SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Atlantic Monthly on B8ers & 419Eater. UPDATED LINK

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
MikeH
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just appeared:
This article from The Atlantic Online has been sent to you by:

http://www.theatlantic.com/r/rdQSoB8fPYk%3D%0A

This link will expire on May 10. Also note that, if you are not yet an Atlantic subscriber, you may access the article only by following the link.

The article really annoyed me. It is superficial and judgmental. The author seems to think that baiters are almost as bad as scammers, if not worse.

He also seems to think that racism underlies most of our actions His "proof": just look at all the pictures in the trophy room. Yeah, right.

His gratuitous (and unwelcome) explicit advice to us is "lose the trophy room." His gratuitous (and unwelcome) implicit advice is, "stop having so much fun."

However, you might say that any publicity is good publicity, and if it gets more people into baiting, I have to approve.

404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404 404

Last edited by MikeH on Tue May 08, 2007 12:01 am; edited 2 times in total
icrighthruU
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The carved computer is old news send the writer a link to the lad who lights himself on fire Twisted Evil
Spudz
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow, he really got the wrong end of the stick there. I have never seen anyone here claiming to "own" a Lad, or ANY mention of racism other than it will not be tolerated and rightly so.

I`m sure we`re going to have some crazies come a calling after that.

EDIT: and where did he get this from?
Quote:
And then there are troubling hints on the Web sites of an even darker practice known as �extreme anti-scamming,� which seems to involve physical attacks on scammers

Rolling Eyes x 10

Javed Main:I received your e-mail message but cannot read very well due to the injection I took last night/Please for Gods sake i would'nt like you to address my bank as feck/You are a priest and you are bold enough to tell me that you took 3 bottles of the finest whiskey/Please i am not ready to take more of your insult.

NIGERIA HE GOAT
IF YOU EVER SEND THIS TYPE OF THINGS TO MY EMAIL;; I WILL SHOW MY SELF TO YOU BASTAD NIGERIA HE GOAT....F*CK OFF AND DIE OF UNGER

YOU ARE SUCH A NONENTITY, I NEVER KNEW PEOPLE LIKE YOU STILL IN EXISTENCE. WHAT AN INGLORIOUS BASTARD ARE YOU?

Closed lad accounts x 10-2x33/8 you do the hokey cokey and you turn around and that's what it's all about
AlexS
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Now i'm not what you would call experienced at this. But all i see this scam-baiting stuff as being is getting one back on the people who are hurting the innocent.

I cannot believe that this journo thinks it could be a twisted revenge for the slave trade or about racism.
Some people just can't accept the truth.

[rant over]
AlexS
FiveForces
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The lads wouldnt be doing all the things we inflict on them if they wern't trying to rob us. The colour of their skin and exactly what lengths they're willing to go to to scam money out of "innocent victims" is incidental to the fact that they would happily rob an old woman blind if she could get to a Western Union office!

Still, I always enjoy reading about the things fellow baiters have put lads through Laughing

"GO AND DIE AND NOPT LIVE OK, YOU STUPID FOUL YOU TAKEW ME FOR PLAY? SEND YOUR SHIPPING INFO AND THAT ALL YOU TALK STUPID, SEND ME YOUR NUMBER THAT ALKL I NEED FROM YOU. NO NUKMBER GO AND DON;T SEND NO MONEY AND SEND HAVE NO PUPPY"
~ Bri Thany

"The whole situation is becoming ridiculous and absurd. Its hard to explain how a transaction that normally takes a few minutes to be concluded is starting to run into weeks."
~ Genesis Art & Craft

"you are treating me like a fool which is not supposed to be done"
~ Barryston Morgan

"I don't understand this...Its like you are playing on my intelligence."
~ Peter Roy
anitamugu
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Way too preachy an article for my taste. Sounds like someone just wanted a soapbox moment.
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
This specificity probably shouldn�t be seen as evidence of possession of actual nuclear devices, though it might suggest where the �intelligence� on Saddam�s WMD originated.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Someone's tinfoil hat needs another layer.

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Did this pompous windbag take the trouble to speak to anyone here? I don't like his 'holier than thou' pseudo-intellectual, sneering tone either but I guess any article that brings scamming to the attention of a wider public has to be A Good Thing.

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\

Last edited by Gnasher on Fri May 04, 2007 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
VigilantCustard
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A pretty decent and even-handed article, in my view. True, there are moments where his writing is a little cheez-y and immature, but for the most part it's an interesting and relatively objective outsider's analysis of what goes on here. It is obvious that the author's heart is in the right place--He is not trying to push an anti-scambaiter agenda, he is just trying to understand the realities of what is going on here.

"PUNISH YOU ONE MILLIONS TIMES.I SAID THAT YOU DID NOT SENT ANY MONEY AND SWEAT TO YOUR MOTHER AND FATHER GRAVE THAT YOU SENT MONEY.I KNEW REALLY THAT YOU ARE VERY HOPELESS NONSENSE MAN LIVINF IN HUNGRY IN AMERICAN.DON'T NOT SEND A MAIL AGAIN OK.IF YOU REPLY THIS MAIL GOD WILL BURN YOUR FAMILY WITH FIRE.GOD PUNISH YOU FOREVER AND YOUR FAMILY YOU SCAMMER AND YOU WILL NEVER SEE GOOD THINGS IN YOUR LIFE AGAIN.YOU THINK THAT YOU CAN JOKE WITH ME AND GO FREE."
"THANK YOU YOU SO MUCH FOR GIVING ME FUCK PHONE NUMBER,FAX NUMBER AND NONSENSE WESTERN UNION INFORMATIONS.ONLY GOD KNOWS WHO IS WHO?"
Franc28
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Given how even-handed you guys are in treating your own hobby... Rolling Eyes ... an opposite perspective is rather welcome, in my view.

Fighting the forces of censorship and getting his sig deleted by admins since 1989.
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I would have to say that I agree with a couple of his observations, but that I could argue that him believing that having a bunch of pictures of black scammers implies racism implies that he may have a bit of racism in his own statement if that is his first conclusion. He is basically drawing the conclusion that all scammers are black. It is like going to one "mommy and me class" and saying that all the members are always women. (I use to take my kids to those also) So he would be sexist making that statement.

He is probably reading this . . . Hi!

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I thought it was an interesting article, and if not saying that scambaiting has pushed over the edge of what is and is not acceptable, it does highlight areas that we would need to be careful of.
rhinocoress
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

who cares what he thinks, theres nothing injust about this kind of recreation. the lads that fall for a bait are actually deserving of it, unlike their victims, and they can easily back down from the humiliation if they werent blinded by greed.
he treats scam baiting like a job in some way, this is all volunteer, and all in fun; to protect the decieved out there and bring a little more fairness to the tables since the authorities have less ability to control online fraud
it wasn't me
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I was so ready to just tut and think Rolling Eyes about his article, but, I thought he was actually very kind about Eater and the things we do. To some people, the things we get up to are a cause for discussion. Many times on this forum, someone will say "But is it right?"
I, for one, think tattoo's/branding/cattle prod up the arse etc is too good for these low life w*****rs, but that's because I've seen the photo's of the burn/cancer/death victims they use to gain sympathy and in the end, money and I've read far too many sad stories of old ladies/young mums/broken hearted men, who've been conned out of everything, sometimes even losing thier homes.
So, in the end, I thought his article was fair.

(Climbs down off soapbox and walks away waiting for a slap))

Pretty Rose

pony

Last edited by it wasn't me on Fri May 04, 2007 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Interesting, and I'd agree with about 85%. He gets some stuff just wrong, such as the carving (the sqirrel was in the head, not the Commodore (wasn't it?), and draws some unusual conclusions especially regarding the ethics, but he is right in some areas, particularly..

While it must be annoying to have people endlessly turn up here and say "um this is a bit extreme", or "hang on, this guy is innocent" some of the reactions have been quite nasty.

This comment
Quote:
Maybe it's time to weed out the innocent? Shouldn't baiting be aimed just at the guilty, minimising collateral damage as much as possible?
elicited this quick response
Quote:
I turn around and we're hugging lads again?
which was undeserved in my view.

Sometimes it seems more fun to go with a good bait and justify the inclusion of extras by saying
Quote:
They might not even be innocent.
which appeared a bit lower down. Or
Quote:
there are undoubtedly some other lads in the choir who might well be involed in fraud, the main lad is a 419er, and chances are that some of his friends in that church are likely to be involved in or have been involved in 419 before, so I don't feel that bad
(My italics)
Methinks someone is trying too hard to justify things, but I got slapped for a much more minor comment and I fully expect to be slapped again for this.
Perhaps the best comment I found was this one from Pastor Frank
Quote:
We do need to self police to make sure we don't get out of line

Don't slap the reality checkers - they perform a service too.

Coo, that went off the subject a bit didn't it? - I must have been storing that up..

Purple Flower
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think that was the point I was trying to make. That the article doesn't necessarily say we're doing anything particularly wrong at the moment, it's just saying to be aware of what's going on and be aware that at times we're pushing limits.

The times when I've had a bit of a moral dilemma are when reading the scam-baits related to wood carvings and/or novel copying. It's not that I feel sorry for the actual scammers, but I doubt that they're the ones who end up doing the work on those sorts of tasks. So in the end a real artist/sculptor or poor sod who spends days copying out a book gets nothing because the scammer isn't going to pay them until he gets his money (which he never will). That's a bit of a grey area in my opinion.

(If what i just wrote makes any sense).
Gantz
419Eater is my life

Location: Sitting on the most uncomfortable chair it has ever been my misfortune to own. It numbs my bum :(

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Seems to me that the journo is a little naive and needs to learn a bit more about human nature. Other than that and his dwelling on the racism issue I thought it was pretty flattering toward the site.
thefife
Baiting Guru

Location: Soaked in Holy Ghost Fiyah...it tastes like chicken

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I thought he brought up some interesting ideas about cyber behavior and trying to analyze how the baiter/scammer dynamic can evolve into someone handwriting Harry Potter, sending carvings, getting tatts. IMO, it would have been a much more interesting article if he'd focused on that.

The whole rascism aspect sounded like white guilt. Frankly, I don't understand why an African scammer would even say they are scamming people because of the slave trade b/c their ancestors were the ones collecting fees for rounding up the people to be sold. Obviously, Africa has been exploited in disgusting ways, but that doesn't give scammers the right to bilk average people out of their hard earned money. Why not run scams against the British, French, US, etc. goverments if it's all about exacting justice for exploitation? If the author is so concerned about rascism, why not look into how these scammers are doing everything in their power to diminish the world's view of Africans, especially Nigerians?

These lads are liars and theives plain and simple. They will do anything to anyone for a buck and it's ok to say that if it's true. I agree some of the things baiters have had lads do is kind of mean, but it's no meaner than a scammer convincing someone to send them their life savings. If a lad is willing to get a tattoo, hold up a sign, send an audition video, or get piercings, then that was his choice, he could have said no and hurled death threats for the baiter to put in their sig. What's wrong w/ expecting the scammers to take some responsibility for what THEY started in the first place? Baiting is a consequence for their decision to send out the scam email, why is the author crying foul b/c the scammer ended up getting played? Too bad, so sad, oh well!

Barr. Johnny Gawa: Hello Baby.
Let hope to make it more real for good. (+2 pics of him rockin his delicate underthings)

Pastor Ramesh:Dear Mother Guch33y B4ggs in christ,
...So we want repair our tached prayer house. If you would like to help us 500 dollars it will be great help...Now I am some pictures for your kind notice. I am waiting for your reply.
Thanking you. Yours in His service (+ Banner!)

Pastor Ramesh: I dont want any luxary life ...Presently I need bicycle. It cost nearly $100 dollars. If you give this it is great need for me.

Mortar 10+ Twisted Evil
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'll be curious to see the reaction here if someone dies (and the most likely idiots are stunt boy and the various, now well stranded, safari boys).
Don't get me wrong, I believe that they have most of what they get coming to them. My only concern is collateral damage that goes beyond the everyday inconveniences of life and involves innocent people getting their hopes up for something that will never happen - isn't it precisely that which they are doing to the victims, money aside? The carvers and handwriters would not have had those dreams so they would have had none to be dashed (and they can kick the lad for non-payment)
Stunt boy is another matter - is it ethical to beat up (or get him to beat himself up) when he is clearly such a complete idiot? It's like trying to depress teenagers, way too easy.

You've got to be careful of collateral damage, in my view, so you don't end up with more people angry with 'whitey' and seeking revenge, quite apart from the ethics.

Of course if I was that worried I wouldn't be here..

Purple Flower
it wasn't me
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

GordonBennett wrote:
so you don't end up with more people angry with 'whitey' and seeking revenge, quite apart from the ethics.

That's like saying all scammers are 'black'. All scambaiters are not 'white' Confused

No offence GB, maybe it just read wrong?

Pretty Rose

pony
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

None taken - that's why I put it in quote marks - I'm guessing it would be their reaction.

Purple Flower
chatterbot
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The author starts with some entertaining stories about our lad-humiliation then addresses the immediate concerns that most readers would have. He ends with some finger-wagging.

Anyway, moving on to the author's substantive concerns: "What started out as a good-natured form of rough justice has become, in some respects, a theater of cruelty."

Um, ok, but these are criminal we're talking about, ones largely untouched by the justice system. I suspect that all of them would choose our humiliation over the sentencing that would be meted out by any partly-functioning judicial system. The trophy room really doesn't inflict any cruel and unusual punishment: it's more like a slap on the wrists.

Anyway, I consider this good publicity and fairly weak criticism. Some of the author's lit-crit language was pretty funny, albeit unintentionally in part.
GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Is he speaking for the victims ? and does he know who the victims are ? It sounds to me as if he has misplaced his concerns to those who may complain the loudest (the scammers), not the real victims who are too ashamed and devastated to be able to voice their own despair.

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

thefife wrote:
If the author is so concerned about rascism, why not look into how these scammers are doing everything in their power to diminish the world's view of Africans, especially Nigerians?

In some ways I think this is perhaps the best argument for scam-baiting that is out there. Scammers are seriously degrading their own country's reputation by doing what they are doing, and potentially seriously harming their own country's economy in the process. What business in their right mind would deal with Nigeria knowing the place's reputation, unless they were absolutely 110% sure it was legit. The number of international business deals that are simply not happening because of Nigeria's reputation could potentially be staggering.

It could be argued that we're fighting for Nigeria's reputation, that people from that country should be thanking us for doing our little bit to stop scammers from destroying their country's international reputation.
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
....But some in the scam-baiting community also take pleasure in mean-spirited mockery,

There is nothing mean-spirited in my mockery. It is nothing more than the lowlife scammers deserve, irrespective of the colour of their skin, their religious beliefs and their sexual orientation.

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic