SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Favourite books

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
sgreenstreet
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've got a thing for Mark Twain, but my favorite novel is Dune by Frank Herbert.

I'm currently reading Sacred Games by Vikram Chandra. It's kinda like The Godfather based in Bombay...

Sid
soldatman
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I always like to suggest 400 pages of rabbits when someone asks that question, Watership Down by Richard Adams. seriously though i liked it. probably all that brian jacques i read as a kid.

oh and 1984

<a href="http://www.sub-radar.com/sounds_samples/section_soundz/modem_sound.mp3" target="_blank">The worst sound in the world</a>

<a href="http://www.robrob8.com/games/slap_the_monkey.htm" target="_blank">Practice your slapping here</a>

Last edited by soldatman on Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Jen Derbender
flabbergasted

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

heres_jonny wrote:
This may seem a bizarre question, but I have a non-baiting related problem: without a book, I can't sleep. Probably something habitual, but I need something to read before I nod off.

I'm exactly the same way. I'll read technical manuals before going to sleep if that's what it takes.

However, for some cracking good reads (which have, unfortunately, kept me up until 4 AM on more than one occasion):

- anything in the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. Excerpts from several of these books went into the 'Master and Commander' movie. Read the books. They are WAY better.

- the Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser. The fellow who wrote 'Octopussy'. Engaging, erudite, highly politically incorrect, and very, very funny.

- if you are into science fiction, I recommend anything by Peter F. Hamilton. The 'Night's Dawn' series (starting with 'The Reality Dysfunction') should get you hooked.

- have you seen '300'? Interested in a non-comic-book take on the battle of Thermopylae? Read Stephen Pressfield's 'Gates of Fire' ('Thermopylae' literally means 'hot gates'). Absolutely excellent. Or just read Herodotus.

- speaking of ancient authors: if droning historical prose isn't your cup of tea, might I suggest Aristophanes? 'Lysistrata' and 'The Clouds' actually made me laugh out loud. (That could just be because of the MA in Classics thing.) The Satyricon by Petronius (the world's first actual novel, by the way) is also surprisingly well-suited to modern tastes.

I'm curious to see what literature you select. Please keep us informed.

FUCK? FUCK AND FUCK YOU. YOUR NOTHING BUT SHIT OKEY, ARE YOU ARE OFF BACK TO SENDER... YOUR ARE A BIG RAT OKEY FUCK YOUR SELF UP AND WHOM EVER THAT SUPPORT YOU, FOOL FUCK YOUR MOTHER WITH NO SPAM, RAT. - Kaosiso Chukwu

"Folken sheet like you.Beach,your mother and your house maid are folken themselves... Folk your folks... you comes when you are been fingered which makes you an idiot of sex luncering.You will never understand that english because it is not made for people like you." - Insane Idiot

Does your lad have too much time and phone credits on his hands? Have him call the Integrated Customer Service Call Centre at +1 206 905 9742! Dissatisfaction guaranteed!

United Kingdom x2 China Nigeria United States Ivory Coast x2 Closed lad accounts x?
Dionysius
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^ Definately Aristophanes. When I was in school the teachers had the great talent of making things really boring. Instead of taking the kids to a Shakespeare play they have the poor buggers read it in class. Usually kids don't like reading in class, or at least the dickheads I was in school with didn't.

Anyway, I was turned off the whole drama thing, until a wet day in the college library I picked up a copy of Aristophanes Clouds because I read everything else of remote interest. I almost pissed myself laughing. Jokes on farting, buggery, politicians, philopsophers, religion. You could say it's like Spitting Image on acid.

I read him before I did university.

RIP - Lad vampire and muguito were the gifts that kept on leeching. Greatly missed.

Information about Scams and their effects with great trophies - http://www.scam-info-links.info/ from Scam Patroller - http://www.romancescambaiter.com/ from wayne
mrsbean
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

heres_jonny wrote:
I've read all of Pratchett in about 10 days

Including the young adult books such as the Tiffany Aching/Nac Mac Feegle series and Maurice and His Educated Rodents? If not, I highly suggest them.

I *cough* screened them before giving them as Christmas presents. Ye shan't be disappointed even if you're over twelve.

Straightbait

Nifty anti-scam sites of interest
Artists Against 419 | Fraudwatchers |Scamomatic | Scampatroll Scam Victims United | Fake Checks Dot Org
heres_jonny
419Eater is my life

Location: My desk - a pile of work to the left of me, this computer to the right...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Yes, Pratchett's children's books are as good as his adult ones. There's a few books mentioned that I have already read to death (King, Orwell, Rankin and Reichs being the main culprits) but I'm amazed at the response on here!

I certainly have a lot of suggestions, and shall be trooping off to my local library with a list to seek out some of the titles mentioned here.

Radden wrote:
The Exorcist (1970s?) was a very good book..

Yes, in one of the earlier runs, the line "My name is Legion" was printed as a separate chapter on a page all to itself. Chilling!

Jen Derbender wrote:
I'll read technical manuals before going to sleep if that's what it takes.

Except when, as I once discovered, you fall asleep when reading them held above your face thanks to how heavy they are!

If you've read the flashman books, have you also tried the McAuslan books by MacDonald Fraser? Hilarious stuff.

I'll bore you all by letting you know what the local library had!

Thanks very, very much for all the suggestions here and in PMs Very Happy

"Well for now am just having fun with you but the day i will let you know that you have something that does not belong to you is coming and that will lead to your death i will let you know who i am but you will not live to see the next day ...look out for a black very tall his name is miko you have seen him but you never know he is coming for you. " - Mary Jane Kalo
Cellphone x 5 Mortar x14
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Nac Mac Feegles are wasted on kids Laughing

I've been inspired by a few of the books here.
After I've finished the Kathy Reichs and the next book I've got lined up, I'll look around for some of these suggestions

Anybody read the sequels to the Dune series, written by Frank Herbert's son I think, Are they any good?
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^Yeah, they're writen by his son Brian, who collaberated with Kevin J Anderson on the 'House' trilogy, they are surprisingly readable if not as good as the originals.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
Dupes
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm a fan of George Orwell's writings. Really is an eye opener about society in general. Of course "1984" is my favorite, but also "Homage to Catalonia" and "Animal Farm" are also very good works.

The thing I liked about Stephen Kings "The Shining" is how they dealt with the character Jack Torrance's alcoholism. The movie of the same name by Stephen Kubrick was very different from the novel, however I enjoyed them both.
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Thanks. Saw them in the shops and wondered.
Ah well, more books coming to my house soon.
Need bigger shelves.
Need bigger house.
I should really use some of the lottery money I keep wining or inherit, if only it would hurry up and come through.....
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

carter beats the devil by glen david gold is a good read.

Safari lagos to douala "i am tired of roaming west africa"

i like pretty flags. want your own?
46X United Kingdom 10X Cellphone 8X Nigeria 5X United States 5X Spain 5X Netherlands 4X Ghana 4X South Africa 4X Malaysia 3X Togo 3X Switzerland 3X (???) 2X Russia 2X Canada 2X Benin Sweden Isle Of Man Ivory Coast and a sierra leone diamond site.
Mortar x9
Nurse Nasty needs a new endoscope. Donate!
heres_jonny
419Eater is my life

Location: My desk - a pile of work to the left of me, this computer to the right...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Dupes: Like so many good books, the attempt to transpose them to a film often doesn't quite work. I think that's particularly true of Stephen King, where, apart from the Shining (sort of), I don't think the books have made very good films.

Personally, I'd recommend his early book Salem's Lot - absolutely brilliant story

Books I would steer clear of, by the way, are any books by Albert Camus. Unless you want to feel like hacking your own head off in despair afterwards!

"Well for now am just having fun with you but the day i will let you know that you have something that does not belong to you is coming and that will lead to your death i will let you know who i am but you will not live to see the next day ...look out for a black very tall his name is miko you have seen him but you never know he is coming for you. " - Mary Jane Kalo
Cellphone x 5 Mortar x14
Jen Derbender
flabbergasted

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@heres_jonny:

Quote:
If you've read the flashman books, have you also tried the McAuslan books by MacDonald Fraser? Hilarious stuff.

Love the semi-autobiographical stuff. When, as a young Army officer, I was first put in command of a platoon, one of my sergeants gave me 'The General Danced at Dawn'. Hilarious indeed. Just about anything by GMF ('Pyrates', 'Mr American') will keep me up reading.

@Dionysius:

His portrayal of Socrates still makes me laugh whenever I think about it.

FUCK? FUCK AND FUCK YOU. YOUR NOTHING BUT SHIT OKEY, ARE YOU ARE OFF BACK TO SENDER... YOUR ARE A BIG RAT OKEY FUCK YOUR SELF UP AND WHOM EVER THAT SUPPORT YOU, FOOL FUCK YOUR MOTHER WITH NO SPAM, RAT. - Kaosiso Chukwu

"Folken sheet like you.Beach,your mother and your house maid are folken themselves... Folk your folks... you comes when you are been fingered which makes you an idiot of sex luncering.You will never understand that english because it is not made for people like you." - Insane Idiot

Does your lad have too much time and phone credits on his hands? Have him call the Integrated Customer Service Call Centre at +1 206 905 9742! Dissatisfaction guaranteed!

United Kingdom x2 China Nigeria United States Ivory Coast x2 Closed lad accounts x?
zombie
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm a fan of Robin Hobbs Farseer trilogy if you can cope with fantasy adventure. Read them ones about 20 times. Also George R R Martins Game of thrones sage. (but thats very big set of 4 books so far).
Artemis
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Earlier in the thread TSNerd mentioned Jasper Fforde. He has written 6 books and they are all brilliant. http://www.jasperfforde.com

I am currently reading through all of Neil Gaiman's books and mostly enjoying them.

Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My favourite ever book was 'Illusions - The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah' by Richard Bach, where a new messiah decides to quit, and ends up barnstorming in a biplane that never kills flies. Wink

'Lord of the Rings' I enjoyed so much I failed some exams because I was busy reading it, and couldn't stop.

'On the Road' by Jack Kerouack is a good read, though I haven't read it for many years.

BTW, I see you've mentioned 'The Exorcist'. Like 'Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' was better on the radio because the pictures were better, the book is better than the film, it has telepathy and stuff that you could never describe on film as well as the book does.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
battery
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Somebody mentioned the Flashman series up there - I'd just like to second that, and third and fourth and fith it if possible!

DONATE
---

I don't deserve a pony Sad

of course you deserve a pony-lotta Very Happy
pony pony pony
Kickstart
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Asimov's foundation series will chew up a few night-time hours!

Tutorial - Backup your Gmail
Reverend Bondi Cigars
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Anything by Charles Bukowski. [Post Office, Women, Hollywood.....]

"FUCK YOU REVEREND CIGAR" [Fred Taylor] Hello Kitty!

"Hello Friend Rev Bondi Cigars, greetings in the name of Jesus Christ......I have some money now with me so that we can proceeds with the cleansing process......." [Reverend Michael]

"Father Bondi you said I should use explosive to open the safe......." [Reverend Michael again]

"Rev Bondi Cigars now see what you have cost for me , i will never forgive you!!!!!!!" [and again]
John Drake
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If you enjoy Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Roger Zelazny was superb. His Amber series is one of the best, and single novels, like Lord of Light are considered classics.

Tanya Huff has a series about a human/vampire team (Blood series) that is smart and sexy.

If you like these, ask me for more leads--I've got lots of them! Wink

"YOU GO TO HELL YOU DA FREAK GOD STRIKE YOU DEED RIT NOW HOW DARE YOU SAYE THOS THINS TO ME I AM CHRSTIAN AND DO NOT DO DOSE THINGS YOU ARE SIK SIK MAN!!!!
YOU NEVER NEVER RITE TO ME AGAN--EVAR EVAR!!! I WIL ASS GOD TO PUNISH YOU AND SEHND YOU TO HELL! YOU AR SO SIK IT MAKE ME ILL JUS THINKIN ABUT YOU SO CRAZY." -Dr Wily

Without this certificate, we are still where we are.
I can never trust you again. It will be hard for us to work together.
I have learnt so much from the disappointments i experienced from you. I can only thank you for wasting my precious time.
thanks for wasting my time all thes while. You have been a great friend, i can not deny that.
Thanks for not being there for me when it matters most. -Xu Chaofan
Dott. Giascopato
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

William Gibson

Some from: South Africa Netherlands United Kingdom Nigeria Switzerland United States Ivory Coast Indonesia Spain Germany Luxembourg Cayman Islands Bahamas, The Ghana Senegal Malaysia Togo Iraq Flag Mauritius Flag Mortar x7

Failure to complies with this order require a severe act by the mets and
purnishment by law. (The Metropolitan Police)

fork off.. ([email protected])
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Mary Gentle - especially the Ash trilogy.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
Goldry Bluszco
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dan Simmons Hyperion books are legend. Philip K Dick wrote the book on writing the book. Julian May Saga of the Exiles, brilliant. George RR Martin, superb.

pony
Jen Derbender
flabbergasted

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@My Toe:

I second the motion on the Hyperion books. I was going to include them in my big list above, but had to make the cut somewhere.

Quote:
Whan that Aprille with his shoures soote
The droghte of Marche hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour

Simmons proves that there is still magic in Chaucer.

B.L.Z. Bubb
Dudley Dooright

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

zombie wrote:
I'm a fan of Robin Hobbs Farseer trilogy if you can cope with fantasy adventure...

Second that, and would like to add the second series of Farseer books, The Tawny Man trilogy... Not as good as the Assassin books, but ties off the story really well...

I'm currently, very slowly, working my way through Anne Rice's Mayfair Witches trilogy... Still on book 1... Since Christmas... Since I don't have a 2 hour commute to work each day any more, I don't have the time to read like I used to...

"Please note for your information i am not boner,my name is bona Williams." - Reminded me of Shiver's "Ahoy Matey" quote...

"Maybe we should all just have an orgy and not worry about who belongs to whom." - from 419eater chat. This is what you're missing if you're not in it.

Kids, don't PostWhore for your Orange Name or you'll end up like me. Do the right thing. Donate.

Deaded Banks: Malaysia x2
pony Mortar x24
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic