SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Is this a scam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
The Example
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok so today a guy comes into the garage and wants to purchase a merc sl280 and a ml320 he is very keen on the ml telling that he can sell this in africa for �30k etc etc and is intending on clocking it etc but whilst he was looking at it he was on the phone to what seemed to be his money man and he is coming back to view again the morn now he was asking about payment terms etc i.e how he pay in a oner cheque/bankers draft.
What i want to know is, what is the worst that can happen? Im 99% this guy is a scammer but i want to know if the bank can recall the money the draft or transfer. It could be legit but i smell mugu.

williamnorris
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, as long as the cheque clears before you hand over the car - fine.

But why support scumbag scammers who are going to scam someone else? Confused

Fake bank kills: 2x United Kingdom

<a href="/forum/donate.php">Click here for enlightenment...</a>
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't forget that a check that is accepted at a bank could bounce at the clearing house and you could get done for passing dodgy checks.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

williamnorris wrote:

^^^^^ Incorrect, fake bank drafts often clear initially, it's even wors with stolen cheque drawn on a real account, the victims thinks the funds are good, but they are not, in reality, cheques NEVER clear, a bank can come back to you a year later and say the cheque was bad, you then owe your bank all the money to the value of the cheque if you have spent it.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
persephone
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ahem...... this guy is TELLING you that he is going to illegal stuff, and screw other people over in Africa, right? And you want to involve your legitimate business in this....... WHY????

Have a good look at SP's post as well please. The bank CAN and WILL recall the money if the cheque bounces.

Closed lad accounts loads
pony pony Mortar x46 United States 3x Canada Malaysia 2x Netherlands 2x Nigeria 2x Ghana 3x Ivory Coast 9x United Kingdom 3x Spain Bahamas, The Germany Australia Algerian Flag Togo 2x Cellphone Pretty Rose Safari 4 days of travel - 7 days stuck in airport
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There was a post on this forum the other day, but I can't find it, it was concerning car theft in Canada, in which Nigerians were involved, stealing high class cars, also hiring them with fake/stolen documents, then shipping them to Nigeria where a Mercedes can be sold for $100,000, the most popluar cars in this scam were cars like mercs and jeep type motors.

So, chances are, if he is a scammer, the car will be in a shipping container and out of the country before the cheque comes back as fake/stolen or whatever.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Example
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

williamnorris wrote:

But why support scumbag scammers who are going to scam someone else? Confused

Im not 100% sure he is a scammer and he could be legit................

spot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@The Example

The answers given above.. are all partially right and all partially wrong

Laws relating to negotiable instruments such as cheques, drafts, bankers drafts and the ilk are very complicated.

The best advise I can give you if you are in any doubt is go and ask your bank manager ...... you can then go and sue him for bad information if it goes wrong Wink

Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^what he said, it's really not worth the risk

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
Les Noise
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Get a certified check.... Cool

I believe when you received your payout you will compensate me.... .. Sure Will..

Jolly Roger

pony pony pony Mortar x11
The Example
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well i'd be confirming the draft or cheque at the branch it comes from but i still think this wont make much difference.
As for the bank manager i will enquire.
Thanks and Please feel free to continue adding your comments

GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Common belief is that bank drafts are as good as cash - WRONG !!!!!!!!!

The bank draft could be 100% genuine - you could ring the bank and they tell you it is 100% genuine - okay ? - NO !!!!!!!!!

If that bank draft is being used in a criminal transacton, even though you may be an innocent party, they will refuse payment (or reclaim the funds), even making you resort to law to try to force payment - and you'll probably fail. You will certainly fail if at any stage it appears you colluded or knew that the transaction involved deception of any type.

If you have the cars on show - get them safe and secure.

Why do you think criminals won't screw you over ?

You need to back out of this immediately. Head Office will only accept cleared funds paid in by bank to bank wired transfer. Watch his face as you tell him this. It will tell you all you need to know. Make sure you have people with you when you deal with them, and be apple pie nice. Have someone by a phone in case anything kicks off.

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Example wrote:
... what is the worst that can happen? ...

The worst? The check bounces after six weeks, you lose the car and are arrested for passing a bogus check.

If you want to be sure, demand cash. Small denominations. If he really has the money and is willing to pay for the car, he'll cough up the cash.

If not, he's a scammer.
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Keep in mind that he could also be using a stolen cheque or one that has been "washed". In that case, it could be quite some time before the account holder realizes just what happened, esp if it is a business account that has a large number of fairly big transactions going on.

Also, I have to agree with Persephone. If this person has told you that he's planning on ripping someone off, going along with it seems like bad business.

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
Jeff
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If it looks like a duck..........................
Just make sure that if he gives you cash there is enough chemical to get the notes clean!!! Laughing

IF IT IS TRUE YOU ARE WRITING AND PAYING TO WHO I DONT KNOW I MUST MAKE SURE I CUT YOUR THROAT,ARE YOU STUPID?CANT YOU READ?IS THAT MY EMAIL?ARE YOU CRAZY?ARE YOU MAD?ARE YOU AN IMBECILE?YOU PAYED TO HIM AND YOU ARE TELLING ME THAT YOU PAYED HIM MONEY,IS THAT MY EMAIL?FUCK YOUR WIFE AND SCREEW YOUR KIDS,IDIOT AND HOPLESS HUMAN BEING LIKE YOU.DIE AND ROT IN HELL
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>
Hong Kong France x2 Canada United States x2 United Kingdom x32 Ghana x12 Benin x2 Ivory Coast x2 cameroon Malaysia x7 Russia Spain x9 Netherlands Nigeria x7 Kenya Senegal Togo
pony GoatPretty Rose
Pith Helmet Accra to Tamale with Professor so/so
Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts x25or more
Jervis Tetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It is a duck!

If the lad truly wants the vehicle, offer to let him take a test-drive in it. Tell him that by motor vehicle dealer safety laws you are required to have a xerox of his drivers' license before you can let him drive or buy the car, NO exceptions! [Essentially 'put-up-or-shut-up].
.....See where that goes!
benjaminbunny
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^ What they all said, just to reinforce it. It walks like a duck to me Wink
Except, he's just as likely to have a fake license

Scamwarners.com Advice and info about scams
Jolly Roger pony
Jervis Tetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ben-bunny--

Yeah he might have a false name/address on the license. But if the whole license is a blatant fake then the cops can be called and he gets free room and board at the Hotel Graybars.
GeneralAbacha
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If it is a bank draft then confirm it with the issuing bank.

Also she said that we need to organized some girls for a lesbian club here , then we will used them and make money , but it will needs some financial support , that if you are here with us that it will be more easy to organized . I know some big girls here that in this lesbian club , they have nice sports car and live in good bungalow.

- Joyce Organ

I WOULD ADVICE YOU TO WRITE JUSTICE AMADU BELLO AND APPOLOGISE TO HIM, YOU SHOULD TELL HIM WHY YOU ARE SCARED IS BECAUSE OF THE BELLO IN HIS NAME. YOU SHOULD TELL HIM TO FIND YOUR HUSBAND FROM THE HANDS OF HOSTAGEER AND ARREST USMAN BELLO AND THE HOSTAGE GANGS.

-Charles Soludo
JoeTam
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with KD. Cash only. While counting it out, you could have a cup of coffee. On the house of course. That should make him happy.
mike hunter
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Only take CASH. And use a counterfiet pen and UV light to confirm that it is not counterfeit. Even the pen is not 100% with bill washing a small bill can be turned into a large bill. But the UV light can tell you the real story as all bills have a stripe that glows a certain color and is in a specified place. Oops I did not notice that you are not in the US.. so YMMV with the pen and light.

You might also want to alert the police and see if they want to sting this loser.

harrya
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Banks in Oz wont even clear a Treasurary check anymore it used to be easy to cash a tax return or other government cheque. I always wondered why. Now I fully understand.

419Eater is my life

Location: Atascadero State Hospital for the Criminally Insane

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A friend of mine had to fight the heck out of his insurance to get paid for a nice BMW that He handed over to a scammer with a fake check. He even had to hassle with the police. Never found the car, though.
mrsbean
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

spotthepot wrote:

The best advise I can give you if you are in any doubt is go and ask your bank manager ...... you can then go and sue him for bad information if it goes wrong Wink

Not unless you were to get it in writing, signed and witnessed. Verbal commitments aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Straightbait

Nifty anti-scam sites of interest
Artists Against 419 | Fraudwatchers |Scamomatic | Scampatroll Scam Victims United | Fake Checks Dot Org
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic