SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

How dangerous are email headers?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
jerz
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I read through the faq and found this:

"Short answer. No. They're not, shall we say, brilliant by any stretch of the imagination. While it's true your IP is normally in your email headers the scammer would be extremely unlikely to even know what an IP is, let alone how to find you with it. And even if he did by some miracle track you down, he would have no way to get to you. It would cost him too much time, money and energy to even attempt to try it. Besides, I somehow doubt he'd get the Visa he'd need to enter the country."

But I wanted to get your opinions on the subject. I responded to a scammer recently, and later realized that they would be able to see my first and last name and IP address. The scammer's email had a "UK" at the end, so I figure that's where they are. How much can they learn about me with that info? How worried should I be about identity theft?

Thank you!
GeneralAbacha
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The only way they could see your first and last name is if you were baiting from your own personal email account. That is a concern above and beyond IP alone. Usually when the dangers of IP are discussed, we are talking about the dangers of using a made up hotmail or yahoo account, for example, registered with fake details. With IP alone a mugu could theorectically pin down your general area, but that's about it. With your real name they might be able to track you down to your door. Of course this would be very unlikely, but still....

Also she said that we need to organized some girls for a lesbian club here , then we will used them and make money , but it will needs some financial support , that if you are here with us that it will be more easy to organized . I know some big girls here that in this lesbian club , they have nice sports car and live in good bungalow.

- Joyce Organ

I WOULD ADVICE YOU TO WRITE JUSTICE AMADU BELLO AND APPOLOGISE TO HIM, YOU SHOULD TELL HIM WHY YOU ARE SCARED IS BECAUSE OF THE BELLO IN HIS NAME. YOU SHOULD TELL HIM TO FIND YOUR HUSBAND FROM THE HANDS OF HOSTAGEER AND ARREST USMAN BELLO AND THE HOSTAGE GANGS.

-Charles Soludo
bombardier
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
realized that they would be able to see my first and last name and IP address.

That comes down to bad baiting discipline, Thousands of people can share an IP however if you give your real details with that IP you suddenly become very easily trackable.
As the bible suggests you would seriously need to hurt a lad for him to bother looking for you.

pony pony Mortar x18
jerz
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh god... I feel so stupid (and rightly so). I must admit I'm a little freaked out now. Yes, it was my personal account, and the scammer already sent a response. I'm not going to respond anymore and I've already set up a new email account. It was the standard scam asking if they can put a huge amount of money into my bank account because they are going to die soon. Rolling Eyes

Thank you for the feedback! Does anyone know if a scammer HAS come to somebody's door???
jerz
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

bombardier wrote:
As the bible suggests you would seriously need to hurt a lad for him to bother looking for you.

That makes me feel a little better.
FiveForces
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah...he's not gonna come knocking on your door if you ignore him from now on...just remember not to give the lads any real details in the future.

"GO AND DIE AND NOPT LIVE OK, YOU STUPID FOUL YOU TAKEW ME FOR PLAY? SEND YOUR SHIPPING INFO AND THAT ALL YOU TALK STUPID, SEND ME YOUR NUMBER THAT ALKL I NEED FROM YOU. NO NUKMBER GO AND DON;T SEND NO MONEY AND SEND HAVE NO PUPPY"
~ Bri Thany

"The whole situation is becoming ridiculous and absurd. Its hard to explain how a transaction that normally takes a few minutes to be concluded is starting to run into weeks."
~ Genesis Art & Craft

"you are treating me like a fool which is not supposed to be done"
~ Barryston Morgan

"I don't understand this...Its like you are playing on my intelligence."
~ Peter Roy
bombardier
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Does anyone know if a scammer HAS come to somebody's door???

Im sure someone will come along in a minute and tell you the legendary tale of the guy that was baiting from work Wink

pony pony Mortar x18
HugginsDUI
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No point in quoting the complete original post. - drwho

I have a yahoo.co.uk baiting account, and I'm American. You can sign up for an account anywhere, and just make up fake details about yourself including your name and address. Plenty of mugus use yahoo.co.uk accounts. Probably the one type of email address that accurately lists the country of a scammer is the type vlads (love scammers from Russia) use. They'll use [email protected] or something like that...the ru is key.
jerz
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks everyone for taking your time to respond. I'll keep checking back to read any other responses any of you might have. It sounds like I don't really have anything to worry about, though. I've decided I'm not going to get into baiting. It just freaks me out too much! Razz
Pantsface
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Im sure someone will come along in a minute and tell you the legendary tale of the guy that was baiting from work

I'd love to hear this one. I bait from work all the time.

"As an idiot who have not see money?Stupify away from me ungodly person." - Nugo

"I dream how we will sit at you at home I will
sit on your knees, you will iron my face, my legs." - Marina

pony Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone

Click here to support 419Eater.com

GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@jerz - the only damage you have done is to scare yourself, and that was caused by not reading the stickies and not taking the chance to pick up a mentor before starting to bait.

Twice in the last week I have received scam mail mentioning locations not more than 10 miles from where I live. Am I bothered ? Not one jot. It was an uncanny coincidence both times, and most scammers are operating from West Africa which you can easily verify from the e-mail header most times, but I often don't bother to check nowadays, as baiting safely means there is no risk, even if they do live close by,

There is as much chance of a victim getting their money back off a scammer, as there is of a scammer coming looking for vengeance - unless you're YeaWhatever - Laughing They'd rather spend their money at the local whore house and bar.

We're proud of the insults and death threats we receive. I hope you do regain the confidence to bait. It's a lot of safe fun with a good purpose.

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
malherbe
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi, i'm a newbie here, but a thought just occured to me:
i'm sure using a simple php or perl script, we can set up a page that sends emails, but with only the information in the header we want sent, which would be "sender", reply to, date, etc., but ommitting the important data such as ip addresses and server names.

so, you would use this page to send your emails, then check your real email for replies from the scammer, and then send your reply to the scammer using this page.

thoughts?
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^Why bother?

IPs are not the big bad wolf/virus/man your mother told you not to date.

Just bait safely and things are just fine.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
jerz
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You're right, GomerPyle, I just jumped right in with very basic knowledge. I am usually very thorough about checking things out. I guess I acted rather impulsively in this case. Those scammers are just so insulting, blatantly asking you to give very personal info (I did not give that person any of my info, btw) and they fill my box with so much junk...
Afferbecklauder
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Bombardier

There was one case in Sydney Australia where "diplomats" contacted an inheritance victim. newspaper people were tipped off and a slapstick chase through Sydney streets ensued, Remarkably, the victim still appeared to have some belief he would eventually receive the inheritance.

I will send a photo copy of your draft to your state security agent with all your information that you are using the money to finance TERRORIST in America that you have received one already, and you also involved in the slept 11 attack.
NA BABA GOD GO PUNISH INA LIVES ANY WHERE INA DEY PLUS
UR BASTARD GOMER COS IN NO BE MISTER ATALL U SILLY
SCOMBERGS U NA DEY CUTT MY JOBS ABI.NO WORRY I NO GO
TELL UNA AGAIN,BUT IF UNA TRY AGAIN UNA NO GO WAKE
FROM SLEEP THE VERY NEXT MORNING I MEAN U WILL BE
MURDERED WITHOUT WARNING THE VERY NEXT MORNING NINFO . Walter Savvidez

pony
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Pantsface wrote:
I'd love to hear this one. I bait from work all the time.
The story as I heard it about a year ago is as follows:

A baiter got a friend to send a fax using his office fax machine. Faxes have the telephone number of the sending machine added to them. A few days later two or three impressive looking men turned up at the friend's workplace asking for the baiter character.

I have since searched for the original story a few times and never found it. I've now put it down as urban legend, although it is plausible.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
Don
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So after a combined 10 billion baiting years a one time occurence of 2 lads allegedly turning up at a baiter's workplace asking for his baiter name (scary stuff!) because he used his traceable work fax warrant 500 threads on how to hide your IP (IP! bad!) threads a day. Impressive.

jerz wrote:
The scammer's email had a "UK" at the end, so I figure that's where they are.

No, they could be anywhere, it's the internet.

jerz wrote:
How much can they learn about me with that info?

That mainly depends on your name. Try googling the information you gave them and see what you can find out.

jerz wrote:
How worried should I be about identity theft?

As long as you didn't accidentally send them your credit card info, your PIN, your mobile phone number and such I'd suggest not to overreact.

**"Freedom? There ain't no fuckin' Freedom!"**
saltire
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

theres a lot of paranoia on this site. the scammers wont come looking for you. there are so many baiters they just dont care.

Unneeded quote removed. TS
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I wear a tinfoil hat, carry a shotgun and bait with a gmail account forwarded to hushmail hidden by a proxy. That is the ONLY way to bait.

Your IP address gives away nothing, so don't worry. I have done many evil things to lads, many of it without IP protection. Not one has come knocking.

Omar Safari Edo-Abeche T.W.A.T
Adamu Safari Lagos-Abeche
Emi Safari- S Africa-Egypt-Sudan 10k miles
Chris Safari Jolly Roger Dakar-Niger-BF-Cameroon-Lagos-Mali-Nairobi 9.6k miles

Kevin Pith Helmet 10 Safari Accra- BF x2, Togo x2, Kumasi x3, Bolgatanga, Benin City, Tamale x2 Suitcase 5k miles Tattoo x 6
Kenny Safari Safari Safari 3k miles- dont f*ck me up about the payment plz. i have a policy about that. I JUST GOT A SMALL GOAT TODAY AND ITS IN MY HOUSE NOW. i lobve the goat.
Goat
Ben Safari Safari Safari 2.5k miles

Misc Pith Helmet 20 Pith Helmet 5 Pith Helmet 5 Safari Safari Germany-Holland, Atlanta, Beijing-ChangZhou, London-Glasgow, TIMBUKTU x 2
lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

saltire wrote:
theres a lot of paranoia on this site. the scammers wont come looking for you. there are so many baiters they just dont care.

Very true, but to be on the safe side, it's always best to use proxies. Especially when logging on to eater. Wink

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

And never use an "I" or a "P" in your emails and you will be safe.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
baitshack
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My question is, if a scammer comes knocking on my door, will I get a really special safari award? Wink
pepper
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You should, provided you show the pictures of your scammer hog-tied on the floor. But he/she/it has to have all of their body parts still attached to the correct locations.
Dark Spirit
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ERROR IN FAQ.

I read the FAQ 10 times and I never saw the tinfoil hat mentioned Question
where can I get one Question Laughing Laughing Laughing

God himself wii judge you for trying to delay and make someones life a waste, Mother felicia, April 30th 2007
Thanks very much for fooling me ok and i dont have any other thing to say, Helimina Bright, May 1st 2007
Pleasantly, that we have understanding and continue intercourse, Elena USSR vlad, May 1st 2007
"read the stickies and the faqs." Newbie forum
pony
GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Look it up at Wikipedia. I thought we all wore them

I think we should get all our mugus to wear them so we don't have to - or would that be considered to be educating them ?

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic