SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Is this a scam?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
super nintendo chalmers
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey guys, I need some help here. I am trying to sell a guitar on Craigslist here in Canada and I got this reply.

Quote:
Dear Seller,

i am interested in buying your item.Please let me know it's condition it's exact price. And also i will organize a home pick up from my desired shipping company In Canada that will come to pick up the item.Most importantly, note that payment would be made via Bank Transfer.And also you are requested to have an account with our Affiliate Bank[ Royal Bank Of Canada Or TD Canada Trust,CIBC] to facilitate quick payment that will be made to you. If you don't have an account with the requested bank, you are advised to open account immediately.If my Terms and Conditions pleases you, kindly revert to me for further proceeds

Well I was a littel leary but those are all pretty reliable banksand a bank transfer I thougth would be pretty safe. So I told him that he can transfer me the money to my account and once that is done and the money is in my account then I will release the item. He then sends me this

Quote:
Presently am away to Scotland on my sabbatical leave to see my wife that newly gave birth to a beautiful bouncing baby girl.You are kindly requested to get the item ready so that i can send my Home Pick-up shipping company to come for the item and make payment promptly.Most importantly, note that payment would be made through Credit-Card Payment Transfer for following reasons:- I do not have a pay pal account and am not interested in having one too.
- Due to My busy schedules, I won't have the time to locate any Poster or courier Service in this region that can enable me make payment to you via Cheque.
- This is a small Island, Hence there is no Western Union or Money Gram Money transfer service to enable me send money to you most convenient and easy way for me to pay for the item is via means through Credit-Card Payment Transfer because of the availability of Internet facility there and access to online banking.
Kindly note that you will be requested to remit payment for my Home Pick-Up Shipping Company via western Union; hence I would be making payments for both the item and shipment.
I shall be willing to offer you an additional $150 [One Hundred&Fifty Dollars] if you can help me pay my home pick-up company on confirmation of both payments in your credit card .
You are kindly requested to provide the under listed details. On receipt of the requested details, the Credit Card payment transfer shall be transferred to your card promptly.
BANK'S NAME:

BANK ADDRESS:

ACCOUNT HOLDER'S NAME:

CREDIT CARD NUMBER (16 DIGITS) not Debit Card):

CREDIT LIMIT:

PHONE NUMBER:

CELL PHONE NUMBER:
We wait on your prompt response so that the payment shall be made timely to you

Thanks for your co-operation.

Scam?

PRS Girly Girl
Will Post for Food

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No doubt at all. It is a scam. Tell him you have already sold the guitar and discontinue any further contact.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein

Mortar x3
Pith Helmet Banjul, The Gambia to Dakar, Senegal and back. 0usman C4mar4

Last edited by PRS Girly Girl on Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes is the short answer.

I'm no expert on these shopping transaction scams, but the alarm bells went off from line one of your email.

I think it'll end up as an overpayment scam, the funds will appear to clear, and he may even change his mind and send you a cheque. Either way, he'll ask you to refund him the difference.

You're experienced enough to know this I'm sure, but I just thought I'd back up what you were probably already thinking.

EDIT: Just read this bit:

Quote:
- This is a small Island, Hence there is no Western Union or Money Gram Money transfer service to enable me send money to you most convenient and easy way for me to pay for the item is via means through Credit-Card Payment Transfer because of the availability of Internet facility there and access to online banking.
Kindly note that you will be requested to remit payment for my Home Pick-Up Shipping Company via western Union; hence I would be making payments for both the item and shipment.

So does he have access to WU or not?

Yep that confirms it for me, overpayment scam.

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"They made me to understand you are a Fraud Star" - Ikenna.
"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
"I will have you now I am highly reputable businness magnet." - Pam Doh
"Sorry,i do not know you are all that: a destitute and nuts" - Ben Chris
BadKarma
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So... the dude is paying money to you and he needs your credit card number, credit limit etc...
And this doesn't stink a bit?

Safari George Annan (Accra - Benin City)
Safari Dan (Accra - Lagos)

"HIS A BIG FRAUD. THE MESSAGE HE SENT TO ME IS A NIGERIA EANGLISH , I TRUST YOU SO MUCH AND I CAN GIVE YOU MY COMPANY PASSWORD TO CHECK THE MAIL HE SENT TO US."
"Just a thought. Maybe, you can get a well paid Mod job here." -Toomuchfun

Postwhores - gotta love 'em.
super nintendo chalmers
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

yeah I figured its a scam but I was just double checking.

I knidly told him that paypal is free to use and takes 10 min to sign up for and thats all I can do for him. Hopefully he leaves me alone.

Hey PRSgirl maybe you want to buy the guitar? Very Happy

super nintendo chalmers
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmmm now he wants to know what bank I bank at so he can do a bank transfer.

Would you trust a bank transfer? I mean he HAS to have the money in his account to be able to send it to mine.

I am not really sure about these buying scams...

Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No, he doesn't have to have money to make a transfer, he can flash your account.

A lad can open a bank account, pay in a fake cheque, the balance of which will go straight on to his account, he can then transfer that to your account, you see the funds in your account, except there will be more than you were expecting, you will be told to send the overpayment to his shipper via Western Union, a little while later, your bank finds out the funds sent to you were sent via a fake cheque paid in to his account, which later bounced, leaving you to pay your bank the money back.

Or he could have a phished account of another victim etc

Or, he will send you a spoofed payment receipt from the bank saying your account has been credited blah blah blah

This is a 100% scam, just tell him you have sold it to someone local for cash.

[edit]

Damn, I have had quite a few lagers, edited this quite a few times, am I making any sense Confused

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:25 pm; edited 6 times in total
MikeH
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^ DON'T DON'T DON'T!

The scammer already has your personal address and other details. For god's sake don't give him your bank account # too! You'll wake up and find that a very large check has mysteriously cleared and wiped out your entire account, plus whatever line of credit you might have behind it.

If you're upset with the guy, get yourself an anonymous gmail address, then a mentor here, and then go after him, but please just drop him now without pissing him off in any way.

404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404
PRS Girly Girl
Will Post for Food

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

He is now trying to get you to reveal your banking and account information. Everything about this screams run away - fast and far. Block his e-mail address if you no longer want to deal with him. Break off all communication with the bastard.

@stangconv23. I'm a PRS girl and very faithful. So unless it is a PRS guitar.... Smile

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein

Mortar x3
Pith Helmet Banjul, The Gambia to Dakar, Senegal and back. 0usman C4mar4
super nintendo chalmers
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Please help keep Eater reader-friendly by not requoting the previous post in full. We can all read it above ^^^^

Thanks guys, I figured as much. I was just double checking. I will leave him alone.

Although he would have a tough time getting into my account. My bank is kinda on the small side, and my Mom works there and I know all the employees. SO if he walked into the bank noone would believe him. If he tried calling in he would need my personal password for phone banking. But still I will tell him its sold!

Thanks everyone!

To PRS girl its a left handed double neck.

Link removed, just in case trolls want to mail you or flag your add etc, PM the link to PRS - SP

GeorgeBush
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Something seems wrong...

Easter Egg 2013
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Scam Patroller nailed it. I suspect that he is planning a bank transfer from a phished account rather than flashing, but the payment will be for more than the cost of the guitar, with a request to send the overage to either him (oops, I sent too much or a client in your country who owes me money blah blah blah), the "shipper", or someone else.

Nicely spotted, stangconv23 Very Happy

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Stan,

This is how I got into baiting. I used to sell guitars and amps on Harmony Central all of the time. I constantly got emails from these guys wanting to buy my instrument with check or money order.

Aside from the flaming evidence that this is a scam, why don't you ask the 'buyer' questions about why he wants to by the item. Never mention the item's name, as he won't know it. I used to try to get them to describe why they needed the particular item and just asked very specific questions about it. It was hilarious to watch them try to come up with answers for a product about which they know nothing. 9/10 times, they didn't have a clue what the product was. Typically someone spending $1500 on an amp will know the product.

Good luck on selling the guitar!

Omar Safari Edo-Abeche T.W.A.T
Adamu Safari Lagos-Abeche
Emi Safari- S Africa-Egypt-Sudan 10k miles
Chris Safari Jolly Roger Dakar-Niger-BF-Cameroon-Lagos-Mali-Nairobi 9.6k miles

Kevin Pith Helmet 10 Safari Accra- BF x2, Togo x2, Kumasi x3, Bolgatanga, Benin City, Tamale x2 Suitcase 5k miles Tattoo x 6
Kenny Safari Safari Safari 3k miles- dont f*ck me up about the payment plz. i have a policy about that. I JUST GOT A SMALL GOAT TODAY AND ITS IN MY HOUSE NOW. i lobve the goat.
Goat
Ben Safari Safari Safari 2.5k miles

Misc Pith Helmet 20 Pith Helmet 5 Pith Helmet 5 Safari Safari Germany-Holland, Atlanta, Beijing-ChangZhou, London-Glasgow, TIMBUKTU x 2
MrSpock1993
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is most definitely a scam. Drop him quickly!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic