SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Computer help (Windows Update)

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

KD: I think have your lad set himself on fire would be more humane than making him run vista.

Reading this thread really makes me want to run out and buy some of that action. Smile

Actually what you are doing is rolling back the OS not a system restore. I have found that you get uncertain results from a rollback but I don't recommend a real system restore, in which you reinstall the OS over the current install. The couple of times I have experimented with this it screws up the OS so much I had to do a clean install.

It might be easier to diagnose the problem if you told us what you were doing just before the problem started and how it manifested. Just saying it worked before now it has problems isn't a lot of help. Luckily windows is so convoluted that there are many ways to mess it up. I also would not run update as soon as they are released. I wait a few months for M$ to fix the fixes. As long as you are behind a firewall and don't run every thing you find, you are fine.

Try turning off the virus scanners. Do you have multiple firewalls and anti-virus running?

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
Dirteh Sanchez
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=910336

If that Fails.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602/

( I don't envy you..)

Killed Scammer Banks >200 (gave up counting longgggggg ago.) Jolly Roger x5 x2 Mortar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SP that happened to me when I restored twice without recovering from the first restore. I think once system restore gets confused, it stays confused. That�s why I think system restore sucks. I can�t remember how I recovered from that error.

Sand Timer 8/11/07-12/15/08 i am totally a looser -Bruce The trophy machine

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

DrWho wrote:
I don't recommend a real system restore, in which you reinstall the OS over the current install

I can't do that anyway, I didn't get a vista disk with the laptop and didn't make on of those rescue disk things when I got it.

DrWho wrote:
It might be easier to diagnose the problem if you told us what you were doing just before the problem started and how it manifested.

I would tell you if I could, but I don't know, all I have been doing on the laptop is making a website and editing html files in notepad, nothing else apart from visiting eater a few times on it, so iI have no idea why it's doing this all of a sudden.

DrWho wrote:
Try turning off the virus scanners. Do you have multiple firewalls and anti-virus running?

I have Norton Interner Security 2007 on the computer, which has an inbound firewall on it, and there is also a firewall on my router, can't see any way to turn Norton off Confused

@ Dirteh Sanchez, I followed the instruction on that first link,it's the same as I did earlier, but I did it again anyway, now downloading updates again, no boubt it will fail again when it restarts,anyone know how to turn Norton off?

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I remember what I did now. I uninstalled every bit of Norton. Then did the updates and reinstalled Norton. But I think Go back was causing the problem not the Norton protection center.

Tech support told me to reinstall my operating system but that�s their solution to everything, so I didn�t go that far.

Edit: also note I was running XP not Vista.

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

After doing what Dirteh Sanchez suggested on that first link, the update said it was successful, I restarted and they failed again when desktop loaded sighhhhhhh

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Running two firewalls shouldn't cause a problem, just slow the connection a bit.

Quote:
i have no idea why it's doing this all of a sudden.
Judging by the above posts, You had the auto update running so the problem probably starts there. One of the updates either didn't work right and corrupted something or it was a bad update. M$ has been know for that before. If that is it then I doubt rolling back would help. The updates are still there. You could try to uninstall the past few updates, but I have never done that and don't know what can be destroyed doing it; and I don't know if it can even be done.

What you can try and see if there is a corrupt file. Not ever using vista I don't even know if this can be done anymore. Get into a command line window and run "chdsk c:" This will scan your drive for errors. If you find anything repair it with "chkdsk c: /f"

"To Serve Man"
Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Don�t you need the CD to run a repair? I know I did.

Edit: Wait that was chkdsk c: /r or sfc /scannow. One of the two.

Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

DrWho wrote:
Get into a command line window and run "chdsk c:"

Ok, tried that, and it says:

Quote:
" chdsk" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

Ididn't type the "", it just says that in the text it says on it.

DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I spelled it wrong.

CHKDSK c:
or as long as you are in the correct drive just CHKDSK

You don't need the CD for a repair if the install files are loaded into a directory. Some builders put a hidden partition on the drive with the repair files there.

"To Serve Man"
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Cheers DrWho, going to bed soon, so I will try that corrected spelling tomorrow and post the results.

kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

DrWho wrote:
... CHKDSK c: ...

Isn't chkdsk pretty 90's? I thought scandisk was the new way of doing it. Or has chkdsk been resurrected?

Whatever, I always preferred "chkdsk /f c:" because some of my software used to lose temp files along the way.
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

On my system, it tells me that "scandisk" is not a recognized command. Unless scandisk is a windowed program. I don't know. I still use a lot of old commands as long as they work. I think the older commands have had a long time to have the bugs worked out and are reliable. Command lines just seem better to me.

Yes, a 90s command. I'm just a 90s kind of guy. Smile

"To Serve Man"
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok, tried the CHKDSK c: thing again using the command prompt, and the output says:

Quote:
Access Denied as you do not have sufficient priveileges.
You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

I looked, but it doesn't appear to have scandisk" anywhere on the Vista start menu, so I can't run that either.

DementedAngel
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

that might be the root of your problems (no pun intended). Not doing the stuff (rollbacks & upgrades) as admin/root user.

Dunno how you go about loggin in as admin/root in vista, but i'd start trying that route.

QXT
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you bought the laptop, I assume you put yourself as admin?

^DA, one way to get in as admin, is to start in safe mode and then an administrator account appears. However, Im not sure if system restore can work in safe mode, or safe mode with networking.

I know what the problem is....its your damn toe! What the heck was it doing in the way of the chair??? Evil or Very Mad

"you punk ass foolish son of a bastard prostitute's mother, born to a villain of a robber and grand parents of the liliput lineage."
remmy223
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SP

post on here
http://www.webuser.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php

they will sort you.loads of geeks on there pal who do a good turn.

best of luck

you are bauitfull i will show the picture to my kid

Death man walking.
Click here to support 419Eater.com
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yea, I agree that could be some of your problem. I don't know how vista handles admin rights or access, but you have to be sure you have admin (root in adult terms) rights. In xp, in the control panel go in "users" and verify you have those rights. If your level of vista is crippled version like xp home is compared to xp pro you may have to boot in to F8 and select admin from the menu list.

"To Serve Man"
Frodo
Gone fishin'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Inquirer posted that quite a few people are having problems with MS07-040 patch - could it be related?

"Microsoft upgrade stuffed my computer"
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40985
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

SP wrote:
I didn't get a vista disk
For earlier OSs M$ would send out a disk for a (relatively) few bucks if you phone them - probably the same for Vista.

Norton + System Restore = Problems.

If you want a tool to take Norton off, PM me.

Also check in the Add/Remove Programs part of the Control Panel for updates that failed to install (I know it sounds paradoxical, but sometimes they pop up there) and take out if they are there.

Purple Flower
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Intersting article, Frodo, although I can't see any update file names.

@ Gordon, what tooldo I need to remove Norton? Can't I just use the normal "add/remove" to uninstall Norton from the computer, along with doing a search for anything called Symantic or Norton on the computer and delete those after uninstalling, then run CCleaner to remove all traces of it.

[edit]

It is the MS07-040 patch that is causing me problems, I looked at my failed updates, right clicked to view the failure details and there is a link to Microsoft for more details, which brings me to this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms07-040.mspx

Anyone advise me which update on that page I have to download to fix the problem? There are more than one updates mentioning Vista there Confused

[edit]

On my failed updates it calls the file:

Quote:
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, version 2.0 (KB929916)

On that Microsoft page link above, under the operating systems, it has 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0, is mine for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, it says NONE for downloads for Vista and Vista x64 Edition, but it says that 2.0 on the failed update, I assume mine is version 2.0 as that's what it initially tried to update and failed, or do I download something else Confused Or have they not written a fix for Vista 2.0 versions yet?

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Dark Spirit
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

First rule of windows, NEVER UPDATE Exclamation Exclamation
Best options??? install SP1 and SP2 when available and keep updates switched off.

Next use admin tools in control panel to switch off all security alerts, I am assuming vista has this too in control panel.

Using admin tools can be a little tricky if you don't know what they all do but the security alerts is quite simple...

System restore can be a bitch but if yours if failing to restore the some files that were there previously have been removed and that is why a restore fails...

read up on admin tools,,,,, it is not really difficult

EDIT
Quote:
I have Norton Interner Security 2007 on the computer, which has an inbound firewall on it, and there is also a firewall on my router, can't see any way to turn Norton off

NORTONS, in my opinion CRAP I had all the same probs with nortons too, Just delete nortons and get comodo firewall,, it is free and works too SmileSmile
Now whenever I see a system with nortons on it, I just delete it.

God himself wii judge you for trying to delay and make someones life a waste, Mother felicia, April 30th 2007
Thanks very much for fooling me ok and i dont have any other thing to say, Helimina Bright, May 1st 2007
Pleasantly, that we have understanding and continue intercourse, Elena USSR vlad, May 1st 2007
"read the stickies and the faqs." Newbie forum
pony
Dirteh Sanchez
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

Thats quite easy to solve.

On the Command Prompt (In Programs) Right click and select Run As Administrator.

You can then run CHKDSK quite easily.

Also go here

Download

Windows6.0-KB929916-x86.msu

Killed Scammer Banks >200 (gave up counting longgggggg ago.) Jolly Roger x5 x2 Mortar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Once you get everything up and running again, my advice is to get Firefox and use WindizUpdate. It gets the updates that you actually need, and does it in a much more efficient manner.
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

scandisk?My computer- C: (or what ever) right hand click properties tab[tools] and you can do what you need to do

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic