SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Riddle

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bobo419
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

anyone care to solve the following riddle?

Three chaps decide to order a $10 pizza each.
Half an hour later the delivery man arrives with three pizza's and they pay him $10 each.
When the delivery man returns to the Pizza place and deposits $30 in the till, the manager says "Hang on, there's a special offer going on : 3 pizza's for $25, go and give them $5 back".
On his way to return the money, the delivery man thinks "hey, they can't split $5 three ways, and they didn't even give me a tip, so I'll take $2 for myself, and return $3".
He arrives and explains there was a special promo : 3 pizza's for $27, and he gives them $1 each.
This means each of the men has actually paid $9 (10-1).
$9 x 3 = $27
The delivery man has put $2 in his pocket.
$27 + $2 = $29
So where's the remaining dollar? :shock:

Never mind the inconsistencies of the story (yea right, the manager would really return the $5... or even more ludicrous : the delivery chap wouldn't pocket the whole $5)...

Feel free to use in baits (the Mugu who finds the answer will be rewarded $10.000... or something of the sort...)

crime doesn't pay... but the hours are good !

Early to bed, early to rise
Makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise
- and a milkman -
Don
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Each guy did pay $9. Then, $2 of the $27 went to the delivery boy (!), and the other $25 went to the pizza place. The trick is where you add the $2 to the $27 collected. That shouldn't be there. I'm sure Doctor X will come along shortly to write a multi-page abstract explaining the mathematical grounds for this common misunderstanding in more detail. Wink

**"Freedom? There ain't no fuckin' Freedom!"**

Last edited by Don on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I know.

As in all these riddles, the question reverses the maths in a way that sounds right but is not. In this case the customers are told pizza comes to $27, so the delivery man returns $3. 3+27=30, but in fact it came to $25. The delivery man kept $2: 25+2=27, and returned $3: 27+3=30. The $3 between 27 and 30 is the three dollars returned to the customers, not the two dollars retained by the delivery man.

I'll donate the 10,000 to eater.
Damn. Beaten by Don

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yep 25 in the till, 3 to the customers and 2 to the delivery boy, You confuse the person your telling it to by adding the 27 and the 2 together

Heres one: (Probably really old, derived from a chain email I think.)

"Think of words ending in -GRY. Angry and hungry are two. There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word? The word is something that everyone uses every day. If you have listened carefully, I have already told you what it is."

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg
Bobo419
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

language ??

- and a milkman -
Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

clapping

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg
419weasel
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ooo!! Ooo!! Me!! Me!! jump_4_joy jump_4_joy

The money got dropped on the ground and stuck to the gum on the underside of someone's shoe! Very Happy

Click for lad pain. - New to the forum? Introduce yourself HERE!
Easter Egg 2012 pony Turns that frown upside down- TS
Mc Fry
<-- Official 419Eater buns awarded by Luther Blissett, bun-enabler extraordinaire.
Pith Helmet Remy D1ckson - 1,000 miles from Abidjan, Cote D'Ivoire to Lagos, Nigeria and back!

Lad Quotes
http://members.419eater.com/~419weasel/ladquotes.html
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Reaper-

That is the worst riddle ever. That would have made sense had the sentence been written with quotation marks aroung "the English language". This riddle really only works when spoken. Even then, it sucks.

Omar Safari Edo-Abeche T.W.A.T
Adamu Safari Lagos-Abeche
Emi Safari- S Africa-Egypt-Sudan 10k miles
Chris Safari Jolly Roger Dakar-Niger-BF-Cameroon-Lagos-Mali-Nairobi 9.6k miles

Kevin Pith Helmet 10 Safari Accra- BF x2, Togo x2, Kumasi x3, Bolgatanga, Benin City, Tamale x2 Suitcase 5k miles Tattoo x 6
Kenny Safari Safari Safari 3k miles- dont f*ck me up about the payment plz. i have a policy about that. I JUST GOT A SMALL GOAT TODAY AND ITS IN MY HOUSE NOW. i lobve the goat.
Goat
Ben Safari Safari Safari 2.5k miles

Misc Pith Helmet 20 Pith Helmet 5 Pith Helmet 5 Safari Safari Germany-Holland, Atlanta, Beijing-ChangZhou, London-Glasgow, TIMBUKTU x 2
luckey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's one that had me stumped for a while:

You're on a game show. There are twenty doors. Behind one, there is a trunk box full of money. Behind the other nineteen there are goats. You pick one door. The host, with much drama and suspense, opens 18 doors to reveal goats.

There are now two doors left, one has a goat, and one has the money. Before opening the next door, the game show host offers you a chance to switch doors.

Here's the question: will your odds of walking away with the trunk box be improved if you switch?

Bobo419
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

(my) logic would tell me no, but then choosing the illogical explanation I'll say yes ! Laughing

Actually, there a gameshow televised over here where 20 contestants are given a box each. Each box containes a certain amount of money, ranging from 50 Eurocents to 100.000 Euro. One contestant is then "chosen at random" and can choose the other contestant's boxes, one at a time. Once chosen, the other contestant then has to open his box and reveal the amount that was in it. This amount then is deleted from the board... The chosen contestant can at regular times choose the amount the "bank" offers (usually an amount which is the average of the remaining amounts...), but he then can not continue the game.
Most people are greedy and continue.
I've seen this game in 3 different countries and the rules vary slightly, but over where I live, if there are only two boxes left (the chosen contestant's and the remaining contestant's box), the bank often, instead of offering an average amount, offers the contestant the option of switching boxes... Most contestants do not switch and are subsequently more often than not ....fXXXed

- and a milkman -
luckey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You are correct, and the contestants you mentioned who do not switch are dramatically reducing their odds of winning by not switching.

It seems like the odds should be 50/50. After all, regardless of what happened previously, in the end there are only two doors; one with a goat, and one with a box of money. Right?

So why are the odds not 50/50?

TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It is mathematical. His original pick has a 1 in 20 chance of being correct, even though you have eliminated 18 already, it is still 1 in 20 or 5%. The new choice is 1 in 2 or 50%. Just because you know that 18 have goats now, you didn't know that when you picked.

"I knew rigth from the first time you sent email to me that,you are a bloody *DELETED*" - Sgt Daniel Vess
"I NO BLAME U NA DI DIRTY TOTO WEN BORN U NA IM I BLAME. CATBINGO" - Lee Wong
"I AM EQUAL TO A MENTAL RETARDED PERSON" - Alvan Ben
"You have pushed me to the wall and i will make you smell yourself i bet." - George Martins
"THE FOOL STOLE YOUR US$755, HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO LEAVE ON THE PLANET" - Jim Ovia

pony pony - for a perfect brown nosing job. Wink

pony Mortar x4
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteSkype Name
ratter
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ yes, but he has the equal 50/50 chance whether he switches or not. At this point there are two choices and the last 18 are no longer relevant. He can't improve his chance by switching. (Edit: Ook, now I see what you mean. You're right, of course.)

Wait a min. His chances of 1/20 of getting it right the first time haven't changed either. So it's 1/20 if he sticks and 1/2 if he switches? Or is it 19/20 to switch...I'm so confused...

Embarassed

United KingdomUnited StatesNigeriaSpainSwitzerlandBeninNetherlandsCanadaGhanaItalyIrelandMalaysiaUnited Nations = 56

Goat

PayPal Modality

Last edited by ratter on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
dgloryhole
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

the dollar was sent to Usm2n B3llo via western union

pony
TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ratter wrote:
Wait a min. His chances of 1/20 of getting it right the first time haven't changed either. So it's 1/20 if he sticks and 1/2 if he switches

This is correct.

"I knew rigth from the first time you sent email to me that,you are a bloody *DELETED*" - Sgt Daniel Vess
"You have pushed me to the wall and i will make you smell yourself i bet." - George Martins
"THE FOOL STOLE YOUR US$755, HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO LEAVE ON THE PLANET" - Jim Ovia

pony Mortar x4
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteSkype Name
luckey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Well done. As a reward, I'll give you the trunk box. Unfortunately, the money in it has been printed over with black ink. What are the odds that my patented cleaning solution will work?

Edit: my spelling is worse than my math.

Last edited by luckey on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
ratter
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^ 1/infinity, more or less....

@Ook, you say I'm right that it's 1/20 to stay, 50/50 to switch...don't the chances have to add to one if they are mutually exclusive? 1/20 and 19/20?

United KingdomUnited StatesNigeriaSpainSwitzerlandBeninNetherlandsCanadaGhanaItalyIrelandMalaysiaUnited Nations = 56

Goat

PayPal Modality
luckey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ I think that is correct.

Here's an explanation: http://www.faisal.com/docs/monty.xhtml

bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Same as the pizza money, adding apples and pears.
chance 1/20 to pick the right one out of 20 or 19/20 to pick the wrong one

chance 1/2 to pick the right one out of 2 or 1/2 to pick the wrong one

"Warned for lad hugging"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

back to the pizza money - The EXACT answer is that the other dollar is in the cash register at the pizza place!!!

Because - - how do you divide 25 by 3? You do not....24 is the closest #. So the guys were to really pay about $8.33 each. So he then gave them each $1. This then means he pockets $2.......and when you did the math the other way......the extra dollar was......in the cash register at the pizza store!

vLad's ebay auction states "Wonderful seller! Thinks "out of the box" to get item to you."
<br>
starstar Ghana Easter Egg 2013

Vcamera <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrsRobinson419"> Click to see the videos Ed sent me.</a><br>
<A href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/index.html"> Eliza's lad quotes, photos, and audio files</a>
Mortar x12
*this sig icon has been censored* <br><a href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/809104_ML.pdf" > click here</a> for a Bank Account Transfer Form.
Golden Pith
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Eater is repeating itself:

http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=793382#793382
TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Ratter - sorry you are right, it is switching from 1/20 to 19/20 the percentage still has to equal 100. I forgot that little rule. So it is almost always to your advantage to switch.

pony Mortar x4
Peanut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

x = .9 (repeating)
10x = 9.9(repeating)
10x = 9 + x

subtract x from both sides

9x = 9

x = 1

.9(repeating) = 1

Shocked

Sand TimerSafariSafari(Lagos-Benin City-Lagos-Kano-Maiduguri-Lagos-Calabar): ~2,696 miles,stranded for 11 days: "I am very grateful that you have turned me into a tourist,international espionage and adventurer." ~Desmond and Churchill

Please i am advicing you to comply with the bank so that they will tranfered this fun into your account. ~Rosemary

U.S. Passport Application - 50 Pages of Fun

The Peanut Gallery - Artwork Baits "DO YOU KNOW THAT SECURITY PHOTOS IS AGAINST HUMANITY , CAN YOU TELL A RESPONSIBLE MAN TO BE CARRYING IN FISH ON THE HEAD TO TAKE A PHOTO. CAN YOU DO THAT?" - Mr. Ferguson
TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^
By just saying repeating you are losing the thought of infinity. The problem is unsolvable because you have introduced infinity. There is no true end to the number .9(repeating), so in a way it is 1.

Let's examine 1/3's.
1/3 = .3(repeating)
2/3 = .6(repeating)
Since
1/3 + 2/3 = 3/3 or 1
and
.3(repeating) + .6(repeating) = .9(repeating)
Then
.9(repeating) = 3/3 or 1

The problem is in infinite numbers, You technically can't do math on them because the calculation never stops.

I am editing myself to make more sense, well it all made sense to me, but nevermind.
Edit:

To even add 2 infinitely repeating numbers or multiple an infinitely repeating number, you have to make it finite. That is where the equation is changed. For the above examples:

when you multiplied 10 times .9 (repeating) that would take an infinite amount of time to calculate. Unless you make the system finite, thus changing the system.

The same goes for in my example adding .3 (repeating) and .6 (repeating) would take an infinite amount of time. So you make both numbers finite and change the system.

In both cases you would round the number so .9(repeating) would become 1. .3(repeating) would become something like .33333 and .6(repeating) would become .66667 - .3 and .6 would be rounded to the same place as they are in the same set. By rounding and making finite numbers our calculations work.

pony Mortar x4

Last edited by TheGreatOok on Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peanut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So - clearly - math is wrong.

Thank you, everyone. For I have just disproved mathematics.

**extreme pompousness*

Wink

Sand TimerSafariSafari(Lagos-Benin City-Lagos-Kano-Maiduguri-Lagos-Calabar): ~2,696 miles,stranded for 11 days: "I am very grateful that you have turned me into a tourist,international espionage and adventurer." ~Desmond and Churchill

Please i am advicing you to comply with the bank so that they will tranfered this fun into your account. ~Rosemary

U.S. Passport Application - 50 Pages of Fun

The Peanut Gallery - Artwork Baits "DO YOU KNOW THAT SECURITY PHOTOS IS AGAINST HUMANITY , CAN YOU TELL A RESPONSIBLE MAN TO BE CARRYING IN FISH ON THE HEAD TO TAKE A PHOTO. CAN YOU DO THAT?" - Mr. Ferguson
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic