SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Anyone see American Inventor last night?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jervis Tetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This show--hosted by Peter Jones [UK] and George Foreman, et. al.--is all about making a million $ on the next great invention...Yes, a ripoff of 'Tycoon' [w/ PJ] and 'The New Inventors', in Oz. but hey--imitation is the sincerest form of television. And a million in mazoomah is still good in my book no matter.

And we were presented with Michael 'Mickey' Osayi, 53, from Lagos. And are told that his occupation is "call center operator" and that he has invested 21 years and $11,000 USD into his 'invention'--a board-game called "SCRAMBLERS 10".. Something any sentient honest 6 year old could dream up...

It turned out essentially to be SCRABBLE, just done with number tiles rather than alphas. To the incredibility of the Cowell-like judging panel. And yours truly too. I immediately envisioned problems about that.

When asked if it was legal, he said "yes--I got my patent in Lagos Nigeria".. Oy, there's money down the drain...But he cheerily said he has applied for a trademark in America! Oh Mickey...Didn't have a clue that there are American lawyers out there just waiting for some idiot like him to come up with marketing something like a new soda called 'Cooca Cola'.. (Maybe even w/ a red-stripe-swoosh).

In any event he was given sage advice to drop his idea to avoid getting sued. PJ told him to try another dream, but the lad was adamant that he would pursue it..Hmm...'call-center-operator'--makes ya think twice..

"that one gave me the biggest stomach-ache--he has no clue what he is up against"---millionaire AmerInv judge Pat Croce.

What a FUCK, for doing this i will make sure by tomorrow i will be in Washington and send the FBI to pick you up where ever you are by all means just believe i must do this and use it as a prove that i am who i am. I give you just 1 hour to take my passport out from that page or eles when i get to Washington there will be no forgiveness just take my word. I will send all boxes and documents covering the boxes in your name to Washington and you will be asked so many question and if possible you will go to Jail with my power i PROMISE I MUST DO IT.
His Excellency Ambassador Dr. Kwame Bawuah-Edusei
luckey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I find that show to be very hard to watch. For starters, 3 out of 4 of the judges have never invented anything. The one who did cut the feet off of a pair of pantyhose and hit it big. Nice accomplishment, but I'd place her success on her persistence and marketing talent above her ability to invent.

Novelty rarely equates to utility. Of the inventions that get awarded patents, only a tiny percentage become commercially successful.

In my line of work I see my fair share of inventors. The thought process usually goes something like this:

I�d like to be rich. I heard about this guy who invented that stupid [insert successful fluke product here] and he made millions. If I can think of something stupid, I�ll be rich too.

OzzyFan
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I love watching that. When I saw that guy from Nigeria the first thing I thought was that he is scammer just because of that is where most of them I have encountered are from. Nothing racist or anything. Plus I love seeing people make complete idiots out of themselves.
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Jervis Tetch, My wife knows about my hobby and when the "inventor" said where his "patent" was from my wife looked at me and started laughing... Shocked

Laughing

Cool

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
Jervis Tetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ParaNoid and @Ozzyfan--Glad to see you both got a laugh out of it too.

@Luckey--
To watch these 'inventors' come up with a better hat, bicycle, toilet, pimple-zapper, or stick is indeed hilarious, rather than sad as you feel about it. Few there are out to change the world for the better, just to claim the cash. It mostly is played for larfs.

But consider the disabled young man who invented in his own garage a collapsible wheel-chair that fits in any auto. THIS truly is an invention that could truly change the world. ..In the mud one does find an occasional gem or two. And I think he might win the big prize, IMHO.

That a clueless Nigerian tries to put one over on the AmerInv judges--and the American public with a blatant rip-off was a classic moment indeed. And that he won't give up is even funnier! Wink

What a FUCK, for doing this i will make sure by tomorrow i will be in Washington and send the FBI to pick you up where ever you are by all means just believe i must do this and use it as a prove that i am who i am. I give you just 1 hour to take my passport out from that page or eles when i get to Washington there will be no forgiveness just take my word. I will send all boxes and documents covering the boxes in your name to Washington and you will be asked so many question and if possible you will go to Jail with my power i PROMISE I MUST DO IT.
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Who was it that said invention was the mother of necessity?

Anyway, I've got this great idea for a new board game Mugu-opoly(TM)...a bit like Monopoly, but with safaris, plus the lad never gets to collect any money...he just Go's.

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
Jervis Tetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Tommo^

perfect board-game you have in mind there.

My suggestion for spaces/cards on 'Muguopoly'--

LAGOS/ABUJA/PT HARCOURT/IGBO RR
GO TO JAIL--GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL FOR SCAMMING
WATER WORKS--WHEN IT DOES
FREE PARKING--FOR THE CAR YOU HOPE TO BUY WITH STOLEN FUNDS
MARVIN ABACHA'S GARDENS
PIPELINE THEFT--TAKE YOUR CHANCE
SAGBAMA EXPRESSWAY--INHERIT $2.5 MILLION
NETCAFE AVENUE---PAY OGAS 70%

And so on!

Last edited by Jervis Tetch on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^The currency has to be dollars.

Regarding the mugu counters...I thought a mangled racing car for the quick safari, the latest Reebok boots for the safari... the dapper top hat for the trophy pictures and to keep the sun off on safari...the Scottie dog, because they ran out of Yorkies.

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
luckey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jervis Tetch wrote:
To watch these 'inventors' come up with a better hat, bicycle, toilet, pimple-zapper, or stick is indeed hilarious, rather than sad as you feel about it. Few there are out to change the world for the better, just to claim the cash. It mostly is played for larfs.

Not sad. That show is basically about unqualified judges seeking to find promising inventions from a bunch of hacks. Harmless fun, sure. But it deepens the stereotype that inventors are a bunch of crack pots. For me, it's hard to watch, but of course, I don't miss it often. (My significant other hates to watch it with me because I yell at the TV a lot and it's hard to hear the judges.)

No doubt, there are great minds out there and we are surrounded by truly great inventions.

Jervis Tetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Luckey^

Most inventors ARE crackpots, LOL! One can only come up with so many new uses for a stick that will change the world that hasn't been done since the Stone Age.

But the real humor of course was the lad from Lagos, which I'm sure you would agree on... 'Mickey' was not only ripping-off an old patented idea, and didn't have a clue, but also was--sadly--arrogant enough to believe that the public would actually fall for it too. Essentially what the mugus try and do.....

Looks like Mickey will be back in the netcafe soon, but now--alas--telling potential vics how his idea made it all the way to tv. And he just needs some seed-money to make his dream come true [i.e., stealing more cash]. .....Sigh, it never ends.

luckey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Most (succesful) inventors are engineers and designers. Few of them would define themselves as inventors. But a lot of crack pots think they are inventors, and they stand out the most. Of those, most have invented something that has been around forever, or is utterly useless.

I'll keep an eye out for Mickey in my catcher. I smell an inventor bait. Smile

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic