SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Chance for an arrest??

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
mike hunter
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I work check mule scams. I was UPSed a check the other day that the tracking number shows was sent from like 60 miles from me....

I am dropping the bait, but since one of the scammers in local does any one think that it is worht while to contact the police?

Anti-419
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Are you sure it's from the scammer and not a mule? Lad can use innocent third party as mules to send out fake checks. You can try to report it to the police to see what happens. It will most likely depend on the law of your state. The police can't do much if they know you are actually baiting the scammers (entrapment).

James Bruce: "Thanks for your mail and also your insult to my personality and company."

Baiting Record:
Trophies - 128 | 4 AM Airport Taxi - 6
Nurse Nastys Audi TT Safari - Sierra Leone to Nigeria - "...please help me ,you brought me here to NIgeria.take me out."
Mortar x14
Togawa
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You can go to the police but you should be aware that at this point you're in possesion of a stolen check or a forged check.
If you claim that you've received it legally, you'll have to provide some evidence that you don't have.
They're not going to get the check, thank you, let you go and start working on it.
If you file for fraud, eventually, you'll have to prove that you received the check in good faith and that you're, somehow, entitled to receive it.
I wouldn't go to the police without checking with a lawyer first.
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Baiting is not entrapment as long as you didn't send out the email first. And as long as you didn't at any time coerce him into doing what he did.

And possession of a fake check is not a crime. Trying to cash it or pass it is a crime. At least in the US. (disclaimer IANAL) Just like receiving a fake dollar bill. You see it is fake and turn it into the police. They aren't going to arrest you for having it, only if you try to spend it.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
Jervis Tetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mike^^^

Put the check in your scrapbook of 'Treasured Mugu Memories'..And leave the cops out of it.

What a FUCK, for doing this i will make sure by tomorrow i will be in Washington and send the FBI to pick you up where ever you are by all means just believe i must do this and use it as a prove that i am who i am. I give you just 1 hour to take my passport out from that page or eles when i get to Washington there will be no forgiveness just take my word. I will send all boxes and documents covering the boxes in your name to Washington and you will be asked so many question and if possible you will go to Jail with my power i PROMISE I MUST DO IT.
His Excellency Ambassador Dr. Kwame Bawuah-Edusei
mrsbean
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The chances of the police bothering to charge you if you come in with a few printed emails showing how you got the check and turn it in all nice and proper without trying to cash it are pretty slim. They have to be able to prove some sort of intent to make it stick in court, at least in most states. For example, here's NY state law.

Quote:
PL 170.20 Criminal possession of a forged instrument in the third degree: A person is guilty of criminal possession of a forged instrument in the third degree when, with knowledge that it is forged and with intent to defraud, deceive or injure another, he utters or possesses a forged instrument.

You can probably do a quick google and see how your state's laws are written.

I recall someone (a baiter) I spoke to directly claiming they were hassled a bit by their local sheriff when they attempted to turn in a fake check from a bait. He assumed (for some reason) these two college kids were trying out their own handiwork on the police before trying to cash it. Reading between the lines, I suspect they may have been a bit smart-alecky to him and only taken the check on the first visit, however. When they showed the emails from the bait, the sheriff had to back off.

I doubt many jurisdictions are going to want to waste their time and taxpayer dollar on you if you turn it in. I tell a lot of real victims of fake check scams to turn in the check to the police/postmaster each week. Not a single one of them has ever come back to me and said, "You know, the police want to arrest me for turning in that check!" The only fake check victims I'm aware of that had a problem were ones who had actually cashed the check. That's a whole other ball of yarn.

Straightbait

Nifty anti-scam sites of interest
Artists Against 419 | Fraudwatchers |Scamomatic | Scampatroll Scam Victims United | Fake Checks Dot Org
Jervis Tetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi mrsbean^^

There are of course many sad instances of trusting scam victims who cash the fake over-draft and eventually wind up in trouble with their bank over it all. Not to mention the money they lost.

But please do not be deluded into thinking of turning it all over to the cops--at least here in the colonies. It could very well be a case of the cure worse than the ailment.

Cashing a forged instrument at a bank could be construed and interpreted in this sort of scam as an honest mistake, nice victims who had no clue... but a misdemeanor at the least.

However, presenting all this to the cops is also technically an admission of a crime--gullibility no excuse--and there's always some late-20s young prosecutor looking for her/his first felony conviction. And cashing a fake lad check could indeed be a felony---a far more serious crime.

What a FUCK, for doing this i will make sure by tomorrow i will be in Washington and send the FBI to pick you up where ever you are by all means just believe i must do this and use it as a prove that i am who i am. I give you just 1 hour to take my passport out from that page or eles when i get to Washington there will be no forgiveness just take my word. I will send all boxes and documents covering the boxes in your name to Washington and you will be asked so many question and if possible you will go to Jail with my power i PROMISE I MUST DO IT.
mrsbean
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Did you miss the last two sentences of my post? I did specify that there is a difference between cashing a check and simply turning in a received check to the proper authorities.

Quote:
The only fake check victims I'm aware of that had a problem were ones who had actually cashed the check. That's a whole other ball of yarn.

I volunteer on an anti-fraud site geared toward victims, so I field lots of questions from people in the States who get fake checks. I've spoken to, at a lowball estimate, at least 80 fake check victims over the past year who turned in their UNCASHED fake check to the local police and/or postmaster. And I'm just counting ones I've emailed or exchanged messages with, not the site at large. Not a one of them that I'm aware of has been hassled by the police, postal inspector or the DA. Since I heard from most of them after they turned it in, I don't think they're all currently in a secret underground bunker awaiting execution for turning it in. That's my personal experience, so take it for what it's worth.

I always tell them to take anything that arrived with the check, envelpes, boxes, any letters that accompanied the check, printouts of the emails, if any, and keep the original emails in case the police want to see headers. There's typically a report filed, the check is received, tagged and bagged, and that's it. Generally, I steer them to the postal inspector as a matter of preference, because I know it's going to be mostly a matter of paperwork and the more apathetic police departments are likely to steer them there anyway.

I've spoken to one baiter (not one here) who claimed the sheriff gave them a hard time and tried to make out like these two smart alecky college kids obviously had done the fake check on their own printer and were making a show of turning it in to find out how good their work was. I suspect, reading between the lines of the acount, that the only reason the sheriff did so is because 1) they only brought in the fake check, no emails or mailing materials to support their story and 2) they mouthed off to the sheriff in the first place when he questioned them about where they got it. They were not charged, they simply had to bring in and show the emails that proved they had gotten the check mailed to them. On the other hand, I know a few baiters who have standing arrangements with a particular local LEO to turn in their baited fake checks.

By contrast, I've spoken to probably a couple dozen victims in the States who have been charged or otherwise hassled by the bank. Some have been terminated as customers, even, for committing the secondary crime of not having a big bank balance and therefore not being profitable enough. But the important distinction here is that they actually cashed the check and generally there is the additional circumstance that they withdrew the money. Meaning the "victim" of the crime (the bank, in this case) didn't have far to leap to imagine intent, and actually had a legitimate claim that the fake check had cost them something, even if only time and employee resources. In a few cases, the victims had criminal records already, which made the bank a lot less forgiving, and/or had previous financial difficulty of some sort with the bank.

I wouldn't suggest walking in to your local bank to turn in a known fake check, but I've never had a baiter or victim tell me they had a problem when they presented the check and minimal evidence that they didn't create it themselves to the postal inspector or the local police.

Straightbait

Nifty anti-scam sites of interest
Artists Against 419 | Fraudwatchers |Scamomatic | Scampatroll Scam Victims United | Fake Checks Dot Org
Jervis Tetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hi mrsbean^^

Not in disagreement with you..We're both in the same war.

As I have posted here before, see www.bustedupcowgirl.com It's a great Lad-check website.

Here in the USA, it all depends on what the bank affiliate is. If the bank is FDIC-insured, that means that The Feds will investigate any and all crimes. If it is the other--A Credit Union bank--it is merely a crime investigated by state/local authorities.

To give an example--cash a forged check at an FDIC bank--you could get up to 10 yrs in a Federal prison and a fine way more than the check.. Do it at a CU bank and you could be facing probation or maybe a year in the Hotel Graybars, if any prosecution....The lads do not care, in any event.

Herb Sewell
419Eater is my life

Location: Atascadero State Hospital for the Criminally Insane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I save what checks I've gotten, but I cut them in half Idea
Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well since the OP is not going to try and cash the check, there is probably not much to worry about. If he turns it in to LE they will be more then likely obligated to take action which means a crime report will be taken. If it can be followed up it will, if not the case will be suspended.

You don�t have to try to cash a fake check for it to be considered a crime. Possession of a forged check (in my state at least) IS a crime if it is possessed with intent to defraud. As mrsbean pointed out, knowledge and intent must also be present when passing the check, so I don�t understand why victims have been charged.

DrWho is right about the entrapment issue with one exception. Entrapment is only an issue when LE, a person working for, or under the direction of LE is involved. A regular citizen cannot entrap anyone without the help of a cop.
Jervis Tetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

TFG^

Altruism is a good thing indeed.

Contacting the authorities in person with a forged document--in YOUR possession--is indeed a noble effort in fighting this particular crime that The Lads use often. But you need to think twice on it.

I myself contact US-LE whenever given the op when the rascals give me a valid American venue. But I do it all anonymously via the computer...I'm not about to just walk in the cop-shop and say 'here's a crime and some evidence'..Some cop can say--put the cuffs on until we sort it out..

Having never been arrested in over 50 years, I'm not going to fill out any official scam report with MY name attached to it. Neither should you.

cheerz---jervis tetch /mad hatter

Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You�re not going to get arrested for reporting a crime. Since you got them by baiting, there is not intent to defraud (this is the law in my state at least). The worse thing that will happen is you will get a strange look from the cop. I was not suggesting that baiters should turn these checks in. Not because the baiter can be arrested but it just waste LE time as nothing can usually be done.

I know some baiters have their own PO boxes. The only benefit to turning checks in to LE is that if you ever have a check confiscated you could prove you had no intent to defraud. There would be a record of you turning checks you received in. Before any baiter turns a check in, he or she should check their local law and make sure that mere possession of a fake or forged check in not a crime. This should probably be done before baiting check mules.

When I first started baiting I was still a cop. I took the checks in and logged them into evidence myself to be destroyed. I guess I could have arrested myself but I knew I was innocent even though that�s what they all say. The next time I receive a check I will see if I can get my wife to put the cuffs on me. Maybe I can get her to do it while wearing a sexy nurse outfit. Wish me luck.
Jervis Tetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ghost^

So you're a former LEO as you say.

If true,--and no proof on it for obvious reasons, I'll take your say-so on it. An honorable profession in most countries. In W. Africa and Mexico the bribe to the cop is the usual way things are done.

But if in your LE career you gathered anything, it should be that people know that cops the world-over are not to be trusted. Cover Your Ass is the guiding tenet of the thin blue line. Police officers lie and frame people, and unduly arrest helpful citizens too. I am not however getting into an anti-cop dogfight here, just pointing out the obvious.

There is absolutely NO way you could ever convince me to blithely walk into a police station in this regard and have my name attached to some 419 crime and not think that the police won't also file my name on it too. Only an idiot would do that, and cops love idiots.

When I do contact police agencies to notify them of 419 scams as they apply to the USA, I'm not so stupid as to provide them with my real name and location. Yes they could conceivably trace my headers, but then they suddenly become the jerks too.....Makes me ponder why the hell I even try to help, as jaded as I am, but I still do.

The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Jervis:

I am a former prosecutor. I cannot imagine that you would get charged for this. If the OP walked into my office back when I was doing that with the check and the e-mails I would not charge them. Now the person that is 60 miles from the OP would have to be investigated. I am not up on the check mule scam so I don't know if the person that sent the check to the OP is an innocent bystander or not... The other issue with turning in the check is what can they do? I mean if the check came from Nigeria or wherever your local LEO can't do a thing. Heck the Postal Inspector or FBI probably can't do much.

Now as for your rant against police officers in general, our town just had the second one killed in the line of duty in a year this past week, so please forgive me for now placing you on my internal ignore list.

YOU ARE A CHILD OF SATAN WITH YOUR HUNGRY DIRTY BODY ,TUNDER FIRE YOU BIG HEAD IDIOT !!! HA HA HA HA HA

IS THIS HOW YOU DECIDED TO TREAT US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUGH?YOU MADE US TRAVELLED TO ABUJA AND INDEBTED US.

"Cursed is your mother that gave birth to a family-disgrace like you. Cursed is your father he could not control his lust for anything under skate"

"hey u crakhead motherf*cking nitwit, from the way u express the cockamamy sh*t that ur dumb brain is made up of it's so obvious that u never really made it past elementary school but anywayz dogs don't have to go to school afterall."

Pith Helmet (Lagos to Abuja)
Netherlands China Canada x2 United Kingdom Spain Ivory Coast Germany

Hello Kitty! <---in lieu of a brownie. TS
Mortar x8
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh and Ghost, thanks for your willingness to serve and protect. There are some of us that still appreciate that. Thanks for coming home alive at the end of your shift.

YOU ARE A CHILD OF SATAN WITH YOUR HUNGRY DIRTY BODY ,TUNDER FIRE YOU BIG HEAD IDIOT !!! HA HA HA HA HA

IS THIS HOW YOU DECIDED TO TREAT US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUGH?YOU MADE US TRAVELLED TO ABUJA AND INDEBTED US.

"Cursed is your mother that gave birth to a family-disgrace like you. Cursed is your father he could not control his lust for anything under skate"

"hey u crakhead motherf*cking nitwit, from the way u express the cockamamy sh*t that ur dumb brain is made up of it's so obvious that u never really made it past elementary school but anywayz dogs don't have to go to school afterall."

Mortar x8
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Ghost,
I bet there is someone here that could help with finding a sexy nurse outfit. Laughing

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
Jen Derbender
flabbergasted

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jervis Tetch wrote:
I am not however getting into an anti-cop dogfight here

Then don't post inflammatory comments without substantiation.

Please allow me to remind you that this is 419eater.com. On this forum, law enforcement is an ally. LEO are members of this forum, and assist us in transmitting details of criminal behaviour to local law enforcement agencies.

@Ghost:

I echo The Man's comments. Thank you for your service, and for keeping yourself safe.

FUCK? FUCK AND FUCK YOU. YOUR NOTHING BUT SHIT OKEY, ARE YOU ARE OFF BACK TO SENDER... YOUR ARE A BIG RAT OKEY FUCK YOUR SELF UP AND WHOM EVER THAT SUPPORT YOU, FOOL FUCK YOUR MOTHER WITH NO SPAM, RAT. - Kaosiso Chukwu

"Folken sheet like you.Beach,your mother and your house maid are folken themselves... Folk your folks... you comes when you are been fingered which makes you an idiot of sex luncering.You will never understand that english because it is not made for people like you." - Insane Idiot

Does your lad have too much time and phone credits on his hands? Have him call the Integrated Customer Service Call Centre at +1 206 905 9742! Dissatisfaction guaranteed!

United Kingdom x2 China Nigeria United States Ivory Coast x2 Closed lad accounts x?
GeneralAbacha
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As much as I hate to admit it, I could see someone walking into the police station with a fake cheque and having some sort of negative experience... when the wrong cop was at the desk, a few minutes after being chewed out by the staff sergeant ... stranger things have happened. I would imagine that everything would eventually be sorted out, but this might well be after some interrogation or a brief detention who knows. In general the police would probably be thankful (though powerless to act) for the tip and I don't think any real trouble would ensue 99 times out of 100. Policemen are only human and are subject to all the same stresses, distractions and limitations as everyone else. In my line of work I have met more than a few that have been known to allow personal feelings or circumstances affect their application of the law. Dealing with the police is never 100%.

Also she said that we need to organized some girls for a lesbian club here , then we will used them and make money , but it will needs some financial support , that if you are here with us that it will be more easy to organized . I know some big girls here that in this lesbian club , they have nice sports car and live in good bungalow.

- Joyce Organ

I WOULD ADVICE YOU TO WRITE JUSTICE AMADU BELLO AND APPOLOGISE TO HIM, YOU SHOULD TELL HIM WHY YOU ARE SCARED IS BECAUSE OF THE BELLO IN HIS NAME. YOU SHOULD TELL HIM TO FIND YOUR HUSBAND FROM THE HANDS OF HOSTAGEER AND ARREST USMAN BELLO AND THE HOSTAGE GANGS.

-Charles Soludo
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

General:

I can understand that fear, especially if you just walk in out of the blue to the front desk. Most cities of any size, however, have a unit or officer devoted just to computer related things. Going after sexual predators, getting evidence off a hard drive, that sort of thing. That is the person I would want to talk to if I had to turn something like this in. It takes a little more effort than just flaging a patrol car down on the street to report this kind of thing.

Mortar x8
B. A. Ware
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Jervis,

you said:
Quote:
Only an idiot would do that, and cops love idiots

thats because they rarely get a chance to talk to the smart ones.
Jervis Tetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

To all the above to me^^

I guess I'm too jaded. I remember Bull Connor from Birmingham. Frank Rizzo. Antoinette Frank. Mark Fuhrmann. Many more. If I offended I have no intention of doing so. I truly seek the truth. The facts are there.

Yes--the bad apples in the barrel. The way I suppose decent hardworking honest Nigerians feel about 419ers.

I have never been victimized by The lads---but I have had money stolen by me from US police. Been framed by them too on tickets. Pick a yellow NYC cab, any cab, and write the ticket for 'michegas'. Common theme in the 1970s. And for the record--never arrested in my life. I never even tore off those 'mattress warning' labels, under penalty of law....

Later on they stole more from me in a diff venue. It still leaves me mad. I spent over $6000 to fight them legally to recover appx $35K and learned it would cost me almost $25K to do it..The math is evident. This too why most victims of 419 have to give up in the fight.

Anyone want to put me on their s**tlist, go ahead. I am not anti-cop. It's been over 13 years since the cops stole my money, but still I empathize with financial victims. The sense of being stabbed in the heart never goes away, as well as basic trust. Happy to provide the details via PM.

Last edited by Jervis Tetch on Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Jervis Tetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Man^^

Most posters here might not be aware that in the USA a 'prosecutor' has the ability to bring up charges on anybody for anything--and even if it's a frame-up, they cannot be held liable financially nor legally for destroying the life of anyone they deem guilty. Just to make that clear. Reference Mike Nifong recently.

You being an ex-ADA-prosecutor, and into 419 scambaiting, I look forward to your posts.

Jervis Tetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

End of this issue by me. Hopefully you will never have money stolen from you by 'the badge' either.

My intent here was never to antagonize nor dog-fight with any poster..Not my style.. But I stand by my words. End transmission.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic