SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Computer help (Windows Update)

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can I rack the techie brains on here again, ok, the problem is failures when Windows update automatically updates, daily.

Since yesterday it has been failing to update the latest automatic updates that it is trying to install, I get different things happen:

1. Install failed please try again
2. Some succecced, some failed, restart
3. Updates succeeded, please restart, I do that, and then it says updates failed again. after restarting.

Any advice would be appreciated, the error codes on the failed updates are:

800F0826

Google gves a lot of hits for those, but there is nothing listed on the Microsoft site for those codes Confused

use the computer search hel function, which says this for error code 800F0826:

Quote:
Windows Update error 800f0826

Windows Update error 800f0826 is displayed when an update for Windows has failed to install and is preventing you from installing additional updates. Error 800f0826 does not identify the update that has caused the problem. The update that has caused the problem will display a different error. This problem affects updates for Windows only and does not prevent you from installing or automatically receiving updates for other Microsoft programs, such as the Microsoft Office System.

To prevent error 800f0826, you need to identify the update that is causing the problem (it will display a different error), fix the problem, and then try installing updates again. Here's how:

Click to open Windows Update.

In the left pane, click View update history.

Find an update for Windows that has failed to install, and then double-click the update to view more information.

Updates that have failed to install will display Failed under Status, next to the update name.

In the Windows Update dialog box, next to Error details, review the error code for the failed update. If the description contains error 800f0826, click Close, and then repeat steps 3 and 4 until you identify an update for Windows that displays a different error code.

Follow the links in the Windows Update dialog box under More Information or Help and Support to try to fix the problem, and then try installing updates again by using Windows Update in Control Panel.

If you could not find an update for Windows that failed because of an error other than 800f0826, or if the problem persists after you have followed the steps above, an error in another area of the operating system might be preventing you from installing updates. To request support by e‑mail, go to the Windows Update Support Center website.

Help and Support search term: WindowsUpdate_800f0826

I found this on a techie forum with a Google search, it was sort of related to that error code as a suggestion:

Quote:
Try installing the latest version of the Windows Update client:

For 32-bit systems, download and save to hard disk, and then install:
<http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe>

If this produces an error message about "Update agent already
installed", then execute the installer again manually, with parameter
/wuforce as in (at a comand prompt window):

WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce

I downloaded that from the Microsoft site and it loaded successfully on restart, some of the other updates failed again, most of the failures are Windows Vista updates or Windows Vista security updates, nVidia sound and vieo etc all load up, anyone got any idea how to fix this, and how important are updates, on my Windows ME desktop I have never done any updates for a few years.

[edit]

When checking the error code 80070002 you can open the help for that error code, which says this (I did what it says and still the same):

Quote:
Windows Update error 80070002

If you receive Windows Update error 80070002 while checking for updates, you need to remove the temporary update files that Windows uses to identify updates for your computer. To remove the temporary files, stop the Windows Update service, delete the temporary update files, restart the Windows Update service, and then try to check for Windows updates again.

To stop the Windows Update service
You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

Click to open Administrative Tools.

Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Right-click the Windows Update service, and then click Stop.

To delete temporary update files
Click to open Computer.

Double-click the local hard disk where Windows is installed, typically drive C.

Double-click the Windows folder, and then double-click the SoftwareDistribution folder.

Double-click the DataStore folder to open it, and then delete all files and folders in the folder. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the Back button. In the SoftwareDistribution folder, double-click the Download folder to open it, and then delete all files in the folder. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To restart the Windows Update service
You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

Click to open Administrative Tools.

Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Right-click the Windows Update service, and then click Start.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
remmy223
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SP

i never download any updates from MS as they normally cause that much trouble it just aint worth it.

to sort it out mate,do a system restore to yesterday and stop all updates.then
this will never arise.
this is MHO and probably others will advise the same.

take care

you are bauitfull i will show the picture to my kid

Death man walking.
Click here to support 419Eater.com
Dirteh Sanchez
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Try going to Microsoft Update instead.
Check what updates are trying to be installed.
If you have selected things like BitLocker and your laptop doesn't support BitLocker, then the update will fail.

Just a thought.

Killed Scammer Banks >200 (gave up counting longgggggg ago.) Jolly Roger x5 x2 Mortar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Remmy, can't do the system restore thing, I will lose all the work I have been doing on some website html files for the last couple of days.

A Dirteh Sanchez, these are the failures I have had today, just vista updates, all other updates seem to update properly:

[edit]

@ Remmy, I went to Microsoft update, and the page doesn't tell me anything about what updates are being installed, all the webpage says is this below, which is to go and use Windows update from my computer instead, the updates are on the image above anyway:

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
shuntbuzz
Illeterate pinhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scam Patroller wrote:
@ Remmy, can't do the system restore thing, I will lose all the work I have been doing on some website html files for the last couple of days.

You shouldn't. System restore doesn't affect user data files. Anyway, just whack them onto a CD or spare HD to be sure and then do it.

Mortar x7
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Shunt, didn't know that, thought it reset the whole computer to how it was at a previous date. Never used system restore before, is it complicated, I did have a look at it a few days ago, but didn't want to click anything.

Not got a CD and would not know what to do with a hard drive even if I had one, to give you an example, when I had my ME computer in bits a few months agao, I couldn't even see a hard drive inside it, not that I know what it would have looked like Confused

remmy223
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SP

i aint got vista so cant comment on how to disable the updates.
i stuck with xp.

MS is a pain in the rear

Death man walking.
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Remmy, it's simple enough to stop the updates, I just have to tick the box that says "never check for updates". For the time being, I have changed it from daily to once per week.

Dirteh Sanchez
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SP
Try this link
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Killed Scammer Banks >200 (gave up counting longgggggg ago.) Jolly Roger x5 x2 Mortar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SP

dont download any of them,it just aint worth the hassle.click never download.

system restore is a peice of p**s and a real good tool
click on (in xp)

start,all progs,accessories,then system tools.
just follow the instructions

dead simple pal

Death man walking.
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ DS, that page wanted me to download the same updates that Windows update keeps failing to update.

shuntbuzz
Illeterate pinhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, bay a cheap USB stick and put all your valuable files on there.

I have never lost a data file after a system restore.

All it does is revert the registry, application config and possibly some installs although that does seem to vary.

Quote:
would not know what to do with a hard drive even if I had one,

You don't work for our corporate IS service department do you? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Mortar x7
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just did a system restore back to yesterday (12th), restarted the computer and as soon as desktop loaded, up came the alert again saying Windows updates failed, and gives me all the failures for todays date 13th Confused Thought it would only show updates from the 12th if the computer has gone back to the 12th Confused

Damn, just rolled my chair wheel over my f*cking toe as I was rolling over to the laptop Evil or Very Mad, there was a message about the system restore, but as I had the update error screen open and had closed that, I also closed the restore message as the wheel went over my toe Evil or Very Mad, so no idea what it said, now hving to restore again, going back to July 1st this time just so I can view the bloody message this time.

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
remmy223
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

where there is blame there is a claim

Twisted Evil

bloody bill gates,sue the bugger

Wink

Death man walking.
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[slightly off topic]

Instead of "forcing" lads to get tattoos and thereby supposedly causing their untimely deaths due to transmitted diseases, we should get them to use Vista.

No, that would be too cruel. Wink

[/slightly off topic]
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok, now I am really pissed off, ran system restore again, computer restarts and what happens, I get a f*cking error message for the restore now Mad Mad:

Evil or Very Mad

Ginger Head
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@KD There's no need for that. You're just sick. Evil or Very Mad

Laughing

[also off topic]
I have a Vista DVD lurking somewhere around my computer, but it's not getting near it until other people have found the majority of the problems. I take it it's still too early?
[also off topic]

Last edited by Ginger Head on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
remmy223
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@KD

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Death man walking.
DementedAngel
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lol @ KD

@SP - In a way I wish I could help, but that'd mean that i've been through the same problem and gotten it sorted, which i dont wish Wink And so far I've steered clear of vista (even though have two licensed copies of it).

Only halfway similar thing I've been through recently was with an XP update that killed some drivers. Then a bit later they had an update to the update to fix it. Hopefully it's on MS's end and they'll get a fix posted soon.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SP when you restored the first time and it didn�t work, did you revert back to where you where originally before trying to restore to July 1? That might be why you can�t complete the new restore.

Edit: that�s why I use Norton Go Back. System restore kind of sucks. SP maybe you should consider buying Go Back considering all the problems you�ve been having.

Sand Timer 8/11/07-12/15/08 i am totally a looser -Bruce The trophy machine

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^ No mate, I didn't do that, I just went straight for the July 1st restore point instead. I have turned Windows update off completely now, except bloody norton keeps flashing a red cross saying updates are turned off, FIX IT, grrrrrrrrrrrrr Mad

Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Try undoing your first restore then restore to July 1st. That might work probably Laughing

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^ I just went to have a look at that, and the last 2 system restores will be undone and then I'll try the July 1st one again and report back later with the results, although I don't think the first restore worked either.

[edit]

BASTARD Mad, ran undo system restore and when the computer restarts, I get this message again:

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That might do the trick. Sorry I don�t mean to laugh. I know what it�s like when your PC, especially a new one, doesn�t want to work. Do you have a headache yet? If not, you will before you�re done.

Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^ See the edit on my last post.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic