SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Is S.O. getting cold feet ...???

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
margory
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just today I got this e-mail from my boyfriend (significant other ...). He needed some time to himself to think everything over.

Here's the deal:

He doesn't have a job, and he's searching but everytime the companies turn him down ... (IT branch work, university level). He's been unemployed for a few years now, so possible employers take that in account as well.

I tried to motivate him to find a job. Went with him to a large job fair (I got 2 or 3 active job offers from that ... despite the fact that I live in another part of the country). And he was too stubborn to call this one internet company to ask for a personal meeting at their office. They had a few possibilities, and they said they'd call him, but didnt. I guess his resume got on a large pile ... or something ...

Besides that he does have his drivers license but he hasn't driven a car since he got his license. So he has to do everything by bike. And his attitude is very simple: I'll take some driving lessons if and when I get a job. Whilst my family and I tell him to take driving lessons now, and start driving his fathers car to get experience.

A few months ago, we went to my mothers birthday and he was (again) confronted with family members who asked him why he didn't have a job yet. And I keep telling him that I really want him to get a job, since I think he's capable of so much more than just sitting at home and helping out his mom and dad.

And then there's me:
I just got a contract with a small company, which I am forced to take, otherwise I will not get any more social benefits (for refusing to work in a normal an apropriate job). To be honestly true I really like working at this company so I don't even want to take the risk of moving over to my S.O.'s home town to move in with him and his parents.

So I'm kind of scared here that he's going to tell me that the relationship is over. Not that I want it to be over, since he didn't tell me anything during the previous weekends.
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Seems as if he doesn't want anything. Confused

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari

Last edited by Corona on Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've heard that people who can't get a job for that long aren't considered in the numbers when they list the unemployed. The reason is they are apathetic to finding a new one and lack attempt to find one. Could he be clinically depressed from this? Has he seen a Dr.? I'm not one to push the medical aspects of things, but he could be suffering from it.

About the last part of your OP, are you saying you don't want the job because it's close to him and will end up possibly moving in with him? Sorry if I'm too dense to read it right. Wink

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
Bankster
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I once was unemployed for a few months, and once the novelty factor of getting up whenever you like wears off it really does get to you. If I had to guess I'd say he needs somebody to to help him get off his ass. I wouldn't suggest nagging him a lot tho, it may have the opposite effect.
A small project might help - something that's small enough for him to have a go at it, but still with the potential for a certain sense of achievement. The prospect of something mid- or long-term may be better than a one-time thing. Now good luck finding something suitable... I'd check if some local club needs a homepage or something. Other than that, I have no idea.
Besides that, he probably hates talking about job-related topics. It couldn't hurt if he were reminded about job-unrelated things that he's great at or that make him lovable. Think "positive vibes."

Disclaimer: The above information about a person I've never met is based on the very scientific and proven "wild-ass guess" method. Your results may vary. Smile

Elite Ninja Team Member Easter Egg 2012 Goat Golden Goat Purple Flower Penguin
(United States United Kingdom Benin China Nigeria) x10 __ x?
Radden
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Are there Temp Agencies around? That's where I went when I was unemployed for three months, and I got a job pretty fast.
remmy223
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

try monster for jobs or there is job paper called jobs northwest(called this cause i live up north) but might get it all over the country.
its out today in smiths ,tesco's etc.
real good paper for jobs.

i think there is gojobsite.com but not sure.

good luck

you are bauitfull i will show the picture to my kid

Death man walking.
Click here to support 419Eater.com
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

margory wrote:
... his attitude is very simple: I'll take some driving lessons if and when I get a job. ...

Nope. Very bad attitude. That has very little to do with motivation. Sorry, but that's a cheap excuse.

margory wrote:
... IT branch work, university level ...

IT work + unemployment = free lancing. Or what am I missing?

I was faced with a similar situation 20 years ago. IT related. I started out with free lancing, which led to starting a company, etc., etc.

At the moment I have to beat the customers away with a stick.

Tell S.O. to get his ass in gear.

He doesn't have to start his own company, but there's lots of free lance work out there for IT people who are worth their salt. It also provides references for applying for a position with a company. Not to mention the money, the experience, ...

Nobody wants to hire someone who's not motivated. Except perhaps the government.
shuntbuzz
Illeterate pinhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Monster
Jobserve
CWJobs
Totaljobs
Local papers
Guardian on Thursdays

There is always something out there.

Think of yourself first!

Mortar x7
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[Dear Abby mode on]
margory, please take this in the spirit intended (being helpful, reflective and kind).

The facts I read are that he:
1. Has not worked for several years.
2. Lives with Mom and Dad.
3. Does not drive.

You:
1. Are responsible
2. Have a job
3. Get back and forth to work on your own
4. You are trying to find work for him.
5. You are thinking about moving in with him (on some level).

Guess what role you will play in his life.*
[/Dear Abby mode]

*Mom or parental unit. Shocked

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Seems to me that there are more fish in the sea. Neutral

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
Red
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Oxy - Correct, unemployment figures (in most western countries) only include people who are actively seeking employment in the workforce, not people who are apathetic.

However, it seems like he wants a job... just not that badly.

Who pays for all his stuff?

United Kingdom x36 Malaysia x6 European Union x2 United States x10 Italy x5 x4 Benin x6 Netherlands x8 Russia x2 Indonesia x2 Nigeria x11 x3 Gambia Canada x3 Spain x13 Hong Kong Gibraltar Germany x3 Cayman Islands Japan x2 Belgium x3 United Nations x3 Flag Monaco x2 Austria Ivory Coast x4 x2 Ireland Bahamas, The x2 Portugal x2 Switzerland x4 x3 Ghana x3 Sweden France x2 Serbia and Montenegro x2 China x2 Togo x2 Ukraine x2 South Africa Somolia
Golden Pith 1k3: West African Tour
Safari Ben: Lagos (Nigeria) - Accra (Ghana)
Mortar x10
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ParaNoid has an excellent point. What if he pulls this same stuff when you are married? Do you want to support him while he 'looks' for another job? I say at some point, pride has to kick in and you at least work retail (example) until you can find something in your field again. If he's not depressed, he's lazy because he can fall back on his mom and dad to take care of him. I'm sure you want to be his S.O. not M.O.M.

Ultimately it's your choice, but to be honest, if you are posting here, I'd assume you have doubts of your own.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
Ginch
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As a lifelong slacker myself, I strongly suspect that this fellow might be more suited to a Lagos internet caf�. Although I left home at 17 and never moved back in, your SO's other traits are very familiar to me. I'll do stuff when I want to, where I want to, with whom I want to. Slacker life is ultimately about simplification and driven by I, me, mine. Do what all my women have done...dump him!

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Maggie, two bits from me.

Some people (and mind you, I never met your fellow, so I may be completely wrong here) get so demotivated from being turned down over and over again, they simply cannot force themselves to try very hard. It is easier to say ' well, I was not very determined to get the job, that is why I did not get it', than saying ' I tried my very best, but that was not good enough'. Could be a self-esteem issue.

And the other bit: you cannot change his attitude. It seems to me that you are very supportive and try to give useful advice and go to fairs with him. The rest is really up to him. You cannot get him the perfect job and just land it in his lap like that and make his life perfect on any level. He will need to do all of that himself. The only person you can change here is you. And if you feel he is pressuring you to move away from the job you like, or when you feel that he is taking up heaps of energy and is leeching on you, the choice is yours. You can either choose to see it through and hope he will find his motivation, or you can say that you are done.

We are all a bunch of strangers, we never met you, so we don't really know you. We never met him, and therefore can not assess the person he is. All advice here, although in the best supportive spirit, may not be the advice that is appropriate. You can only rely on yourself and make the choice that is good for you. And I wish you the best of luck with it!

Closed lad accounts loads
pony pony Mortar x46 United States 3x Canada Malaysia 2x Netherlands 2x Nigeria 2x Ghana 3x Ivory Coast 9x United Kingdom 3x Spain Bahamas, The Germany Australia Algerian Flag Togo 2x Cellphone Pretty Rose Safari 4 days of travel - 7 days stuck in airport
Harry Bawls
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As with all the other posts, I don't know you or him. I suspect the OP was you looking for the answer you knew all along. I may be a million miles off with that take on it though.

My advice is actually quite simple. Take some time alone, no TV, no computer, no nothing, and just figure out what YOU really want. Once you figure that out, go with it.

If you determine that you are better off without him, tell him. It may seem like the most difficult thing you have ever done, but in reality, it will be quite easy. If you decide to stay with him, be prepared to be his "enabler". You never mentioned you age. That may also play a large part in it.

Whatever you decide, good luck!
FrumpyBB
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The last two posts introduce at last some compassion with both sides involved...I�m glad to read them.
The arse-kick attitude serves more to satisfy the already advanced people in life, it hardly is a help for any depressed person because normally he should be arse-kicking himself all the time Confused or am i wrong?
Apart from that I personally agree with kd.
One has to want this though...

Safari Dan the lotto man, ARK mugu wedding
Safari Dennis the hitman, co-bait w/ Murry Guru
Safari Zake (w/ SH, SL & Craig)
Safari x 5 Modeling Mugu Meeting, w/ mewing_ghecko & Otterfan & SSC
Safari x 2 another MMM w/ SH
Safari x 13 Later shows and trips for the benefit of M00seknuckle, incl. the 0budu Fact Finding Mission

Come to our Eater University Baiting Tutorials Hello Kitty! pony Cos you deserve it. Smile Mortar x5 Closed lad accounts x50+ Sand Timer x 4 -- T.W.A.T Goat Easter Egg 2013
margory
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks all for posting your replies.

On one hand I want to help him get a job. I know it's not because he's lazy or anything ... he's just demotivated to get a job (or start free lance work for that matter).

On the other hand, I'm at my parent's place today and they also told me to take some time for myself to figure out what I want with this relationship.

My best friend already told me that I could call him any time whether it was day or night ... and he'd be there for me (at least on the phone). Smile

I guess the best advice for me would be to figure out what I really want and let my S.O. figure out for himself what he wants to do. I know he loves me ... he just does not know how to deal with the fact that I do have a job and he doesn't. And there is no way I'm moving to his part of the country just for fun.
Don
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

margory wrote:
I know it's not because he's lazy or anything ... he's just demotivated to get a job

Laughing Laughing Excellent phrase! Sums up the whole "dilemma" in just a few words. I'm really sorry to hear he's demotivated and I hope he gets better soon. Else he should just get up his demotivated ass and try to be a useful member of society.

**"Freedom? There ain't no fuckin' Freedom!"**
Race
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Go with the best friend, HE sounds like a keeper Smile

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's true that being out of work can be demoralizing but life does go on. If you just sit there and do nothing about it then people will soon loose patience. It sounds as if there is a lot of stuff he could be doing but just isn't bothering with, freelancing etc. Could it be that he's grown rather fond of bumming around all day and has decided that hard work is not for him? Certainly sounds to be the case. If he goes on this way and you stick with him then he'll start to drag you down as well if you're not careful. Whereas, as Race says, you've got a male friend who's offering emotional support and help anytime you need it, something your bf is obviously not. Bears thinking about although obviously not worth spoiling a friendship over.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I once dated a guy who was similar in his "luck". Rolling Eyes Jobs just didn't pan out. I thought money didn't really matter. . . as much as love. And, really it doesn't, unless you're dating an unmotivated guy (read: lazy loser) who is content to go no where with his life. Your decision to examine what you really want is the right one. There is no guarantee that he will ever change. How will that work in the future? Will you ever be able to be a family, with a home and children?

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
Vavin
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Race wrote:
Go with the best friend, HE sounds like a keeper Smile

Yes I'm thinking about the best friend. Does the best friend have a job? Will the best friend tell you if your haircut is terrible? What does best friend think about S.O.?

Sometimes, de-motivated people have to have a large "stimulus" to get going. Your refusal to move in with his parents (shudder!!!) and stay with the job you love is probably the biggest stick you can poke him with. Except, of course, actually leaving e.g. "Let's take a break for about 60 days or so and then meet and talk." Best of luck. Remember, Love is Never Enough to Make A Marriage.

Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I say cut him loose. The reason I say this is because I didn�t get my first real job until shortly after my 19th birthday. This was only a foot in the door job as I didn�t start my career until I was 21.

From the age of 16 to 18 I did nothing except for the occasion side job my grandfather would get me. But this was because my parents (grandmother mainly) over indulged me. The just gave me money and a car. The only people to get on me about getting a job was my girlfriend and her mother. Every time I was asked I was like �why now there is plenty of time for that later�.

After I turned 18 my GF dumped me but I figured she be back. I was wrong and she hooked up with someone a few years older. Someone with a job, a real job. Then I realized it wasn�t about the money I had now but about the foundation for the future. (So that�s what the hell my dad was talking about Laughing )

I had already decided what I wanted to do in life but I couldn�t start training until after I was 18. Then I realized I had been 18 for months and hadn�t done anything to start. So with the motivation of winning my high school sweetheart�s heart back I became motivated to get a real job.

After getting the foot in the door job I found that I really enjoyed the work. Then working up the ranks had nothing to do with my ex. The rest is history and if dumping me is what motivated me then I owe her a lot. (Even though she was a bitch to dump me Laughing )

It also sounds like your best friend wants to be more then just friends. Just a thought, coming from someone who has worked that angle before.

Sand Timer 8/11/07-12/15/08 i am totally a looser -Bruce The trophy machine

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
full auto
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd say a total (at least 60 day) break would put him back in line or drive him away. Think of it like this, if he really loves you he'll realize that he needs to man up and start working in the same town. However, if things go the opposite way my condolences... but consider it as being saved from a heart ache that will last a lot longer than a short break up.

Good luck.
Pachanga
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Margory, love is a fraudulent justifier. Do you deserve to spend your life with someone who drags you down financially because you love him?

Real happiness comes from partnering with someone who shares core values, work ethics, and mutual respect. It's great to build on joint success, and to have a reasonable expectation for a comfortable future. If you don't want that for yourself, I urge you to do more soul-searching, and perhaps get some counseling.

Others have commented that your bf might be depressed, and if so, he should get help sooner rather than later. If he refuses, let yourself off the hook.

All the best to you.

Closed lad accounts

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic