SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Save your sympathy for victims

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Afferbecklauder
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This article from Sydney Morning Herald in Australia today:

Family fleeced in elaborate scam

A Queensland family has been fleeced of more than $1.3 million in an elaborate variation of a scam that persuades people to part with large sums of money so they can retrieve an overseas inheritance, police say.

The fraud has become known as the Nigerian 419 scam.

Steven Baker, a member of the Queensland family who lost up to $1.5 million, has told police he was approached by a friend who believed her father, whom she had never met, had left a $US17 million ($20.38 million) estate when he passed away.

He said the woman had never met her father, but she knew his name and responded to a newspaper advertisement that had individually targeted her, mentioning both her name and her father's.

Fraudsters communicated with the woman through a solicitor from a Liberian legal firm offering her the "inheritance", however the woman could not afford the requested series of payments to cover supposed legal fees, administrative charges and local taxes to forward the funds to Australia.

That's when Mr Baker was approached to help.

During the scam, which lost the Baker family between $1.3 million and $1.5 million since early 2005, Mr Baker travelled to Europe three times, where he was shown an elaborate ruse of fake government officialdom in Spain, Italy and Holland and was taken to a Spanish bank and shown a case of United States currency that was supposedly the inheritance.

"The professionalism of it is just unbelievable, the paperwork, the officials, going to government departments, you would think if they were straight out scammers they wouldn't have access to government officials and places and the paperwork with all the stamps," Mr Baker told ABC Radio.

Mr Baker came forward to police after viewing a current affairs' segment on Nigerian-style scams last month.

Police said the scam in which the Baker family lost money was an especially elaborate version of the Nigerian-style scam, which can originate from any part of the world.

"We can only theorise how they came to know (the woman) and I would suggest it would be from online chat rooms where she thinks she knows who she's talking to, and people say a lot of things that they wouldn't tell others," Detective Acting Superintendent Brian Hay of the Fraud and Corporate Crime Group said.

"I'd say they built up a profile and specifically targeted that person.

"(This is a) very elaborate, well-resourced and well-organised scam."

The Baker family should feel no shame, Det A/Supt Hay said.

"They saw an opportunity, it (seemed) legitimate, they did a lot of research, a lot of the names of the companies and businesses all panned out to be legitimate with their cursory inquires."

Anyone who is asked to send money overseas for an investment or inheritance retrieval should contact the country's consulate in Australia first, he said.

One man has been arrested in Amsterdam following Mr Baker's complaint.

AAP

I will send a photo copy of your draft to your state security agent with all your information that you are using the money to finance TERRORIST in America that you have received one already, and you also involved in the slept 11 attack.
NA BABA GOD GO PUNISH INA LIVES ANY WHERE INA DEY PLUS
UR BASTARD GOMER COS IN NO BE MISTER ATALL U SILLY
SCOMBERGS U NA DEY CUTT MY JOBS ABI.NO WORRY I NO GO
TELL UNA AGAIN,BUT IF UNA TRY AGAIN UNA NO GO WAKE
FROM SLEEP THE VERY NEXT MORNING I MEAN U WILL BE
MURDERED WITHOUT WARNING THE VERY NEXT MORNING NINFO . Walter Savvidez

pony
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow. That was professional. Thank God 99.9% of the scammers don't have that kind of resources to fool people.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Agreed.

Do you think the lad in question has three safari hats on his siggy? Laughing

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"They made me to understand you are a Fraud Star" - Ikenna.
"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
"I will have you now I am highly reputable businness magnet." - Pam Doh
"Sorry,i do not know you are all that: a destitute and nuts" - Ben Chris
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How droll Mugatu.

What's quite amazing is that this Baker chap had over a million dollars to throw away at this scam. What the hell did he need the "inheritance" for?

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
smartbomb
** Retired **

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^I second that.

Ivory Coast x8 United Kingdom x49 Spain x5 Nigeria x6 United States x3 Switzerland Netherlands x3 Turkey Estonian Flag x10 Malaysia x4 Ukraine Denmark Ghana x2 Russia Indonesia Thailand Germany France x2 Benin x4 Togo United Arab Emirates South Africa x2 Australia Canada Iraq Flag China United Nations
pony Mortar x7 Closed lad accounts a few
Click Here for Free Wigs !

i am no more a baby for going through this kind of stress for 200 pounds. : Hammed - Another satisfied MT7N S3cur3 customer.
l will never lose my leg in Jesus name.......ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeen l can see that you are totally MAD, FUCK YOU TOO!!!!! : Mr Yusuf
Joaquin
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I wouldn't be too sure Baker's friend (the woman) is not part of the scam group.

Closed lad accounts x 46

dear sir
after waiting at the airport for 3 hours i did not see you, i was there till the last pilot came out, what is the position , are you in belgium or still in usa pls write me back , am confused - Patrick Williams

you must be a mad man why can,t you understand simple language it your
stupid mother that have head like that of sadam hussien that was hang
may your mouth bend to your back idiot i am helping you and you are talking trash.
francis mensah
Seven of Nine
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

fwif, the story went to air on the Channel 9 6.00pm news. There would have been a fairly large audience as it was Saturday night. Sorry, I did not record it.

It makes me angry when a few lads can pull off a con like this over 18 months.

Red
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

JMRazor wrote:
What's quite amazing is that this Baker chap had over a million dollars to throw away at this scam. What the hell did he need the "inheritance" for?

As you'd be well aware the scammers prey on greed just as much as they prey on desperation.
For the scammer the victim who is greedy is a far better mark than the victim who is merely desperate because there are a lot more funds available.
Also, who knows how he raised the $1.5 million. He may have a famoily property that he secured a mortgage against.
Doing this doesn't make him rich, it makes him indebted.

Anyway, bottom line, Queensland's quota of losing $500,000 per month to 419 is secured for the next 3 months.
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I wondered if Steven Baker knew he could have negotiated the percentage... Shocked

*ducks and runs*

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
Jack B. S.
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Holy CRAP!!

With 1.5 million (from a mortgage or a trust fund), one can easily afford a lawyer.

'nuf said.

<also ducks and runs>
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic