SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Block African IPs

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
capricio
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just come here for entertainment, but maybe you could get shiver to look into blocking African IP networks from accessing the webserver? Then things like this [lads finding items on Eater] might not happen, I'd really hate to see that thread [the Mr Cucumb3r one] end before he makes a trip for the Astin-Martin.

If you need help identifying networks, let me know. ...and yeah, they could still work around it by using remote proxy sites like proxify.com or whatever, but it would make it a bit harder for them to find the material here. Most aren't that savvy with internet tools, beyond email and web browsers.

Mod Edit: This topic split from The Mr Cucumb3r T@mal3 saga thread as the OP has opened a whole new can of worms. [BB]
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Capricio

Lads don't just scam Europeans/Americans etc. I know of many examples where they try and scam africans. Blocking that IP range would mean that a whole swathe of potential vics would be denied access to this site.

Lads don't come here to often. They have to pay for their internet time by the minute/hour and can't waste their money on frivolities outside of their scamming activies.

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
morbiczer
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

AFAIK there are also some active African baiters here.
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

capricio wrote:
maybe you could get shiver to look into blocking African IP networks from accessing the webserver?

Doing so would block some of our most valued members, whilst allowing the multitude of scammers in London, Holland, USA, Spain, Germany, Russia, Romania... (do I need to go on?) to freely access this site and continue to rumble those baiting them.

As MM said, 419 scammers will target absolutely anyone in any country. The main goal of this site is education, spreading the word about 419 scams as far and as wide as possible, and we should keep that goal firmly in mind. There is no bait worth denying innocent people the information that this site provides.

That said, it doesn't surprise me that the folks involved in this bait [The Mr Cucumb3r T@mal3 saga] have chosen to communicate via PM for now. I'm fairly sure that there will be more to the story soon enough. Wink

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star

Last edited by SlayerFaith on Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Poison Ivy
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

well said!

you know the amount we are talking here is not a peanut .

U're a slot!!
Zorro
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

capricio <--

Why? Do you think all web users from Africa are scammers? Or is it because ... I donno ... just trying to get at the logic behind your sweeping stetement: "Block African IPs".

There is one way to find out if a man is honest; ask him! If he says yes, you know he's crooked.

The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't think Capricio has been intentionally stupid or malevolent, Zorro.

To somebody who doesn't know a lot about scambaiting, it may seem that all scams originate in Africa and obviously, if that's the case, by blocking the African IP, the scammers won't be able to get through. Capricio just seems to have forgotten that scammers and baiters come from all over the world.

It's a well meaning idea but not well researched. I don't see any sinister motive in it at all and the other guys here have explained what the problem with his idea is.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
capricio
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Zorro wrote:
capricio <--

Why? Do you think all web users from Africa are scammers? Or is it because ... I donno ... just trying to get at the logic behind your sweeping stetement: "Block African IPs".

Zorro,

Calm down. I'm neither a racist nor an elitist of some kind. The fact is, the name of the site, "419eater", references Nigerian law. At least 80% of the baits are centered on Nigerian or Ghanaen scammers. Similarly, at least 90% of the victims that post here are from North America or Europe. This site uses the english language predominantly. Africans scamming Africans would very likely do so in a different language, those victims might not even speak english.

The site admins can do whatever they want, and I know most of the posters make an effort to mask key names/items/places from search engine web crawlers. The site's stated mission isn't just to inform people, but also to collaborate on diverting as much of a scammers time, energy, and resources from vulnerable targets. When scammers find they have been baited on the website, it defeats the latter objective.

It's a calculated cost/benefit decision on whether or not whether or not blocking Nigerian or Ghanaen networks access to this site benefits (IMHO) a very small set of internet fraud victims from those countries or a potentially large set of internet con-men from those countries. The amount of wealth there vs overseas dictates what the overall trend will be, as will the lack of law enforcement for internet crimes over there. These are not "sweeping generalizations" or statements, these are just facts and trends that are hard to ignore or deny. Obviously I realize not "all" scammers are from Africa, and we are not dealing in absolutes.

If the site admins disagree and decide to keep it accessible to all the internet cafes in Nigeria, that's fine. I just hoped to present the idea as a option they can take or leave. I also hate to see such an elaborate bait go down the tubes in an instant. You can get off your high-horse now. Smile

PS: At a very minimum, we could very easily identify smaller subnets used by scammers from internet cafes in the past, regardless of continent/country, and compile an active block-list. I'd fail to see the harm in that, other than a bit more work for the admins.
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This has idea has been suggested before (several times, actually).

Ultimately it won't accomplish anything other than blocking people who aren't scammers from Eater.

Lads do occasionally find their way here. When they do they are spotted by staff at signup or give themselves away within two posts. Trolls are more of a problem to these forums than lads.

As for ruining an ongoing bait because a lad googles his name, well, tough. Either use the 'mask' feature to hide the lad's name/email addy or don't bother posting ongoing baits.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Nick L Cadmium
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It wouldn't work, anyway.

Alot of the lads use satellite connections to ISPs in countries like Turkey and Israel. I suppose it is cheaper and more reliable than connecting to a local ISP. You would have to block all of those too, and that could end up getting messy.

It will be better if you can give me your mother to have some nice sex with her - Mosola Mickelson
TO HELL WITH YOU MR. MACK TRUQUE WHAT A HOPELESS ANIMAL YOU ARE - Susan Yehuda
MONEY TALKS BULL-SHIRT WORKS - Mrs Angel Macathy (orphanage scambag)
Zorro
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

capricio wrote:
I'm neither a racist nor an elitist of some kind.

Oh well, if you say that your "Block African IP's" comment is not because you're racist or elitist, I guess I believe you.

There is one way to find out if a man is honest; ask him! If he says yes, you know he's crooked.

Red
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Besides all of the above, there's no harm in scammers seeing this site.

It makes them far more wary that their next victim is a baiter and more likely to put the victim off by demanding extraordinary things.

If you don't want a lad to see what you're posting about them just obfuscate their name or don't post their name at all.

There is no way a lad has time to go through all these threads looking for posts about them every single day. I mean, honestly, I struggle to get through half of them, even if I dedicate an hour to it.

And if they DO have time to go through all these threads, great, they've wasted soooo much time they could have spent on a victim.

Bottom line is that if they can't google their name they won't spend hours on this board looking to see if an email they wrote has been reproduced here. And even if by some remote chance they did, all it would serve to do would make them question then next victim they try to scam.

United Kingdom x36 Malaysia x6 European Union x2 United States x10 Italy x5 x4 Benin x6 Netherlands x8 Russia x2 Indonesia x2 Nigeria x11 x3 Gambia Canada x3 Spain x13 Hong Kong Gibraltar Germany x3 Cayman Islands Japan x2 Belgium x3 United Nations x3 Flag Monaco x2 Austria Ivory Coast x4 x2 Ireland Bahamas, The x2 Portugal x2 Switzerland x4 x3 Ghana x3 Sweden France x2 Serbia and Montenegro x2 China x2 Togo x2 Ukraine x2 South Africa Somolia
Golden Pith 1k3: West African Tour
Safari Ben: Lagos (Nigeria) - Accra (Ghana)
Mortar x10
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't always "disguise" the lads names when I post, in case a victim was to google their name. I assumed the likelihood of a potential victim googling it was higher than a lad googling their own. What do you all think?

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Its really up to you, Ima. If you want the lad's name to be googleable (is too a word), then post in "Main Scambaiting". If you don't, post in "Help, Hints, & Tips", which is behind the log in and beyond the google-bots. Potential vics DO sometimes google their lads and wind up here, even if they don't post about it.

The plain fact is that it is fairly rare for a baiter to be rumbled this way. When it happens, the bait is usually very involved or a mass bait and has been posted in Main or Publish Your Work.

@capricio & zorro- We're here to fight the lads, not each other. As TSnerd said, this idea has been presented before.

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wasn�t this topic slip from another thread? If so wouldn�t the mod choose the title name and not capriccio?

@zorro cut him a little slack, he�s new. He was just making a suggestion.

@ capriccio saying things like �clam down� and �get off you high horse� to other members is not a way to make friends after only a few posts,

Oh and what SF said.

Sand Timer 8/11/07-12/15/08 i am totally a looser -Bruce The trophy machine

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
Red
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Ghost:

Nice work! :nodo: Thumbs up

United Kingdom x36 Malaysia x6 European Union x2 United States x10 Italy x5 x4 Benin x6 Netherlands x8 Russia x2 Indonesia x2 Nigeria x11 x3 Gambia Canada x3 Spain x13 Hong Kong Gibraltar Germany x3 Cayman Islands Japan x2 Belgium x3 United Nations x3 Flag Monaco x2 Austria Ivory Coast x4 x2 Ireland Bahamas, The x2 Portugal x2 Switzerland x4 x3 Ghana x3 Sweden France x2 Serbia and Montenegro x2 China x2 Togo x2 Ukraine x2 South Africa Somolia
Golden Pith 1k3: West African Tour
Safari Ben: Lagos (Nigeria) - Accra (Ghana)
Mortar x10
Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Always Glad to help Very Happy

Sand Timer 8/11/07-12/15/08 i am totally a looser -Bruce The trophy machine

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
Mind Freak
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Cool What is the actual email addy for Mr Cucumb3r T@mal3 saga?

Whether you are Moslem, Jewish, Christian, or any of thousands of other beliefs, or simply a Being without any religious standing, the Laws of Morality and the Scriptural Laws only applies when you are dealing with people that live by those laws! Wink http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32877

In the spirit of [oss] Col. Hogan's credo, "You'll assist fellow victims, cooperate with all friendly forces, and use every means to harass and injure the enemy's operations." [the cia didn't tell me to say that and hls didn't either; guess who did]
Jervis Tetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ima^

During what was my longest bait so far--13 months--I had a mugu trophy photo posted after a mere 6 weeks. The op was always there for The Lad to google his nom-de-bait----as I did!-- and he would have easily seen what I was up to. But he didn't, and it always amazed me. He never learned of it until I was done with him and told him so.

As smart as the mugus think they are on covering all the small technical angles, they are breath-takingly stupid when it comes to the major basic stuff.

What a FUCK, for doing this i will make sure by tomorrow i will be in Washington and send the FBI to pick you up where ever you are by all means just believe i must do this and use it as a prove that i am who i am. I give you just 1 hour to take my passport out from that page or eles when i get to Washington there will be no forgiveness just take my word. I will send all boxes and documents covering the boxes in your name to Washington and you will be asked so many question and if possible you will go to Jail with my power i PROMISE I MUST DO IT.
His Excellency Ambassador Dr. Kwame Bawuah-Edusei
FiveForces
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

How about changing this forum so it's also under a login like the rest?

"GO AND DIE AND NOPT LIVE OK, YOU STUPID FOUL YOU TAKEW ME FOR PLAY? SEND YOUR SHIPPING INFO AND THAT ALL YOU TALK STUPID, SEND ME YOUR NUMBER THAT ALKL I NEED FROM YOU. NO NUKMBER GO AND DON;T SEND NO MONEY AND SEND HAVE NO PUPPY"
~ Bri Thany

"The whole situation is becoming ridiculous and absurd. Its hard to explain how a transaction that normally takes a few minutes to be concluded is starting to run into weeks."
~ Genesis Art & Craft

"you are treating me like a fool which is not supposed to be done"
~ Barryston Morgan

"I don't understand this...Its like you are playing on my intelligence."
~ Peter Roy
Breddan Butter
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If we put the whole Board behind a login there would be little for anyone to see that would attract them to Eater.

We DON'T have a problem, so no fix is needed.
If you don't want someone to see anything in particular then don't post it in an open Forum. That should be easy enough to understand. Smile

My IP address is 217.21.39.255. (86.57.134.49 on Sundays) Please don't come knocking on my door.

Last edited by Breddan Butter on Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We had that debate back in February in this thread:
http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=807415

Cliff Notes version: Potential victims (or baiters) being able to find us, their lads, and/or the scam that they are targeted by is far more important than protecting a baiter's bait.

Hope that clarifies a bit. Very Happy

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Don
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

capricio wrote:
You can get off your high-horse now.

Try crashing into an old-established Hells Angels chapter meeting to inform them about the advantages of modern water-cooled japanese twin engines.

**"Freedom? There ain't no fuckin' Freedom!"**
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

/\/\ [ot] According to Sonny Barger's book (he founded the Hell's Angels), the Angels are not allowed to smoke in their meetings. In the 60's they were just asked not to turn up tripping.

At the Bulldog Bash a couple of years ago, he was stood near the Thai food queue, while he sent an underling to push in for him. Hayley said that yes she did mind, actually - i was mortified but proud.

Barger has said he regrets their Harley only policy, but they do still stick to it.
[/ot]

As for the Moses thread, I could have kept it a secret until it was over, but it went on for months, and if it gets people interested in baiting, the risk of discovery is worth it, I see it as a 'fun' bait (except for the lad). You can only go so far to be Google proof in a 20 page thread.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Zorro
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Roycropper wrote:
...a 'fun' bait (except for the lad)...

Vera, I'm sure that the lad had his share of fun too. Well, in a painful sort of way.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic