE MILIARD should take a look at all the forum, not pick parts then make his own assumptions be cause assume =- Ass of U & ME

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
guineagirl
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^In general, I agree, but after writing a response to the Atlantic article, I did find some members who had written about "owning" lads, which IMHO could be severely misconstrued.

Also, there are the ethics threads where posters confuse what scammers "deserve" with what we should dish out (two different things, which is why most "Western" countries have abandoned the death penalty).

For me, the ideal situation would be a carrot and stick approach, where baiters contribute to decreasing returns for scammers while someone provides an alternate opportunity for making money through honest means. I for one have contributed a few thousand dollars over the past few years for employees in West Africa (I mean for wages, not handouts), but this is just a drop in the ocean. Some of these 4rsewh0l3s who accuse others of racism should pitch in to help out and provide job opportunitities, otherwise, they are just hypocritical wankers.

Edit: My, a bit of wine and I get on my high horse, don't I?
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just got an email asking if my comment on the article (under the name ) could be published as a letter to the editor Smile

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
Gaz
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree. Feck him.

If, God forbid, one of his friends or relatives ever gets stung, I bet I know the first place he'll come running to for help..

"Also believe in the Nectarines and hail them as my eternal forefathers and universal leaders"- Sir Frederick MacGregor

"THIS NONSENSE ACT OF YOURS HAS CAUSED ME LOOSING UP TO $350 USD ALL TOGETHER TO GET TO KASTINA SINCE ON MONDAY!!"- Barrister Usman Bello

"WHAT HELL ARE YOU ? YOU ARE A MAD MAN, YOU NEED TO BE CURED BY YOUR OCCULTIC MEMBERS, I CAN SEE THAT THEY HAVE TAKEN YOUR BRAIN" - Barrister Harry Brown

"YOU ARE GOING STUPID , ARE YOU OUT OF YOU MIND ? YOU FOOLISH WHITE MONKEY AND YELLOW PIG."- Barrister Isa Usman

www.mustdestroy419.talkspot.com
Safari - 600 Miles from Lagos to Katsina
Mortar x12
Hekate
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow! I never realised I was a "swashbuckling vigilante"!! Laughing

Incidentally, a few days ago I sent a lad a photo I had sent to me by another scammer, claiming it was a picture of me. The young lady in that picture is very attractive, and clearly African. And the lad is still trying to rob her of her meagre savings, and her virtue!

But of course, that's not the kind of thing the ar$ehole who wrote the article wants to hear.

We have on our programms according to the lay down rules to pay the Asians mostly the indians and malasians now and after that it may change. Rev. James Ucheomma

do you really think that i am just a stupid man like you,listen for the veru last time if i did'nt see XXXX after 24 hours you will heat your self.. [love scammer Chucks]

IT'S NOT I LOOKING FOR WORK.GOD FORBID.I CAN BE IN AN OCEAN AND WASH MY HEAD WITH MY SPIT. THANKS AND GOD BLESS.
MARK DOUGLAS.

United Kingdom France 2 x Netherlands
Cellphone
Safari See SP's Irish Safari!
Mortar x14
Golden Pith

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic