SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Should we tell the lads that we've baited them at the end?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Can you imagine telling all the Chucky's that they have been baited? banghead

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Doctor X wrote:
The whole Third Anniversary Safari bait is wonderful--imagine if 3d was told "LOL U got PWN3D" one or two years ago! He might be successfully scamming, and he certainly would not be in Singapore!

A good case there actually. I guess as long as you don't tell them you've baiting them you've always got that chance they'll come crawling back to you.

Obi-Wan Knievel
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is a great thread, and I've actually learned a few things from it. Personally, sometimes I just can't resist saying "gotcha". But I find myself refraining from it more and more, just to drag out the bait.

I think the consensus is right - a mugu confused is more fun than a mugu flamed in the long run. Unfortunately it's hard to get decent death threats from a confused mugu and that's why I started doing this. I guess it's the price of progress.

Call me stupid (many do), but I don't believe the lads can be educated that easily. They work off a script that someone else wrote, and we've all seen just how carefully they read their messages. I agree that we should never try to make them better at what they do, but I also can't see a lad doing much homework either. If these people were smart, they'd be hard as hell to bait and that just ain't what the evidence shows.

My two cents... if you have to let off steam once in a while, I say go for it. Nobody is going to arrest these people, and we can't kill them, so why not have a little fun with them at their expense!
callum
Director of Press Relations

Location: On the run from the asylum and this seems like a good place to hide. Blend right in...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

yrubraj wrote:
...but the lad still falls for it, and I guess that's largely because he's unaware of baiters.

Baiting is a foreign concept to lads. Not only do we try to keep it that way, but they are far to greedy to even begin to come to grips with the concept that some people might use time on the internet for any purpose other than stealing money. They can't see the wood for the trees, or rather the pointless (for them) safari for the imaginary money tree.

x 2 teeny part of a large effort Mortar x29 Nurse Nastys Audi TT x5
Trolling is usually symptomatic of bad character, mental problems or ugliness - RIP Jock_2009
Dolores
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Losst Jedi wrote:
Unfortunately it's hard to get decent death threats from a confused mugu and that's why I started doing this.
There are tactics other than telling them they've been baited that can work well for that... for instance, I got some lovely threats in a bait with Gomer Pyle in which the lad was in love with his character, and the character that I briefly played kidnapped/beat/attempted to sell his character into slavery. Very Happy

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ That's what makes baiting so fun, that they just can't comprehend the fact that you're not 100% legit, even though they're spinning lies left, right and centre.

DoloresOnTheDottedLine wrote:
There are tactics other than telling them they've been baited that can work well for that.

Take the Singapore bait that's going on at the moment for another example. All the abuse Ed's hurled at various people in the bait so far and he hasn't been tipped off.

I guess the first time I 'completed' a bait I told the scammer what had been going on, partially because I wanted him to think about how many of those other people he's talking to might not be legit and partially because I wanted some good abuse, which I had got already and didn't actually end up with more of.

A very educational thread this has been...

Last edited by Josh on Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Herb Sewell wrote:
The sad truth is that no one in law enforcement cares enough or has enough working brain cells to actually go after these scammers

Is that really what you think? Maybe walk a mile in�wait what does telling a lad he had been baited have to do with LEO Confused
Herb Sewell wrote:
�Confront the Criminal with the Evidence" until they give it up and confess. THAT NEVER WORKS IN REAL LIFE.

No really that DOES work sometimes. As far as befriend and betray�well that might work once. After which, the cop�s street credibility will be ruined and no one will ever talk to him/her again.

Sand Timer 8/11/07-12/15/08 i am totally a looser -Bruce The trophy machine

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
Doctor X
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Another thing to consider--if you wish to wallow in Lad Misery . . . and who does not?--is the baits where the baiter creates a "Lad" who "chopped your dollah!"

Imagine a Lad who gets tattoo'd, safari'd, pyramid'd--that reads wrong!--or whathaveyou--ends up owing $$$ to whomever who then BELIEVES he had gone through all of this work to get his "dolla chopped!"

THERE is a miserable Lad!

Then imagine chopping his dollar again. . . .

. . . and again . . .

Now if THAT is not sadism!

I edit to add I just listened to the latest call of threatening . Now if the screaming of does not pull at your heartstrings . . . what does?

--J.D.

Red
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just throwing my hat into the ring on this one:

I say don't tell them. For all the good reasons mentioned above.

Most importantly, if you tell them they've been baited they will know for a fact that the next time someone tries to pull the same techniques and tricks on them that it is a bait. If you don't tell them and just leave them wondering they won't associate 1TV5 or courier services with being baited, just with how they once failed to get the big score. It'll always leave them wondering and more susceptible. I would hazard a guess that the average lad gets more vics replying than baiters and therefore the idea that telling them they've been baited means they will be more wary next time and burn a real vic by accident is minimised (playing the averages).
Nyx
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Is it alright to end the bait by an imaginary insult? Telling the lad that I am deeply offended my something he wrote, or that my mother told me to not trust him or something.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^

Of course! If the bait is dead and there is nothing you can do to revive it, take out your rage on your pet Twisted Evil

A pet is for life, not just for Christmas, so keep sending off the odd insult. Sometimes you get great siggy material!

pony pony pony Easter Egg Goat Vcamera

Mortar x7 Closed lad accounts Thailand Canada

Safari Safari Wulugu or Bust Safari- Lagos, Nigeria to Paga, Ghana and Tokwari, Ghana X2-3800mi. "I'm leaving this bullshit area"

Safari - Accra to Cotonou - 430 miles

100% RISK FREE TRANSACTION

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't think I've ever told one of my lads that he's been baited - even when I've had a dopey photo from him which he obviously doesn't understand the meaning of.
I think the closest I've ever come, was by telling a lad that I was scamming him. Getting him to take photos but keeping the money that he was supposed to be getting paid for them. He was rather annoyed with this. In fact, come to think about it, I reckon he was more annoyed than if I actually told him the truth that he'd been baited.

So basically, if you want to annoy a lad, you don't need to tell him that he's been baited. There are other ways to skin a cat. Twisted Evil

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
Doctor X
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^There is the ol "A NEW Lad Come and Chop Yo Dolla!" approach. In the archives are a few where the baiter adds a new character who is a "Lad" who has "hacked" the e-mail of the "victim" character. He then corresponds with Lad and threatens to stop his e-mails and chop his dollar if he is not given a percentage. However it works out, you can torture the guy.

If he tries to haggle then suddenly the "victim" sends an urgent e-mail being told he was informed--"out of the blue!"--OMFG!!11!!--that Lad is "dishonest" or "suspicious" or something. So you can make the Lad fill out "more forms" and all of that. In FACT that is why you had to cancel the payment! So sorry!

If he complies you can make up some other excuse to fry him. You might even get him to share addresses of REAL victims that can be warned--PM a Mod on that one!--or even fake banks you can send to Alan to crush.

However you go . . . he is going to believe another lad screwed him and THAT will drive him probably more nuts than anything. Want to insult him? Get some of the pros here to help you insult him "in the native tongue" as the "lad." Call him the "small boy" and all of that!

Much more fun than revealing it to him. I think a real lad would hate knowing he lost $$$ to a rival than he had his time wasted. It is the "fish that got away. Maybe lad can send him picture of villa he is buying in Spain on the millions he got or something!

--J.D.

Orinoco!
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What do they say about the greatest trick the devil ever pulled?

Making the world think he doesn't exist.

I see no reason to inform scammers that baiters even exist.

Sry for gratuitous Usual Suspects quote Smile

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As so many baiters with greater experience and knowledge than me have already said...never let the scammers in on the joke that is being played on them.

There is always a chance that they will improve their scamming technique, and that is bad news.

If you want siggy material, well there are other ways to extract a death threat or ranting insult from a mugu.

As the song goes "419 is just a game, I win you lose"

Safari=Mr Yetonde-Sierra Leone to Accra
Safari=Mr Jiullus-Abidjan to Accra to Kumasi to Tamale
Safari=Mr Dandy-Abidjan to Monrovia-SSC Liberia
Safari=Mr Mandela-Jo'burg to Maun-SSC Botswana
Safari=Mr Danka-Dakar to Bangul-SSC Gambia
Safari=Mr Twumasi-Accra to Cotonou-SSC Benin
Safari=Mr Gomer-Lagos to Douala to Parakou-SSC Cameroon & SSC Benin
SafariSafariSafari=Mr Chukwu-Lome to Accra to Koforidua. Lome to Lagos. Lome to Cotonou.

Ivory Coast Nigeria Sierra Leone Somolia Liberian Flag Gambia South Africa Kenya Angola Flag Guinea Bissau Burkina Faso Ghana Mali cameroon Benin Senegal Togo
Doctor X
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Orinoco! wrote:
What do they say about the greatest trick the devil ever pulled?

Sry for gratuitous Usual Suspects quote Smile

You mean This?

--J.D.

GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There's no reason you lose out on death threats because you don't tell them you are a baiter.

A cheque mule scammer I unleashed a molten torrent of abuse at telling him how amateur and incompetent he was as he never followed my instructions - so I confiscated his money, so I told him. That seemed to upset him, especially when I did it a second time. There's also my dear friend Tutut| who is still on board. What he lacks in writing skills he makes up for in the warm glow of his intent. Very Happy

I don't have to tell them I'm a baiter to be rude to them - in fact it makes the insults more powerful, as they can't understand why you're doing it. Laughing

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
Doctor X
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^and that is one hell of a "trophy insult" in your signature from him.

--J.D.

Zen
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Losst Jedi wrote:
Unfortunately it's hard to get decent death threats from a confused mugu

I have never found it hard to make lads explode with rage. Examples...
Quote:
WE ARE WORRIED HERE, FOR THE CONSIGNMENT WILL SOON ATTRACT DEMURRAGE , IN OUR VAULT
Quote:
i am afraid i do not know what demurrages are but maybe you can spray the trunk with something that will kill the demurrages or stop them from laying eggs on the trunk is that possible? or maybe you should put some cats in there to catch the demurrages if they are big critters. but i think that if you are a professional outfit then you would never have let the demurrages get into your vault and i am surprised that this has happened and that you need my advice on what to do about it

and (in response to the catcher's feeble attempt to get gifts - eg mobiles - for himself)
Quote:
YOU SHOULD LOOK FOR A NICE GIFT ITEMS TO SEND TO THE MANAGEMENTS OF THE SECURITY COMPANY, IN ORDER TO REMOVE THEIR EYES ON THE TRUNK WHEN WE COME FOR COLLECTION
Quote:
i think that you are right and it would be nice to give some gifts to the security company to say thank you for looking after the trunk and i think you should give them chocolates

Warned you're writing to a scammer? Just say "Thanks, I'm a baiter" (ScamWarners.com)
419eater FAQ/rules: http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846
"Tell me what you want to do
And I can make it up for you
And lie" Ticket to Lie, by Texas
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I love the "Chop Ya Dolla" idea. An excellent way to end a bait if you're really getting sick of it I would think. Just send your lad the initial email of another Lad (preferably one that's truly stupid so we don't educate him into sending better initial emails) and say this guy offered a better deal and even though your Lad's done so much hard work for his money you're going with the other guy and you've sent him money after only 5 emails.

Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I confess I've been VERY tempted to burn my lad just to make his suffering complete but held off for all the reasons stated upthread. If the penny drops you might get a bonus death threat or two but otherwise it's best to let him swing in the wind until another baiter comes along to rescue him Smile

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think that because the first thing I ever did on this site was read Shiver's baits (perhaps like a lot of other people), and they generally included him burning the lad at the end, I figured that was naturally the way that people ended baits. Then when I finished my own first bait and posted it people started suggesting that I shouldn't have burned him at the end so I figured it would be good to encourage discussion on the topic.

Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm sure even Shiver made some newbie baiting mistakes at first. We all did Embarassed That't the beauty of this enterprise - we learn from our own (and others') mistakes.

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
Doctor X
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@yrubraj

Educational topic.

I, too, read Shiver's baits--annoying people near me with my guffaws. Anyways, at first he tells them they are fools. In his later ones, he does not. His baits ran much longer and more painful.

Like to think of the tattoo'd lads looking at their tattoos every morning and remembering "the one that got away."

--J.D.

Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread that baiting has "evolved" over the past few years and many of the things that were done in the early days, even by well-respected baiters, are things that would be frowned upon these days.

That such an evolution has happened I think pays great tribute to what a forum like this can achieve.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic