SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Harry Potter - BOOK 7 SPOILERS OK (WARNING!!!!)

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That's a really clever theory, one that I was actually discussing with my girlfriend just before. It makes a lot of sense really, that Harry's internal battle with that last Horcrux is going to tear him apart.

I am not quite sure how that fits with the prophecy though - that only one of the two can survive, as if what you're suggesting is true then neither could survive without the other one surviving. There's a bit of a contradiction there perhaps?

Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ooh good point, I forgot about the prophecy!
I'll have to have a re-think Smile

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
jane austen
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@yrubraj I'm the girlfriend in question, actually Wink

My theory was that Harry would be a horcrux in some way, and that he would be the last one left. So for Voldy to live, he'd essentially have to take over Harry's mind, which fits nicely with the prophecy saying that only one can survive. There will be a massive battle, and it will take place inside Harry's head, in a sort of subconscious dreamworld place.

Harry will win, of course. J. K. Rowling has to do a bit of nasty stuff to her characters, it's what being a good writer is all about, but in my opinion she absolutely can't kill Harry. There would be outrage. He'll get his happy ending, but he'll have to suffer and fight to get there, of course. That's what books are made of.

I really want Hogwarts to feature strongly in book 7. J. K Rowling has the option of writing it out entirely and just making it a straight 'quest story', because of the events at the end of book 6. But a lot of the fun in the Harry Potter books is that they're like old fashioned boarding school stories, but with magic. And a dark lord. At least, the early ones were. The more recent ones have been a bit more complicated than that.

I also really want Hermione and Harry to get together (NOT Hermione and Ron! She's far too good for him!), and for Harry to become an animagus, maybe Ron and Hermione too. Basically I just want that because it would be cool, dammit. There's no real plot reason for it other than it meaning that Harry follows in his father's footsteps, and it would be conveniant for them, what with all that questing they'll have to do.

I am a member of literature forums where I can rant about this sort of thing, but why rant there when I can rant here? Smile
Simba
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

With all the parallels to Voldemort including the ability to speak parcel-tongue, it seems obvious that Harry is the final horcrux.

Remembering what the sorting hat said when Harry first arrived at Hogwarts..."Its all here inside your head"....

But who got to the FIRST horcrux.... Confused

Safari=Mr Yetonde-Sierra Leone to Accra
Safari=Mr Jiullus-Abidjan to Accra to Kumasi to Tamale
Safari=Mr Dandy-Abidjan to Monrovia-SSC Liberia
Safari=Mr Mandela-Jo'burg to Maun-SSC Botswana
Safari=Mr Danka-Dakar to Bangul-SSC Gambia
Safari=Mr Twumasi-Accra to Cotonou-SSC Benin
Safari=Mr Gomer-Lagos to Douala to Parakou-SSC Cameroon & SSC Benin
SafariSafariSafari=Mr Chukwu-Lome to Accra to Koforidua. Lome to Lagos. Lome to Cotonou.

Ivory Coast Nigeria Sierra Leone Somolia Liberian Flag Gambia South Africa Kenya Angola Flag Guinea Bissau Burkina Faso Ghana Mali cameroon Benin Senegal Togo
Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Isn't the first the Diary Confused or do you mean the initials RA.B in the locket?

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg

Last edited by Reaper on Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yup that's right. Tom Riddle's Diary which was destroyed in Book 2

Edit : Post number 419!

Simba
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, sorry, it was the locket that I meant.... Embarassed

SafariSafariSafari=Mr Chukwu-Lome to Accra to Koforidua. Lome to Lagos. Lome to Cotonou.

Ivory Coast Nigeria Sierra Leone Somolia Liberian Flag Gambia South Africa Kenya Angola Flag Guinea Bissau Burkina Faso Ghana Mali cameroon Benin Senegal Togo
Rintastic
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just my $.02, but JK, on her site, has said that Harry is not and will not be a horcrux. Which I assume means the scar. I don't think that people can be a horcrux. However, has anyone considered that the prophecy may have been one, as it was destroyed in OoTP? Something that came to mind during the movie...

Click here to support 419Eater.com

Musicians and people who like musicians: We've started a forum for the exchange of ideas and sounds for bands around the world! Come check us out at www.oblivioninc.com!
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't horcruxes have to be something that was in Voldemort's possession when he killed someone, so that he could split a part of himself into that object? Voldemort never had possession of the prophecy as far as I know (most of OotP is about him trying to get it) so therefore wouldn't it be impossible for the prophecy to be a horcrux?

I didn't know that JK had specifically said Harry is not a horcrux. Guess that theory goes out the window then.

shuntbuzz
Illeterate pinhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good

Overall as rich and complex a fictional universe as any by JRRT, Herbert or Niven.

Really good characters.

Quidditch makes for a highly entertaining PC game

Bad

The last book was insanely long and boring because her editor didn't reign her in.

I'm sorry but Dumbledore was a pillock for being soft on Snape and letting himself get offed like that - Gandalf would never have let that happen Smile

The whole thing with Doleres Umbridge just didn't ring true - no parent or teacher would let a silly cow in a pink dress torture students

That Harry Potter chess partwork I have to get for my nipper is costing me an effing fortune Razz

Mortar x7
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

shuntbuzz wrote:

The last book was insanely long and boring because her editor didn't reign her in.

You mean book 6? From memory book 6 was over 100 pages shorter than book 5, which in my opinion was the one that really needed an editor to reign her in.

shuntbuzz
Illeterate pinhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I meant 5 Embarassed

Mortar x7
jane austen
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Rintastic wrote:
JK, on her site, has said that Harry is not and will not be a horcrux. Which I assume means the scar. I don't think that people can be a horcrux.

Wow, I had no idea she said that. Thanks for pointing that out, now I can come up with more accurate theories. Hopefully. Guess I should keep track of things better. Did she say that other people can't be horcruxes as well? Maybe Voldemort could have made Snape a horcrux and taken over his head, which would explain the end of book 6 - although that whole idea sounds way too far-fetched for me. Maybe personal possessions would be the way to go. Some object Harry or someone close to him had kept for a while, with no idea what it was. Maybe something really precious, or just something really random. Horcrux sweatshirt anyone?

@shuntbuzz I completely agree about book 5. I keep thinking about all the trees that went into printing all the thousands of copies of that book.
The book is crammed with stuff. A lot of it's good stuff, but the fact is, there's just too much of it. And that makes all of it less good. She just needed to cut down on things, really really needed to cut down on things, even if it meant taking some good scenes out, because it would have made the scenes that were left better. I saw the movie yesterday and really enjoyed it. Naturally, they'd had to cut masses of it, to avoid the movie being six hours long - if only someone could have told J. K. Rowling to do the same thing! I want to be an editor when I'm finished at university, and I find books that could have been good if the editor was harsher really frustrating.

I plan on being a very cruel editor. For the sake of the readers, and the trees.
Simba
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

jane austen wrote:
Maybe personal possessions would be the way to go. Some object Harry or someone close to him had kept for a while, with no idea what it was.

We were thinking along those lines last night, and Neville's remembrall was the prime suspect... Confused

Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Snape Snape, Severus Snape, Snape Snape...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4&mode=related&search=

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

Easter Egg
Fat Old Catt
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

since Rowling bases much of her mythology on the old Celtic legends, the same ones that Tolkein and Lloyd Alexander draw from, I'm predicting that book 7 will somehow end with all magic vanishing from the world and wizards being forced to live as muggles. That's the way most of the celtic-inspired book series end.

Sadly, I absolutely loathe that clich�, but I saw it coming a while back. I hope I'm wrong though, and there is a glimmer of hope in that Rowling has claimed that she hadn't finished the Rings trilogy before she started writing the series, and she says the last chapter (the epilogue) was written all the way back in 1999... crossing my fingers here.

I was kind of disappointed when Harry and Ginny got together in book 6... I mean, it's an obvious choice, and sure they make a cute couple, but I was hoping Harry would wind up with Luna, since Luna is fairly blatantly based on my favorite anime character of all time... Ah well, there's still a chance Harry will wind up with her eventually... probably Ginny will have to die for that, though, which is a shame.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In book six, When Dumbledore explains horcruxes to Harry, he says that Voldemort split his soul into 7 pieces. Six horcruxes plus himself.
So, what are the horcruxes:
Tom Riddles diary
Dumbledore destroyed a slytherin ring already (his blackened hand, remember?)
The locket
And Hufflepuff's cup (according to Dumbledore and Harry's guesses)

Dumbledore says that there are probably two more and that thinks they might have been relics from the four founders . . doesn't know what the Ravenclaw one is, doesn't think Volemort could have gotten one from Gryffindor. (Dumbledore has the sword).
He thinks the snake, whatever it's name is, is one. . . .

I personally think that Harry is the last horcrux. If JKRowling says Harry isn't, perhaps his scar is. Too much just arguing semantics?

Edit: I've also been thinking about the title "Deathly Hallows". Hallow: to honor as holy, revere, etc. (as in all hallows eve. . . etc)
Dumbledore, James and Lily, Sirius et. al coming back ?

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011

Last edited by Ima Baeder on Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ima Baeder wrote:
... his scar ...

The scar is one of the first things mentioned in the first book. It will probably also be one of the last things mentioned.

I agree, the scar is probably the ultimate horcrux.

Just imagine the details of it being defuncted. Good for a few days in the infirmary and a kiss from his girl. Very Happy
Simba
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was watching the Goblet of Fire again last night and something mentioned in that got me thinking... Rolling Eyes

At the end when they discover that Mad Eyed Moody is really Barty Crouch Jr.

Dumbledore pushes Barty's sleeve up to see the Dark Mark and Barty says...."I've shown you mine (Dark Mark) now show me yours.."

Is he implying that Dumbledore was a Death-Eater....??? Shocked

josephglymonds
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Harry: I'll never join you! You killed my father!
Voldermort: No, Harry...I am your father.
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I read parts of an interesting book about the Harry Potter series today pontificating on what's likely to happen in book 7, particularly on whether Snape's a good guy or a bad guy. It offered some interesting points of the previous books where Snape had actually done a lot to protect Harry, and also pointed out another way of interpreting what Snape says to Harry after he kills Dumbledore at the end of book 6.

Basically the author says that if Snape does turn out to be a bad guy then it's basically saying that Dumbledore's an idiot. The amount of risk Dumbledore took at every step of the previous stories because of his trust of Snape would mean that he would have really been an utter idiot if Snape turned out to be bad.

It had an interesting theory of Snape being a polyjuiced version of James Potter.... though it did end up discounting this theory.

MHK
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
or do you mean the initials RA.B in the locket

It wouldn't surpise me if R.A.B. will be Regulus Black. That would tie in nicely into the story

Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think a lot of people thought that, but Rowling said it wasn't..

Easter Egg
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Wow another of my theories gone. I thought it was fairly well agreed that RAB was Regulus Black. Hmmmmm.....

Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually I could be wrong there is evidence to and against it being Black, this is why I thought it wasn't

Quote:
Rowling elusively answered the question "Will we be hearing anything from Sirius Black's brother, Regulus, in future books?" with "Well, he's dead, so he's pretty quiet these days."

Easter Egg
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic