SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Do you understand a language you cannot speak?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Eliza_Doolittle
"Warned for lad hugging"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have so many Italian friends, and I hear Italian all the time. I cannot speak it, and I can read a little bit of it, however, I seem to understand it. It was just brought to my attention that I need to learn Italian. I asked why, and a friend pointed out that in a conversation I just had with another friend - the other friend hardly spoke any English to me yet I understood and responded to everything she said (in Italian) in English. I have been not even noticing when they begin to speak Italian. This isn't even the first time this has happened - a lady that I had just met a few weeks ago said that she thought she had forgot her purse in her chair at a restaurant. I said, "I'll go back in and get it for you." She then asked my friend if I was Italian. Anyway, things like this have been happening lately - so I am realizing I understand a lot of the language but can't speak it Sad

Now what about you - am I the only weird person out here?

vLad's ebay auction states "Wonderful seller! Thinks "out of the box" to get item to you."
<br>
starstar Ghana Easter Egg 2013

Vcamera <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrsRobinson419"> Click to see the videos Ed sent me.</a><br>
<A href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/index.html"> Eliza's lad quotes, photos, and audio files</a>
Mortar x12
*this sig icon has been censored* <br><a href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/809104_ML.pdf" > click here</a> for a Bank Account Transfer Form.
Golden Pith
benjaminbunny
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think you probably know more of the language than you realise Very Happy Probably most people understand a few words and guess the rest from the context/tone/gesticulations/facial expressions (well I do anyway Very Happy )

Scamwarners.com Advice and info about scams
Jolly Roger pony
Dionysius
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was slowly picking up Russian like that. I had no idea what precisely was being said but if I went by 'gut reaction' to the tone, situation and that I could guess.

RIP - Lad vampire and muguito were the gifts that kept on leeching. Greatly missed.

Information about Scams and their effects with great trophies - http://www.scam-info-links.info/ from Scam Patroller - http://www.romancescambaiter.com/ from wayne
TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I lived in Juarez, Mexico for a month. By the time I left there, I was the same way Eliza. I could understand what was being said but could only speak asi-asi (so-so). Now that I am back in the states, and have been for several years. I can barely understand slow conversational speak.

"I knew rigth from the first time you sent email to me that,you are a bloody *DELETED*" - Sgt Daniel Vess
"I NO BLAME U NA DI DIRTY TOTO WEN BORN U NA IM I BLAME. CATBINGO" - Lee Wong
"I AM EQUAL TO A MENTAL RETARDED PERSON" - Alvan Ben
"You have pushed me to the wall and i will make you smell yourself i bet." - George Martins
"THE FOOL STOLE YOUR US$755, HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO LEAVE ON THE PLANET" - Jim Ovia

pony pony - for a perfect brown nosing job. Wink

pony Mortar x4
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteSkype Name
Alcathiax
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have lived almost all my life in Central and South American countries so I had to learn to at least read and understand spoken Spanish. Although my ability to communicate in Spanish is rudimentary at best, I can easily gain information about the world around me in either Spanish or English.

Funny part about me: I am 0% Hispanic myself! Laughing

[hijack] So Eliza, are you ever gonna appear on the Facebook? Wink [/hijack]

TheGreatOok wrote:
I lived in Juarez, Mexico for a month.

I am currently living in Juarez (actually, Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico)! Smile

"If it 'aint Boeing, I ain't going!"

"A lawyer with a briefcase can steal more than a thousand men with guns." - Mario Puzo. Obviously, Mario hasn't seen the Yahoo Yahoo Bois (tm) yet! Very Happy

Last edited by Alcathiax on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
HellRyder
Pale Tracker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When I was a kid, relatives from France would visit every summer... I could understand and converse them without mastering the language...

United Kingdom x2 United States x2 Nigeria
Mortar 's
Closed lad accounts 's

Pith Helmet ARK: Tamale (Ghana) - Porto Novo (Benin): "it is a Hollywood movie"

Get your ninja sword and throwing stars here
NO MENTOR & NEW TO BAITING? Here's how to do it!
The Terminator
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

benjaminbunny wrote:
I think you probably know more of the language than you realise.
Probably most people understand a few words and guess the rest
from the context/tone/gesticulations/facial expressions.

That is exactly how I am learning Dutch. My wife and I have friends
in Holland, and we are trying to learn the language .... Smile

We listen to them speak, look at their newspapers, especially ads with
pictures, and the words under, and their news programs on TV.

I want to assure you that this transaction is legal, I have contacted my attorney and also
my boss Mr Mikhail Khodorkovsky who has recently been imprisoned .... Mr. Igor Ivanov

x4 - Number of lads presenting me forged police documents

I want a rose .... Sad
Don't be sad, here's a rose for you-lotta .... Pretty Rose
Thank You Lotta - I Shall Cherish It Forever .... Smile
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My father is from Germany and we have many native German friends. I can understand it to a limited degree (I did take one year of it in High School, but I studied French all the way through college and lived there, so I'm semi-fluent in French).

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
callum
Director of Press Relations

Location: On the run from the asylum and this seems like a good place to hide. Blend right in...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Eliza_Doolittle wrote:
Now what about you - am I the only weird person out here?

If that was posted on any other site the answer would be yes. But this is eater... Very Happy

Portugese of the Brasilian variety.

x 2 teeny part of a large effort Mortar x29 Nurse Nastys Audi TT x5
Trolling is usually symptomatic of bad character, mental problems or ugliness - RIP Jock_2009
justjay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Can understand some spoken Spanish and Portuguese (with the help of alcohol + ) from being/living at times in Spain and Portugal and Brazil and a few related-language countries.

A little Dutch written and less spoken. A lady friend in Spain was from Holland.

Mugu Resellerpyramid Closed lad accountsAustraliaUnited StatesUnited KingdomNetherlandsSwitzerlandGhanaBelgiumChinaNigeriaSpain
Ivory CoastCanadaBurkina FasoSenegalHong KongSouth AfricaEuropean UnionBahamas, TheBeninMalaysiaGermanyItalyTogo|¿?|
Over 1000 - no longer counting since sometime in 2008 + #unknown# assists
WDPRs >150 Netcraft>115
----
pony pony pony - just because...
Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

When I went to Germany and Switzerland to visit my relies for about 1 month and a half or basically the entire school holidays I started to pick up on the German with out being able to speak it.

But I HATE French, hate it, well just the teacher, hate her....control freak French teacher..hater her...hate..

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg
Standard Procedure
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have only a few Pakistani friends and I never learned how to speak Urdu, but when they are talking together, I can sometimes understand a few things they are saying and I end up responding to them in English.

The following statement is true
The above statement is false
battery
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There's a few Chinese dialects I can understand perfectly well but can't speak. I have trouble understanding Shanghai dialect and Cantonese though. In the case of Fujian dialect I'm lucky if I can catch a single word.

DONATE
---

I don't deserve a pony Sad

of course you deserve a pony-lotta Very Happy
pony pony pony
lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I understand a lot of Greek yet speak very little.
Basic things in spanish I understand.
Dutch I understand rather well but don't speak it.

I can figure out very basic things written in Swedish, Finnish and Danish but cannot understand when people speak those languages to me. Laughing

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey

Last edited by lotta on Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Standard Procedure
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

lotta wrote:
I can figure out things written in Swiss, Finnish and Danish but cannot understand when people speak those languages to me. Laughing

At the risk of looking like a pedant but ahem? When was "Swiss" a language Laughing

The following statement is true
The above statement is false
pwwbear
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I can understand French orally, but I am better at reading it and understanding it.

In the Great white north all the packages have bilingual labels by law, so I guess all those years of studying the back of the cereal boxes, en francais, paid off.

I did study French for one semester in school, but all I got out of it was a reputation as a poor speller in both official languages.

TRY AND PUT THIS ARTICLE OF MINE ON U'R 419EATERS CLUB...TELL U'R SITE FRIENDS THAT I GOT U N THEM IN A STREET OF GAME FIGHT...I AM WAITING FOR YOU GUYS TO DO WHAT U THINK U WANT TO DO TO ME - rev. botchway
Click here to support 419Eater.com
lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Standard Procedure wrote:
At the risk of looking like a pedant but ahem? When was "Swiss" a language Laughing

You're right Laughing

That should be either french or german. I meant to type Swedish.

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

un poco Espa�ol

un peu du Fran�ais

It was interesting that 10 years ago when I traveled to Europe with my daughter. A merchant in a French shop thought we were Dutch (must have been my French proficiency... or my English...) Laughing

EDIT: forgot Capital letters.

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com

Last edited by ParaNoid on Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Luther Blissett
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

TheGreatOok wrote:
Now that I am back in the states, {...} I can barely understand slow conversational speak.

Yeah, this also happened to me when I went there a while ago... Wink

@Eliza: I think there's something about Italian that lends itself to picking it up easily over time. I used to live with a flatmate who had an Italian boyfriend who spoke almost no English. He would tell me elaborate stories about his day in Italian and after being exposed to it regularly for some time, I could actually understand the gist of what he was saying most times.

Banks: Ivory Coast Netherlands United Kingdom Ghana United Nations x1 Nigeria x2 Law Firms: South Africa United Kingdom Nigeria x1 Misc. Mugu Pooh: United Kingdom China x1 United Nations x2 HYIPs: pyramid x25 Phonelad Websites: Cellphone x6

Donate the Nurse, the Eater needs Pants... Err? * Scamwarners.com * Artists against 419 * Kill HYIPs & Ponzi Scams!
lucky777
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Cantonese -- My whole family spoke Cantonese (except me and my brother). I would listen to what they said in Cantonese, and I would respond in English. Needless to say, everyone had a hard time understanding me -- except my dad, he knows Engrish. Laughing
Don
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

benjaminbunny wrote:
gesticulations

Gesticulations? Italians? naaaaahhhh Laughing

Italian actually shares quite a few words with English, like everything that will end on "-tion", like nation - nazione, action - azione, rotation - rotazione and a lot of other words like fragile - fragile etc. so it isn't *that* surprising a native English speaker can follow someone speaking Italian, especially if he minds his dialect. Very Happy

I understand Dutch but don't speak it. Mainly because I fear it will cause throat cancer and a rapid decline in football abilities.

**"Freedom? There ain't no fuckin' Freedom!"**
Zen
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Standard Procedure wrote:
When was "Swiss" a language Laughing

"Swiss" German is not a language in its own right - it is an ailment of the throat. Ask any German German Wink

Being an English speaker who lived for a while in Germany, I find it relatively easy to read related languages (Dutch, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian) even though I have never studied them and only had limited exposure to one (Danish). Understanding the spoken language is more difficult - I can never keep up with the speaker.

More surprisingly, I listened to a 40 minute tape in Italian a while ago and understood most of it. Orientation (ie, knowing in advance what subject was being discussed) helped a lot, but I was still surprised at how much of the detail I could understand.

I like to pick up a few words of the local language when travelling, but inevitably I find that reading is the easiest skill to acquire, speaking is next and listening is the hardest. I'm going to try Swahili next month - wish me luck!

Warned you're writing to a scammer? Just say "Thanks, I'm a baiter" (ScamWarners.com)
419eater FAQ/rules: http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846
"Tell me what you want to do
And I can make it up for you
And lie" Ticket to Lie, by Texas
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I went out with a German girl many (over 20) years ago. She gave me crash course, and after six months I was fairly fluent. Then we split up and I never used it from that day on.

Now, when I hear German spoken I can recognise the words, but can't remember what they mean! Mad

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I travel abroad to europe a lot, a basic understanding of a handful of french words, a basic understanding of some german words and the following happens:

You can work out flemish, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, even turkish.

Language is like accents, mothers know from babies cries if its time to feed or change, there is a connection there in language, english came from german, we just "pronounce" the german in English and spell the words in english but the language is a germanic one, therefore it fits.

merhaba nasilsiniz = hello how are you in turkish, yet im not turkish.
Autobus chuffeur is bus driver in turkish, and shares this with the french, bus and chuffeur both used in english ( a lot ) and as technology and industry gain forward momentum we speak more and more similar words, and the internet will create a single language if left long enough over the years.

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
firehouse5
Palm Wino Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I understand a couple of sign languages but cannot speak them.
I can sign them, though Wink

TV StarMortar dozens Closed lad accounts Not as many piggies as you.
The details you sent do not match, check your records and reply immediate. I have forced to wait in office for two hours with out eating
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic