SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Internet Fight Goes a Bit Too Far

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Red
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

'All I did was call him a nerd and he came to kill me'

John Anderson, left, and an image of Russell Tavares that Anderson posted on his website.

Photo: AP and John Anderson
July 27, 2007

A US Navy technician who got mad when someone mocked him as a "nerd" over the internet climbed into his car and drove 2100 km from Virginia to Texas to teach the other guy a lesson.

As he made his way toward Texas, Fire Controlman 2nd Class Petty Officer Russell Tavares posted photos online showing the welcome signs at several states' borders, as if to prove to his internet friends that he meant business.

When he finally arrived, Tavares burned the man's trailer down.

This week, Tavares, 27, was sentenced to seven years in prison after pleading no contest to arson and admitting he set the blaze.

"I didn't think anybody was stupid enough to try to kill anybody over an internet fight," said John G. Anderson, 59, who suffered smoke inhalation while trying to put out the 2005 blaze that caused $US50,000 in damage to his trailer and computer equipment.

"All I did was call him a nerd and he came to kill me."

The feud started when Anderson, who runs a haunted house near Waco, joined a picture-sharing website and posted his artwork and political views. After he blocked some people from his page because of insults and foul language, they retaliated by making obscene digitally altered pictures of him, he said.

Anderson, who went by the screen name "Johnny Darkness," traded barbs with Tavares, aka "PyroDice".

Investigators say Tavares boiled over when Anderson called him a nerd and posted a digitally altered photo making Tavares look like a skinny boy in pants too short for his legs, holding a gun and a laptop under a "Revenge of the Nerds" sign.

Tavares obtained Anderson's real name and hometown from Anderson's web page about his Museum of Horrors Haunted House.

Tavares took leave from his post as a weapons systems operator at the AEGIS Training and Readiness centre in Dahlgren, Virginia, and started driving. Investigators say he told them he planned to point a shotgun at Anderson and shoot his computer.

Instead, when he got to Elm Mott - after posting one last photo of a "Welcome to Texas" sign - Tavares threw a piece of petrol-soaked plastic foam into the back of Anderson's mobile home and lit a flare, authorities say.

Tavares' attorney, Susan Kelly Johnston, said his trip to the Waco area was a last-minute decision during a cross-country trip to visit his parents in Arizona. She said he never intended to hurt Anderson and did not think he was in the trailer when he set the fire.

James Pack, an investigator with the Sheriff's Office, caught up with Tavares after talking to people in several states and in Spain who had been involved in the online feud. Tavares' mobile phone records showed he was in the Waco area at the time of the fire, Pack said.

Tavares told investigators that Anderson had spread computer viruses and insulted his online friends for too long, Pack said.

"He lost everything - all over an internet squabble," the investigator said.

Tavares was discharged last year from the Navy, where he earned several medals - including the pistol expert and rifle expert medals - in his nine-year career, said Navy spokesman Mike McLellan.

Tavares would not let the feud go even at his sentencing. According to Pack, Tavares took mobile-phone photos of Anderson in the courtroom while the judge was hearing another case. Authorities ordered the photos erased.

Anderson, an ex-Marine who served in Vietnam, said he continues to be harassed online, has been startled by people knocking on his window late at night and found bullet holes in a door to his business.

He said he is convinced the harassment is related to the internet feud and plans to spend $US30,000 on more fencing topped with barbed wire.

"Before this happened, the rule was: Nobody messes with the haunted house guy," Anderson said.

AP

Shocked

United Kingdom x36 Malaysia x6 European Union x2 United States x10 Italy x5 x4 Benin x6 Netherlands x8 Russia x2 Indonesia x2 Nigeria x11 x3 Gambia Canada x3 Spain x13 Hong Kong Gibraltar Germany x3 Cayman Islands Japan x2 Belgium x3 United Nations x3 Flag Monaco x2 Austria Ivory Coast x4 x2 Ireland Bahamas, The x2 Portugal x2 Switzerland x4 x3 Ghana x3 Sweden France x2 Serbia and Montenegro x2 China x2 Togo x2 Ukraine x2 South Africa Somolia
Golden Pith 1k3: West African Tour
Safari Ben: Lagos (Nigeria) - Accra (Ghana)
Mortar x10
JoeTam
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That dude needs some sedation. crazy.

I went to bank. they call police, why you do this to me? I canntsend you anything now.
Goat dog
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You'd better not call me a nerd Red Razz

Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is the reason I'm more concerned about trolls getting my personal info than lads. Wink

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
B. A. Ware
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That reminds me that I have to make a trip to Australia. See ya soon Red Razz
DuraLex
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

"stupid job baiter. rot for hell demon scum"-Danny the Internet Hitman
"Listen to me mr , you have also insulted mr personalty and you have also misspelled mr name , am nor santana,santodo my name is prof charles soludo."
Visit the Duralex Internet Experience. Baits and tutorials go here.
Big thanks to JMRazor for the orange title!
PRS Girly Girl
Will Post for Food

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yipes. I've repeatedly called an Eater member a geek and a nerd. Thank goodness for safe baiting. Whew.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein

Mortar x3
Pith Helmet Banjul, The Gambia to Dakar, Senegal and back. 0usman C4mar4
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Yeah and if you call me that again I have a whole bag of petrol with your name on it. Cool

Seriously, that's a salutary lesson on why you don't give out personal details on the interweb. Good story.

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"They made me to understand you are a Fraud Star" - Ikenna.
"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
"I will have you now I am highly reputable businness magnet." - Pam Doh
"Sorry,i do not know you are all that: a destitute and nuts" - Ben Chris
Don
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

TSnerd wrote:
This is the reason I'm more concerned about trolls getting my personal info than lads. Wink

I tried to invite one to my home but he's probably still travelling Russia looking for me...hm? Velocity?

...and this is Breadcrumb:

**"Freedom? There ain't no fuckin' Freedom!"**
breadcrumb
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Hey!!! Stop posting nerd pictures and say it�s me, or I will come to your place and eat all your prosciutto!! Laughing Laughing

"your papa, i do you ok, you do fuck your self off goodday" Hitman lad to Usm4an B3ll0
"fuck you and your mumu family for ever andv ever, you go die for bicycle accident this year" Hitman to Usm4n B3ll0
"once again thank you for the disappointment and arranged confussion." Barrister Ise
"Do you said am stupid" lad posing as Mike Pence
Click here to support 419Eater.com
Postcount doesn´t matter.
pony Rolling Eyes (Admin Certified)
9x United Kingdom 2x Spain Benin Netherlands Nigeria Switzerland
Mortar x12
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Don wrote:
I tried to invite one to my home but he's probably still travelling Russia looking for me...hm? Velocity?

I think the problem is that you didn't offer to make him a proper antipasto. World class internet ninjas will only track someone down if the munchies are worth the trip Wink

On a serious note, this story illustrates why folks shouldn't put their personal details on the web for some obsessed freak to find. I shudder every time I see a myspace page or family website with someone's RL details posted for all the world to see. Shocked

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Velocity and his awesome tracking powers would not waste time with Don's Italian food, even lovely bruschetta, I'm sure a good old Aussie barbecue would entice him to come.

That story is scary though, shows how far a person will go...

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg
Red
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
That story is scary though, shows how far a person will go...

2100 km apparently...

United Kingdom x36 Malaysia x6 European Union x2 United States x10 Italy x5 x4 Benin x6 Netherlands x8 Russia x2 Indonesia x2 Nigeria x11 x3 Gambia Canada x3 Spain x13 Hong Kong Gibraltar Germany x3 Cayman Islands Japan x2 Belgium x3 United Nations x3 Flag Monaco x2 Austria Ivory Coast x4 x2 Ireland Bahamas, The x2 Portugal x2 Switzerland x4 x3 Ghana x3 Sweden France x2 Serbia and Montenegro x2 China x2 Togo x2 Ukraine x2 South Africa Somolia
Golden Pith 1k3: West African Tour
Safari Ben: Lagos (Nigeria) - Accra (Ghana)
Mortar x10
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That's about the distance from NZ to Australia... be afraid, be very afraid.

More seriously, it is a pretty scary article. In other places on the net I do have links to my real life personality, which I think is fairly safe because there's nothing that would really offend someone. However things like this do make me think twice...

Shiver Metimbers
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Haha! Don. That's a world class picture you posted there. Gotta use that somewhere Smile

----------------------------------
Shiver's scammer trophies.
----------------------------------
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I often get into a fight with the internet...It always wins Sad

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
Doctor X
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow.

Just . . . wow.

To both the article and the LARPer picture.

--J.D.

Luther Blissett
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sometimes the Internet is a really scary place Confused

Banks: Ivory Coast Netherlands United Kingdom Ghana United Nations x1 Nigeria x2 Law Firms: South Africa United Kingdom Nigeria x1 Misc. Mugu Pooh: United Kingdom China x1 United Nations x2 HYIPs: pyramid x25 Phonelad Websites: Cellphone x6

Donate the Nurse, the Eater needs Pants... Err? * Scamwarners.com * Artists against 419 * Kill HYIPs & Ponzi Scams!
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been posting on various boards for a few years now and the only thing it's taught me is that the internet is full of boiler plated, certifiable, 100% genuine crazies. This is an extreme example but I am not at all surprised.

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
Don
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A couple of billion people are interacting over the internet and the probability of dealing with a nutter are significantly higher than in any given town, simply because you're exposed to more people. For the same reason crossing a main highway in or around LA will be riskier than crossing a road in some mid-western small town. The same internet will then make us aware of such things.

**"Freedom? There ain't no fuckin' Freedom!"**
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^I called "sweets" a "twat" couple of times and he never came to get me. Razz

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
persephone
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Guys, stop cluttering the forum please. His clearly needs to go in the IP thread in Hints and Tips! Wink

Closed lad accounts loads
pony pony Mortar x46 United States 3x Canada Malaysia 2x Netherlands 2x Nigeria 2x Ghana 3x Ivory Coast 9x United Kingdom 3x Spain Bahamas, The Germany Australia Algerian Flag Togo 2x Cellphone Pretty Rose Safari 4 days of travel - 7 days stuck in airport
Dajmin
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Shit like that happens a lot. Like this.

It's all crazy. I just wonder how they get the addresses in the first place, unless the retards just give info to anyone who asks. It can't all be down to hackers getting into secure databases.

"Oh hey, I'm gonna kill you. BTW where's your house?"
"1337 Asshole Avenue"
"OMW!"
"OMG i r t3h dedz!111!1 :'((((("
"ROFLMAO"
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmmm, the subject of this thread vaguely reminds me of something. Confused
babyboyuk81
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

im stil waiting on someone who said they would hunt me down 2 yrs ago and i even made them dinner for the day they cliamed they were gonna be coming round Laughing

pony
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic