SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Flat Screen TVs

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
eamonn
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been looking at flat screen TVs for the living room and all the ones I've seen (including the expensive jobbies) don't seen to have as sharp a picture as my 100hz CRT beast, especially when it's fast moving action like rugby or football.
Have many people got one and notice this, or didi you learn to live with it ?

get your baiting forms here
Craig007
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Look for a TV with progressive scan.

That improves the clarity of the balls, e.t.c

pony pony pony Easter Egg Goat Vcamera

Mortar x7 Closed lad accounts Thailand Canada

Safari Safari Wulugu or Bust Safari- Lagos, Nigeria to Paga, Ghana and Tokwari, Ghana X2-3800mi. "I'm leaving this bullshit area"

Safari - Accra to Cotonou - 430 miles

100% RISK FREE TRANSACTION

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
luckey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've read that it is largely a myth that flat panels (lcd or plasma) have better quality pictures that CRTs. They're just smaller. And much cooler looking. But they are getting better.

DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The jaggity lines is a feature of LCDs. Better LCDs have less. An LCD will never be equal to a CRT but they can be bigger and lighter. The screen size has to be matched to your viewing distance to be far enough away that you don't notice the minor problems. I noticed that the cheaper screens have more of a problem with the break up during fast motion. I have a Samsung42" and have not noticed any artifacts, but obviously if you stand too close you see a fuzzy image. Another problem is with the conversion of a standard broadcast scan to a nonstandard picture size. The scan rate is slightly off so you can notice a movement of a static image as the screen skips some of the scan rate. Sorry I can't explain it better than that.

DLP is suppose to be better. But you sacrifice weight and they are deeper than LCDs.

I was told to stay away from plasma.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The LCD flats screen don't really come to life and do what they can until you fulfil all the steps on the way:

1. LCD capable of HDTV with progressive scan, 100hz, high contrast, etc. (e.g. Panasonic TX-32LX70F)
2. digital Sat/cable receiver capable of HDTV
3. connenction with with HDMI cabel (full digital)
4. broadcast in HDTV, and receiver tuned to the correct frequence.

When you have all of it, the results are amazing.
Shiver Metimbers
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

And remember, there's HDTV and HDTV. Don't be caught out by the advertising guff, such as "HD Ready". Just because a TV can display a HD signal, it doesn't mean it can do so in actual "real" HD. 1024x760 should be your minimum resolution for a 32" and above TV. 1080p is what really gives the "wow" factor, but you probably would only get the benefit of that on a 50"+ screen. IMHO the best FSTV manufacturers at the moment are Pioneer and Panasonic.

All that's assuming you give a rat's ass about HDTV of course!

----------------------------------
Shiver's scammer trophies.
----------------------------------
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I connect my flat screen 1080p CRT with DVI and optical. Pretty old school but its been working for me. The optical connector has become harder to find and seems to be very tasty according to my bunnie. DVI and a RCA phono jack for digital audio is still all digital but it does not light up the cool blue lights on the components and is dependent upon the quality of the corrosion resistance of the jack.

The motion thing with LCDs is pretty much in the past. Of course its not as fast as a CRT but getting better.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
Pachanga
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just bought a 32" flat-screen and did the steps KD outlined above. The picture is fantastic. The screen is 4" deep.

Closed lad accounts

Click here to support 419Eater.com
battery
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

reading this almost made me want to go buy a TV!

DONATE
---

I don't deserve a pony Sad

of course you deserve a pony-lotta Very Happy
pony pony pony
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^Nooooo. Don't do it. Wait a year for digital to really hit the market. It will drive the technology up and the cost down; economies of scale come into play. Look at what happened in the quality and the prices in the last year.

From Wiki-
Code:
As of July 2007, HDTV saturation in the US has reached 30% � in other words, three out of every ten American households own at least one HDTV. However, only 44% of those that do own an HDTV are actually receiving HDTV programming, as many consumers are not aware that they must obtain special receivers to receive HDTV from cable or satellite, or use ATSC tuners to receive over-the-air broadcasts; others may not even know what HDTV is.

I don't watch TV but that's OK as I am not paying for Sat or cable. I do have 38 channels of digital crap over the air but can easily ignore it. My biggest complaint is that light guns such as those used for Time Crisis do not work on HDTV sets and the Wii controller does not quite have the feel of an M9 Baretta. A normal DVD up converted is watchable but a VHS is out of the question.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

DrWho wrote:
I was told to stay away from plasma.

Plasmas are supposed to have a definite life span. Now, I don't know what that life span is. It could be a ridiculously long time. But I know that when they originally came out, that was a concern. I would be very concerned with the heat that plasma gives out. I have never owned one, but I would think it would put a nice burn mark on your wall if it was too close.

I have an HDTV, but I do not pay for HD service. For some reason, I only pay $7 a month for extended cable and HBO. I am not going to have them come and hook up HD for fear they might realize they forgot to turn a couple of things off. I can deal without HD for now.

Omar Safari Edo-Abeche T.W.A.T
Adamu Safari Lagos-Abeche
Emi Safari- S Africa-Egypt-Sudan 10k miles
Chris Safari Jolly Roger Dakar-Niger-BF-Cameroon-Lagos-Mali-Nairobi 9.6k miles

Kevin Pith Helmet 10 Safari Accra- BF x2, Togo x2, Kumasi x3, Bolgatanga, Benin City, Tamale x2 Suitcase 5k miles Tattoo x 6
Kenny Safari Safari Safari 3k miles- dont f*ck me up about the payment plz. i have a policy about that. I JUST GOT A SMALL GOAT TODAY AND ITS IN MY HOUSE NOW. i lobve the goat.
Goat
Ben Safari Safari Safari 2.5k miles

Misc Pith Helmet 20 Pith Helmet 5 Pith Helmet 5 Safari Safari Germany-Holland, Atlanta, Beijing-ChangZhou, London-Glasgow, TIMBUKTU x 2
babyboyuk81
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Shocked im surprised that they dont just invent a tv so light is can be connected to ur head so u can be glued to the thing 24/7 lol

then again now my ideas being put on show watch it turn into a �2 ideal which gets bankrupted in 24 hrs Laughing

pony
Saint Arnold
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's what I've run across:

- Plasma sets are very nice but highly reflective. They do have a limited life, but with average usage should last more than ten years. (My wife's addiction to Lifetime Movies will probably result in mine - purchased this past Christmas - failing by Thanksgiving.) The market is moving towards LCD. This doesn't really matter for a new purchase, as these things aren't really repairable. A friend of mine who works for a large computer company that sells both plasma and LCD sets through Best Buy thinks you'll start seeing fire sale prices on plasma sets this Christmas.

- LCD sets are proportionally more expensive as the screen size increases. The technology is getting better and better, but is more prone to motion artifacts than plasma. You can get higher resolution on the LCD at bigger screen sizes. LCDs use backlights (plasma doesn't). The backlights are fluorescent tubes. Over time, those get dimmer, and the ends get dim before the middle (check any older fluorescent tubes in your house to see this). I have no idea whether the backlights in an LCD TV are field replaceable units, and your average Best Buy salesman won't know either, but I'll bet they aren't. With all that said the lifespan on that grade fluorescent tube is probably pretty good. If I recall correctly, the bulb spec on a laptop screen is something like a 50% reduction in light output after 10,000 hours. It's been a long time since I worked in that field, so don't quote me on that!

- I personally hate DLP. I have yet to watch a DLP set without getting annoyed by the motion artifacts. I also do not trust the TI chip with all the little mirrors on it - that seems like an expensive repair waiting to happen. Too many moving parts have to line up just right for DLP to work for my taste, and then when they do line up, there are too many artifacts. Blech.

I haven't watched the market since I bought the Panasonic plasma set last December. I think it I were made of cash, this year I'd buy a large LCD and a Blu-Ray player.

By the way, styling is more important than I thought it would be. The Panasonic I bought got all sorts of great picture reviews, and I agree - the picture is great. The frame is ugly, though. Some of the black frame sets are much nicer looking.

Once I settled on a plasma set, I found this web site to be extremely helpful:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/reviews.html There is probably something similar out there for LCD.

By the way - who's winning, Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? From the little I hear on this (I don't follow closely because if I did I'd want to buy a unit), Blu-Ray has the lead in the US, HD-DVD is more popular in Europe.

Our legal team are on standby for the next line of action in this very interesting case.already they are still studying the MTCN number that you sent,it will be used as evidence together with your full names and address,when this epic battle commences. - the one and only Charles Soludo

--------------------------
Cellphone x15 (RIP) United Kingdom x7 South Africa x1
Safari Lottery lad, Benin City - Abuja Safari A new minister, Lagos-Benin City Safari The same minister, Lagos - Tamale, Ghana
Safari Dr. Johnson - Abidjan-Abuja and back again (so far! - 1666 miles round trip)

pony <----because life can seem bleary and bleak without one. TS
pony Because Lotta is a great and beautiful mod!
Mortar x21
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic