SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Computer question - What does this mean?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Eliza_Doolittle
"Warned for lad hugging"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My computer froze and then when I restarted it, it said:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS. The volume is dirty
CHKDSK is verifying files

vLad's ebay auction states "Wonderful seller! Thinks "out of the box" to get item to you."
<br>
starstar Ghana Easter Egg 2013

Vcamera <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrsRobinson419"> Click to see the videos Ed sent me.</a><br>
<A href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/index.html"> Eliza's lad quotes, photos, and audio files</a>
Mortar x12
*this sig icon has been censored* <br><a href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/809104_ML.pdf" > click here</a> for a Bank Account Transfer Form.
Golden Pith
ratter
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's an automatic startup routine that detected a problem in the disk. From Microsoft:
Quote:
If a volume's dirty bit is set, this indicates that the file system may be in an inconsistent state. The dirty bit can be set because the volume is online and has outstanding changes, because changes were made to the volume and the computer shutdown before the changes were committed to disk, or because corruption was detected on the volume. If the dirty bit is set when the computer restarts, chkdsk runs to verify the consistency of the volume.

Every time Windows XP starts, Autochk.exe is called by the Kernel to scan all volumes to check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume.

Usually the problems are minor and fixable by chkdsk. Can happen if your computer shut down via a power cut and not your going through the shutdown routine. If it comes back and boots normally, it's no big deal.

Not necessarily limited to XP, by the way.

Edit: Any idea why it froze? Doing anything unusual at the time?

United KingdomUnited StatesNigeriaSpainSwitzerlandBeninNetherlandsCanadaGhanaItalyIrelandMalaysiaUnited Nations = 56

Goat

PayPal Modality
Eliza_Doolittle
"Warned for lad hugging"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well I had turned on skype - for some reason my computer does NOT like skype. I can't keep it on.

vLad's ebay auction states "Wonderful seller! Thinks "out of the box" to get item to you."
<br>

Vcamera <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrsRobinson419"> Click to see the videos Ed sent me.</a><br>
<A href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/index.html"> Eliza's lad quotes, photos, and audio files</a>
Mortar x12
*this sig icon has been censored* <br><a href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/809104_ML.pdf" > click here</a> for a Bank Account Transfer Form.
Golden Pith
ratter
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd recommend uninstalling Skype (Start--->Control Panel--->Add/Remove programs, scroll down to Skype and click on Uninstall), reboot your computer, reinstall it, and reboot again.

I think Skype allows you to export your contact list to a file, that'd be a good idea before you remove it...

It's a PITA to reboot between steps but even if the program doesn't tell you to (some do, some don't), it seems to help keep things sorted.

If that doesn't fix it, you've just exhausted my knowledge of the subject. Wink

United KingdomUnited StatesNigeriaSpainSwitzerlandBeninNetherlandsCanadaGhanaItalyIrelandMalaysiaUnited Nations = 56

Goat

PayPal Modality
A Skinner
Texas Lad-Saw Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd second what Ratter said.
CHKDSK is like the old Scandisk in Windows 98. Checks for errors.

SINCE YOU MADE ME TO GIVE MY CAR AWAY AND ALL THE DISAPOINTMENTS YOU GAVE TO ME,WHICH MADE ME TO STOP CONTACTING YOU. PLEASE DO NOT INVOLVE ME WITH ANYTHING YOU ARE DOING WITH ANYBODY, PLEASE DONT INVOLVE ME.I DONT WANT ANYTHING THAT WILL JEOPARDIZE MY IMAGE IN THIS COUNTRY.I AM A HUMANITARIAN LAWYER.

infact am getting tired with all this speculation in this transaction, honestly if i had known that this is the kind of person you are i would not have contacted for an assistance

Urgent??? Impotent massage

* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
Stoker Thompson
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

try running chkdsk yourself with a repair option.

Click Start, select Run

In the box, type: chkdsk c: /f /r

This will run chkdsk with the repair and recover flags set.
Bankster
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Well I had turned on skype - for some reason my computer does NOT like skype. I can't keep it on.

As ratter said - always remember the holy trinity of Windows R's: Retry, Reboot, Reinstall.
No, really. This works surprisingly often. Smile

As for Skype, what happens when you say your computer doesn't like it? Does it simply not work? Does it crash? Or was it Skype who froze the computer as you described above?

Elite Ninja Team Member Easter Egg 2012 Goat Golden Goat Purple Flower Penguin
(United States United Kingdom Benin China Nigeria) x10 __ x?
Eliza_Doolittle
"Warned for lad hugging"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The thing is - each time I use skype - my internet stops working and then I have to play with it to get it to work again - and then skype stays on for a minute - the firefox windows freeze - won't go anywhere - I turn skype off - my internet usually connects again and things go well. But this one time it just crashed - everythign froze - and I had to shut it down (hit the power button) and then turn it back on.

<br>

Mortar x12
Golden Pith
Stoker Thompson
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Eliza,

What are you using for a firewall or internet security? sounds like a conflict.
Bankster
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
sounds like a conflict.

Yes it does.

Elite Ninja Team Member Easter Egg 2012 Goat Golden Goat Purple Flower Penguin
(United States United Kingdom Benin China Nigeria) x10 __ x?
A Skinner
Texas Lad-Saw Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It sort of sounds like your having a conflict with the ports in that Skype and Firefox are trying to use the same one.
I�m using Firefox 2.0.0.6. Your settings are probably going to be similar to mine.
In Firefox, go to Tools > Options > Settings (Configure How Firefox Connects to the Internet) > Connection Settings. My system has the box ticked that says �Direct Connection to Internet� . But, my computer at work wouldn�t work that way. I had to tick the box that says Auto Detect Proxy Settings for this Network.

That�s not all. If the above doesn�t work there are options in Skype. Go to Tools>Options>Connections. In the top box I have Use Port 19717 for Incoming Connections. I had to reset it to this port. I also have ticked �Use Port 80 and 443 as connections for incoming Connections. The other settings shouldn�t matter.

I�ll bet one of these solutions will work. At least it won�t hurt. You can always change them back.

SINCE YOU MADE ME TO GIVE MY CAR AWAY AND ALL THE DISAPOINTMENTS YOU GAVE TO ME,WHICH MADE ME TO STOP CONTACTING YOU. PLEASE DO NOT INVOLVE ME WITH ANYTHING YOU ARE DOING WITH ANYBODY, PLEASE DONT INVOLVE ME.I DONT WANT ANYTHING THAT WILL JEOPARDIZE MY IMAGE IN THIS COUNTRY.I AM A HUMANITARIAN LAWYER.

infact am getting tired with all this speculation in this transaction, honestly if i had known that this is the kind of person you are i would not have contacted for an assistance

Urgent??? Impotent massage

* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic