SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

I got over a huge phobia...

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Reprob8
DIGITALIS MAXIMUS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was asked by my employer and a POS software company to conduct a 30 minute power point presentation/demonstration/speech on the methods I use to customize the touch screens on this particular software to a conference of 400 POS dealers from the US and other countries held here in Chicago. I've always been uncomfortable to the point of near panic when I have to speak in front of a group of people but they offered me 500 bucks to make the pp presentation and do the thing so I half-heartedly agreed. I borrowed a line from my hero, Lewis Black, and started the presentation thusly:

"Being here in front of you reminds me of my high-school prom - I'm wearing an uncomfortable suit, I'm nervous, and, when it's over, I don't think I'm going to get laid."

Thankfully, that got a monster laugh, I calmed down, and the whole thing went on without a hitch. Had no one laughed, I think I would have passed out. Thanks, Lew! Now I need to work on that revolving door phobia.

starstarstarstar
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good for you, it's like swimming, the water is very cold, but once you're in there it isn't that bad. Just think when you go up there, "what's the worst thing that can happen?" Now if you start thinking that while driving, pull over and take a break. Wink
I had the same problem like you, but after the first time it was fun (better than normal work) And... I managed to get laid prom night Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Where are you going to find someone to pay you $500 to go through a revolving door?

JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Funny, my wife the extrovert hates talking before crowds, while I, the introvert, relish in it. Whether in court or giving a seminar, I tend to picture myself as an actor, playing a role -- it makes you less self-conscious and you can pretend to inhabit the skin of someone else.

Well done Repro!

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
419weasel
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Congrats, R8! Just remember the key points of this guy's PP presentation next time you get to do one:

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=23724

Click for lad pain. - New to the forum? Introduce yourself HERE!
Easter Egg 2012 pony Turns that frown upside down- TS
Mc Fry
<-- Official 419Eater buns awarded by Luther Blissett, bun-enabler extraordinaire.
Pith Helmet Remy D1ckson - 1,000 miles from Abidjan, Cote D'Ivoire to Lagos, Nigeria and back!

Lad Quotes
http://members.419eater.com/~419weasel/ladquotes.html
Reprob8
DIGITALIS MAXIMUS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh No, I think I violated everyone of those Laughing

starstarstarstar
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nevermind, all they remember is the opening sentence, they were just there for the free drinks anyway Wink

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Reprob8 wrote:
Oh No, I think I violated everyone of those Laughing

It cracked me up.. Reminded me so much of work. EVERYTHING he did.

Click for lad pain. - New to the forum? Introduce yourself HERE!
Easter Egg 2012 pony Turns that frown upside down- TS
Mc Fry
<-- Official 419Eater buns awarded by Luther Blissett, bun-enabler extraordinaire.
Pith Helmet Remy D1ckson - 1,000 miles from Abidjan, Cote D'Ivoire to Lagos, Nigeria and back!

Lad Quotes
http://members.419eater.com/~419weasel/ladquotes.html
Saint Arnold
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I heard years ago that public speaking was either #1 or #2 on most people's most-feared list - some people feared death more than speaking in public, but not everyone.

Good call on starting out with a joke. I'm surprised you got paid so much to a bunch of piece-of-sh*t software manufacturers, must be those excellent baiting skills at work.

Yes, I know that "POS" means point of sale.

Our legal team are on standby for the next line of action in this very interesting case.already they are still studying the MTCN number that you sent,it will be used as evidence together with your full names and address,when this epic battle commences. - the one and only Charles Soludo

--------------------------
Cellphone x15 (RIP) United Kingdom x7 South Africa x1
Safari Lottery lad, Benin City - Abuja Safari A new minister, Lagos-Benin City Safari The same minister, Lagos - Tamale, Ghana
Safari Dr. Johnson - Abidjan-Abuja and back again (so far! - 1666 miles round trip)

pony <----because life can seem bleary and bleak without one. TS
pony Because Lotta is a great and beautiful mod!
Mortar x21
YeaWhatever
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That must have been quite funny to hear in that setting. Did you also mention you souless hellbeast of an ex-wife? I laugh every time you include her in one of your photo essays.

Safari<i>"i have arrive safe in namibia"</i> - Tony Kalabi - The Road to the Skeleton Coast
Safari<i>"he is in aswan"</i> - Larry Ken - The Road to Abu Sunbul
Safari The Road to the Hot Zone</a>
T.W.A.T<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89779" target="_blank"> The Making of a TWAT</a>
T.W.A.T<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100535" target="_blank"> The Second Coming of TWAT</a>
Golden Pith Mortar x17
Reprob8
DIGITALIS MAXIMUS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^ Actually, I did. Here is one of the power point slides. The entire presentation was a bit off the wall but I think they enjoyed it.

CLICKY

starstarstarstar
Eight
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Rep in a suit??? Shocked I'm sorry I missed that, but it sounds like you did a storming job, Rep. Smile

I'm used to public-speaking, but when a friend asked me to do a reading at her wedding, I was terrified. It just goes to prove; take someone out of their comfort zone, and it doesn't matter how used they are to similar things. Sad

United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Benin Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Nigeria France Benin

Avatar from sweethell ** www.ScamWarners.com - Victim warnings, support, advice & information ** Click here to donate to 419Eater.com
Poison Ivy
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Daily I take the lectern (teacher here) and have to agree, more often than not you are an entertainer, you have a message to deliver, you can either do that monotone, or do it with giggles and life. I know which I prefer.

you know the amount we are talking here is not a peanut .

U're a slot!!
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's a great opening line R8. I hate public speaking too but getting the audience to laugh from the get-go always breaks the ice and grabs their interest for the rest of the presentation (hopefully).

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
shakira
Apprentice Fence Mender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This doesn't help with my fear of spiders Sad

There was a spider on my window and after I saw him dead (I sprayed him with raid) I still sprayed the window... The whole window...

Then the other night I saw 2 little spiders on the window next to the couch sp I sprayed them and for the last 2 nights I have slept on the mini couch... (I would sleep in my room but my bed is covered in stuff... Which probably is covered in spiders. For $500 I would sleep there though Very Happy

Good job on getting over that. It took me like 2 weeks to muster up the courage to tell a small group something Shocked

JoeTam
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've done a rare few presentations, and I find that 20 mg. of Vicodin is a great help. That and a cold beer. And a .01 mg. Lorazepam. And a ............ oh, nevermind, I' m joking. What freaks me out is MRI machines. Cannot do them. I flip out. Claustrophobia takes charge. Revolving doors are no prob. Your PP slide had me slipping out of my chair laughing, Reprob8. I think our ex's were Sisters.

I went to bank. they call police, why you do this to me? I canntsend you anything now.
Goat dog
battery
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I had to do a ppt in Chinese and talk in Chinese to a bunch of potential employers last week... I was waiting for the point where I would become nervous, but strangely I didn't.

it's really not that bad is it Very Happy

DONATE
---

I don't deserve a pony Sad

of course you deserve a pony-lotta Very Happy
pony pony pony
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Great job Reprob8. Next time just imagine your audience naked. Bring in those X-ray glasses from the back of comic books.
Jokes are good. So are cheese cake photos. I learned that from a boss, one of the smartest men I have met. He had Phd's in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. This man from Oz would randomly show shots out of Playboy in his slide show presentations. Even the women would pay attention. It would be considered a hostile work environment now.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
it wasn't me
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As a radio presenter I've done thousands of stage shows. Never got nervous at one of em. Take the mic away though and ask me to speak in front of 10 people and I'm a nervous wreck!
Love that opening line JT, laughed me sox off Laughing

Pretty Rose

pony
Wright B Hindyou
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to get nervous until somebody pointed out that in fact the audience was hoping I would do well.

Think about it.. when you're watching somebody on stage, you generally hope they won't make an ass of themselves, because you're thinking 'That could so easily be me' and you have empathy with them.

Once you appreciate as a speaker that the audience is, basically, on your side, everything becomes OK... Cool

"bastard like you, I will kill you with my hand, son of nobody. May your soul rust in help." - Titi Andrew

"I trusted you very much without knowing that you are a drug addit person" - Emma Bambara

"THIS YOUR BEHAVIOR IS IRELEVANT AND CROSPOLOS CARACTER" - Madam Clarrise Keita.

"you must speak beter because we dont train mad people in this company." - Incredible Self-Baiting Pastor Joe
Hekate
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well done you! That was a good way to start, incidentally - get them laughing and liking you, and they are putty in your hands!

I gave a talk to the entire Archaeology Department during my degree finals, on Howard Carter and the Tomb of Tutankhamun. Talking about tomb inscriptions, I said 'and of course, there is NO such thing as the curse of the pharaohs'. The theatre lights went out. Projector jammed. The slide stuck there, in true horror film fashion, slowly burnt through and burst into glames. Emergency lights finally came on and I asked the crowd to entertain themselves as I couldn't tap dance. Half an hour later, we resume, and I have to start off with 'And I would now like to retract my last rash, and patently untrue, statement...' Everyone laughed, rest of the talk went fine. But I haven't been able to make myself do another one since!! Laughing

We have on our programms according to the lay down rules to pay the Asians mostly the indians and malasians now and after that it may change. Rev. James Ucheomma

do you really think that i am just a stupid man like you,listen for the veru last time if i did'nt see XXXX after 24 hours you will heat your self.. [love scammer Chucks]

IT'S NOT I LOOKING FOR WORK.GOD FORBID.I CAN BE IN AN OCEAN AND WASH MY HEAD WITH MY SPIT. THANKS AND GOD BLESS.
MARK DOUGLAS.

United Kingdom France 2 x Netherlands
Cellphone
Safari See SP's Irish Safari!
Mortar x14
Golden Pith

Click here to support 419Eater.com
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

shakira wrote:
This doesn't help with my fear of spiders Sad

There was a spider on my window and after I saw him dead (I sprayed him with raid) I still sprayed the window... The whole window...

Then the other night I saw 2 little spiders on the window next to the couch sp I sprayed them and for the last 2 nights I have slept on the mini couch... (I would sleep in my room but my bed is covered in stuff... Which probably is covered in spiders. For $500 I would sleep there though Very Happy

Good job on getting over that. It took me like 2 weeks to muster up the courage to tell a small group something Shocked

Fence mender... Tell the spider a joke next time, it paralyzes them and you can Raid(tm) them easier! Shocked Very Happy Laughing

It is "killing them with laughter" and much more enviromnentally friendly! Cool

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic