SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Computer help (Windows Update)

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dirteh Sanchez wrote:
On the Command Prompt (In Programs) Right click and select Run As Administrator.

You can then run CHKDSK quite easily.

Ok, cheers, did that, found some sort of error when I did that, see screenshot:

I then did CHKDSK /F command, but it can't unlock something called volume or another drive, and asking me to click yes or not to check on restart, click yes I assume? And once it has restarted the computer, download that Windows6.0-KB929916-x86.msu link you gave me, or do I need to do anything else before downloading that?

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Type Y at the last question (on the screen shot) so that it will run when you next restart.

The Norton Removal tool is a Norton product(!) which I carry with me. I could point you to it but I'm too lazy to search it out. It does more than the bult-in uninstaller and begs the question of why they don't build it in...

EDIT/ Ah nuts, here you are ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SymNRT.exe BUT make sure you want to uninstall all the products listed (some people might have Cleansweep for example)

Also try here http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=3132&rss and here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931212/en-us Apologies if these have been posted before.

Purple Flower

Last edited by GordonBennett on Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^ Ok, restarted and now on desktop, nothing appears to be happening, do I have to run the CHKDSK from command prompt again or is it supposed to start on it's own after restart, as it hasn't?

Got the Norton removal tool link, cheers:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

[edit]

Waited for a bit and noting happened, so I ran CHKDSK again and got the same results as before and asked me to check again on restart Evil or Very Mad, new screenshot:

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Chkdsk is supposed to kick in BEFORE you get back to the desktop - the whole point is that it runs when the disk is free of OS. You could try what Bill2 suggested: go to My Computer|C drive and right click on it. Go to Tools and ask it to run chkdsk. It will say it can't and offer to run on restart. Say OK to that.

The best way is to boot from an OS disk and go into the Recovery mode. As you don't have an OS disk you can download various types of 'Ultimate boot' CDs, but they are generally large downloads (20-50 Mbs) and I'd have to search them out for you, but RL is calling for now..

Purple Flower
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I just ran the command prompt again and restarted the computer, it is now checking file system on C: before it got to me logging in to get to desktop.

I didn't get a chance to read what it said on the screen after the scan before it decided to resart the computer again Rolling Eyes

[edit]

Ran command prompt again and now it says, Windows has checked the file system and found no problems:

I will go and download that Vista update now and see what that does.

Fo'andles
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Reading your first post this is the same problem i had when i down loaded the beta vista update from the microsoft site.

It seems your notebook has been preloaded with the beta version, hence no disc's and with windows automatic updates, that did the rest.

I would suggest that at start up, you go into safe mode, start, control panel, remove programmes and remove windows updates as well as making sure that windows updates are switched off.

Could also buy the full version of windows vista and try loading it.
Or get a computer expert in, but be prepared you might lose your work.
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
get a computer expert in, but be prepared you might lose your work

Then he's not an expert Laughing

If the system was bought with Vista installed, which is what I have assumed, then it won't be a beta version. Regardless, uninstalling all updates is a bit of an overreaction..

Purple Flower
Dirteh Sanchez
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scam Patroller wrote:

I will go and download that Vista update now and see what that does.

Let me know how it goes.
I must admit that so far I don't have any problems with Vista, most people who I talk to that are having problem are having them because of the elevated privilage need.

Killed Scammer Banks >200 (gave up counting longgggggg ago.) Jolly Roger x5 x2 Mortar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ DS, I downloaded the vista update from that link, it loaded fine, not tried downloading any Windows updates to see what happens, do you think I should to see if it's working again or just leave it now?

justjay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Personally, If it's working, why fix it? Very Happy
As long as it meets your needs, probably not.

Mugu Resellerpyramid Closed lad accountsAustraliaUnited StatesUnited KingdomNetherlandsSwitzerlandGhanaBelgiumChinaNigeriaSpain
Ivory CoastCanadaBurkina FasoSenegalHong KongSouth AfricaEuropean UnionBahamas, TheBeninMalaysiaGermanyItalyTogo|¿?|
Over 1000 - no longer counting since sometime in 2008 + #unknown# assists
WDPRs >150 Netcraft>115
----
pony pony pony - just because...
Dirteh Sanchez
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@SP.
I would just set automatic updates to Critical only.

That way any serious security problems are fixed. Just visit the Microsoft Update site (not Windows Update) once a month to see what has been added.

Killed Scammer Banks >200 (gave up counting longgggggg ago.) Jolly Roger x5 x2 Mortar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is a uk site for laptop owners, they might be able to help.

www.uktsupport.co.uk
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic