SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Harry Potter - BOOK 7 SPOILERS OK (WARNING!!!!)

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The General Chat forum, which supposedly is meant to be for non-baiting related topics, seems to have been taken over by a lot of topics at least semi-related to baiting. So I thought I'd bring in something totally unrelated.

Harry Potter.

Move comes out in a day or two depending on where you are in the world, book 7 comes out in a couple of weeks, so I'm curious what people in here think of Harry Potter.

- Favourite book
- Least favourite book
- What do you think will happen in book 7?
- Are you going to see the movie of HP5?
- If you have seen it, what did you think of it?
- Do you think Snape's a good guy after all, or a bad guy?
- Will Harry die in book 7?
- Anything else....

Just curious for thoughts on the above issues. I'm a big Harry Potter fan myself, especially of the later books & movies so I'm quite excted about the next couple of weeks. Please don't feel as though you need to answer the above questions, they're just discussion points. I'll eventually share my feelings and opinions...

Last edited by Josh on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
FredFlinstone
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

the movie came out today for me

Cellphone (x4)

FredFlinstone = cool
Fred Flintstone = must die!
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The only people I've ever heard who criticize the Harry Potter books are people who haven't read them.

Those people usually have lots of bad things to say.

Everybody I've ever heard of who has actually read one (or all) is always full of praise.

I've enjoyed them all (up until now) immensely.
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah comes out today here in New Zealand. Booked my tickets for the 7.15pm session tomorrow night. Can't wait Very Happy

Rintastic
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A-ha, a topic I can really love Smile

My favorite book so far is Order of the Phoenix
Least favorite is Chamber of Secrets
I don't even want to think about book 7, I've only got 10 days to go Smile
I'll be seeing it at 12:01 tonight....can't freakin wait!
*trembles with excitement*
Right now Snape is a right C U Next Tuesday....he'll have to do some damn fine redeeming in book 7 to win my love!
I think Harry will die. JK has said over and over again that she has made the end of the story very clear. It can't be over if Harry doesn't die, right?

Oh I have to get ready....my Gryffindor tie needs pressed! Smile

Click here to support 419Eater.com

Musicians and people who like musicians: We've started a forum for the exchange of ideas and sounds for bands around the world! Come check us out at www.oblivioninc.com!
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Even though I love the genre, I didn't think I'd like Harry Potter. I thought it'd be geared too much towards kids. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised from the first movie. I haven't read any of the books so I don't know how close they are w/ the movies. I am looking forward to seeing the next movie soon.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
Dolores
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've read all of the books (except for the last one, obviously) but have only seen the first few movies. I don't intend to see the rest - I've a bit Pottered out and am not particularly interested in movies to begin with.

I'll read the last book to see what's really up with Snape though. Smile Good or evil, to me he's still the most interesting character. I would LIKE to believe that Dumbledore ordered him to go through with killing him in order to protect Draco (Dumbledore seems the type to want to protect ANY children regardless of their background), but I'm not going to be upset if it turns out that's not the case since it's probably not.

Last edited by Dolores on Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:33 am; edited 5 times in total
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@OxygenDeprived

Quod erat demonstrandum!

Just read them. You'll enjoy.

They don't bite, it won't hurt if you try.
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ rintastic

Order of the Phoenix (can we get away with saying OotP?) is actually probably my least favourite book. There are parts of the story which are truly fantastic, like the scenes at the Ministry of Magic at the end (which I absolutely can't wait to see as a movie), but overall I've found the book goes on for way too long. I mean it spends about 3 pages describing Harry's History of Magic exam at one point I think.

Nevertheless, I think OotP will make a really good movie because those overly long (and overly depressing at times) parts of the book would have been edited out, leaving what is really an awesome story.

Nice twists would be:
1) Neville Longbottom kills Bellatrix Lestrange
2) Draco turns to the good side and kills Snape (or vice versa I suppose)

Harry doesn't have to die, by killing Voldemort surely that would be a "final" ending?

Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

- Favourite book - Order of the Pheonix
- Least favourite book - Chamber of Secrets
- What do you think will happen in book 7? - Harry will kill Voldermort, Dumbledore might come back in some form, perhaps as an animal. Harry and Hermione will get it on.
- Are you going to see the movie of HP5? Yes, although I didnt see the others after I saw the first one.
- If you have seen it, what did you think of it? N/A
- Do you think Snape's a good guy after all, or a bad guy? - He's got to be a good guy after all. It doesnt make sense that Dumbledore would have let Snape kill him.
- Will Harry die in book 7? - I wouldn't rule it out. On Johnathon Ross when asked if she'd write more HP books, Rowling said it's possible she'd write more about "that world", not about HP. Careful choice of words...

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay

Last edited by Ivor Grimey Colon on Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Two people whose favourite book is Order of the Phoenix, how interesting. For my two cents I think that Goblet of Fire and Half-Blood Prince are far superior.

Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Can I make a request to our Harry Potter speed-readers for NO SPOILERS please?

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Fair enough request. No spoilers about book 7 to be posted. I guess there's no point in trying to hide what happens in the movie as everyone who's read the book knows about it.

My girlfriend's going to be very busy reading on July 21st, and I've booked HP7 after her, so if anyone was to spoil the ending I'd be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally hacked off.

kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

SPOILER:

At the end of book 7 Harry and Voldermort are seen sitting together in a gay bar drinking Pi�a Coladas, kissing wildly, wearing cut out leather chappies.

It's not a muggle gay bar, it's a magic gay bar, so you can imagine ... Shocked
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds like someone's read a bit too much fan fiction?

Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think it is a fantastic series and I don't really have one that I dislike.

I'm not a big fan of Quidditch, however.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It always seems to me that Quidditch revolves a little too much around catching the snitch. The fact that it ends the game, and gives a whole pile of points makes everything else a bit too secondary.

Furthermore, you can end up in the odd situation of a team catching the snitch but still losing, which happens in the books (even in the World Cup final if my memory is right) but is a bit of a stupid thing to do. Too much possibility for rigging the game perhaps?

OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Kleindoofy, I just have no time to read. Between work, kids, and trying to do my roof and then renovate my upstairs bathroom, I only have time to make the lads go crazy. Very Happy

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Following your earlier post, when I first came across Harry Potter I thought it would be a little too much for the kids, and I guess it's true that books 1 and 2 are aimed at the younger audience, length-wise and plot-wise. But especially from book 4 onwards these are novels over 500 pages long, and although they're easy enough to read the plots are complex enough to definitely be more than just kids books.

Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think the book comes out 1 day before my birthday

I think the best one I liked was either Goblet of Fire or The Order of the phoenix. I found the movies took A LOT out of the books, but they had to, to get under the 2 1/2 - 3 hour limit.

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes I can see already that July 22 will be a write off. I wonder how many "sickies" there will be around the world on July 23rd the Monday. I'm sorely tempted if I haven't finished it by then.

Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

OK, I need a good book and I will tell you I don't usually get into reads such as this but am curious. Confused Which one should I get? I hope not too hard to understand. I have read quite a few of Stephen King and loved. I feel if I can read his then I can get into anything. Cool

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
Dolores
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Corona

It's probably best to start with the first one, since you miss a lot of important details if you don't read them in order. Smile The first one is Sorceror's Stone in some countries and Philosopher's Stone in others, I believe.

Last edited by Dolores on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with ^^. While the first one definitely isn't the best book of the series, you'll find it annoying if you read them out of sequence. I read 3,4,5 and then 1,2 (and then 6 when it came out later) which did turn out to be a strange way to read them. However, I did kind of know about book 1 as I had seen the movie.

If you really want one though, book 4's my favourite.

Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks!
Will do and let ya'll know what I think. Wink

I don't even know what they are about. Embarassed

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic