SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Article: A Web Cadre Turns the Tables on African Scam Artist

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
callum
Director of Press Relations

Location: On the run from the asylum and this seems like a good place to hide. Blend right in...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Send the idiot here and ask him who watching out of the human rights of the 25 people mentioned in the second to last paragraph.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/10/nigerian_murder_trial/

x 2 teeny part of a large effort Mortar x29 Nurse Nastys Audi TT x5
Trolling is usually symptomatic of bad character, mental problems or ugliness - RIP Jock_2009
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Like all scam-baiters interviewed for this article, Mr. Berry, the founder of 419eater.com, declined to speak on the telephone or provide a verifiable identity.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I assume you are now ex-directory since you were forced to move due to all the press, groupie and mugu attention. Laughing

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
a scam-baiter with the Web name of Scam Patroller, who declined to provide any identification beyond an e-mail address.

Firstly, I wasn't asked for any identification, and secondly, in his PM to me he said:

Quote:
Be great if you were willing to speak about how it works and how you got involved.

(Clearly, I would not expect you would do this and be identified.)

Contradiction huh, why say I declined to give identification, when you clearly say we will not be indentified Rolling Eyes

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
justjay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@SP - I think that's the polically correct language for you didn't "offer" so you were declining.

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote:
... the authorities hands are tied by lack of fund/resources, ...
Not by lack of funds! Just misspent on wrong priorities. Confused

But yeah, they probably don't like that it's done most of the time: more effectively at substantially less cost than they can do, and in many/most cases by people more skillful than they are, in their own personal free time (except thats somewhat of an oxymoron for some of the people in here), and gasp enjoyed!

Mugu Resellerpyramid Closed lad accountsAustraliaUnited StatesUnited KingdomNetherlandsSwitzerlandGhanaBelgiumChinaNigeriaSpain
Ivory CoastCanadaBurkina FasoSenegalHong KongSouth AfricaEuropean UnionBahamas, TheBeninMalaysiaGermanyItalyTogo|¿?|
Over 1000 - no longer counting since sometime in 2008 + #unknown# assists
WDPRs >150 Netcraft>115
----
pony pony pony - just because...
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Gorsh, this article made me feel real real bad for the poor scammer/criminal/opportunists. I have decided I need to write an apology letter to each and every lad I have baited. I will also give them my personal phone number, physical address and lineage as well as all of my banking information and credit card data. Rolling Eyes (first use of rolling eyes ever)

NOT! Shocked

I am going to go buy a case of tooth brushes and use one in each hand! Razz Very Happy

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
The False Italian
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
The baiters trade tips, tales and �trophies� on thriving discussion boards like those at 419eater.com, scamorama.com and aa419.org.

aa419.org is not a scambaiting forum. I really wonder if the journo even visited the site. Mad
Quote:
Mr. Berry once persuaded a scam practitioner to carve a full-scale wooden replica of an old Commodore 64 computer keyboard.

Only of the computer keyboard? Rolling Eyes
Quote:
�Given the scale of the problem, it is like the scam-baiters are cleaning a stadium with a toothbrush�

He obviously never served in any decent army or else he would know that it can be done. Cool
Saint Arnold
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thumbs up to Scam Patroller, Jason, and Shiver for this. It doesn't do quite as thorough a job of making us look like nuts transforming those poor innocent scammers into innocent victims as the last article that I recall being posted here. And this isn't turning into an ethics thread, so things must be looking up.

Eight wrote:
As for the toothbrush comment, Suresh can stand there watching me scrub my little part of the stadium and mock me, or he can get stuck in and clean a patch for himself. I really don't care, I'm happy that I am doing my little bit as well as I can.

That part kind of jumped out at me as well. This guy is a born supervisor - standing back and watching, "No, you're not doing it right", but not bothering to contribute anything positive. Kind of funny that he's involved in spam prevention at Outblaze.... how about a little less on the toothbrush analogies, a little more get the hell to work???

Our legal team are on standby for the next line of action in this very interesting case.already they are still studying the MTCN number that you sent,it will be used as evidence together with your full names and address,when this epic battle commences. - the one and only Charles Soludo

--------------------------
Cellphone x15 (RIP) United Kingdom x7 South Africa x1
Safari Lottery lad, Benin City - Abuja Safari A new minister, Lagos-Benin City Safari The same minister, Lagos - Tamale, Ghana
Safari Dr. Johnson - Abidjan-Abuja and back again (so far! - 1666 miles round trip)

pony <----because life can seem bleary and bleak without one. TS
pony Because Lotta is a great and beautiful mod!
Mortar x21
B. A. Ware
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If we're taking things out of context, then lets do it right.

Thomas Crampton also wrote:
A special thanks to my colleagues on the business side of the newspaper for making all that money in order for me to go spend it.

Here: http://thomascrampton.com/

So is he a scammer?
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The False Italian wrote:
aa419.org is not a scambaiting forum. I really wonder if the journo even visited the site. Mad

I noticed that bit myself. He either didn't visit the site at all, visited but had no idea what he was looking at, or thinks we are speaking in tongues about baiting over there. Rolling Eyes

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Tommo Shanter wrote:
I quit, as obviously I'm wasting my time here

Make sure you leave your avatar Very Happy

Purple Flower
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@TFI and SF- the aa419.org thing was one of the other bits that had me laughing.

Actually most of the article amused me, but I didn't see a need to break it down sentence by sentence.

This is why I'll never talk to a journo for a major paper- they all feel the need to sex everything up instead of just reporting the facts or even bothering to do the research.

Hopefully he's reading this thread.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

SlayerFaith, your speaking in tongues comment made me laugh. I had noticed the aa419 misrepresentation too. I wish that if he was going to mention the site, he would mention what really is happening there. No mention of shutting down illegal/fraudulent sites. Too bad.

While everyone is nitpicking the article, I'll contribute that I didn't like the "scam the scammers" comment at the beginning. A scam is a fraudulent scheme to make a profit. I haven't made a single cent scambaiting or writing abuse reports. Is there some payroll form around here that I need to fill out? Wink Laughing

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
valachus
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Bah, that was quite predictable from the press folks. Having personal experience about dealing with them in similar circumstances (providing minoritary and unorthodox opinions to them on various topics), there are several things to be said about them:

a) most of them are basically clueless, writing articles about issues that dumbfound them via simply coroborating what A says with what B says. The end result (what appears in the newspaper) is filtered through the criteria of the newsguy and can be equally discombobulating for both A and B Smile

b) most of the time, they perceive any personalized response from representative of any authority as sign of respect for them - thus, they're much more likely to listen to them and concur with their opinion, especially if it fits their preconceptions;

c) the Interpol guy is just a perfect incarnation of the "letter of the law above the spirit of the law" mentality that abounds in Europe; his response made me think about the recent EC initiative - http://www.eubusiness.com/news_live/1177084812.43 - to notify various individuals and organizations like Khalid Sheikh Mohammed or al Aqsa Brigades that they're on the terror list - http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/en/oj/2005/l_314/l_31420051130en00410045.pdf - so that they can challenge the inclusion at HRC

d) it's quite possible that some bored, unoccupied local LEOs could turn an eye on scambaiters, especially in Europe - after all, we are closer to them than the scammers, and our activities actually could be seen as ...worthy of a thorough investigation, to say the least, and even moreso if there might be media support behind such ideas - so beware.

e) it was just a matter of time until such opinions about scambaiting surfaced in the press - this is a NYT piece after all, get used to it and expect more.

Regards,
valachus

"What would you expect me to explain to the monogram if they happen to arrest my secretary?"
"traveling to Switzerland to Norway will take you only 1hrs 30munite to Switzerland if you decide to travel by train"
Ad@m Willi@m, diplomat: "You can not play with my intelligence. I am very sharp. Nobody can play with me."
Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wonder how they would feel if a member of their family got scammed for almost all or all of their money, would he have those exra special "human rights" in their eyes then?

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg
JohnSmiththe56th
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with the media sorry but they do have human rights sure there not the best people in the world but they do have rights, like security cucumbers? Thats a bit low dont you think? and I think their right, your really only doing such a small part in this huge scamming industry, I mean the "lad" might be "scamming" you but if you take 5, 10 even more of them then they might as well and you might not really be wasting there time, they just move on to the next person in their inbox?
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome.

Quote:
they just move on to the next person in their inbox

Which will be another baiter. Very Happy Read some more before you jump to any conclusions on lads or baiters. Lads also have the right not to do any of the stupid stuff.

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
DuraLex
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
security cucumbers

They are free not to use security cucumbers, just as you are free to send them money/cucumbers, if you like.

The guys with the cucumbers in their face are dangerous criminals. They would rob your granny of her last bottom dollar, defraud her of her mortgage and inheritance, get her to fly over to Nigeria, threaten to kill her for ransom, and set her ablaze while she's still alive. Yep, happened. Still unsure about security cucumbers?

"stupid job baiter. rot for hell demon scum"-Danny the Internet Hitman
"Listen to me mr , you have also insulted mr personalty and you have also misspelled mr name , am nor santana,santodo my name is prof charles soludo."
Visit the Duralex Internet Experience. Baits and tutorials go here.
Big thanks to JMRazor for the orange title!
TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Is this article drawing people out of the woodworks? We have this guy sticking up for thieves and murderers and over in main, two people questioning if the 3d bait is real. Does this commonly happen after an article like this?

"I knew rigth from the first time you sent email to me that,you are a bloody *DELETED*" - Sgt Daniel Vess
"I NO BLAME U NA DI DIRTY TOTO WEN BORN U NA IM I BLAME. CATBINGO" - Lee Wong
"I AM EQUAL TO A MENTAL RETARDED PERSON" - Alvan Ben
"You have pushed me to the wall and i will make you smell yourself i bet." - George Martins
"THE FOOL STOLE YOUR US$755, HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO LEAVE ON THE PLANET" - Jim Ovia

pony pony - for a perfect brown nosing job. Wink

pony Mortar x4
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteSkype Name
JohnSmiththe56th
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well then maybe I should contact them and team up, rebels united!
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@TGO,
Yes, quite normal. Some people just don't agree with baiting and that's that. It's only opinion.
Usually though an article that includes a link to this site draws in more potential baiters than trolls, so all's well.

Bye John. Wink

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman

Last edited by windypops on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuraLex
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Go ahead, do your worst. I have a charity you can join, it only requires you to fill out a buttload of forms and stuff but I don't believe it requires security cucumbers (yet). I'll WU you some money to get you started.

Hey, I got a good idea, put Barrister in fromt of your name. The lads will believe you if you do.

"stupid job baiter. rot for hell demon scum"-Danny the Internet Hitman
"Listen to me mr , you have also insulted mr personalty and you have also misspelled mr name , am nor santana,santodo my name is prof charles soludo."
Visit the Duralex Internet Experience. Baits and tutorials go here.
Big thanks to JMRazor for the orange title!
Mr Fishe
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

JohnSmith, since all the points you raise have been covered many times on this board (and indeed in this very thread), please take some time to read through the site to understand what we do. Let�s keep this thread on topic.

Magic eye fun: Western Union MoneyGram
Pre-transfer red tape: Department of Homeland Security HM Revenue & Customs
Mandatory customer survey: Western Union

"I have decided to leave the church and join a travelling circus..." - the original and best
JohnSmiththe56th
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

durel I meant the other "trolls" not scammers
Mr Fishe
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bye John.

Back on topic please.

Magic eye fun: Western Union MoneyGram
Pre-transfer red tape: Department of Homeland Security HM Revenue & Customs
Mandatory customer survey: Western Union

"I have decided to leave the church and join a travelling circus..." - the original and best
valachus
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

JohnSmiththe56th, you're a naive. You may think that 419ing is a harmless activity, and that the lads can't possibly be that stupid, or dangerous. Of course, you're free to check that at your own risk, taking a flight to Abuja or Abidjan, or Johannesburg even, and see after you meet them how they'll treat you.

Will you be having a pint of ale and laugh together, or will you end up as a hostage for a ransom that all your family's assets put together will never cover? Handling dangerous criminals with velvet gloves and giving them the benefit of doubt is irresponsible.

Clarification: I've knew about scambaiting for some while but just got the hang of it for a few months. Since then, I've posed as a helpless granny biding her pension for a heart procedure, as a kidnapped, drugged and raped victim of 419ers, and always the response was to the tune of "well send the money for the trunk/next procedure and everything will be alright".

Hell, my kidnap victim was even contacted by a "Gh@n@ Army General" in charge of 419 frauds, surely sooner or later he's gonna be asked to fork over some more money or even go there and settle matters definitively.

I have no compassion whatsoever for the benign tasks these bastards are put through (their end goal is to chop someone else's money), and neither should any cogent, reasonable person on this earth.

"What would you expect me to explain to the monogram if they happen to arrest my secretary?"
"traveling to Switzerland to Norway will take you only 1hrs 30munite to Switzerland if you decide to travel by train"
Ad@m Willi@m, diplomat: "You can not play with my intelligence. I am very sharp. Nobody can play with me."
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic