SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Are lads now using Gmail to scam from?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Sidney
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

OK, so I opened up a shiny new Gmail account to use as a catcher account and seeded some guestbooks. Within 24 hours I had 3 emails with just the sort of potential I need for a new modality I am working on.
Only one minor problem; all 3 of the email come from Gmail accounts. I don't like not knowing where my pets are, they really cannot be trusted.
Is this a new trend the lads are leaning toward or did I just get some bad luck?
Les Noise
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If you're sure it's a scam it's not much of a problem more of an inconvenience..

There will be the usual tell tale signs if it's Nigeria. Business as usual is my guess.

I've had a couple myself. Damn Google for taking away the invite criteria.

One thing I thought of though is a few scammers have accused us of being 'gmail jokers' so a new modality could be to reply that you have heard there are a lot of scam artists using gmail so you can't deal with them unless they have a trusted Yahoo account. Rolling Eyes Cool

i

I believe when you received your payout you will compensate me.... .. Sure Will..

Jolly Roger

pony pony pony Mortar x11
thefife
Baiting Guru

Location: Soaked in Holy Ghost Fiyah...it tastes like chicken

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have one lad using gmail. I was talking to him for a week before I realized it. He's such a little bastard too...for some reason I think he might own the internet cafe. But I was surprised when I saw he was using gmail. He's in Benin according to him and the recipient info for WU.

Barr. Johnny Gawa: Hello Baby.
Let hope to make it more real for good. (+2 pics of him rockin his delicate underthings)

Pastor Ramesh:Dear Mother Guch33y B4ggs in christ,
...So we want repair our tached prayer house. If you would like to help us 500 dollars it will be great help...Now I am some pictures for your kind notice. I am waiting for your reply.
Thanking you. Yours in His service (+ Banner!)

Pastor Ramesh: I dont want any luxary life ...Presently I need bicycle. It cost nearly $100 dollars. If you give this it is great need for me.

Mortar 10+ Twisted Evil
Yakuza
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yup, all of the sudden i am also receiving Gmail emails. However doesnt the "phising email" option of Gmail make things better? One of us does it and whoever reads another email will be automatically warned "this email might not be of the person who it claims to be" by GMAIL.

"All the informations I had about you is that, You are Ruthless and merilessly and heartless Scientist and Politican. ??? Why are you wearing gloves in hands ????" Dr Nwa0gu.
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Guys, I believe readnotify.com will solve that problem. Sign up for a free service for a couple weeks. I don't think that gmail gets past that. I tried it on myself one time, and I believe it gave my location. I hope I am not mistaken...

Omar Safari Edo-Abeche T.W.A.T
Adamu Safari Lagos-Abeche
Emi Safari- S Africa-Egypt-Sudan 10k miles
Chris Safari Jolly Roger Dakar-Niger-BF-Cameroon-Lagos-Mali-Nairobi 9.6k miles

Kevin Pith Helmet 10 Safari Accra- BF x2, Togo x2, Kumasi x3, Bolgatanga, Benin City, Tamale x2 Suitcase 5k miles Tattoo x 6
Kenny Safari Safari Safari 3k miles- dont f*ck me up about the payment plz. i have a policy about that. I JUST GOT A SMALL GOAT TODAY AND ITS IN MY HOUSE NOW. i lobve the goat.
Goat
Ben Safari Safari Safari 2.5k miles

Misc Pith Helmet 20 Pith Helmet 5 Pith Helmet 5 Safari Safari Germany-Holland, Atlanta, Beijing-ChangZhou, London-Glasgow, TIMBUKTU x 2
Yakuza
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

U mean there is a way for lads to figure out our location too?! Shocked

"All the informations I had about you is that, You are Ruthless and merilessly and heartless Scientist and Politican. ??? Why are you wearing gloves in hands ????" Dr Nwa0gu.
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, they can. I just checked...

Austell, Georgia, United States (81% likelihood)

Really close to where I am right now. So, that is the deal. You have the tools now to track your gmail lad. T

hey also have the ability to track you. The lesson? IP protection means nothing. If your mugu is smart enough to even know what an IP is, then he probably could be savvy enough to find something like readnotify. What does that mean? Nothing. So what if they can track your IP. Not the end of the world by any means. Sometimes I use an account that hids my IP, others I don't. I have done some pretty mean things to lads, but never once had a mugu track me down.

Kevin Pith Helmet 10 Safari Accra- BF x2, Togo x2, Kumasi x3, Bolgatanga, Benin City, Tamale x2 Suitcase 5k miles Tattoo x 6
Kenny Safari Safari Safari 3k miles- dont f*ck me up about the payment plz. i have a policy about that. I JUST GOT A SMALL GOAT TODAY AND ITS IN MY HOUSE NOW. i lobve the goat.
Goat

Misc Pith Helmet 20 Pith Helmet 5 Pith Helmet 5 Safari Safari Germany-Holland, Atlanta, Beijing-ChangZhou, London-Glasgow, TIMBUKTU x 2
Finbarr Saunders
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Yakuza

Funny this topic has come up because I went through all these thoughts myself just a couple of days ago.

First of all you can relax about Gmail/Readnotify. Your IP is logged from an invisible remotely-hosted image linked from within the email, so if you use Gmail you won't get logged unless you choose to view images in the email, which is off by default. The image attachments are fine because they are contained within the email itself. On the flip side, Readnotify is unlikely to catch your lad's IP if he's using Gmail.

The other thing Readnotify does is send all kinds of MDNs and stuff by adding a bunch of headers, but they are hit and miss because it depends whether the mail reader at the other end honours any of those things, and they won't log any IP.

I ended up 'rolling my own' solution. I have a collection of remotely hosted images which I use for my innocent-looking email sigs, a unique one for each lad. When he opens the email it loads the image and the server logs all the info in the normal way - IP, timestamp etc. and it's completely transparent, unlike Readnotify which completely reformats the whole email and inserts all kinds of headers. On the face of it the email looks normal but under the skin it's a complete mess and even a cursory inspection will throw up red flags for your lad.

There is an excellent Firefox extension called Greasemonkey Multiple Signatures which lets me easily just click the lad's name to add his sig to the outgoing mail.

In conclusion, Readnotify is easy to use and does what it says on the tin, but you need to understand what's going on underneath. However, if you have a hosting account and a little technical knowledge I would recommend taking the time to set up something like I've done - I'll be happy to guide anyone through it, just pm me.

"May God Cancel you as you cancel this transaction in Jesus name amen" - Michael Smith
"we give out the loan at 2% interest rate anally" - Mr Gerrad
"May Okaja shrine kill u and ur house hold. Monkey." - Robert James

Sign My Mugu Guestbook
baitshack
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi. I'm new here, but this topic caught my attention.

Try www.ip-adress.com and see how close they come to your home. Should this be a cause for concern?
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
On the flip side, Readnotify is unlikely to catch your lad's IP if he's using Gmail.

I have to disagree. It nailed my location and I am in some podunk town in GA right now. Seems more than chance. I am pretty sure it works quite well.

Goat

Finbarr Saunders
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Do you load the images in your received emails though because that's what logs you. When I get an email which contains images, the message has a green border at the top with a link to load the images if I want to (which I never do).

EDIT: in Gmail go to Settings -> Contacts' pictures -> set it to 'Only show pictures that I've chosen for my contacts'

"May God Cancel you as you cancel this transaction in Jesus name amen" - Michael Smith
"we give out the loan at 2% interest rate anally" - Mr Gerrad
"May Okaja shrine kill u and ur house hold. Monkey." - Robert James

Sign My Mugu Guestbook

Last edited by Finbarr Saunders on Thu May 10, 2007 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It's the ip question all over again Very Happy

I use gmail. Would I bait from a yahoo non- ip stripping account - yes.

99% of all Lads don't know an ip number exists and fewer know what it means. I did come across one who spotted I was baiting him twice by matching up the same ip numbers being used - a true computer guru, which was completely blown when he said he was going to do me harm in France - my baiting location, not my actual location. I let him bask in his own false aura of intellectual superiority as I laughed.

If I ever meet a Lad mutation who can use an ip locator I know it'll lead him to a place several hundred miles from where I live. Just because it is technically possible to find a way round some of the protection you use, doesn't make it unsafe to bait, or pointless to take those take those precautions.

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Finbarr Saunders wrote:
Do you load the images in your received emails though because that's what logs you. When I get an email which contains images, the message has a green border at the top with a link to load the images if I want to (which I never do).

Mine are set as whatever the default is. I presume your mugu's account will be done the same. I woul never have thought to change that.

My point is, you CAN use readnotify to track your gmail mugu.

Goat

Cachuma
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

baitshack wrote:
Hi. I'm new here, but this topic caught my attention.

Try www.ip-adress.com and see how close they come to your home. Should this be a cause for concern?

YIKES! That nailed me down within a couple miles! Not that I'm too worried -- couple hundred thousand people in my city. It did show that my lad is in Nairobi, and tomorrow he's travelling to Accra, Ghana to meet me at the airport Laughing , which is on the other side of Africa at least a couple hundred miles away, so if this works I might just qualify for my first safari!

Closed lad accounts x15 Malaysia X1 United Kingdom X1

Hello Kitty! <---TS certified.
viereinsneun
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

baitshack wrote:
... see how close they come to your home.

Well they've missed me by about 14.5km [as the crow flies - much more if you take the designated roads]

Actually, when I zoom in on the map and Google Earth image, it places me in the middle of a Road with an abandoned Munitions Storage facility on one side and a High-security Prison on the other side.

Haha! Like to see them track me down. Razz
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As I said before ...
What readnotify reports: http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=835639#835639

and further down that topic, what the green banner looks like: http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=836629#836629

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
marty
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've had a few lads using gmail, one even talked to me threw google chat Smile makes a change from yahoo IM
miyu
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've probably run across 2 dozen or so lads using Gmail at least. A few of them got invites when that was done but now it's open to anyone Mad and the lads have discovered it. I wish google had kept the invite.

[08:08] pastor_jerry45: b4 u try anything on me....i will destroy, i will make ur life impossible (Yim "romance" scammer)

PA writes: I wouldn't mind if you locate the House in Tokyo or Osaka, as long as it is good and very close to where you stay, so that we can always keep in close touch with eash other. (Oh, warm and fuzzy feeling).
Prolix
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you really want to know where your lads are, just ask them where to send the WU transfer. Smile

"You are criminal, don't write to this box again." - [mask:1]Joseph Foley[/mask:1]

"I TAUGHT YOU WOULD HAVE ASKED AND ALLOWED ME TO GIVE YOU THE ANSWERS
BUT YOU STARTED BEHAVING AS IF YOU ARE THE ONE THAT IS DRUNK." - [mask:1]Mohammed Zongo[/mask:1]

"GET LOST. BASTERRD POEPLE." - [mask:1]Paul Dakotan[/mask:1]

"I really thank you for your jokes. But please i want it to put to stop." - [mask:1]Mohammed Zongo[/mask:1]
Sheridan
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

baitshack wrote:

This one puts me two rather large states away from where I really am. It will only be a problem if you are sitting on top of your ISP's server and even then it will not be very precise. They would be better off looking up your ISP's address in the phone book.

Their Privacy Guard proxy is a very easy to setup and use affair though and works very well. Bit on the pricy side and a subscription though. It is worth a look.
jefflebowski
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sidney wrote:
I don't like not knowing where my pets are, they really cannot be trusted.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

So you trust them when you know where they are??
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic