SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

A new twist on the job scam?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
DoctorPhil
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been baiting a lot of check scammers lately because of my new PO Box and the almost guaranteed trophies. Usually the check arrives and I tell the lads the check didn't clear and that will be the end of it. My most recent check bait the lad told me his customer messed up and sent me cash and I would need to send it back to him via Western Union. I was really nervous because I thought the lad had one of his victims sending me cash and now I would be involved. To my relief the package arrived and it was from Nigeria so I was pretty confident it wasn't from a victim. Inside the package contained (10) $100 Bills. The bills were good from far but far from good and were obviously counterfeits. I haven't seen this approach to a job scam before and was wondering if anyone else had?

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's a new one on me.

I can't remember seeing a lad sending counterfeit money before in a format like that, puts a whole new spin on things huh Shocked I take it you handed the money over to LEO?

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
YeaWhatever
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can you scan and post the pics? Especially if you took a super close up of one of the corners of the bill or something? That is a new one on me too.

Safari<i>"i have arrive safe in namibia"</i> - Tony Kalabi - The Road to the Skeleton Coast
Safari<i>"he is in aswan"</i> - Larry Ken - The Road to Abu Sunbul
Safari The Road to the Hot Zone</a>
T.W.A.T<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89779" target="_blank"> The Making of a TWAT</a>
T.W.A.T<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100535" target="_blank"> The Second Coming of TWAT</a>
Golden Pith Mortar x17
DoctorPhil
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Scam Patroller, I found this lad in a Yahoo Chat room actually. You seem to be able to find a whole different breed of lads there. I had another lad offer me a job in a Yahoo Chat but he wanted me to buy the blank checks, special ink, and mail them myself. I was thinking about turning the bills into LEO but I was nervous about them looking at me like a suspect. I'm guessing you think I should?

@ YeaWhatever, I will get some pics up tonight. They actually are pretty good for any fake bills I've seen before. They have a watermark and the strip going through them but their still easy to spot

Last edited by DoctorPhil on Thu May 24, 2007 1:13 am; edited 2 times in total
David Lister
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

possibly hoping you'll wire the WU payment before attempting to put into the bank.
Wire him a fake one, and let the fun begin.

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ That's what I was thinking. The lad might actually believe the bills are that good though.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

DoctorPhil wrote:
I was thinking about turning the bills into LEO but I was nervous about them looking at me like suspect. I'm guessing you think I should?

Yes mate, as soon as possible, for all you know, the lad might be being monitored by LE or US Postal Service inspectors etc if he has done this before and been reported, and I'm sure you know it's a federal offence to be in posession of counterfeit money, LE wont be suspicious of you, after all, you are handing the stuff in and telling them how you received it.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
David Lister
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

well don't correct him Wink
If they are quite obvious fakes, let him think they look fantastic. Can't have him catching on and making better ones.

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've got a good number of fake checks but no fake cash.... I think I don't want any. I'd feel an urgent need to turn them in, which would lead to awkward questions.... but NOT turning them in would lead to questions that were much more awkward indeed.

I don't know, but I'll bet LE will be more interested in counterfeit cash than in fake checks. Still probably unable to do much about it if the cash is coming from Nigeria, though. One of our lawyerly types, is fake checks worse than fake checks?

Our legal team are on standby for the next line of action in this very interesting case.already they are still studying the MTCN number that you sent,it will be used as evidence together with your full names and address,when this epic battle commences. - the one and only Charles Soludo

--------------------------
Cellphone x15 (RIP) United Kingdom x7 South Africa x1
Safari Lottery lad, Benin City - Abuja Safari A new minister, Lagos-Benin City Safari The same minister, Lagos - Tamale, Ghana
Safari Dr. Johnson - Abidjan-Abuja and back again (so far! - 1666 miles round trip)

pony <----because life can seem bleary and bleak without one. TS
pony Because Lotta is a great and beautiful mod!
Mortar x21
FiveForces
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

DoctorPhil wrote:
^^^ That's what I was thinking. The lad might actually believe the bills are that good though.

I doubt he'd have sent you them if he thought they were real.

"GO AND DIE AND NOPT LIVE OK, YOU STUPID FOUL YOU TAKEW ME FOR PLAY? SEND YOUR SHIPPING INFO AND THAT ALL YOU TALK STUPID, SEND ME YOUR NUMBER THAT ALKL I NEED FROM YOU. NO NUKMBER GO AND DON;T SEND NO MONEY AND SEND HAVE NO PUPPY"
~ Bri Thany

"The whole situation is becoming ridiculous and absurd. Its hard to explain how a transaction that normally takes a few minutes to be concluded is starting to run into weeks."
~ Genesis Art & Craft

"you are treating me like a fool which is not supposed to be done"
~ Barryston Morgan

"I don't understand this...Its like you are playing on my intelligence."
~ Peter Roy
DoctorPhil
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ ScamPatroller, I will have to muster up the courage but I will do it. Could I just destroy them or you think this is something they should really see?

@admiralross2400, I think this is one of the rare occasions that telling the lad might be helpful. I'm sure their are many people that wouldn't second guess the bills. Hopefully he will lose faith in his bills after repeated failure.

@FiveForces, the lad definitely knows they are fake but he might think they're good enough to fool Western Union agents

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^ Destroy them if you want, but they might be of use to LE to connect similar cases they might be investigating. What's the worst that can happen, you hand them in, tell them you bait scammers, an Nigerian scammer sent them to you blah blah blah, they ask a few questions, not a thing they can do to you for that, that counterfeit money might have gone to an unsuspecting fraud victim if he had not sent it to you, the LE should give you a pat on the back, doubt they will, but they should Very Happy, you could even put them in an envelope and hand them in anonymously with a note about where you got them from.

Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You should definitely turn them in, the ones you have are probably not the only ones produced by whomever made them.
Wow. Counterfeit money. This just keeps getting more exciting.

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Scambaiting isn't illegal. Being in possession of forged banknotes is. I'd take them to LE too and tell them the truth. You never know, they might learn something Wink

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
jose_cuervo
Baiting Guru

Location: Packing Vaseline in my frilly boots, I can’t help if it gets in other places.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

DoctorPhil, Turn them in to LEO. Check to see if there is a US Secret Service field office near you. They may be able to pass the info to their field office in Nigeria (they have one there).

“I guess a man is the only kind of varmint sets his own trap, baits it, and then steps in it.” ~ John Steinbeck
MikeH
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Click here to check out the Secret Service Website:

Quote:
KNOW YOUR MONEY
If You Receive a Counterfeit

* Do not return it to the passer.

* Delay the passer if possible.

* Observe the passer's description, as well as that of any companions, and the license plate numbers of any vehicles used.

* Contact your local police department or United States Secret Service field office. These numbers can be found on the inside front page of your local telephone directory.

* Write your initials and the date in the white border areas of the suspect note.

* Limit the handling of the note. Carefully place it in a protective covering, such as an envelope.

* Surrender the note or coin only to a properly identified police officer or a U.S. Secret Service special agent.

Counterfeit Note Report (self-executable form)

404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404
DoctorPhil
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I found a Secret Service Office that is about 30 minutes from me so I will give them a call tomorrow. Hopefully they won't mind me just mailing them in. I took a few pictures but the quality isn't the best since I had to use my camera phone because I can't find the USB cord to my good camera. You can still see the watermark and the strip fairly well. The watermark if you noticed is much different then a real $100 but still looks like they knew what they were doing. The 100 in the bottom right corner is in green metallic ink as well. I will let you all know what the Service Service tells me to do with the bills tomorrow.

http://www.imagebucket.net/bucket/is.php?i=16954&img=pic5.JPG

http://www.imagebucket.net/bucket/is.php?i=16957&img=8614pic6.JPG

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Those are actually good enough fakes that I think they would pass a casual inspection. How do they feel though? Do they feel like real money?

"the phone is included with the extended file dilithium batteries" ....phonelad....

"we are located in United State, Kenturky."

Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone
DoctorPhil
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

They actually feel pretty good but slightly thinner and the color is slightly off.

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Those are good enought to fool most anyone (like my mother) till they get to the bank. Great that you are turning them in. Who knows this may be the tip of the iceburg and we will see much more of this in different types of scams. Where there is 10 bills there are 1000 more being passed.
baitshack
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There is a serious problem with counterfeit US notes going on today. South Anerican and African operations are printing tons of the stuff. The Secret Service has ongoing operations around the world trying to stop these activities.

The reason so much effort is put into stopping counterfeit operations is this huge volume of bogus notes devalues our currency and weakens the dollar around the world.

What you have show how succesful they have been in defeating a few of the security features (watermark and stripe.) Fortunately, they don't have the paper to pull it off.

My suggestion is to turn it in to the Secret Service ASAP and give them all the information you can about where it came from. It may be just the clue they need to bust a big operation.
Sir Cumfrence
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Doc,

Your lad wouldn't happen to represent Y33 Y0ung 1ndu5tr1@l would he?

As chance would have it, I've been offered payment in cash very very recently from this guy.

Cheers

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Seen it individually? Not yet, but I do recall reading a press release/news story some weeks ago warning about very good fake $100 bills form Nigeria. The story talked about a victim who (luckily) was warned by a friend that the whole deal he was involved with sounded dodgy. What was pretty scary was the fact that the bills were not only excellent fakes, they also "fooled" those little marking pens that many stores/banks use as a first line of defense against counterfeits.

Here it is.

http://www.kansas.com/212/story/58678.html

Straightbait

Nifty anti-scam sites of interest
Artists Against 419 | Fraudwatchers |Scamomatic | Scampatroll Scam Victims United | Fake Checks Dot Org
YeaWhatever
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I wonder what would happen if the lad sent those to someone outside the US and that person brought the bills to a currency exchange outlet somewhere like you often find in airports.

Safari<i>"i have arrive safe in namibia"</i> - Tony Kalabi - The Road to the Skeleton Coast
Safari<i>"he is in aswan"</i> - Larry Ken - The Road to Abu Sunbul
Safari The Road to the Hot Zone</a>
T.W.A.T<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89779" target="_blank"> The Making of a TWAT</a>
T.W.A.T<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100535" target="_blank"> The Second Coming of TWAT</a>
Golden Pith Mortar x17
MikeH
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Click here to check out the Secret Service Website:

Quote:
KNOW YOUR MONEY
If You Receive a Counterfeit

* Do not return it to the passer.

* Delay the passer if possible.

* Observe the passer's description, as well as that of any companions, and the license plate numbers of any vehicles used.

* Contact your local police department or United States Secret Service field office. These numbers can be found on the inside front page of your local telephone directory.

* Write your initials and the date in the white border areas of the suspect note.

* Limit the handling of the note. Carefully place it in a protective covering, such as an envelope.

* Surrender the note or coin only to a properly identified police officer or a U.S. Secret Service special agent.

Counterfeit Note Report (self-executable form)

404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404

Last edited by MikeH on Thu May 24, 2007 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic