SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Windows Vista and BT Broadband help

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok, got a new laptop today (yesterday, now), been messing about with it since tea time, it's got Vista home premium on it.

The problem I have got is, I can't get online with it, I have a BT Voyager 105 modem for my broadband connection on this computer, I put the broadband setup CD in the laptop and it started installing it, got right near the end of the progress bar and then said ERROR Mad

Something about there are drivers missing, after several hours, I just noticed on the CD booklet that it says, compatible with Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, and XP Embarassed Mad, the CD is about 2 years old and obviously wont work on Vista, does this mean I have to buy a new modem, or is there a way around this without getting a new modem?

The laptop has got an inbuilt Motorola modem, I think I could only get dial up using that, right?

This is what I got from Currys, got it as a package with an all in one printer/scanner/copier, laptop carry bag, Microsoft Works 8.5, and 1 year of Norton internet security 2007, great Rolling Eyes

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/372223

ADVENT 7113 INTEL CELERON M 430 PROCESSOR 1.73GHz LAPTOP

Intel Celeron M Processor 430 1.73GHz
533MHz FSB
1MB Cache
1024MB RAM
80 GB Hard Drive
DVD ReWriter MultiDrive
15.4" Widescreen Display
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
128MB Intel UMA 950 Graphics
1 year Free warranty

Fuller specs here:

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/computing/computers/laptops/877875/details

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
wayne
Account closed at users request

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a 205 here so I'm assuming they're fairly similar. How are you connecting it to the PC? Through USB or the ethernet connector? If it's USB then swap it to ethernet and see what happens. If you're lucky your firewall will see a new connection and ask you to ok it. You should then be able to connect without having to install any of BT's software.

(edit) this is assuming you already had the modem connected to the internet through the old PC

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, I am using the modem on the Windows ME computer at the moment, have been since 2004, so I know it works properly.

The way it's connected to this PC is through a micro filter in the phone socket, that goes in the back of the modem, and a blue usb cable with square socket goes from the modem to the usb on the back of the computer, tried the same on the laptop, got through the setup procedure on the BT CD, where it tells you not to plug the blue cable in to the modem or computer yet, then it said to connect it, and then plug in to the laptop usb, shortly after, that's when I got the drivers error.

Quote:
If it's USB then swap it to ethernet and see what happens. If you're lucky your firewall will see a new connection and ask you to ok it. You should then be able to connect without having to install any of BT's software.

You knew there were going to be more questions Razz, so, what's ethernet and how do I swap to that?

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
IP Freely
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t2591.html

Quote:
Hi, i got the same problem, i got in touch with BT , and they said that they are discontinuing the bt voyager 105, and they will not be bringing out any new drivers for vista, i have searched all over the place for updates, but to no avail.

Google finds a bunch of other stuff, but it's no help.
wayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

After Googling the 105, it doesn't look like there's an ethernet connector on it so you're out of luck with that option. If you're interested I have a 205 hanging around here you can have which does have the ethernet connector on it.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That's a git about the 105 not being supported any more, I just found this as well about an update for the 105 drivers, but I think this is for the new "total broadband", not normal broadband, or is it:

Quote:
Applies to all BT Broadband products and to products formerly known as BT Openworld Home 500 Plug & Go and BT Yahoo! Broadband 1Mb with modem.

http://www.btyahoo.com/drivers

At the bottom of the page it says:

Quote:
Patch 05: Voyager 105 USB ISO mode upgrade

Would it be worth me downloading that, copying it to CD and sticking that in the laptop?

DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Have you tried to call the support line for your ISP and ask them. I know that they usually just say call the modem help people. But they might help.

It sounds like you have a USB broadband modem not the type that connects using a network card connection.

Yes I would try the download thing. It can't hurt, I don't think.
Did you try the latest modem router drivers?

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

DrWho wrote:
Did you try the latest modem router drivers?

Those router drivers are for different modems to the one I have, don't think I will download that Voyager 105 update file either, been looking on the BT Voyager site and it's not compatible with Vista:

http://www.voyager.bt.com/index.htm

@ Wayne, just seen your offer of the 205 modem, how would that work, is it that I load the 205 on my Windows ME computer, and connect it to my computer with the usb like I am doing with the 105, then run an ethernet cable from the 205 modem to the laptop and connect like that without having to click a broadband dial up icon on the laptop, what I mean is, do I connect to broadband on the ME computer and the laptop would be automatically connected because it's plugged in to the modem which ME is connected to broadband with?

wayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Seems the 205 isn't Vista compatible either. Another reason to scrap Vista and go with XP Evil or Very Mad

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^ Wayne, I replied to your PM, posting the same message here, see this page, look at the second table called Ethernet Routers where the Voyager 205 is listed:

http://www.voyager.bt.com/selfhelp/shc/drivers.htm

It shows Voyager 205 as being compatible for "ethernet" only use on Vista. Every other operating systrem up to Vista, it can be used for Ethernet & USB, obviously, there are no drivers for it on Vista as it's not compatible s a USB modem, but it would be ok to use it on the laptop as ethernet as you would not need the drivers for ethernet, you only need the drivers for the USB side, yes?

mantadog
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I really do pitty anyone who buys a computer with vista on it right now, nobody as drivers out for it.

If the 105 model doesn't have an ethernet connection and they are not going to bother puting out drivers for its a bit of a lost cause.

I presume you got your modem sent out through BT, if so then they should send you out a nice new one if you give them a call and ask them. However after spending most of the weekend without internet trying to tell them they did actualy send me my modem out (somehow the nice indian man was convinced that BT dont send out my type of modem) it may not be that easy.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic