SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

The switch to Ubuntu

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Since this seems to be coming up a lot more, I found a site that has a bunch of how-tos on using many of the popular Linux distros. A quick glance and it seems to have step by step instructions for installation, what to think about before and after. Looks like a good place to start if you have thought about switching or trying Linux.

http://linuxmonitor.blogspot.com/2007/03/ultimate-ubuntu-performance-tweaking.html

http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_ubuntu6.10

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"

Last edited by DrWho on Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Radden
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

"on using many of the popular Linux distros."

*grinds teeth...*

Besides my joking around about Linux, I would not like it because of the command lines used. However, I do know quite a few linux command lines believe it or not.. go go msdos, chmod, etc.

If I run a REAL server, I'd go with linux, that's unstoppable when it comes to running a server.

sorry for the thread invasion Laughing
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't know the first one. Chmod, very good. grep, chown, su are some others.

Don't you have some patches to install or some viruses to scan for? Oh wait, it isn't the third Tuesday of the month. We can wait until you are verified as the rightful owner and reboot. Sorry I couldn't resist since you where here anyway. Very Happy

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
419weasel
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I was thrown into using a Sun system at work.. Shocked Now I have to learn how to use a computer all over again!! Laughing

Click for lad pain. - New to the forum? Introduce yourself HERE!
Easter Egg 2012 pony Turns that frown upside down- TS
Mc Fry
<-- Official 419Eater buns awarded by Luther Blissett, bun-enabler extraordinaire.
Pith Helmet Remy D1ckson - 1,000 miles from Abidjan, Cote D'Ivoire to Lagos, Nigeria and back!

Lad Quotes
http://members.419eater.com/~419weasel/ladquotes.html
Radden
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
on't you have some patches to install or some viruses to scan for?

Nope, everything is up to date.. Thank you very much for asking. I had one virus on my computer in the last three years, thanks again for asking Smile. The virus was my OWN mistake. Though you don't get viruses on Linux, that makes them perfectly legitimate to use of course, because every user will know how to use them from the start (like windows), correct? Wink.

Linux, from what I heard.. Takes time to learn, windows is straight forward and can play games and a double click of the mouse button will bring up your game. While you have to have games that are specially for windows/Linux combined. Isn't it weird how they'd combine those two? Isn't it weird how they come out with the windows distro first? Wink.

PS: I would VERIFY my system and not look like some stupid script kiddy that *thinks* that he cracked some software. I have authentic software, so I shouldn't be worried, should I?
remu
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually software piracy isn't just that... I work at a business who works hard to keep everything legally licensed, and just recently one of our computers started reporting it couldn't verify the legality of the install... turns out the people we purchased that computer from were using pirated XP codes on their computers and selling them Evil or Very Mad

Of course they're out of business now, so they don't have to buy a new license for it, we do Rolling Eyes

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What on earth is wrong with Linux's command line? Bash and Tcsh are nicer than MS's CLI but really on either OS, you don't need to use the command line at all if you don't want to.

Depending on the Distro, it shouldn't take more than a day to learn Linux for general purposes.

419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I could never get on-line with Umbunto. But I am crap with things like that.
I only had a try to get away from Windows. In the end I got a mac loads less hassel

MAY YOU DIE A DEAD BEFORE YOUR DEATH.

iF YOU KNOW THAT YOU HAVE A TESTICLE BETWEEN YOUR TWO LEG GO AND GIVE YOUR
MOTHER BELLE EWU LIKE YOU
www.owenswinebar.co.nr
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Radden, Windows is easy to use from the start, simply because it is what you were brought up with. Try giving it to someone who's never even seen a mouse. Anyway, the KDE desktop is Windows near as makes no difference.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
GoldDalek
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OK, I've decided to bite the bullet and switch to Ubuntu. I've dowloaded the ISO and burnt that to a CD.

Trouble is, I will want to use it on my existing gaming machine and rather than backup everything (over 50 GB of music and about 10Gb of other stuff) and reinstall Windows, I would like to slap a second harddrive in my machine and install it on there.

Two questions:

1) Is it easy to do? Specifically, can someone point in the direction of a 'How to...'

2) Can I use (i.e. read/write, create folders, etc - No running programs or anything just file manipulation) an NTFS/FAT32 volume from within Linux?

The idea being I would like to use the PC bit for my games and (my primary slave HD) Linux for everything else.

Thanks for your help. Very Happy

pony <---- because sometimes a rose just isn't enough- TS
Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts

Get a shiny name here - Internet Fraud Centre
Angel
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

GoldDalek wrote:
1) Is it easy to do? Specifically, can someone point in the direction of a 'How to...'
It is the tiniest bit trickier than installing Windows, but yes, it is easy to do and aren't those How Tos in the OP?
GoldDalek wrote:
2) Can I use (i.e. read/write, create folders, etc - No running programs or anything just file manipulation) an NTFS/FAT32 volume from within Linux?
Yes you can.

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Angel

Thanks for that. :slaps head:

Going to try it tonight! Very Happy

pony <---- because sometimes a rose just isn't enough- TS
Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts

Get a shiny name here - Internet Fraud Centre
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Radden wrote:
The virus was my OWN mistake. Though you don't get viruses on Linux, that makes them perfectly legitimate to use of course, because every user will know how to use them from the start (like windows), correct? Wink.
I knew how to use Linux from the start. I knew how to use Windows from the start before that. OS/2, RISC OS, you get the idea. I didn't know how to use Amiga from the start, since I'd never used a computer before, but anything with a Windows/Icons/Menus/Pointer interface, I can now get to grips with.

If you've only used one OS, sure you'll find it a bit tricky to use anything else. Took me about a week to understand the differences between Linux and others, which is probably about the same as it took me with Windows. On the other hand, I know people who've had Windows for years and still don't really know what it's doing.

@GoldDalek: You can definitly read/write FAT32, but you might find that you can only read NTFS by default on Ubuntu. However, there's a howto for enabling read/write support here.

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
Miss Behaving
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ivor Grimey Colon wrote:
RISC OS

YAY RISC OS! I used it growing up, only started using Windows at 16/17. Never felt 'right'. Now I use Mac OS X, but I still miss a lot of the RISC OS features, not least the speed and built-in ROM apps and slightly different window handling system.

That and it all seemed a lot simpler to dig into the applications and see how they worked, design your own folder structures, etc.

Tae
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

GoldDalek wrote:

It is quite easy. There should be a little graphic on your new hd that will show you where to put the jumper (tiny little plastic thing on the back of your hd) to make that your slave hd. That way your computer will start from your first hard disk.

There are two plugs to put in your hd. Just look at your first one and it should be obvious how to do that.

That's it!

"DO YOU LOVE ME?IF YES THEN CALL ME LETS MAKE LOVE ON THE PHONE." DR.CLIFFORD ANDERSON

Kill a bank a day!
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ In my experience, the hardest bit is keeping it in place while you try and screw it into the case Laughing

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Radden
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I might make a bootable disk of linux (ubuntu does sound interesting). Just to show everyone that I'll be fair.. I doubt I'll stick with it though. I can stand Macs, but I doubt I can stand linux, as most of the things need to be compiled.

PROOF

Last edited by Radden on Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Radden wrote:
I doubt I can stand linux, as most of the things need to be compiled.
*Raises FUD protectors*
If you're using Gentoo Linux, everything needs to be compiled, but even them it's mostly automatic.
With all other mainstream distros (Debian/Ubuntu, Redhat, SuSE, Mandriva, etc) there's repositories of most of the packages you'll ever need (especially in the case of Debian/Ubuntu, where the repositories are HUGE), all in precompiled binary format Smile

If you're installing an obscure kernel module or a very early version of a program, it's possible that you'll need to compile (even then it's just a case of entering "./configure && make && make install" at the command line), but to say that "most" things need to be compiled is incorrect.

If you're going to play with a bootable disk (or "Live CD"), K/Ubuntu is a good example of a typical distribution, but alternatively Knoppix has a wider range of applications, desktop environments, etc (although is much less polished than Ubuntu), and demonstrates some excellent hardware dectection.

Tae
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Radden wrote:
I can stand Macs, but I doubt I can stand linux, as most of the things need to be compiled.

Sounds like your experience with Linux is rather limited Wink

For example to install Thunderbird you just type "apt-get install mozilla-thunderbird" in a shell. A few minutes later Thunderbird is installed.

In my opinion that's even easier than in Windows.

Ivor Grimey Colon wrote:
In my experience, the hardest bit is keepIn my experience, the hardest bit is keeping it in place while you try and screw it into the case

Psst, let him find out a few things on his own Laughing

"DO YOU LOVE ME?IF YES THEN CALL ME LETS MAKE LOVE ON THE PHONE." DR.CLIFFORD ANDERSON

Kill a bank a day!
junaitari
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I can't believe that no one has mentioned openSUSE. I've been through quite a few distros in the past year and have found it to be my favorite. I much prefer it over Ubuntu.

Oh, by the way, this is my first post even though I've been a member for quite sometime.
Radden
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

okay i'm on linux right now, Ubuntu and I just downloaded skype.. Now to figure out how to install it Razz

and holy cow, this screen is TINY.. I can hardly see what i'm typing.. can anyone direct me to where I can change this?

Yep, I don't know how to install it Sad

and I don't see a skype package for Ubuntu Sad.. ah well.

Last edited by Radden on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
mark2
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Radden

Try puppy linux runs entirely in ram, even supports my laptop wireless card.

Unlike many other livecd distros you can remove the cd if you want to use that drive for burning a cd.

http://www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've just installed Kubutu on Parallels after hours of misery with Debian, and I am smitten after 5 mins, I can see why people like Linux Razz

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

And Konqerer seems much faster then Firefox

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts

Last edited by Rodus on Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Im in love Laughing

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic