SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

HD technical help and Linux, sorry split topic

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

For all the distros I have heard about, I believe the answer is yes; you can install off the live CD. Certainly you can with Ubuntu and Knoppix. Mandriva has a separate install CD set, but that may just mean that you get more applications with it.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
Bankster
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
If I have a live cd to boot from, can I also install it to the drive or is there another install version of it

There should be an "Install to HD" icon on the desktop when you boot from the CD.

[Edit: been beaten to it)

Elite Ninja Team Member Easter Egg 2012 Goat Golden Goat Purple Flower Penguin
(United States United Kingdom Benin China Nigeria) x10 __ x?
Dark Spirit
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Great and thanks again, I will begin the install tomorrow Wink wish me luck and I will hopefully have no probs either Very Happy

God himself wii judge you for trying to delay and make someones life a waste, Mother felicia, April 30th 2007
Thanks very much for fooling me ok and i dont have any other thing to say, Helimina Bright, May 1st 2007
Pleasantly, that we have understanding and continue intercourse, Elena USSR vlad, May 1st 2007
"read the stickies and the faqs." Newbie forum
pony
Tricia
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Remember to check out LinuxQuestions for hints and tips. Most of the time you can find a solution to your problem just by searching that forum.

DrWho wrote:
While in windoz you will not be able to read or access the linux partition.

Huh? I use XP for gaming, and I have full read/write access to the ext3 partitions. Check out Ext2 Installable File System For Windows. (Before you ask - yes, it works for ext3, too.)

music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Dark Spirit

Can i recommend the following website as an excellent resource for installing a dual boot system.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/

Its a personal matter but i happen to htink that a linux beginner really needs a good support forum. www.ubuntuforums.org is the best OS forum bar none!!
The other suggestion I would make is to ensure that you put /home on a separate partition. That way you can change distro's, upgrade your existing distro etc without losing any data and without having to update your bookmarks etc after a reinstall etc

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
Dark Spirit
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for all the help you have given me and now I must step up to the task of getting the install of linux up and running as a duel boot system.
To be honest I do like the way linux runs so far and if it really is more stable than windows then I must convert, as I am really fed up with the instability of windows SmileSmile

Thanks again to all

God himself wii judge you for trying to delay and make someones life a waste, Mother felicia, April 30th 2007
Thanks very much for fooling me ok and i dont have any other thing to say, Helimina Bright, May 1st 2007
Pleasantly, that we have understanding and continue intercourse, Elena USSR vlad, May 1st 2007
pony
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
if it really is more stable than windows
Not a problem. Not even a contest.
A loose quote I read was: "You have to work at Linux to break it, You only have to work on windows to break it."

Let us know how it goes.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
Dark Spirit
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing Laughing Laughing
I liked the loose quote, excellent

I will keep u all posted on my progress Shocked

pony
Dark Spirit
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok so here is the update,,

I tried Ubuntu, Knoppix and I have also got a Mandriva dvd and so far ? I like everything I have seen BUT still the question of how to get my son's games to run in Linux Question Question as I said before he plays Quake 3, Unreal 2004 and the like, so can I get these to run in linux? or should I keep a duel boot system for this problem???
I don't really want a duel boot system as the though of having to reboot between my work and his games is not something I really want to do.

EDIT: I know now that windows = problems and linux = headache Laughing

pony
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm glad that you're enjoying yourself DS. If you're running Mandriva, I can recommend the Mandriva_Newbies mailing list; they're a great set of people and really friendly.

Games are the one thing that Linux does not do well. The effort in producing a game these days is comparable to producing a movie; so the open source ones are fairly crap. Several companies do have Linux ports of their games, but not enough to make any difference. There just isn't the market for it yet, and Linux machines tend to be all different, so it isn't easy to do. Of course Microsoft keep moving the goalposts as much as they can, because they know it's an important advantage.

Get him a Playstation 3 - that's what I use for gaming. Well actually I use a PS2, but that isn't going to get your son off your back Smile

Try Wine. It's angled towards gaming, and their website has detailed info on which games work and how to get them working. I haven't tried too hard myself, but it is supposed to be quite good. It is likely that the version that comes with your Linux distro is quite old, so you may end up uninstalling that and building Wine from source. Quite easy to do, but uncustomary for Windows people.

If your machine is a real beauty, then you could run Windows in a virtual machine under Linux. But that would require that you committed enough resources to it to satisfy the game, and they are the most resource-hungry applications that you can run.

But if your son likes to be at the bleeding edge of games, then there's probably nothing for it except dual booting.

Edit:

Then I checked back and realised which games you'd mentioned. ID Software was just about the first to offer Linux ports.

Your solution for Quake III: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Quake-HOWTO.html
Ureal 2004 seems to have a Linux installer already on the CD set. See http://www.linuxelectrons.com/features/reviews/playing-unreal-tournament-2004-linux

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
Dark Spirit
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks thud419, I owe you big time Wink the links are great and as for the playstation, I did suggest this to my son but he wants to stay on the PC,, coz then he is like daddy, always using a PC, yes he is a little smart ass and only 6 years old Laughing

I appreciate that to learn all the bits in linux will take me some time but I will succeed, like I said before, I like everything I have seen in linux so far and I know it can only get better. I hardly ever play games so for me the duel boot is not a big issue, but if I kill my sons games, he will kill me Shocked Shocked

Thanks again, Wink Wink

pony
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The problem is that (as I understand it) most windoz games rely on activex APIs. This locks games into the M$ environment. To run them in linux, you need those APIs. They have to be reverse engineered for obvious reasons. Try Winex also. It is directly aimed at the graphics dlls needed. I think you have to buy it, about $25 IIRC.

But what is wrong with dual (not duel Smile ) boot? It takes may be 5 minutes. You could try running windoz in a virtual environment so you don't have to reboot.

(6 years old and playing first person shooters? I know, none of my business.)

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
Dark Spirit
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing Laughing Laughing oops duel boot Embarassed Embarassed

Thanks for the info Dr who and embarassing me to with my iffy spelling Wink

I think I am going to have to go with a dual boot and take it from there Shocked Shocked

Here is a loose quote of mine Wink windowz gives you problems, Linux gives you a headache Confused Confused

OK OK I will go with the dual boot,, wish me luck.

PS my 6 year old son just loves Kicking Ass, I know, I know, only 6 but, he does know the difference between games and real life Wink Wink
I hope Shocked

pony
Stoker Thompson
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@DS Try this: Leave your case open and when the machine is first posting try tapping the side of the hard drive. Not gently either. Really. I had to do this for a Real Estate company that was to stupid to get a new Hard Drive. The reason it works is because a hard drive has a stylus arm just like an old 33 record. If that arm gets stuck in the park position, or on the platter, whacking it can jar it lose. However this should be considered a last resort.

I started my son off at 4 with a dual boot edubuntu & W2K laptop. The edubuntu was for the gcompris suite of games. Check them out at http://gcompris.net/ My son really enjoyed them until he saw Age of Empires. Now he plays AOE all of the time and has a rather unique view of history.

For running windows games take a look at http://www.transgaming.com/products/cedega/ Cedega is based on WINE but tweaked for games.

You can check out linux games at http://games.linux.sk/ and http://www.linuxgames.com/

I always found it better to pick up old laptops for linux. Most of the Linux distro's will run great on a laptop that's a couple of generations out of date. Right now I am working on an old HP ze4600 running Ubuntu. While I like Ubuntu you will need to go through a few extra steps to get the multimedia working on it.

For the most windows like Linux take a look at Xandros. Easy transition and great forum. I've purchased and used quite a few versions of their software and am running their server version currently on a project.

Quote:
(6 years old and playing first person shooters? I know, none of my business.)
I was a little unnerved at first to hear that my son's plan for the day was to "kill all of the Yellow guys and take all of their gold." however he seems to tell fact from fiction well too.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic