SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Ebay Scam ..

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
CameraBoy
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So , I've always been interested in scams and done some trading on ebay and seen a few. I spent alot of time traveling and a few people have tried to scam me in real life (and all failed I hasten to add). Yet this one totally took me in (I didn't part with any money but I have to admit I was taken in).

Some cameras were offered for sale on ebay two of exactly the same model. The listing was terrible, but you could explain that by the fact that this was an ebay unsavvy person doing their first sale (he had zero feedback). What threw all my caution to the wind was that the location was easily driveable so I could pay cash on delivery ..

So I win the items for about 1/2 of the "real" value ( I assume the real value to be what I could have got for them if I sold them off ebay). I write an email and say "I'm coming to collect the cameras tommorow could you let me have an address and a convienient time?"

I get an email back saying "I've been called out to Spain to see my sister who is ill in Hospital, could you send me the money by bank transfer and I will send you the cameras"

So I write back asking various specific questions about the location of the cameras. The reply's I get are non commital but STRESS the need for a bank transfer as soon possible or he will sell the item to another person.

I'm kinda suspicious of this .. (No shit Sherlock) .. But like all scams I WANT to believe .. So I put it in front of my professional peers on a message board, I stress that whatever happens I'm not doing anything but cash on collection. A collegue points out that the photo is not hosted by ebay but on a russian site .. the same directory contains photo graphs of other high value items ..

So now I KNOW it's a scam .. But of course .. I've screwed up he has my real email and (worse) has my phone number (it's on my sig of my email I use for professional purposes).

But I REALLY want to play with our man ... Does anyone have any ideas ?
ratter
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to 419Eater, and congratulations on your perception. You didn't wire him money and that's what counts in the end.

One of the primary rules is not to bait someone who has your real-life info.

Just drop it. If you want, tell him you decided not to go through with it. Or just ignore any attempts at contact...probably the best way to go.

If you want to get into baiting, read the stickys first, ask for a mentor (see the mentor thread, it's a sticky) and bait safely.

United KingdomUnited StatesNigeriaSpainSwitzerlandBeninNetherlandsCanadaGhanaItalyIrelandMalaysiaUnited Nations = 56

Goat

PayPal Modality
Breddan Butter
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

CameraBoy wrote:
So now I KNOW it's a scam .. ... Does anyone have any ideas ?

Forget it and walk away.
There will be another one appearing any minute.

My IP address is 217.21.39.255. (86.57.134.49 on Sundays) Please don't come knocking on my door.
harrya
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Tell him to sell to other buyer and then walk away, he gave you and easy out.
Don't forget to let ebay know.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic