SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

DIY slug trap?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Shiver Metimbers
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There must be someone out there who can explain to mne how to make a SIMPLE slug/snail trap? I know beer is a good bait to use, but is there a nice easy way to make a home-made trap. I had a quick look on Google and all I could find were people selling them. I want to save at least �2 and make my own!

----------------------------------
Shiver's scammer trophies.
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Put some beer in it, cover with a bit of card or plastic and hey presto! dead slugs.

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
Craig007
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

HERE are a few ideas.

pony pony pony Easter Egg Goat Vcamera

Mortar x7 Closed lad accounts Thailand Canada

Safari Safari Wulugu or Bust Safari- Lagos, Nigeria to Paga, Ghana and Tokwari, Ghana X2-3800mi. "I'm leaving this bullshit area"

Safari - Accra to Cotonou - 430 miles

100% RISK FREE TRANSACTION

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
Bam-Skater
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As far as i know you put containers (flower pots?) flush with the ground at strategic bits round your garden and fill them with beer. You can also get wee green slug pellets ('bout the size of large lighter flints) from garden centres that you sprinkle round the flower beds. AFAIK it's only a few quid fur a packet of thoosins!
B-S

419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll try a couple of suggestions later. Mrs. Shiver wasn't impressed with my idea of filling an electric blender full of beer..... you can make the rest up.

Shiver's scammer trophies.
Bam-Skater
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've just read elsewhere a better idea without wasting precious alcohol or putting chemicals into the soil is to stick up bird feeders to, erm, attract birds. They'll eat 'em before they eat the bird seed as slugs are more nutricious. As an added bonus you get to kick back, drink the beer and watch the pretty birdies.

B-S

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

adopt a hedgehog as slugs are their primary food.

they make short work of them and will prob wander.

you are bauitfull i will show the picture to my kid

Death man walking.
Click here to support 419Eater.com
Dionysius
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm surprised Shiver hasn't asked his mugu to build one for him, and to ship it of course.

RIP - Lad vampire and muguito were the gifts that kept on leeching. Greatly missed.

Information about Scams and their effects with great trophies - http://www.scam-info-links.info/ from Scam Patroller - http://www.romancescambaiter.com/ from wayne
Gold Hat
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

shiver metimbers wrote:
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll try a couple of suggestions . . . . .

W. . . . .A. . . . .I. . . . .T . . . . . don�t be so quick to run off before the REAL gardeners have had a chance to wade in on this topic - you are sooooooooo impatient Shiv.

As you can see from the pics below I too have had to battle the slimy slugs. After decades of war I have finally won the battle. And I haven�t spent hardly any money.

Forget the beer filled tuna can/ash tray remedies � too messy � kills valuable insects � and it is really hard to strain out all the little bits when trying to reclaim the beer.

All you need are some old boards. Lay them down in the walkways or other strategic locations and then every morning for about a week lift the boards, scrape up the slugs underneath into a plastic bag and put �em in the garbage. Do that a couple of times each season and the problem will go away. You can also use cabbage leaves, grape fruit rinds or anything else the slugs would like to hide under. Or wait until after dark and go a few doors down and take some boards out of your neighbour�s fence.

I recently discovered the flame wand that attaches to a portable propane tank so I don�t pick them up. Just turn over the board and fire away. I love the smell of burning slugs in the morning � almost like napalm.

Other cheap solutions are:

- sprinkle a 3 inch wide barrier of scratchy material like sharp sand, lime or wood ash. Diatomeceous earth is best but very expensive. Slugs will not crawl through that stuff.

- And last but not least . . . . turn over your soil just before the ground freezes � that will allow the frost to penetrate and freeze the little f*kers to death. And yes I know, the soil doesn�t freeze where you live � so turn the soil on the coldest possible day � it will help.

Last edited by Gold Hat on Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Snails I used to pick up and throw, but they do tend to wander back, also next door might start throwing theirs across the fence.
My kids used to love collecting snails and racing them. I wasnt too pleased to find my son had brought a pocket full of them upstairs though.

I put down bark and that deterred them for a while but they're baaack!

I've even found snails in my parsley, it grows in a window box 2 floors above ground level !
Mercury
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My Dad had a plant called a "Hosta" in the garden, slugs and snails absolutely devoured it. There was nothing left, he got sick of putting out beer so he bought these things he saw in a newspaper ad. They were called "Nematodes", little parasites that killed slugs and snails. Biological warfare in a way Laughing They weren't up to his expectations but they certainly helped, we used to have a hedgehog in the garden but he wondered off down the road and never came back. He's been trying to attract him back for ages, apparently they love catfood. Unfortunately so does our cat, so the problem is as bad as ever. I'll forward some the ideas in this thread to my Dad and then maybe the Hosta will have a chance.

"should i go to hair dressing salon for the application of the tattoo?"

Join the church of today
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The pellets are the easiest and fastest.
We do it in spring and just did again.
They smell for a day or so but I can live with that.
I hate those things. Evil or Very Mad

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
Seven of Nine
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Admittedly not a sub 2 quid solution.
Chickens or ducks may be worthwhile considering. As an added bonus you have fresh eggs almost every day.

On the downside, the local Reynard may drop in for some of Shiver's Fresh Chicken (or Duck).

callum
Director of Press Relations

Location: On the run from the asylum and this seems like a good place to hide. Blend right in...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Gold Hat wrote:
I recently discovered the flame wand that attaches to a portable propane tank so I don’t pick them up. Just turn over the board and fire away. I love the smell of burning slugs in the morning – almost like napalm.

Reminds me of kd's remedy for trolls Laughing

x 2 teeny part of a large effort Mortar x29 Nurse Nastys Audi TT x5
Trolling is usually symptomatic of bad character, mental problems or ugliness - RIP Jock_2009
Klaasvaak
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

will get rid of your slugs

Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Be careful with slug pellets if you have pets (which I think Shiver does?).
When we were kids we used to scoop up slugs (at 1p each from gardening freak mom) and pour salt on them. Cruel but effective.

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
Eight
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nematodes work well. Beer traps too. If you were thinking of trying to brew your own beer, now's a good time to start. If the first batch tastes good, drink it and if it doesn't let the slugs have it. Smile

United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Benin Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Nigeria France Benin

Avatar from sweethell ** www.ScamWarners.com - Victim warnings, support, advice & information ** Click here to donate to 419Eater.com
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Eight, you're not far off there. Shiv' If you can get it, look out for the bottled Guinness brewed in ...(you guessed it) Nigeria. Razz
Someone brought some to my 40th birthday party. I took one swig and poured it into the flower bed. It had a sickly sweet taste, yuk!.
Next day, during the clean up, I noticed a gaggle of slugs lying around stupefied where I'd poured the devil's brew.

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Gnasher, I forgot about the pets. I don't have any right now but we've been thinking about getting another and glad you reminded me of that. Smile

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
FireWyrm
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

~Gold Hat,

I had absolutely no idea that gardeners had such a venomous hatred of slugs! ROFL.

This is SO like a Jasper Carrot and the Mole sketch! Dont tell me....
you go around and blast them to smithereens at night. BLAM BLAM...die you little F**kers!

Thank you so much for this, I was giggling myself stupid all day with the images.

@Klaasvaak
With pinched fence boards and ashtrays filled with bear held together with barbed wire and duct tape?
"Well boys, we've done it again, the great slug infestation is no more. I love it when a plan comes together" Laughing

"SCHOOLS FOR THE DEAF/DUMPS" - Frank
"I will not live long since my ailment has defiled all forms of medical treatment" - Victoria
PLEASE IGNORE ANY FURTHER MESSAGE FROM CHARLES OR WHATEVER FOR GOODNESS SAKE.!!! - FRANK AGAIN
so how do you want me to beat trust in you now??? (I think I've annoyed him - Frank again)

Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone
The False Italian
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Seven of Nine wrote:
Chickens or ducks may be worthwhile considering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Runner_Duck
FireWyrm
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

And if it doesnt, you can always have Duck l'orange or Peking Duck and a bottle of wine. You wont care about the slugs. ROFL
Zen
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Slug pellets are very bad - they give the slugs a short-term defeat and a long-term victory because they kill the natural predators. Please don't use them - there are plenty of more effective organic alternatives Smile

Hedgehogs are brilliant but make sure they can get through fences into neighbouring gardens, else they have to venture out onto the roads. Dogfood, catfood and meat scraps will attract them and help them fin routes between gardens, but (contrary to popular opinion) bread and milk is very harmful to them (it fills their stomachs but they cannot digest it properly, so they end up malnourished).

The fast little black beetles that you see in your garden are slug predators. If your vegetable patch has a vertical barrier all round the circumference (with the patch on the low side), beetles that fall into your patch will be unable to escape, and will stay around to massacre all the slugs in the patch. But beer traps will kill them as well as the slugs, so don't waste the beer.

The idea of creating hiding places is good. I use skins from 1/2 grapefruits as the decoy, then expose them on a bird table and let the blackbirds and trushes clean out the fugitives.

Warned you're writing to a scammer? Just say "Thanks, I'm a baiter" (ScamWarners.com)
419eater FAQ/rules: http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846
"Tell me what you want to do
And I can make it up for you
And lie" Ticket to Lie, by Texas
llamedos
Been There, Done That

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Get yourself a garden chair, a can of beer and a .22 air rifle Mr. Green

I once shot a huge slug with a .177 air pistol at very close range aiming for the shiny bit at the back of their head (hey; I was young, I was bored): the damn thing exploded. Shocked

Barrister Addo Williams: I want you to know that I am not impressed with your performance towards this project.
Mattins Wilson: ...and they stated morken me and tarfing at me as if am a full, so please it is enough OK. /AND/ I promise you for all this furffring that you are furffring to me <--- No, I haven't a clue either
Peter Ovdo: I want you to have trust in me that all is ok as stated in my last mail to you which i wrote in big letters

Ethel Gnassingbe: FOUK YOU AND GO TO HELL

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up"
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We had a couple of chooks running around in the back yard and laying a couple of the most delicious eggs every day and they used to keep all the bugs and beasties at bay. Then we got two dogs. No contest so the chooks were sent away to a farm in the country (or that's what we told the kids anyway).

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic