SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

6 arrested in Saitama Pref. over laundering 700 mil. yen

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
miyu
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe not the right forum so please don't flame me. But this represents some hard work on the part of several people (including yours truly) and darn if it just doesn't make my day.

The Yomiuri Shimbun

Police on Sunday arrested five Japanese and a Nigerian on suspicion of illegally opening bank accounts that are suspected to have been used by organized crime syndicates in Canada and the United States to launder at least 700 million yen that was deposited with financial institutions in Saitama Prefecture.

The Saitama prefectural police intends to establish a case against the six on suspicion of violating the Anti-organized Crime Law.

It is unusual to find money launderers using Japan as a conduit for their activities.

With billions of yen believed to have been laundered in the prefecture, police and the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation will join forces to shed light on the crime.

Five of those arrested are Japanese, including a driver, 31, of Tokorozawa, Saitama Prefecture, and the other is a 46-year-old Nigerian from Warabi, Saitama Prefecture, who runs a restaurant.

Using false names, the group allegedly opened accounts at branches of a city bank and credit unions in Tokorozawa and Hanno, Saitama Prefecture, and obtained passbooks.

According to police, since summer 2005, the five Japanese have opened more than 30 accounts, to which sums of money from the United States and Canada amounting to between 1 million yen and 10 million yen were deposited on more than 100 occasions every month.

They gave the Nigerian a total of about 700 million yen and received about 300,000 yen each as payment every month, according to police.

Through a Nigerian friend in Tokyo, the Nigerian suspect sent money from other banks to the United States, Canada and China, police said.

After jointly investigating with the FBI the origin of the money flowing through the accounts to other countries, police confirmed that about 23 million yen--profits from selling fake stocks and bonds in the United States--had been channeled back to the United States.

About 700 million yen, excluding payments to the five Japanese and the Nigerian, is believed to have been channeled to foreign countries.

Police suspect that most of the money was swindled or stolen in Canada and the United States.

As police believe the suspects have opened other accounts for money laundering, they are investigating the flow of money channeled by the suspects.
(Sep. 3, 2007)

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/20070903TDY01001.htm

[08:08] pastor_jerry45: b4 u try anything on me....i will destroy, i will make ur life impossible (Yim "romance" scammer)

PA writes: I wouldn't mind if you locate the House in Tokyo or Osaka, as long as it is good and very close to where you stay, so that we can always keep in close touch with eash other. (Oh, warm and fuzzy feeling).
Inspector Gadget
Angel of unrealistic meetings

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If I've put the decimal point in the right place
700 million Yen is just over $6 million
or about �3.1 million pounds.
4.4 million Euros.

And that is just what the authorities know about, well done to all involved

I think its worth a

Pith Helmet Halil, Cotonou to Accra
Pith Helmet + Sand Timer Precious 10/08/11
Cellphone x8 Nigeria Spain Mortar x34 Closed lad accounts x 73 Goat
grown up man like him, still doing all this shit games - Stanley, (he doesn't like Parcel Direct)
You again do the strange reflections stuffed with drugs? - Natalia
Sand Timer x3 Hector 24/1/13 Sand Timer Moses 15th Oct 2011
Pretty Rose Sand Timer x 2Mick Ole 11th Sept 2014-16 Sand Timer Asare Akuffo start 4th Aug 2014
miyu
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

yes slowfreddie it sounds like the decimal is in the right place. But we think there's at least one other Nigerian involved and some other foreigners too, maybe. But it's a start.

[08:08] pastor_jerry45: b4 u try anything on me....i will destroy, i will make ur life impossible (Yim "romance" scammer)

PA writes: I wouldn't mind if you locate the House in Tokyo or Osaka, as long as it is good and very close to where you stay, so that we can always keep in close touch with eash other. (Oh, warm and fuzzy feeling).
Old Coaster
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Excellent News!

United Kingdom Nigeria United Kingdom Spain
Zen
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well done to all concerned, and claim that shield in your signature Miyu!

Warned you're writing to a scammer? Just say "Thanks, I'm a baiter" (ScamWarners.com)
419eater FAQ/rules: http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846
"Tell me what you want to do
And I can make it up for you
And lie" Ticket to Lie, by Texas
miyu
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Zen, I would if I knew how to do that.

And more from Asahi Shinbun news:

5 Japanese, Nigerian arrested in suspected money-laundering ring

09/03/2007
THE ASAHI SHIMBUN

SAITAMA--Police have arrested six people, including a Nigerian suspected of being the ringleader of a money-laundering scheme here involving hundreds of millions of yen swindled in the United States, sources said.

Felix Steve Asabor, 40, Keiichi Isono, 32, and four other Japanese were arrested Sunday over a bank account that was opened in Tokorozawa, Saitama Prefecture, for suspected money-laundering purposes, according to police.

The suspects also gained a bank card and bank book for the account.

According to investigators at international investigation division of the Saitama prefectural police, millions of yen were deposited in the account from the United States.

Asabor, from Nigeria, who lives in Warabi in the prefecture, instructed the others to make withdrawals at convenience stores and hand the cash to the Nigerian.

Police said they are studying the transfers involving the bank account to uncover the entire scheme.

They already suspect that dozens of similar accounts had been set up, each containing hundreds of thousands of yen to tens of million yen in deposits.

With the cooperation of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Saitama police confirmed that the amount of money defrauded in the United States is estimated to be hundreds of millions of yen (millions of dollars).

Bank records of the accounts show that part of the money from the United States ended up in the group's bank accounts in Japan.

Saitama police had earlier sent investigators to the United States as part of the investigation.

Police also plan to investigate the group over violations of the law against organized crime.

(IHT/Asahi: September 3,2007)

http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-...709030149.html

Eliza_Doolittle
"Warned for lad hugging"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Awesome!

vLad's ebay auction states "Wonderful seller! Thinks "out of the box" to get item to you."
<br>
starstar Ghana Easter Egg 2013

Vcamera <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrsRobinson419"> Click to see the videos Ed sent me.</a><br>
<A href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/index.html"> Eliza's lad quotes, photos, and audio files</a>
Mortar x12
*this sig icon has been censored* <br><a href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/809104_ML.pdf" > click here</a> for a Bank Account Transfer Form.
Golden Pith
wokabo
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^@miyu: just add
Code:
:badge:
in your siggy, or wait for a kind mod (if any) to do it for you.

btw, Congrats on the catch!

Fight My Brute
benjaminbunny
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well done, Miyu Very Happy

Scamwarners.com Advice and info about scams
Jolly Roger pony
Pachanga
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Awesome news! Very Happy

Closed lad accounts

Click here to support 419Eater.com
JoeTam
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I hope they enjoy prison, and sharing the showers. Don't drop the soap "assabore". Excellent catch! Here's to many years of torture, lock down, and garbage food.

I went to bank. they call police, why you do this to me? I canntsend you anything now.
Goat dog
A Skinner
Texas Lad-Saw Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Great work, Miyu! Congratulations!

Exclamation Exclamation

SINCE YOU MADE ME TO GIVE MY CAR AWAY AND ALL THE DISAPOINTMENTS YOU GAVE TO ME,WHICH MADE ME TO STOP CONTACTING YOU. PLEASE DO NOT INVOLVE ME WITH ANYTHING YOU ARE DOING WITH ANYBODY, PLEASE DONT INVOLVE ME.I DONT WANT ANYTHING THAT WILL JEOPARDIZE MY IMAGE IN THIS COUNTRY.I AM A HUMANITARIAN LAWYER.

infact am getting tired with all this speculation in this transaction, honestly if i had known that this is the kind of person you are i would not have contacted for an assistance

Urgent??? Impotent massage

* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy Way to go Miyu.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
Emit Scarab
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That's pretty good, nay, awesome going....Now, if you got a percentage of that as a reward...
However, given the amount of money we're talking about, I certainly wouldn't be telling everyone I met about this. Best kept under your hat, sir/madam!
miyu
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, Emit, I shall.

This is still hitting the NHK radio news, just heard it again at 13:00. Also some updated information from Kyodo news agency. This is turning into possibly a big story in Japan. I'm still interested to know who the other 3 Japanese are.

CORRECTED: LEAD: Nigerian, 5 Japanese arrested for money laundering

(Kyodo) _ A Nigerian man living in Saitama Prefecture and five Japanese cohorts have been arrested for their alleged involvement in a money laundering scheme on behalf of U.S. crime syndicates, police said Monday.

Asabor Felix Steve, 40, is suspected of having requested Keiichi Isono, 32, and other suspects to open accounts at financial institutions in Tokorozawa, Saitama, and other places in order to launder money which the syndicates obtained through fraudulent means, according to the investigation.

The suspects include Asabor's wife Rieko, 42, the police said.

The police have confirmed the existence of at least 40 accounts, in which a total of 700 million yen realized from the criminal activities is believed to have been remitted from overseas, they said.

Isono and others withdrew cash from the accounts and handed it over to Asabor as compensation, which Asabor subsequently transferred, via another Nigerian man, to the United States, China and Canada on behalf of the syndicates, the police said.

While Asabor has denied the allegations, the five other suspects have admitted to them, the police added.

While the U.S. syndicates are suspected of having obtained the money by coming up with underhand investment schemes, the Japanese police are now investigating further into the particulars of the shady transactions, they added.

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/070903/kyodo/d8rdn8eo1.html

Quote:
the five other suspects have admitted to them

Pretty much how it works here. I wondered if Asabor would stonewall or start crying like a baby. I figured the Japanese would all start singing like canaries. They usually do when confronted with overwhelming evidence of wrongdoing. It makes criminal prosecution much easier, although I don't teach criminal law or deal with it very much.

And here he is Felix Steve Asabor:

and you can watch the video news (sorry it's Japanese) from NHK here:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/2007/09/04/d20070904000071.html

Doctor X
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

--J.D.

miyu
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello.

sorry mods, don't flame me for bring up an old thread. However, there was a small ddos problem before the rest of the story got posted so here it is. also, you might want to merge this thread http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=124326 in with this because it's all the same story.

OK. to begin with, there were 6 arrested. They were never completely named in the English language press but they were name in the Japanese press so here they are. Oops well, I'll have to look for them.

About 10 days later, 4 more were arrested, including Christopher Ariri Noguchi, 39, who obtained Japanese citizenship after leaving Nigeria and Manabu Fukuda, 38, an executive of a group affiliated with the Sumiyoshi-kai (yakuza) and the two other men (probably yakuza wannabees).

In addition, during the first arrests, Ariri, who appears to have run a travel agency, helped a third Nigerian man get on a plane, about Sept 6, headed for Singapore. He is now on the Interpol wanted list. That's generally referred to as "aiding and abetting". They haven't hung that on Ariri yet.

Then, about the first of October, 3 more were arrested Chiba prefecture for money laundering. All 3 are Japanese and include Issei Iwasaki (age 22), an un-named office worker (male, age eighteen) and an unemployed male (age 19). The last 2 are not named because they are under legal age in Japan (which is 20).

So the total score is 2 Nigerians and 11 Japanese arrested for money laundering (to date), and another Nigerian on an international wanted list.

Now the story which veruca41 posted. The police have now decided to charge 2 of the first suspects arrested, Asabor and Keiichi Isono under the organized Crime Law.

speculation: It usually happens that police will charge a suspect with a lesser offense and then try to build up a case to hang a longer sentence on them which is probably what they are doing here. They may also be charged with money laundering.

Back to fact: In December last year, the Parliament here (the Diet) passed some amendments to the Anti Money Laundering Law to increase the penalties for crimes thereunder.

More sepculation: These 2 might be the first test case under those amendments.

SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice going, miyu! Very Happy I think I missed this one in Sept. You deserve 13 badges for those bad guys!! I never mind a bump to hear more bad news for bad guys. I don't speak for the mods, however.

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Miyu:

Good job!

Out of curiosity, what kind of jail time are they looking at for something like this in Japan?

Here in the US we always say things like not to drop the soap as you might get ahhhh..... "friendly" with another inmate, but that is really a rare thing in federal prison where these kinds would go in the US. What would the prison conditions be like for them?

I work in the legal arena here in the US so I am curious as to how things work in other legal systems.

YOU ARE A CHILD OF SATAN WITH YOUR HUNGRY DIRTY BODY ,TUNDER FIRE YOU BIG HEAD IDIOT !!! HA HA HA HA HA

IS THIS HOW YOU DECIDED TO TREAT US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUGH?YOU MADE US TRAVELLED TO ABUJA AND INDEBTED US.

"Cursed is your mother that gave birth to a family-disgrace like you. Cursed is your father he could not control his lust for anything under skate"

"hey u crakhead motherf*cking nitwit, from the way u express the cockamamy sh*t that ur dumb brain is made up of it's so obvious that u never really made it past elementary school but anywayz dogs don't have to go to school afterall."

Pith Helmet (Lagos to Abuja)
Netherlands China Canada x2 United Kingdom Spain Ivory Coast Germany

Hello Kitty! <---in lieu of a brownie. TS
Mortar x8
Zen
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

miyu wrote:
the total score is 2 Nigerians and 11 Japanese arrested for money laundering (to date), and another Nigerian on an international wanted list.

Once again, congratulations to all concerned. And let's remember those 11 Japanese whenever there are accusations of racism against the anti-419 movement.

Warned you're writing to a scammer? Just say "Thanks, I'm a baiter" (ScamWarners.com)
419eater FAQ/rules: http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846
"Tell me what you want to do
And I can make it up for you
And lie" Ticket to Lie, by Texas
miyu
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

AmenZen. These 11 Japanese sold themselves to scammers for a little cash, excep t for the yakuza.

The Man said
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what kind of jail time are they looking at for something like this in Japan?

I've been talking to some of my collegaues and there really aren't sentencing guidelines such as in the US. The new charges seem to indicate the police want to put them away for an even longer time. If I get time to go read through the criminal code sometime maybe I can figure it out. Offhand I would guess a minimum of 10 years, but it's still up in the air. The police may keep hanging bigger (in terms of sentencing) things around their necks in an effort to get maybe 25 years or something like that.

Did I mention the conviction rate here is like 99%?

thomas-the-tank
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

bow_down

You were involved in that one? Well done!!! I saw that in the news here and never thought an eater was involved. I don't know anyone else baiting here in Japan (I'm sure there are others). Mind you, I could hardly believe the police here would get off their backsides and do something about it (the average Japanese police force investigative powers make Clouseau look like Sherlock Holmes)

Unfortunately Japanese people tend to be very trusting - my wife's ex-boss went once to Hawai'i and once to Nigeria on 419 trips. He came back from Nigeria with the clothes he stood up in and nothing else (he was lucky).

"I have come to learn the world is pregnant."
"Besides i am on a GLOBAL ASSIGNMENT WITH THE UN, so be reasonable and leave insults"
"suck your blood untill you resemble stockfish"

United Kingdom x 3 x 2 Ivory Coast Australia x 2 Benin
Safari Wole A x 4!! :
pony pony pony pony Goat <= don't ask about the goat! Inventor
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Miyu:

That is awesome! Even 10 years would be great. If you have a good prosecutor the conviction rate should be 99% Smile

Congrats again for your fine work!

YOU ARE A CHILD OF SATAN WITH YOUR HUNGRY DIRTY BODY ,TUNDER FIRE YOU BIG HEAD IDIOT !!! HA HA HA HA HA

IS THIS HOW YOU DECIDED TO TREAT US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUGH?YOU MADE US TRAVELLED TO ABUJA AND INDEBTED US.

"Cursed is your mother that gave birth to a family-disgrace like you. Cursed is your father he could not control his lust for anything under skate"

"hey u crakhead motherf*cking nitwit, from the way u express the cockamamy sh*t that ur dumb brain is made up of it's so obvious that u never really made it past elementary school but anywayz dogs don't have to go to school afterall."

Pith Helmet (Lagos to Abuja)
Netherlands China Canada x2 United Kingdom Spain Ivory Coast Germany

Hello Kitty! <---in lieu of a brownie. TS
Mortar x8
miyu
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Some nice videos of life in Japanese prisons and some statistics. The videos are in Japanese but you don't have to speak the language to tell it can't be fun.

http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=2245

miyu
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Japan bar association has been on this problem for years and we don't seem to make much progress. A few of our police tend to be a little agressive. Gee, I hope those money launderers didn't have any problems....NOT! Very Happy

01/25/2008

BY ICHIRO NODA, THE ASAHI SHIMBUN

The National Police Agency, admitting that harsh tactics and excessive reliance on confessions led to false charges in two high-profile cases, released a set of interrogation guidelines Thursday intended to prevent a recurrence.

But victims in the two cases--a man falsely convicted of rape in Toyama Prefecture and individuals wrongly charged with election law violations in Kagoshima Prefecture--questioned the effectiveness of the new guidelines.

That is because other police officers will be in charge of watching over the interrogation procedures of their colleagues, they said.

The NPA did admit that long hours of oppressive interrogations and an excessive dependence on "confessions" were factors in the mistaken charges.

The guidelines will require setting up one-way mirrors in each of the nation's more than 10,000 police interrogation rooms so that the questioning process can be viewed.

Lengthy and late-night questioning will be banned in principle, along with the use of violence and of intimidating acts and words.

Questioning between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. and those lasting more than 8 hours a day will require prior approval by top officials.

A section specializing in supervising interrogations will be set up in each prefectural police department to ensure the guidelines are observed.

If regular or surprise inspections uncover inappropriate conduct, the officers in charge of the interrogation will be replaced and subject to guidance or disciplinary measures.

The oversight system for police interrogation, the first of its kind, will be in place nationwide by spring 2009, according to NPA officials.

To create the guidelines, the NPA compiled a report on reviews by the Toyama and Kagoshima prefectural police into the two false accusation cases.

Victims, who were not interviewed, said they were hoping for the "truth" about why they were falsely charged, rather than new guidelines and police pledges to restore trust.

"They just want to show the public that police are seriously tackling the issue," said Hiroshi Yanagihara, 40, who served two years and a month in prison for false rape and attempted rape convictions.

"Is there any significance in police supervision by police?"

Yanagihara was arrested in April 2002 and was convicted in November that year.

He had initially denied the allegations but later "confessed" during an interrogation that he described as "so oppressive."

He was released on parole in January 2005.

Two years later, another man accused of sexual assaults confessed to committing the two crimes that Yanagihara had been falsely convicted of.

Yanagihara was acquitted in a retrial in October. No police officers have been disciplined.

The NPA report said the Toyama prefectural police failed to fully investigate on the basis of evidence, such as footprints, knife types and phone logs.

The agency also said police failed to verify whether Yanagihara's confessions were true. As a result, they failed to confirm his alibi, although phone records showed he was talking with his brother at the time of the crime.

In the Kagoshima case, the NPA report said interrogations were too long and oppressive, and that officers behaved improperly.

Thirteen people were indicted on vote-buying charges after the April 2003 prefectural assembly election. As they denied the allegations, they were detained for 88 to 395 days.

The NPA admitted some of the interrogation sessions went on for 13 hours and 40 minutes (including breaks) a day. Some suspects were questioned over 10 straight days.

Efforts to verify the confessions were insufficient, as well as top officials' supervision, it said.

All of the suspects pleaded innocent at their trial and were acquitted in February 2007. Some officers were disciplined, including one who forced suspects to stomp on relatives' names written on paper.

"I was pressed to confess day by day," said assembly member Shinichi Nakayama, 62, who was suspected as a leader in vote-buying.

He welcomed the guidelines, but said police supervision by police "would be impossible." (IHT/Asahi: January 25,2008)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic