SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Aliens invade my telly!

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a Sony flat screen (but old tech, with a tube)TV, I turned it on today, and everyone had blue skin!

The Sky Guide, usually in blue, was all in green. Anyone understand the strange magic of TV? Is the red gun going? Switching on and off made no difference, it was the same for terrestrial and satellite signals.

Just to be awkward, I just tried it again to take a photo, and its back to normal. From experience, I don't expect it is for long. Of course i didnt take the extended guarantee, do you think I'm stupid?

If it does die, I have an excuse to go out and buy an LCDTV, or as the phonejacker says, a luhcuduh tuvuh, ready for the hudd.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Personally, I never do the extended guarantee. They are there to make money, so why would they offer anything that would help you financially? Besides, if you look at the terms you'll notice a lot of stuff isn't covered. Take a look at bestbuysux.org and you'll see what I mean.

Got my HDLCD tv just after Thanksgiving. STAY AWAY FROM HP! TV wasn't too bad (if you don't count how the screen failed with lots of 2" circles on it, but they replaced it free) but I like universal remotes. The only universal remote that works with them are the $100+ Logitech Harmony series remotes.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Roy check your cables, but I doubt they are the problem. It does sound like your Red has gone out. Check the colors in the menu and see if adjusting red helps. You may have to get a new tv Sad

"I knew rigth from the first time you sent email to me that,you are a bloody *DELETED*" - Sgt Daniel Vess
"I NO BLAME U NA DI DIRTY TOTO WEN BORN U NA IM I BLAME. CATBINGO" - Lee Wong
"I AM EQUAL TO A MENTAL RETARDED PERSON" - Alvan Ben
"You have pushed me to the wall and i will make you smell yourself i bet." - George Martins
"THE FOOL STOLE YOUR US$755, HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO LEAVE ON THE PLANET" - Jim Ovia

pony pony - for a perfect brown nosing job. Wink

pony Mortar x4
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteSkype Name
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm, thats what I think, though its not dead yet. The red gun failing isnt like a dry joint or anything easily fixable. Its not the cables, the sat is on an RBG lead and its just the same as the ones that are fed from the aerial.

I would like a flat LCD telly I can nail to the wall, but on the other hand, the Sony is only a couple of years old. It almost helps if it dies, however theres no way I can eBay a failing TV, if it fails for its new owner, thats my reputation gone in a flicker.

If I can time it right at the tip, maybe I can drop it 30 feet onto concrete, like a Led Zeppelin tour....

he last one I chucked, I was gutted that there was a load of waste there to break its fall. I need to ring first and check they have a hard landing for it. Razz

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I never take out extended warranties. They're rubbish. I've been in electrical shops where the salesperson seems more interested in selling me one than the product I'm after.

If they start that nonsense with me now, I just ask them to sell me a TV, stereo or what ever, that wont break down in less than three years. If they can't do that I tell them I'll find a shop that will. Wink

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
wokabo
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The good thing about those good old CRT TV sets is that you can (could) attempt to fix it by slamming it hard with your fist. Hurts too much on those flat TVs from nowadays.

Fight My Brute
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with OD and windypops, you've done the right thing not going for an extended guarantee. As the old lady says in the Catherine Tait show....
What a bleedin liberty!

Sounds like the red gun has gone.

My approach? Well I'm pretty low tech, I just bought a JVC 26 inch flat screen TV with freeview incorporated. It cost me something like �300, and it's fine for watching the telly on. (I only watch about 2 hours a day so I'm not big into huge LCDs and stuff).

If it blows up next year, or if I smash it.... I buy a new one. No big deal.

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"They made me to understand you are a Fraud Star" - Ikenna.
"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
"I will have you now I am highly reputable businness magnet." - Pam Doh
"Sorry,i do not know you are all that: a destitute and nuts" - Ben Chris
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@wokabo

It's called percussive maintenance.

Extended warranties make the retailer (and the sales assistants commission) more money than actually flogging the tellies. I always ask the sales assistant if their products are so good why should I fork out for the EW?

Even if the product crocks out shortly after the warranty period it should still be fit for the purpose for its expected reasonable lifetime, which in the case of a computer/TV is more than twelve months.

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Current legal thinking on "reasonable period" is 6 years!! I don't think there is legal precedence on this one yet though

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Go EZ on the percussive maintenance. I know it seems that a lift of the front a few inches off the surface and a drop of the tube can cure all but it is dangerous.

I agree with the gun gone bad theory except for one fact. The Trinitron has but one gun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinitron

The cathode is kept very warm with heaters and the leads of the CRT sometimes corrode. It may be there. I can't say its easy to fix a bad connection there because it actually is dangerous for someone that does not know that a CRT can hold a charge that will bite you.

If its the red driver, its safer but harder to work on as real troubleshooting and desoldering skills are required.

The actual problem you are describing is called greenitis. For some reason the red circuit is driven harder than the others. Could be output of phosphors, I do not know. The point is when a CRT fails over a period of long use, its how they die.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ahh...Percussive maintenance. Or 'Murphy's screwdriver' as we call it in our house. Very Happy

wokabo
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ reminds me of a story an uncle of mine told me once:

he saw a blond chick stepping into her car, but the car wouldn't start. She stepped out of the car, took a hammer out of the boot, opened the hood, started slamming the hammer somewhere in there a few times, closed the hood, stepped into the car, started the engine and drove off.

So it's true, there's nothing a good bang can't fix.

Fight My Brute
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^ Blonde eh! She must have been in a Triumph Stag then. Petrol pumps were in the boot, always gave trouble, nothing a little persuasion couldn't fix.

Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's the fix if you are sort of handy with a #2 Phillip's screwdriver(+) and are feeling lucky. Pull the power on the telly. Put it face down on a soft surface. Take the screws holding the back off. On a Sony there are arrows pointing to them. Lift off the back. There may be a mains connection that will have to be pulled off carefully with the back cover. Or not, depends on the model. Don't touch anything. Keep a good looking girl or guy that knows CPR around.

Carefully pry off the connector to the CRT. The one on the end of the neck. Do not touch the anode cap on the side of the tube.

Carefully clean the exposed pins with contact cleaner. Do this one at a time. You may see a green or white corrosion on one or more of the pins. Do the same with the connector. Q-tips or toothbrushes work. Those brushes for between the teeth are great.

Reconnect, aligning the keyway on the connector. Replace the cover and screws. Test. If its still screwed up, donate it to the Goodwill.

Do not take a hammer to the neck at night. Do not watch the gun assembly implode towards the shadow mask and light up.
Do not take a 12 gauge with 00 buck to it. Its really messy.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
guymannemisis
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If it's an LCD then one of your panels has gone. An LCD uses one red, one blue and one green panel. It's not worth the cost of the part (and LCD panels are expensive) or the labor to fix it. Trying to take it apart and figure out what's wrong is fairly dangerous. Just touching an LCD panel will cause it to fail.
Bite the bullet and get a new LCD or plasma.
Stay away from LG brand - cheap and lousy - NEC, Hitachi, Samsung, Sharp, Philips or Panasonic are all good.
Good air circulation around the unit is something people forget about. I see a lot that are put into entertainment units or near a heat vent where the heat builds up along with the dust and simply fail after a short time - usually just after the warranty runs out. Always keep a can of compressed air around and use it to blow off the dust. Buying an extra warranty is ok but check out the small print. The cost of these TV's have come down so much over the last couple of years that most manufacturers aren't willing to support more than a one year warranty as it's not cost effective for them.
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^
Roycropper wrote:
...old tech, with a tube)TV..
RoyCropper has a CRT. LCD's? LG cheap? I wish they were. They have amazing contrast ratios, brightness and resolution levels. I just bought a Samsung LCD today to replace my 5 year old LCD because everyone wants bigger. The equivalent LG was 50% more money. For tellies, the Olivia* brand kicks butt for cost effectiveness.

Cheers Cool

*According to Consumer Reports.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic