SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Problem with word on Vista

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Another computer question, sorry Rolling Eyes

When I click any link to open a word .doc document using the Vista laptop, it has some sort of problem reading it, if I open the same document on the Windows ME computer, all the tables, boxes, text and other stuff in the document are formatted correctly, Vista gives me a page load of crap text like this, interspersed with the text in the document:

Quote:
!1AQa"q2‘��B#$R�b34r‚�C%’S���cs5��ƒ&D“TdE£t6�U�e�„�
�u��F'”�…�•����������Vfv†–6te��„��u��F”�…�•����������Vfv†–������'7GWgw‡—�?'����‹ˆ���Lr�9•›-ƭ�‘�Š@�dV�€��f-���m!�
�����?"U�m������ǥ�}�a�™O��M�ƒxƒ‘“�m���}��š�‚G›����›��U����‡k�2��J�vF_K"��ŠqyžK�:4Yg��Y��.�
���:氽�_�{]ݰ��� m?„�T�oM4�����U-�X�Z����ƒ�C+Qs� ſ���]yN�6m,\���l�+��‰OS��€��f-�wjú��F��]�~•—K��.‹…€��/x:�6�ev:u{�“���,�c��9��n�>��Nx�W�jdb��g�g

I got that block of text by opening an image with notepad to give an example of what it looks like when opening a document in Vista.

Any idea why it wont open doc files correctly instead of all corrupted like I'm getting Confused, incidentally, it's the same on both Vista laptops.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
Dirteh Sanchez
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What versions of Word are involved?
I wouldn't think that the problem lies with Vista. Its the office install.

Killed Scammer Banks >200 (gave up counting longgggggg ago.) Jolly Roger x5 x2 Mortar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ DS, it hasn't got MS Word on the laptops like the proper MS Word on this desktop, when I got the laptops, they had a CD included with it for Microsoft Works 8.5, and that's what I have on both laptops, can't find any other Word things on the laptops apart from WordPad.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
Dirteh Sanchez
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thats the prob.
Get a copy of Word Viewer from the MS site.
That way you can at least view and print word docs.
Works can't cope with newer versions of Word Docs.

You can also download a trial of Office 2007 from the MS site.

(Another question, do you not have the Office CD you used for the Desktop
)

Killed Scammer Banks >200 (gave up counting longgggggg ago.) Jolly Roger x5 x2 Mortar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SP

do you think you should complain and send the laptop back and get
a new one

Shocked

you are bauitfull i will show the picture to my kid

Death man walking.
Click here to support 419Eater.com
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ DS, do you mean this viewer?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=95E24C87-8732-48D5-8689-AB826E7B8FDF&displaylang=en

Only it doesn't say it's vista compatible:

Quote:
System Requirements
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP

Nope, I don't have an office CD from this computer.

@ Remmy, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Very Happy

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
remmy223
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing Laughing

oh yeah you had a bit of trouble last time.

soz pal

you are bauitfull i will show the picture to my kid

Death man walking.
breadcrumb
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SP, don�t get me wrong, but we all (who are computer geeks) believe it�s a miracle that you ever made it online in your life Wink Laughing Laughing
(good for us, bad for the lads Wink Laughing Laughing )

"your papa, i do you ok, you do fuck your self off goodday" Hitman lad to Usm4an B3ll0
"fuck you and your mumu family for ever andv ever, you go die for bicycle accident this year" Hitman to Usm4n B3ll0
"once again thank you for the disappointment and arranged confussion." Barrister Ise
"Do you said am stupid" lad posing as Mike Pence
Postcount doesn´t matter.
pony Rolling Eyes (Admin Certified)
9x United Kingdom 2x Spain Benin Netherlands Nigeria Switzerland
Mortar x12
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

HA, I sussed it out, when clicking a link to download an .doc document, it was opening with notepad, so I changed it to works.exe and still having problems, finally managed to find the damn Works folder to change it to WksWP and now it opens fine, that's using FireFox, bolloxed it up in Opera and can't figure out how to change it to WksWP, it just gives an error when I click the doc link in Opera, how do I change the default as it doesn't give me an option now when opening the document, just the error Mad

[edit]

All fixed Very Happy

[edit]

The columns don't come out in the Works word processor the same as they are written on the paper forms I have, they do on Windows ME but have too many columns and not in the right places in Works Mad

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
A Skinner
Texas Lad-Saw Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You might want to try downloading Open Office which is a free program that is similar to MS Word. That should open your .doc files.

SINCE YOU MADE ME TO GIVE MY CAR AWAY AND ALL THE DISAPOINTMENTS YOU GAVE TO ME,WHICH MADE ME TO STOP CONTACTING YOU. PLEASE DO NOT INVOLVE ME WITH ANYTHING YOU ARE DOING WITH ANYBODY, PLEASE DONT INVOLVE ME.I DONT WANT ANYTHING THAT WILL JEOPARDIZE MY IMAGE IN THIS COUNTRY.I AM A HUMANITARIAN LAWYER.

infact am getting tired with all this speculation in this transaction, honestly if i had known that this is the kind of person you are i would not have contacted for an assistance

Urgent??? Impotent massage

* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Rumor has it that MS-Word 2007 (Vista) files are not downward compatible. I.e., they cannot be opened with earlier MS-Word versions.

I have been told this by someone who installed Office 2007 on a Vista system and passed on files to someone with an earlier Word version.

For me this is unconfirmed as yet, but it wouldn't surprise me. It already happened once, albeit the other way around: Word 5.0 (DOS) documents can't be opened by Word >6.0 (Windows).
justjay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Had that problem with friends new pc & vista. (and several others) And he tried fixing it. and fixing it. Not compatible. So convinced him best deal was switch to XP or redhat. Of course, he's techno-challenged so he went with straight XP. Very Happy Instead of a highly modified W98/XP/linux/personal bast... setup like I prefer Cool

Mugu Resellerpyramid Closed lad accountsAustraliaUnited StatesUnited KingdomNetherlandsSwitzerlandGhanaBelgiumChinaNigeriaSpain
Ivory CoastCanadaBurkina FasoSenegalHong KongSouth AfricaEuropean UnionBahamas, TheBeninMalaysiaGermanyItalyTogo|¿?|
Over 1000 - no longer counting since sometime in 2008 + #unknown# assists
WDPRs >150 Netcraft>115
----
pony pony pony - just because...

Last edited by justjay on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
breadcrumb
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^ This can be resolved. please follow this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&DisplayLang=en

Tried it on my machine (XP with Office 2003), worked perfect and I was able to open Office 2007 documents. Smile

"your papa, i do you ok, you do fuck your self off goodday" Hitman lad to Usm4an B3ll0
"fuck you and your mumu family for ever andv ever, you go die for bicycle accident this year" Hitman to Usm4n B3ll0
"once again thank you for the disappointment and arranged confussion." Barrister Ise
"Do you said am stupid" lad posing as Mike Pence
Postcount doesn´t matter.
pony Rolling Eyes (Admin Certified)
9x United Kingdom 2x Spain Benin Netherlands Nigeria Switzerland
Mortar x12
DementedAngel
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, without the patch, you cant open 2007 docs in older versions of office. 2007 docs even have a new extension .docx

You can save 2007 docs in a different format, of course. I'm thinking this lack of backwards compatibilty might be a handy modality (as long as you didnt provide any real info when installing it or have an easy way to strip your real info from the file)

DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I can't believe they still make works and send it out. It was crap 10 years ago and apparently it still is. I guess it is a stop gap measure for people who can't afford the $500 for office and sellers who want to have their customers think they are getting a deal; but they make it so you can't really use it.

I thought they quit providing it 5 years ago.

I know that the new word is not backward compatible. If you save a file in the new format, only people who bought that word can open them. A service brought to you by your favorite monopoly.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic