SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

US Navy Officer falls for 419 scam..

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Da Mayor
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lt. who robbed ship fell for e-mail scam

By Gidget Fuentes - Staff writer
Posted : Friday Jul 6, 2007 6:30:14 EDT

SAN DIEGO � A Navy supply corps officer on the frigate McClusky who pleaded guilty to stealing money from his ship�s safe will be confined in the brig and could be dismissed from the service.

Lt. Milton T. Guy, who was the ship�s disbursing officer, received a 28-month sentence and a $14,000 fine after he pleaded guilty June 26 to wrongful appropriation, dereliction of duty and making a false statement, according to an article in the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Guy pleaded guilty and was sentenced after a general court-martial, said Walter T. Ham IV, a Navy Region Southwest spokesman.

The Union-Tribune, citing court documents, said Guy took the money to use as payments to collect a $260,000 inheritance he believed was owed to him. The purported inheritance, however, was part of an Internet scam pitched by a man named Barnabus, who in e-mails and telephone calls to Guy contended that he represented the Nigerian government and claimed he was handling the disposal of a $2.6 million estate belonging to a Mark Guy.

According to documents, Guy stole small sums of money, in total around $120,000 to $140,000, out of the McClusky�s funds from October 2004 to July 2005, and he sent most of the money to Barnabus although he used several thousand dollars to buy a laptop computer and to put a down payment on a car and a deposit on an apartment, according to the newspaper.

A May 2006 audit by the U.S. Pacific Fleet found that money was missing from the McClusky�s accounts.

Cmdr. Jane Campbell, a spokeswoman for Naval Surface Forces in Coronado, Calif., said that the Navy uses routine audits to help keep ship�s funds secure. �It is the checks and balances that we have throughout the fleet that precludes people from being able to get away with this,� Campbell said.

With the new Navy Cash financial system, the Navy�s ships are moving away from keeping large sums of cash aboard in favor of an electronic, cashless system.

�Navy Cash is a great new program that is being implemented across the fleet,� she said. �It�s the way now that we are keeping much less cash in the ships in general.�

Internet scams such as the so-called �Nigerian letter� are well-known schemes that have exploded with the rise of spam e-mails. Such e-mails claim that the recipient is owed large sums of money that require a transferring of funds before the full amount can be collected, and other scams include seemingly dire requests for financial help.

�It is incumbent upon everybody to be too cautious,� Campbell said. �If it�s too good to be true, it probably is.�

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2007/07/military_sailor_thief_070705w/

DEATH IS YOUR PORTION BEFORE 15TH AUGUST,SO RUN TO YOU PASTOR AND EXPLAIN HOW YOU MAKE MY FMILY CRIED TO HIM - Ab0tt C0le

Be good with your life and let your ass apologize to your fucking soul - Sgt Th0m Alen

Spain x2 United States Nigeria x2 United Kingdom x3 Benin x4 Belgium Ghana Flag Pakistan South Africa Australia

Closed lad accounts

Safari - Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso to Bamako, Mali (427 miles)
Safari - Accra, Ghana to Coutouno, Benin (213 miles)
shuntbuzz
Illeterate pinhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hahaha - I bet NCIS got involved Smile

Mortar x7
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
�Navy Cash is a great new program that is being implemented across the fleet,� she said. �It�s the way now that we are keeping much less cash in the ships in general.�

GI Joe somewhere between Iraq, Iran and a hard place.:"Where the * are we?
Terrorist demand : "The ransom is US$10M, and you call that a boat?"
GI Joe : "American Express?"
Terrorist : "That will do nicely".

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
According to documents, Guy stole small sums of money, in total around $120,000 to $140,000, out of the McClusky�s funds from October 2004 to July 2005, and he sent most of the money to Barnabus although he used several thousand dollars to buy a laptop computer and to put a down payment on a car and a deposit on an apartment, according to the newspaper.

reads more like swindler deceived

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

laptop computer ... car ... a deposit on an apartment

He is a thief, that got himself swindled.

justjay, prior USN enlisted service

Mugu Resellerpyramid Closed lad accountsAustraliaUnited StatesUnited KingdomNetherlandsSwitzerlandGhanaBelgiumChinaNigeriaSpain
Ivory CoastCanadaBurkina FasoSenegalHong KongSouth AfricaEuropean UnionBahamas, TheBeninMalaysiaGermanyItalyTogo|¿?|
Over 1000 - no longer counting since sometime in 2008 + #unknown# assists
WDPRs >150 Netcraft>115
----
pony pony pony - just because...
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A large majority of internet scams require at least some amount of illegality on the part of the victims, the Next-of-Kin scam being one of the most obvious.

Lads will often use this fact against them when the victim tries to back out of the deal by threatening to contact the authorities and revealing the victims part in the scam.

Just as a note of interest- a Lieutenant in the Navy is the equivalent of a Captain in the Army, Air Force or Marines. A Finance Officer would be required to have a Top Secret security clearance which is only granted after an extensive background check. At some point, not only was this guy deemed to be capable of holding a position of great trust and responsibility, but he was also good enough, and had the experience, to be promoted.

Anyone can fall victim to these scams.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

His 'inheritance' was only $260,000?? And he stole almost half that to send the lad (after skimming a bit off for his laptop, car and apartment)? I can't feel too much sympathy for a thief who gets scammed. Karma's a bitch.

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
Yastreb
Common Street Thawth Vergabon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

shuntbuzz wrote:
Hahaha - I bet NCIS got involved Smile

It would have been down to McGee and (perhaps) Abby to investigate this one - can't see Tony or Zeeva gettiing too involved (except for some smartass banter). Gibbs and Duckie would provide commentary on the limits of human folly.

May you never se the end of the year, May you sick and die in JESUS NAME AMEN.
MARK MY WORD, YOU SHALL FALL SICK, IF YOU DONT PLEASE WITH ME, YOU SHALL DIE OF THE SICKNESS, THIS IS MY FINAL WORD TO YOU
I HAVE PLACED YOU UNDER MY ORACLE GODS,
YOU SHALL CRY AND BEG FOR FORGIVENESS OR YOU DIE

United Kingdom x5 Spain New Zealand Senegal Ghana x2 Benin Closed lad accounts x 246
Safari x 5 - Oyenka Chidinma Lagos-Cotonou; Dickyboi Lagos-Accra; Femmy Lagos-Porto Novo; "Woody" Accra-Singapore; Henry Philip Abuja-Natitingou w/MG & DSW
Sand Timer x 7
Eight
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Laughing

Whether you sympathise with the soon-to-be-ex-Lt's position or not, the bottom line is that another scumbag lad got paid, and that is not good. Evil or Very Mad

United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Benin Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Nigeria France Benin

Avatar from sweethell ** www.ScamWarners.com - Victim warnings, support, advice & information ** Click here to donate to 419Eater.com
4X1X9
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It is quite worrying when you realise just how persuasive these lads can be. As already pointed out by Gnasher this guy stole over half of the money promised to him to release just $260,000 which is about �130,000. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't turn my nose up at $260,000/130,000 but I can't believe he thought it was worth risking his position for. As TSnerd pointed out this man had a high rank in the Navy, and as such I'm assuming would be on a very good wage?

You will have to munch the statistics of the transfer so I can give to them - Mr. James Hessom Hessom

If not that you only hide behind computer and be playing prawns with us - Benny Clifford

Pith Helmet France - Luxembourg

Closed lad accounts x26 - 2012 Closed lad accounts x258 - 2013
Closed lad accounts x263 - 2014 Closed lad accounts x160 - 2015
Closed lad accounts x204 & x1 - 2016
Closed lad accounts x177 - 2017 Closed lad accounts x81 - 2018
Closed lad accounts x85 - 2019 Closed lad accounts x9 -2020
(Grand Total Closed lad accounts 1,262) Golden Pig
Herb Sewell
419Eater is my life

Location: Atascadero State Hospital for the Criminally Insane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It is amazing how those 2 people came together - The Scammer and the Sucker. Who'd have thunk it ?
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think someone forgot a zero in the first mention of the amount of the "inheritance". See here:
Quote:
he was handling the disposal of a $2.6 million estate belonging to a Mark Guy.

Not that it makes any difference what amount of fake money the vic was chasing. As many do, he got caught up in the chase and betrayed people who trusted him. As TSnerd said; once that first step is taken, the victim is often in a trap of their own making, whether real or imagined. I can't in any way condone or forgive the things he did, but I can understand how this probably happened and why.

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

4X1X9 wrote:
As TSnerd pointed out this man had a high rank in the Navy, and as such I'm assuming would be on a very good wage?

This is from 2005, but a LT is an 0-3

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/pay/bl05officersalary.htm

So low end he is making about $60K a year. Plus he may have base housing and other benefits.

YOU ARE A CHILD OF SATAN WITH YOUR HUNGRY DIRTY BODY ,TUNDER FIRE YOU BIG HEAD IDIOT !!! HA HA HA HA HA

IS THIS HOW YOU DECIDED TO TREAT US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUGH?YOU MADE US TRAVELLED TO ABUJA AND INDEBTED US.

"Cursed is your mother that gave birth to a family-disgrace like you. Cursed is your father he could not control his lust for anything under skate"

"hey u crakhead motherf*cking nitwit, from the way u express the cockamamy sh*t that ur dumb brain is made up of it's so obvious that u never really made it past elementary school but anywayz dogs don't have to go to school afterall."

Pith Helmet (Lagos to Abuja)
Netherlands China Canada x2 United Kingdom Spain Ivory Coast Germany

Hello Kitty! <---in lieu of a brownie. TS
Mortar x8
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic